Women's World Cup - France 2019

"We are not going to change our style because we conceded a goal,” Milicic insisted. “I believe in that style and that’s the way we want to progress up the field – we just need to get better at it and get better at it quickly."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/five-things-we-learned-from-matildas-loss-to-italy

....and if we don't learn quickly....:unknw:

21 minutes ago, sonar said:

"We are not going to change our style because we conceded a goal,” Milicic insisted. “I believe in that style and that’s the way we want to progress up the field – we just need to get better at it and get better at it quickly."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/five-things-we-learned-from-matildas-loss-to-italy

Sounds like CCM’s Plan B is to do Plan A better

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Kamikaze high line, and endless passing for no reason across the back, it was like watching Gomabau’s Wanderers 

the first goal was Hammilesque 

Milicic and Gombau were part of Ange's setup that came within a whisker of WC elimination against Syria....remember the free kick that hit the post....and Mark Bosnich's rant about the tactics.? If that free kick had gone in we were out. Stubborness seems to be a virtue for these guys. My way or the highway. Some on this forum were advocating for Milicic to be our manager....we got his twin...Josep....lol 

The Matildas are going down the same road. I can only assume it comes down to money....the FFA doesn't want to pay for a high quality coach for the womens team. Imho we are not served very well by those in charge. Perhaps an early exit may be a blessing in disguise.

They spent cash on replacing Ange for WC and it was pointless. Doing it with the Matildas would have been throwing money away again. The best solution would have been promoting an assistant coach but Reid/Gallop's stuff up cost them all the major coaching staff members.

The second best solution was finding someone who had experience in women's football as a head coach who could take over the side and keep them playing how they were before the sacking. Or someone who had been a head coach for men but would understand the differences and not be too radical with changes.

Instead the FFA signed a guy with no senior team head coaching experience for men or women and who decided to change the way the team played. The Cup Of Nations papered over the cracks and now the last 4 matches have resulted in 4 losses in a row and facing win or go out against Brazil of all teams.

48 minutes ago, mack said:

They spent cash on replacing Ange for WC and it was pointless. Doing it with the Matildas would have been throwing money away again. The best solution would have been promoting an assistant coach but Reid/Gallop's stuff up cost them all the major coaching staff members.

The second best solution was finding someone who had experience in women's football as a head coach who could take over the side and keep them playing how they were before the sacking. Or someone who had been a head coach for men but would understand the differences and not be too radical with changes.

Instead the FFA signed a guy with no senior team head coaching experience for men or women and who decided to change the way the team played. The Cup Of Nations papered over the cracks and now the last 4 matches have resulted in 4 losses in a row and facing win or go out against Brazil of all teams.

One issue with promoting an assistant coach is it could have been Gary Van Egmond, whose daughter is arguably one of the biggest under-performers at the moment.

On 09/06/2019 at 8:59 PM, Unlimited said:

Have just been informed it’s because Tameka Butt got married and her wife’s name is Yallop

mystery solved

I don't understand anything anymore.  I wish they had left me back in the 20th Century. :unsure:

On 09/06/2019 at 9:14 PM, Unlimited said:

Anyone watching? VAR just scrubbed out an italian goal

I’m all for this & makes it all the more vital if we insist on playing this highline in every situation.

On 09/06/2019 at 9:27 PM, GunnerWanderer said:

this is easily better than watching arnie ball ☺️

:rofl:

On 09/06/2019 at 9:32 PM, StringerBellend said:

the Commentators are so bad in Optus I’ve gone to SBS, yes Bashir is better 

I just think using the stock standard male world feed commentators was a conservative move. Probably part of the contract they have with FIFA. But Bashir :bad:

On 09/06/2019 at 10:19 PM, sonar said:

Whoever the coach is since the removal of AS we defensively weaker. That much is apparent.

This is a tough argument. Arguably the team has been underperforming for some time. Sacking AS (removing all the bullshit politiking) could arguably be compared to Ange. The socceroo’s were playing badly & had the FFA sacked Ange nobody would be surprised but would have been very harsh. He would have been our best candidate purely on the basis he had the team for 4 years.

In a similar way the Matilda’s weren’t playing great but should he have really been sacked? It might have been okay because results weren’t great but he would have given us the best chance at the WC. 

On 09/06/2019 at 10:30 PM, Davo said:

I hate the way the AR’s are leaving the flag down for even obvious offside. The Italian was meters offside near the halfway line and they let them run all the way to the box, cross, have a goal mouth scramble then when it gets put behind for a corner the flag goes up.

Yes, it’s insane. The clear offsides by a few meters? Nuts. I’d put this down to the fact that the women referees haven’t had the opportunity to trial & use VAR in game situations. 

