Central Coast Mariners

They'd be crazy to move them but it says a lot about the way that the league is set up. Between the licence fees, the crazy way that expansion clubs are selected and no promotion/relegation, how else can you do it?

It would have made more sense for City group to start their own club from the ground up but within the current structures they had to buy an existing team that wore red, gut the existing setup, change the name, change the colours to, blue etc. It's not like they bought in to the location, the stadium or the fanbase because it was Melbourne Heart.

Reading into the SBS article, it says there's four clubs Charlesworth has spoken to: Manchester United, Leeds United, Sheffield United and Everton.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/manchester-united-one-of-a-number-of-clubs-to-have-discussed-buying-mariners-says-ceo

Personally, I feel the two clubs that have the potential to own the Mariners are Everton or Sheffield United. 

Charlesworth agreed in a partnership with Scarborough Group International back in 2009 which is basically owned by Kevin McCabe and he also owns 50% Sheffield United, the other half is owned by Saudi prince Abdullah bin Musa'ad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud which owns other clubs like Beerschot, Kerala United and Al Hilal United. So, they are loaded with money between the two of them. Plus, they offered players from Sheffield United to be loaned one season to help Mariners. So, the connection between Charlesworth and Sheffield United seems to be pretty strong.

Everton and Mariners arranged an agreement back in 2015 where Everton could use their under 21 players to be loaned to Everton (even though it's never happened) and Mariners players potentially being signed by Everton (probably how City Football Group would use Melbourne City, I'd assume). 

Then again, I could be wrong...

The thing I do get is why they want to move the club to the Northern Suburbs?. They just given up their partnership with Northbridge FC which is now owned by Macarthur FC which is basically in that catchment area. Plus, they are also in Sydney FC territory.

If they decide to play in North Sydney Oval, that's a step backwards as the capacity is 16,000. Plus, why on earth would you play on an oval field? It's s*it and the fans don't feel they are close to the game (that's how I felt at Soul-less Stadium). However, if they decide to play at Brookvale Oval (I refuse to call it Lottoland cause that name is s*it) then it could work out. 

Good luck to them if they do get purchased by one of the four clubs.

I don't understand why they just create two new licences and offer them to these powerhouses (pending location and other metrics)
Surely CCM earned the right to exist in their own right and surely a bigger club than WU and more spine than those "invented" Cows.

Matter of fact, we need another 4 teams to make it a proper 30 round league - Gold Coast, Wollongong + 2 others.

4 minutes ago, alexd said:

I don't understand why they just create two new licences and offer them to these powerhouses (pending location and other metrics)
Surely CCM earned the right to exist in their own right and surely a bigger club than WU and more spine than those "invented" Cows.

Matter of fact, we need another 4 teams to make it a proper 30 round league - Gold Coast, Wollongong + 2 others.

Tassie,Canberra,Wollongong,Darwin.

Personally moving and re-branding the Mariners is dumb idea. Charlesworth played with the idea and it has failed Canberra and North Sydney he flirted with. Plus its disrespecting the history Mariners do have in the A-league.... selfishly it also removes my day out that I have in Gosford and Central Coast beaches

16 hours ago, alexd said:

I agree - the amount of changes and rebranding these big clubs do when they take over, they may as well start from scratch.

The Mariners have been up for sale for ages and Charlesworth is rumoured to be handing back the license at the end of the season. If no-one wants to buy them to keep them in Gosford, do the other clubs who now already own Newcastle step in again to run the Mariners?

1 hour ago, mack said:

The Mariners have been up for sale for ages and Charlesworth is rumoured to be handing back the license at the end of the season. If no-one wants to buy them to keep them in Gosford, do the other clubs who now already own Newcastle step in again to run the Mariners?

But that is the whole thing - the FFA/PFA (or whatever its called) need to realise that franchises need to be granted for the long term and for the growth of the game.
If every new buyer wants to be in Sydney and Melbourne, then the 20K members we can rally (and the 12-15-20K the scum can muster) will decimate to below 15-10K and lower as the number of clubs per capital city increase.

Look at the cows - they will never get to our numbers.

We need to grow and promote the game in regional centres + other larger cities, where we (as a code) can saturate the local media and grassroots clubs and aim for 5K-10K regular fans - in a lot of countries around the world, that is all they have and still make it financially viable.

