Sign in to follow this  
Prydzopolis

Women's World Cup - France 2019

I feel this tournament deserves its own thread. No better way to kick it off with this fantastic Nike ad specifically for the Women's World Cup

FYI: Optus sport have exclusive rights to the tournament 

I think the AS stuff needs to be put to the side & we need to all focus on getting behind the team in France.

I know that the Netherlands result isn't ideal, 0-3 is bad but we do need to understand that it is a warm up game. I'm assuming that they'll have heavy legs & may be trying a few things out. I don't think it's the time to panic, I think by that first game we will see a different team.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/?fbclid=IwAR0WgJFiMo1gnzTnsO_0mrbLuSwSjnfRKUFeym8-u81BHNYcS3eiIapTVEM#4f31bcb76da4

15,775 views Mar 7, 2019, 09:09am

Revenue Disparity Explains Pay Disparity Between Soccer World Cup's Men And Women

Mike Ozanian
Mike Ozanian
Forbes Staff
SportsMoneyTraffic cop at the intersection of money and sports
  •  
The United States' Abby Wambach, left, with Alex Morgan after Morgan scored the opening goal during the Women’s Soccer World Cup final in 2011. (photo credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS)

The United States' Abby Wambach, left, with Alex Morgan after Morgan scored the opening goal during the Women’s Soccer World Cup final in 2011. (photo credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS)

News today that France earned $38 million from FIFA for winningsoccer's World Cup in Russia, while the women's champion in France this summer will earn just $4 million, has prompted outrage.

The total prize money for the Women's World Cup in France this July will be $30 million compared with total prize money of $440 million for the men's teams at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

“The difference between the men’s and women’s prize money is ridiculous,” Tatjana Haenni, who oversaw women’s soccer for FIFA before stepping down in 2017, said, according to the Associated Press. “It’s really disappointing the gap between the men’s and women’s World Cups got bigger. It sends the wrong message.”

Nonsense. When viewed appropriately—based on how much money they generatewomen actually make more than men.

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

I would personally prefer that the players focus at this point be 100% on their on field performances irrespective of how strong their pay claim might be.

Both teams should get equal pay.

$0 for the Asian Cup. $25k per player bonus if they win it.

$0 for the World Cup. $25k per player bonus if they win it.

Another $25k per player pro-rata'd ($25k if you make the squad for every game, $1k if they make one game squad and we play 25 games) for the qualifying campaign if they make it to the WC.

The men's team is grossly overpaid. Giving the women the same gross overpayment should not happen.

If the suits cared as much about youth development, facility investment and reducing grassroot fees & ticket prices as they have about personal power and raking as much coin from football since it came to this country we might have won both world cups by now.

We are lucky to have the PFA driving payments for the socceroos, don’t lie the blame elsewhere. FYI, not saying the players shouldn’t be compensated but at the end of the day, the more they take the less we have left over for the local game.

9 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

I would personally prefer that the players focus at this point be 100% on their on field performances irrespective of how strong their pay claim might be.

This is when their bargaining position is strongest.

14 hours ago, Burztur said:

This is when their bargaining position is strongest.

Can I ask why? The bargaining position would have been much stronger had it been a global effort by all teams involved with the prospect of boycotts. In the week leading up to the tournament I only see it as a distraction.

Yes, launching it in the week before the tournament would garner the greatest visibility with the sheer media & general public focus on the tournament but aside from that I see more negatives than positives.

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Can I ask why? The bargaining position would have been much stronger had it been a global effort by all teams involved with the prospect of boycotts. In the week leading up to the tournament I only see it as a distraction.

Yes, launching it in the week before the tournament would garner the greatest visibility with the sheer media & general public focus on the tournament but aside from that I see more negatives than positives.

If all teams got involved, that would be even stronger but I doubt the PFAs are that coordinated. This is probably the best bang for buck they can get in terms of visibility over the issue. No one will care post WWC or even a month beforehand. Agree that it can be double edged and backfire.

Hyundai have a car for people to write messages of support on for the Matildas.

France v Korea this morning, only saw the mini match but France really laid down a marker, I know we’ve beaten them in the past but they looked really really impressive.

ICYMI, the toxic one is enjoying her junket in France.

Good to see that the outrageous fees we pay to register for grassroots sokkah, are being put to good use.

D8lTRZFUEAAQb98.png

fAnQWK4G_bigger.jpgOptus SportVerified account @OptusSport
FollowingFollowing @OptusSport
More

We look forward to welcoming @wswanderersfc @WLeague coach @deanheffernan8 to the #optussport panel tonight. He's pumped for the #FIFAWWCFIFAWWC_2019_Trophy.png and to rip into his new job. "Great things are happening at that football club."

https://sport.optus.com.au/articles/91993fb1-65c7-459c-b36e-c0762cc19fe1/wanderers-boss-dean-heffernan

12:16 PM - 9 Jun 2019

1 hour ago, Taurus said:

ICYMI, the toxic one is enjoying her junket in France.

Good to see that the outrageous fees we pay to register for grassroots sokkah, are being put to good use.

D8lTRZFUEAAQb98.png

Yeah what a joke....hope she's not allowed anywhere near the squad !!!

Anyone watching? VAR just scrubbed out an italian goal

5 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Anyone watching? VAR just scrubbed out an italian goal

50/50 which went our way.

The linesman called offside rightly anyway first.

And it's 1-0! Kerr misses the pen and scores the rebound.

Against the run of play we get a pen....1-0 Aus

WE DA BEST

Anyone know who the other midfielder is for us? Yallop or something? Never heard of her before

Van egmond almost a pearler off set piece corner! 

Looking better now 

this is easily better than watching arnie ball ☺️

5 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

WE DA BEST

Anyone know who the other midfielder is for us? Yallop or something? Never heard of her before

Have just been informed it’s because Tameka Butt got married and her wife’s name is Yallop

mystery solved 

As if you wouldn't want to keep the same last name as the legendary midfielder Nicky Butt.

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

the Commentators are so bad in Optus I’ve gone to SBS, yes Bashir is better 

Like Speed and Harper.....they should be sponsored by Panadol.

that Header chance!!! Free header and could only get it in arms length of the goalkeeper

Should've been 2-0

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

Is Gombau our defensive coach?

Milicic = Gombau 

Whoever the coach is since the removal of AS we defensively weaker. That much is apparent.

46 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

the Commentators are so bad in Optus I’ve gone to SBS, yes Bashir is better 

On my Optus stream there's just one guy?