On 10/06/2019 at 11:52 AM, sonar said:

Ahhhh.... the result was gutting especially since we were the favorites & should have been better. The truth is that this team has been underperforming for some time. We have a fantastic attack but they just aren’t gelling right now. I must admit that I was really surprised by AM’s negative press conference, took the team to town & really came down hard on them. Not the sort of confidence building you need coming into an elimination final against Brazil.

On the style argument. I have no issue with playing out from the back. When you look at how the goal was conceded, it came from an individual mistake where a poor touch led to the goal but no blame can be attributed to the style or system. She received the ball in lots of space.

The big issue I see is the high line that AM seems determined to implement at all costs, almost in an Ange like arrogance that he is right & everyone else is wrong. The issues identified by smarter people than me on twitter were that we were unable to execute it properly in four main aspects. (1) We weren’t able to hold a straight line with almost at least 1 player behind the others, defeating its purpose. (2) When implementing a high line, you don’t use it 100% of the time. You need to identify the situation where it is not appropriate & drop accordingly. (3) We only have 2 CB’s in the squad, at least one of them shouldn’t be starting (out of form) (4) AM has introduced this only in the last few games. It’s so difficult to pull it off in other situations let alone the pressure cooker of a World Cup. AM doesn’t seem to connect the dots, blames the player not the system. Fingers crossed it will come right.

So much work to do between now & the do or die match against Brazil.

On 09/06/2019 at 11:39 AM, Taurus said:

ICYMI, the toxic one is enjoying her junket in France.

Good to see that the outrageous fees we pay to register for grassroots sokkah, are being put to good use.

D8lTRZFUEAAQb98.png

It’s a tough one, it’s take the FFA nearly 3 days to come out & respond to this, which is just baffling. Apparently she is not being covered by the FFA & it’s a self funded trip.

She was at an official World Cup function & appeared to be representing Australia. Such a bad look for someone who did what she did & is supposed to be on leave as a result of health issues. Seems to be cleared up, somewhat but a horrible look.

Twitter seems he divided on the AS haters & AS lovers, apparently there is no middle ground. You can’t be angry at the situation with AS or be able to criticise AM admitting that the appointment was wrong. I wonder what happens to the rhetoric of a horrible performance against Brazil ensues if it’s still on AS or whether we can admit as a whole we got it wrong. No matter what happens, I just want the best for the Matilda’s & them to get the results they deserve whether it was AS or AM.

I really hope we tweak things at the back & we can get it right up front. Would be a horrible shame if we weren’t able to get out of the group, with lots of pressure on the team especially behind the scenes.

AM was probably encouraged to take on the role short term, as he was already on the payroll & most likely surplus to requirements under Arnie. 

Given there was relative peace in the Matildas camp after a couple of months, FFA offered him a 12 month extension which probably suited both parties & will dovetail into the Macarthur job.

AM won't last, they (being the dividers) smell blood & won't be happy when the Matildas come home prematurely.

New Zealand playing the Netherlands, showing how to defend.

tom Sermani is the coach of the Football Fernz (and a former Matilda’s coach)

0-0 at the 69th minute against the Dutch with plenty of tall timber.

Edited by Paul01
Added info

Have to somehow get the team groove back to beat Brazil because if we lose beat Jamaica and finish 3rd in the group we will likely be facing France in the knockout. Finish second and we are facing Norway.

I don't understand why Milicic is playing Kerr as a lone striker. Staj always had a second striker with Kerr and even at Perth Kerr has a second striker. Why isolate your best player with her back to goal when you want her facing forward to SHOOT *****

After the Aussies I think I’ll support anyone that kicks the USA’s arse in this WC.  Maybe the Seppos should be taught some humility , the way they carried on after scoring 13 against the Thais. :nono:

Hey girls, watch the Germans and learn , they beat Estonia 8-0 but didn’t act like a bunch of wankers after every goal . Sure they celebrated, but jumping around  n dancing etc. is a bit ott. There is such a thing as respect in sport.

ps  disregard this rant if it’s the WSW vs Smurfs !   :P

4 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

After the Aussies I think I’ll support anyone that kicks the USA’s arse in this WC.  Maybe the Seppos should be taught some humility , the way they carried on after scoring 13 against the Thais. :nono:

Hey girls, watch the Germans and learn , they beat Estonia 8-0 but didn’t act like a bunch of wankers after every goal . Sure they celebrated, but jumping around  n dancing etc. is a bit ott. There is such a thing as respect in sport.

Yeah, I remember the American media having a go at us after that game where Archie Thompson bagged a heap against one of the Pacific Island nations.