Additional to our TV/viewing rights (which it appears to be happening), we also need big $$$ owner interests, smaller stadiums and have an official airline onboard - these last two would lower costs considerably.

The Gong or Canberra (if they were to join) would be as big as CCM and Newcastle - and as population grows around these areas, capture newbies with better marketing + offerings (but don't change the game or the atmosphere to appease the non-football crowd). Why p!ss *ff some 6000/9000 members respectively just to move to a capital city and have the same number of fans or even lower, like Western United or Macarthur.

I feel if Charlesworth decided to move the club to any other location, it's a big massive "up yours" to the dedicated die hard Mariner fans like Middy.

Plus, Central Coast Stadium is a beautiful stadium in my opinion. Despite that Central Coast Mariners use it as their home stadium, what else is that stadium used for? I think the Sydney Roosters play 1 or 2 games there during the NRL season, that's it. 

As alexd said, if there's clubs that are looking to have some license to own an A-League club, why don't they put a bid in and also show which location they want the club to be at?

Edited by MathyouWSW
20 hours ago, alexd said:

But that is the whole thing - the FFA/PFA (or whatever its called) need to realise that franchises need to be granted for the long term and for the growth of the game.
If every new buyer wants to be in Sydney and Melbourne, then the 20K members we can rally (and the 12-15-20K the scum can muster) will decimate to below 15-10K and lower as the number of clubs per capital city increase.

Look at the cows - they will never get to our numbers.

We need to grow and promote the game in regional centres + other larger cities, where we (as a code) can saturate the local media and grassroots clubs and aim for 5K-10K regular fans - in a lot of countries around the world, that is all they have and still make it financially viable.

Additional to our TV/viewing rights (which it appears to be happening), we also need big $$$ owner interests, smaller stadiums and have an official airline onboard - these last two would lower costs considerably.

The Gong or Canberra (if they were to join) would be as big as CCM and Newcastle - and as population grows around these areas, capture newbies with better marketing + offerings (but don't change the game or the atmosphere to appease the non-football crowd). Why p!ss *ff some 6000/9000 members respectively just to move to a capital city and have the same number of fans or even lower, like Western United or Macarthur.

70% of the country lives in the 5 major cities, that's why all the people wanting to buy a license off the Mariners or Jets want to open a new team in Sydney or Melbourne.

Macarthur's 3750 average crowd is because they are in an area with half the population of Gosford that is still independent enough from the rest of Sydney that people in Liverpool don't care about them, let alone their alleged "fanbase" in Fairfield or Bankstown. Plus Covid of course.

I've said for ages that the only way the league will be nationally viable in the long term is clubs actually building their own boutique stadiums & licensed venues to go along with them, to boost revenue beyond just the TV rights deals (which will likely be less than $3 million a season per team at least until the 2030s, which is only enough to pay the salary costs of the players & some of the coaching staff). The good thing is that for regional teams they are in the best position to actually get that kind of thing up and running.

I would include requirements & plans for a venue & stadium into future expansions. Assuming the league stays in the current operation procedure with 'franchises' rather than an open league with P/R from a future 2nd division.

• 1 month later...

Considering our last few seasons and the size or lack of size of our budget...thrown in the worst owner in the league.

We came third, had two games stolen by var ..

Improved every player with a Socceroo from a cast aside be and if rumours are true 4 Olyroos...

Would love to go all the way.

From day one our fav chant ends in

Nobody rates us

We don't care

Just sharing a great feeling after so many poor years.

58 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Is that resigned or re-signed?

LOL

Re signed.

Further a forum poster has said aside DDS the in midfield has re signed so Nizzy, Stenosis, Olly, 

Best of all Staj is said to be very happy and intends stay.

Having the core of the side signed is something we have not had for years

Pretty sure Stajcic grew up as a Westie. But, his heart has always been with Sydney FC.

However, it would be awesome if he replaced Robinson. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll happen since Lederer is giving Robinson another shot for the upcoming season. It'll be interested to see where Stajcic goes from here. Maybe he could be the Wanderers Women's coach?

Fun fact: I've probably said this on here before...but Stajcic was a PE teacher at my high school for about a year and he met his wife (Brenda) at the same school. She's an arts teacher.