Wanderers ACL Appearances:
Wanderers ACL Goals:

Wanderers FFA Cup Appearances: 3
Wanderers FFA Cup Goals: 0

Wanderers Club World Cup Appearances:
Wanderers Club World Cup Goals:

Wanderers Total Appearances: 23
Wanderers Total Goals: 0

Yearly Appearances & Goals: 2019/20: 23 (0)

International Team: Switzerland
International Caps:
International Goals:

Individual Awards:

Team Honours:

Highlight:
Highlight:
Highlight:

Description: Vastly experienced goalkeeper who has played his entire career in his home league in Switzerland including playing over a decade for FC St Gallen. He has performed impressively for the Wanderers early in his Australian experience, including a number of brilliant saves during the 2019 FFA Cup and the early stages of the 2019/20 A-League season, he was rewarded with a 2 year contract extension in early 2020. When the Covid pandemic lockdown began he returned to his homeland as the Wanderers refused to pay his contract through the crisis.

View full record

Going to take a bit of time to get used to Australian conditions if he has spent whole career in Switzerland.  Should at least have good lung capacity from all the high altitude training I guess.

4 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Going to take a bit of time to get used to Australian conditions if he has spent whole career in Switzerland.  Should at least have good lung capacity from all the high altitude training I guess.

is that from the alps or because they're higher up on the planet?

• 5 weeks later...

"I want to play as many times as I can with a clean sheet. I will try to bring my leadership to the team with my experience and I want to be loud behind my defenders."

The first bit will help not losing or even winning games. After last season's leaderless team another leader will be welcome. And being loud addresses something that puzzled MB last season. He could not understand why the players weren't talking to each other on the pitch, to help each other out.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Vedran don’t get well 

your services are no longer required 

I think tonight I finally saw an able replacement for Covic 👍

Confident, competent, professional performance. As to be expected, really. He has played in Swiss first tier most of his career for a reason. 

2 hours ago, FCB said:

Confident, competent, professional performance. As to be expected, really. He has played in Swiss first tier most of his career for a reason. 

Speaking of ''Keepers" FCB , have you seen the recently released Film about the life of Bert Trautmann who kept for Man City during the 50's and 60's.

He played in an FA Cup Final against Birmingham 1956 and broke his neck towards the end of the game. Very interesting life both before and during his football career.  

5 hours ago, Ossified said:

Speaking of ''Keepers" FCB , have you seen the recently released Film about the life of Bert Trautmann who kept for Man City during the 50's and 60's.

He played in an FA Cup Final against Birmingham 1956 and broke his neck towards the end of the game. Very interesting life both before and during his football career.  

This episode of "sleeping with the enemy" is on my list of things to do. 

7 hours ago, Ossified said:

"The Keeper" I really enjoyed it, seen it with a couple of forumites at the German Film Festival in Leichhardt a little while back.

Seems like it is getting a run @ Dendy cinemas. I'd be up to go and see it again.

https://www.dendy.com.au/movies/the-keeper

On 21/07/2019 at 9:39 AM, FCB said:

Confident, competent, professional performance

Like a Swiss watch? Maybe we should call him Rolex or Longines.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone still thinking that he is wasting a import spot? 

Sure, he will concede goals, but after the Leeds and Perth games it seems certain that he won't have himself red carded in a derby, won't go on unnecessary excursions outside of the penalty box, won't produce corner kicks for the opposition, and won't transport the ball into his own goal. 

He has an absolute cannon of a foot as well. I didn't notice it in person at the Leeds game but last night on tv all of his long balls were massive.

Once he gets an understanding with some of our quicker forwards playing off the shoulder of the last man we might be in for some cheeky route one goals.

1 minute ago, Davo said:

He has an absolute cannon of a foot as well. I didn't notice it in person at the Leeds game but last night on tv all of his long balls were massive.

Once he gets an understanding with some of our quicker forwards playing off the shoulder of the last man we might be in for some cheeky route one goals.

During the warm up for the leeds game suman and greenwood were standing on the opposite sides of the middle line. Lopar was kicking balls towards them from the box, and ball pretty much landed at their feet every single time. Precise like a Swiss watch. 

Top class player last night. Really proving that Babbel didn't waste using a foreign spot on a goalkeeper.

Perth apparently only had 7 on target according to Fox Sports stats but felt like more than that and Lopar did a superb job making sure the ball didn't go behind the net. I feel Mrcela's goal was a deflect off a Wanderers player so you can't blame Lopar for not being able to stop that one.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

During the warm up for the leeds game suman and greenwood were standing on the opposite sides of the middle line. Lopar was kicking balls towards them from the box, and ball pretty much landed at their feet every single time. Precise like a Swiss watch. 

Funny you should mention that.

I noticed exactly the same thing and pointed it out to WB Jnr. We watched him and as you say, every ball was absolutely pinpoint. I was mightily impressed and knew there and then that we had bought a class act.

Gone are the days when we would buy players because they were cheaper ,now days we buy quality and support the team with really talented young men ,all goes well for our future now as they grow in front of eyes on game day ,where they have with hard work earned the right to play ,  :xnod:

• 2 weeks later...

Lopar getting lots of credit for this double save, the first full stretches through a crowded box impossible to see clearly & the second just about making yourself big then just using your split second reflexes to save it but can I be honest?

If we want to be winning trophies, you can’t palm the ball back into the box, needs to go out to the sidelines. Miniscule detail, some of the keepers we’ve had wouldn’t have saved it from the net but one mistake a better striker will punish.

20 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Lopar getting lots of credit for this double save, the first full stretches through a crowded box impossible to see clearly & the second just about making yourself big then just using your split second reflexes to save it but can I be honest?

If we want to be winning trophies, you can’t palm the ball back into the box, needs to go out to the sidelines. Miniscule detail, some of the keepers we’ve had wouldn’t have saved it from the net but one mistake a better striker will punish.

Very miniscule.....lol

The ball was really travelling....he dived to first, save the goal, which he did and second had the instincts to use his legs to deflect the ball over the goal.....third he was in position to do both those things. Early days but the best since Covic. Glad he is ours.

Edited by sonar
  • 1 month later...
On 28/10/2019 at 10:38 PM, mack said:

I've seen enough. Offer him an extension. 2 to 4 years.

If Covic can win a-league then asian keeper of the year age 38 and Sorensen A-League keeper of the year at age 40, there's no reason Lopar can't stick around until 2024.

Lopar has no doubts that he can continue playing for "at least another three or four years. As long as I am fit and healthy and happy, yes, I will continue to play. I love my football and I believe I can still make a good contribution."

As much as I am a Covic fan: his distribution left a lot to be desired. I vividly recall goal kicks ending up beyond the sideline, and even in the stands, especially in S3. Ain't happening with Lopar.