Gotta agree, sure score as many as possible (especially in the first game, maybe chill out a bit if it’s the last group game and you know you are top of the group), but show some respect with celebrations.

But what about this for a defence of the team:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/stop-judging-these-women-wambach-defends-usa-s-excessive-celebrations-during-thailand-thumping

Apparently if you dare to criticise them you are wearing patriarchal glasses! LOL

THIS is what people are talking about when they say “it’s political correctness gone mad”. Stupid comments like these do more to undermine equality movements than help them.

The sideline stuff was a bit much but for some of those players it’s probably their first and potentially only World Cup goal. If it were me I wouldn’t forego celebrating that moment in my career because the opponent put a training cone in goal.

Also it it were me there’d be bigger concerns than my goal celebration...

I’m not saying don’t score as many goals as possible or don’t celebrate, but after the 5th or 6th and you know your opponent really isn’t up to that standard , tone it down a notch!  Counting out goals on your fingers n linking arms n dancing is just taking the piss imho.

Leadership material

cecTJTc8_bigger.jpgSBS - The World GameVerified account @TheWorldGame
FollowingFollowing @TheWorldGame
More

Matildas defender Alanna Kennedy responds to the heavy criticism of the high defensive line against Italy. "I don't think we cost a goal off it, did we? No I don't think we did." 👀⚽🇦🇺 #FIFAWWCFIFAWWC_2019_Trophy.png

1 hour ago, Davo said:

The sideline stuff was a bit much but for some of those players it’s probably their first and potentially only World Cup goal. If it were me I wouldn’t forego celebrating that moment in my career because the opponent put a training cone in goal.

Also it it were me there’d be bigger concerns than my goal celebration...

This is the excuse that’s been bandied around. So how do they explain Megan Rapinoe, who is playing in her third WC and scored a zillion goals? She did the run and slide and kick her legs up after the 9th goal. 

Judging by this headline (Paywalled so I couldn't read the whole thing mind you) , the Wall Street Journal have no problem with the behaviour of the US Women's team:  

The USWNT Score, Score and Score, and Are Loved, Loved and Loved

A giddy 13-0 night in the stadium with the ocean-crossing fans of an American phenomenon

21 hours ago, JackDoff said:

I’m not saying don’t score as many goals as possible or don’t celebrate, but after the 5th or 6th and you know your opponent really isn’t up to that standard , tone it down a notch!  Counting out goals on your fingers n linking arms n dancing is just taking the piss imho.

I don’t think anyone has said don’t score as many goals as you can, it’s just about showing some respect on the field. Completely agree :good:

Somehow turned into a gender issue, ridiculous.

On another note. Monumental game tonight, 2am Matilda’s vs Brazil. All or nothing, 2 losses & impossible to progress?

The AS stuff has gone on a bit too much for my liking this week. The focus needs to be on the WC, the inquest and soul searching can be done after the WC. Going to be a messy fallout if we don’t get out of the group.

37 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The AS stuff has gone on a bit too much for my liking this week. The focus needs to be on the WC, the inquest and soul searching can be done after the WC. Going to be a messy fallout if we don’t get out of the group.

Well, you can blame the FFA for that.

Why did they come out with their excuses and Heather Reid's apology on the eve of the World Cup? They were the one's who brought it back into the spotlight. Couldn't they have waited until after? All it has done is destabilize the situation further. The ******* FFA REALLY HAVE NO CLUE.

5 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Well, you can blame the FFA for that.

Why did they come out with their excuses and Heather Reid's apology on the eve of the World Cup? They were the one's who brought it back into the spotlight. Couldn't they have waited until after? All it has done is destabilize the situation further. The ******* FFA REALLY HAVE NO CLUE.

To use the WC as a distraction.

The FFA have never cared about solving problems, only in making them go away from public sight.

2 hours ago, mack said:

To use the WC as a distraction.

The FFA have never cared about solving problems, only in making them go away from public sight.

Of course, and everyone knows that, except the ******* FFA. That is why they are so ******* stupid. They just keep digging bigger holes for themselves.

I just don't get why the game in this country is run by such imbeciles. I know they are not football people. Seriously, Gallop? Why was he appointed in the first place? The douche bag probably still calls the sport soccer to his friends over a latte at social functions. 

Is it any wonder the sport in this country has plummeted in popularity at the higher levels. The huge uptake in junior participation has had nothing to do with them. It's a natural progression of sporting demographics, yet Gallop and his cronies have absolutely no idea how to tap into this influx of juniors and convert them to A-League fans.

Sorry, I'm wrong. I forgot about Star Wars Round. FMD!!

I'm just so angry at the moment at the way our game is being administered. So much potential being frittered away by clowns of the highest order.