Pirmin Schwegler

mack

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

"I can see they are good guys and good football players, very athletic. It’s going to be tough. I love it. I love this challenge. [...]The most important thing for me now I’m here is to play football at a high level, and help show them how we work in Europe, and maybe help them find a way to Europe.[...] The club is growing up, has a good mentality and many talented young players. I think they are the future and I’m here to help them."

A true leader. Schwegler communicates very clearly why he is here, what he is here for, and what everyone can expect from him. This is very different from previous imports, and not just because many of them were struggling with the English language.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2019 at 10:55 AM, FCB said:

"I can see they are good guys and good football players, very athletic. It’s going to be tough. I love it. I love this challenge. [...]The most important thing for me now I’m here is to play football at a high level, and help show them how we work in Europe, and maybe help them find a way to Europe.[...] The club is growing up, has a good mentality and many talented young players. I think they are the future and I’m here to help them."

A true leader. Schwegler communicates very clearly why he is here, what he is here for, and what everyone can expect from him. This is very different from previous imports, and not just because many of them were struggling with the English language.

Showed plenty of heart yesterday.

He came off the worst when he suffered a head clash / stray elbow above his eye. He was in obvious pain & his feelings were clearly audible from the stands. He left the field with the doctor & probably had a staple or two inserted, before returning to pitch a couple of minutes later.

He's my tip to receive the first slice of cheese suspension for us this season. He knows plenty of tricks when it comes to breaking up play & committing a pro foul

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of totally useless information.

November 28th, 2013. Eintracht Frankfurt travels to France to play against Girondins Bordeaux in the Europa League. It's a Thursday, and more than 12,000 Frankfurt supporters travel with them. Frankfurt wins the match 0:1.

Eintracht's captain was Pirmin Schwegler.

• 1 month later...

It’s a sound start - the discipline and intelligence is for all to see

yes he’s going to be a great mentor for the young boys, they interviewed Sullivan post game and he made mention how he is learning so much from him.

next week Is a good early test for him to see how he does in a pressure cooker game 

53 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

It’s a sound start - the discipline and intelligence is for all to see

yes he’s going to be a great mentor for the young boys, they interviewed Sullivan post game and he made mention how he is learning so much from him.

next week Is a good early test for him to see how he does in a pressure cooker game 

I thought playing the Vuck was a pressure cooker game as we have a worse record against them than the Smurfs.

4 hours ago, Taurus said:

he's quickly becoming my all time favourite WSW player

Judging on only a few games so far - there might be a few contenders for this title...but he is fantastic, isn't he?

6 hours ago, Taurus said:

he's quickly becoming my all time favourite WSW player

Me too.

Course, he's got to compete with Shannon Cole for that title, and Haliti and Ono, but man if he keeps this up he will outstrip the last two easily. It's a tough ask to beat out Cole though!

I think Schwegler will win the Johnny Warren Medal. He'll be top 3 in our games nearly every week. The only things that might hurt him are injury and the fact that awards generally go to attackers.

Schwegler on the A-League 

Swiss duo add steel to Wanderers

SWISS DUO ADD STEEL TO WANDERERS

By Adrian Warren
Oct 27 2019 5:50PM

Swiss veterans Daniel Lopar and Pirmin Schwegler are making their presence felt as part of a rejuvenated Western Sydney side leading the A-League

Two experienced Swiss imports playing in key positions have shored up a previously leaky Western Sydney defence and helped the improved Wanderers lead the A-League after three rounds.

Goalkeeper Daniel Lopar pulled off a number of important saves in the 1-0 home win over Sydney on Saturday.

Swiss international Pirmin Schwegler, also had a prodigious game in a defensive midfield role.

"We have a goalkeeper who is saving us in many situations and also we have a top No.6 Pirmin in front of them," Wanderers coach Markus Babbel said.

Schwegler won 14 caps and went to the 2010 World Cup, though he didn't play a game in that tournament.

"He (Schwegler) is very important to us. He's a tactical genius,' Lopar said

Schwegler felt the Wanderers' mindset was a key factor in the game against Sydney, who had most of the possession and chances.

"They are so strong but we had a good mentality and sometimes mentality beats quality," Schwegler said.

ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2f500_0694.jpg&c=0

Last season Wanderers routinely gifted opposing sides goals with dreadful errors, conceding an average of two a game and frequently dropped points by surrendering a lead late in matches.

But the new-look defence consisting of off season recruits Lopar, Dylan McGowan and Matt Jurman, and 18-year-old Daniel Wilmering, who made one appearance off the bench last season, have tightened things up considerably.

Classy German centre back Patrick Ziegler is finally available again after a long term injury..

Schwegler has developed a healthy respect for the A-League in a short space of time.

"It's so tough and so competitive and you have to be 100 per cent, if you are not you have no chance," Schwegler said.

Most important new signing for us. Still anyone out there who prefers Brattan over PS19?

Gatt's assessement: "The midfielder was constantly in the thick of the action with his tackling and getting into the face of the opposition."

PS19: “Sometimes you need this quality, other times you need to be more with the ball. After 10 minutes I could see we needed another quality and it was important to show them. Sydney is a big club and team and they have this mentality to win every game and you have to show ‘ok, we are the Wanderers, maybe we have a different mentality’.”

He saw that they were starting to walk all over us, and he switched gears. He didn't need to be told by the bench. He got into the face Brattan and Grant, wound them up, and they both reacted. He may have paid for it with a yellow card for himself, but no doubt it was worth it. He's played against ABJ before, he knows how to tackle him in more than one way, and he sure did.

Smurf fans hate him already, and that's a clear sign just how big he was in that derby.

9 minutes ago, Jukes75 said:

That was probably my favourite moment in the match. What a crunching tackle!!

Oh, apart from the Duke goal and the VAR denying ESFC etc etc.

It was a great tackle and was well refereed. All the other A-League refs would have given a foul, and some probably even a yellow.