Wellington Phoenix

When we were linked with Frazier Campbell at the start of the transfer window and he said he didn't want to leave England, this guy was basically at the top of the free agent list no matter which way those lists were sorted. Questions mark over his knees apparently, but a fantastic signing.

I really like seeing Wellington do well. Fantastic city, fantastic people, fantastic away trip.

And it has nothing to do with the fact I found my now wife on an away trip there in 2016. haha

6 hours ago, Pup55 said:

Gary Hooper and Obafemi Martins are the two names I've just been told.

Martins would be a huge name for the A League even if he is passed it. Plenty of us wanted Hooper in the off season too (Think @Taurus said his knees are no good).

Hooper is decent, but I wouldn't expect him to light up the league. He was signing for an Iranian club on Monday & has signed for Nix on Thursday. $$$ not enough?

Le Fondre arrived here with no fanfare & has to most, exceeded expectations. 

Campbell would have been another level above those two.

20 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Hooper is decent, but I wouldn't expect him to light up the league. He was signing for an Iranian club on Monday & has signed for Nix on Thursday. $$$ not enough?

Le Fondre arrived here with no fanfare & has to most, exceeded expectations. 

Campbell would have been another level above those two.

Campbell is 70 on FIFA tho

31 minutes ago, marron said:

Unlimited, I'd be very interested if you could test the fifa rating to match rating correlation for all our players since inception and publish your findings here. 

Whilst you're at it you may as well provide arrival ratings, departure ratings & positive or negative movement in such ratings. Thanks 

20 minutes ago, FCB said:

When a Hooper can't find a semi decent employer in the UK, and ends up in NZ instead, then you know there is something not quite right. I'd say the rumours about his knees are true. Still, quite a signing for the Nix. 

Not everyone is in it just for money though. Sometimes people can just want to experience another lifestyle even if they could stay in-situ for more coin. Maybe it wasn't a financial decision.

1 hour ago, Pup55 said:

He apparently knocked back deals from clubs in the Championship and League 1.

Dodgy knee or not, I'd say he's got plenty left to offer.

I'd be interested to know what Championship clubs he knocked back given he rarely started for Wednesday last season. However he could end up being another Le Fondre (lower Champ/Upper League 1 standard) but Le Fondre had the advantage of a decent squad around him.

34 minutes ago, Pup55 said:

They may be 0 & 2, but a lot to like about the way Wellington have started this year.

Hooper in place of Sotirio and they'll be a real handful.

Still think they're in for a long season. Yes, when you lead the line with Shotirio things may not work out as well as they would with a SPL quality attacker. However they have done well so far in no small part due to the motivation of playing against Tarnheit and Rudan, and yesterday they had Ufuk Talay with all his insights into the Smurfs helping out.

They will be a hard nut on occasion, as per the Mariners, yet they don't have enough quality across the entire pitch to make a serious run this season. They'll cause some shock results but they'll be a bottom 2 club at the end of the season.

Before Hooper signed, I was expecting them to be Wooden spooners but now he has signed for them and saw what the nux was capable of against the smurfs, I think Hooper would have finished off those chances on Sunday night so I think they will get close to finish in top 6

On 22/10/2019 at 8:37 AM, Pup55 said:

Happy to have a wager that they finish 8th or better.

They're $2.25 favourites to win the spoon with the TAB, so you'll get good odds about CCM, Jets or Adl winning that prize.n

Nix were decent in our pre-season friendly, much better defensively than CCM & equal to Jets overall  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...