Brisbane Roar

12 hours ago, mack said:

15 goals from 44 apps in League 2 last year isn't that bad.

The Roar were absolutely dreadful last year only barely beating the Mariners to the spoon and finishing 6 points behind us. Right now they look better than the Jets, Mariners, WU & Nix.

I'd say 4 to 6 is their area right now, it's a solid looking squad with some hardened pros. League 1 & 2 aren't La Liga or B1 but you don't hang around there in that cutthroat environment without having something to offer.

Yep. Fowler obviously watched last season's replay and went, stiffen the defence and we'll play balls over the top. I reckon we are going old fashioned hoofball. It won't be pretty and likely to yellow cards aplenty.

13 hours ago, mack said:

15 goals from 44 apps in League 2 last year isn't that bad.

The Roar were absolutely dreadful last year only barely beating the Mariners to the spoon and finishing 6 points behind us. Right now they look better than the Jets, Mariners, WU & Nix.

I'd say 4 to 6 is their area right now, it's a solid looking squad with some hardened pros. League 1 & 2 aren't La Liga or B1 but you don't hang around there in that cutthroat environment without having something to offer.

If the Nix Steve Taylor is the measure: he played most of his career in EPL, while Fowler's boys are primarily coming from League One and Two - doesn't sound like good news. Saying that: Le Fondre played most of his games in League Two as well. So Fowler's approach might just work.

However: there is the heat and (more importantly) humidity in Brisbane to consider. Fitness will be key. A bigger issue: an unproven coach is up against the old war horses MB, Kurz, Merrick, Verbeek, Mombaerts, Popovic, plus the HAL-savvy coaches Corrica or Rudan - unless there is a managerial raw diamond sitting underneath Fowler's surface, Roar will be in big trouble. Being compact and keeping it simple won't cut it.

On 29 June 2019 at 2:15 PM, mack said:

I think the Roar's owners haven't given Fowler a lot of cash to spend and they have told him to just be solid and not to get us embarrassed like last season. I don't think they're going to get top 4 but finals is possible.

I can think of two or three teams they might leave behind them, but not five. Even Neville completing Fowler's All Whites won't change that. They might surprise us all, but I somehow doubt it. 

17 minutes ago, FCB said:

I can think of two or three teams they might leave behind them, but not five. Even Neville completing Fowler's All Whites won't change that. They might surprise us all, but I somehow doubt it. 

I put the teams in the following zones, based on current squad and likely investment coming for new signings:

1st & 2nd: Perth, SFC

3rd to 5th: City, Victory

6th to 8th: Adelaide, Western United, Brisbane

9th to 11th: Jets, Nix, Mariners

I wouldn't give WSW a zone until we see what the striker looks like. On current squad we should play finals. With a good marquee striker, and hopefully a '6th' foreigner, top 4. I'm not being too overconfident about this season as we have a huge distance to catch up to Perth & SFC.

For all the hype the Nix under Rudan generated last year they only finished 6th by 5 points over Newcastle. If Rudan can't recreate the "magic" with Western United they have ever chance of missing finals. Adelaide have to deal with a new manager whose last job saw him win just 2 games in 21 and take them from outside the relegation zone to dead last. Roar look like being a hoofball English side and Fowler knows that game and has signed players for it. Possibility of finals yes.

Roar have been rumored they could be signing Kiwi goalkeeper Max Crocombe.

Everytime I think of him, I always think of this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/salford-and-new-zealand-under20s-goalkeeper-max-crocombe-sent-off-for-urinating-midmatch/news-story/cff2d89adde1e04b18bb8c3956b018f0

Anyway, he has a duel passport (New Zealand/Australia). 

I don't see if happening cause surely Fowler would still use Young as the first choice goalkeeper despite the fact they are in need of a 2nd goalkeeper. 

@Paul01 I posted about it weeks ago...

On 07/07/2019 at 12:52 AM, MathyouWSW said:

Roar have been rumored they could be signing Kiwi goalkeeper Max Crocombe.

Everytime I think of him, I always think of this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/salford-and-new-zealand-under20s-goalkeeper-max-crocombe-sent-off-for-urinating-midmatch/news-story/cff2d89adde1e04b18bb8c3956b018f0

Anyway, he has a duel passport (New Zealand/Australia). 

I don't see if happening cause surely Fowler would still use Young as the first choice goalkeeper despite the fact they are in need of a 2nd goalkeeper. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

They just played a friendly against QNPL team Penisula Power (3rd place) and drew 2-2

Just read a summary of the game from a Roar perspective.

Worried about O'Donovan

Worried about left side defence especially Gillepsy

Worried that Fowler has underestimated the quality of the league and that's how he recruited.

Young is now the the backup keeper.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2019 at 9:53 PM, Paul01 said:

Just read a summary of the game from a Roar perspective.

Worried about O'Donovan

Worried about left side defence especially Gillepsy

Worried that Fowler has underestimated the quality of the league and that's how he recruited.

Young is now the the backup keeper.

Same issue in their game against the Vuck. Even their supporters are sounding despondent. And Round 4 next weekend they face us at Bankwest 5.00pm.

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

It was sad watching that game last night, tbh.

I dunno 

Was able to get a 20 minute snooze in and didn’t miss anything

1 hour ago, LeeMarvin said:

Nah, their main problem is that they used John Farnham for their walkout song.

What nong thought that shît is worthy of the status of a walk out song. Nothing is going to engage with the young fans of the Meow and get them pumped up more than a song that is on high rotation on 2CH.

17 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

What nong thought that shît is worthy of the status of a walk out song. Nothing is going to engage with the young fans of the Meow and get them pumped up more than a song that is on high rotation on 2CH.

On 20/10/2019 at 11:30 AM, Edinburgh said:

@wendybr

When you talk of this needing an uplifting song, does this fit the bill?

There are some wonderful lyrics. It is well known and easy to sing along with.

Imagine Wanderland in full voice.

(And, yes Boro, it has bagpipes)

:ninja: