Women's World Cup - France 2019

9 hours ago, btron3000 said:

For a team that had been in the top 10 for so long, there is still a lot of naivety. Leading with a few minutes to go and they are jumping into tackles in midfield and letting the opposition get past them instead of jockeying . They need to do better than that if they want to beat the best teams.

Inversely, Foord kicking the ball to the Brazil GK when she had possession at half way with 2 minutes to go in stoppage time. So dumb. You're an attacker. You're winning. Its stoppage time and you have possession at half way. FFS hold onto it, turn your back and draw a foul. You don't just merely kick it to no one so the opposition regains possession and puts your team under pressure again.

Watching women's football is a frustrating experience. I was noticing these kinds of things and many wrong pass options over and over. Winger/Fullback is open with no marker near them for miles, yet we decided to turn away from them and try and go through a dense middle.

Sigh...

Hope Sam and the other girls brush all this stuff off.

Is this level of scrutiny (and any criticism of a throw away line, using a term people her age have grown up with) REALLY  necessary?

Opinion: Sam Kerr gives Australian football its 'Michelle Payne moment' after heroic Brazil win
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-16/matildas-world-cup-win-and-sam-kerr-sexism-message/11210556

5 hours ago, Erebus said:

How can she say "suck on that one" but we can't tell Arnie to EAD?

Isn't it essentially the same thing?

You may be correct, as that's the way I interpreted those 4 carefully chosen words.

Appears no one has bothered to highlight that in the public domain, or the media have just chosen to ignore it, coz you know, different standards. 

If SR intended to say suck it up, she would have!!!

It’s sad there are homophobic trolls out there, but most people who were giving opinions on the team were doing so regarding their performance and the Stajic thing, nothing more.

I didn’t even know Sam was gay until that came out as a defence for her words.

The girls have to realise the honeymoon is over. Once you graduate from selling raffle tickets to fund your passion, to being full time professionals playing in numerous leagues per year and making ads where you say you are gonna win the World Cup, then expectations change.

Whether Sam was right or not, whether she showed passion or not, they have to be careful. The more they lash out, the more they talk about how good they think they are, the more they’ll turn people away. They used to be the humble battlers. If they shed that image - which they may very well want to do - they will want to act in a way that the image that replaces it is just as acceptable to the public, otherwise they’ll be constantly fighting the haters.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/11214906

31 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

It’s sad there are homophobic trolls out there, but most people who were giving opinions on the team were doing so regarding their performance and the Stajic thing, nothing more.

I didn’t even know Sam was gay until that came out as a defence for her words.

The girls have to realise the honeymoon is over. Once you graduate from selling raffle tickets to fund your passion, to being full time professionals playing in numerous leagues per year and making ads where you say you are gonna win the World Cup, then expectations change.

Whether Sam was right or not, whether she showed passion or not, they have to be careful. The more they lash out, the more they talk about how good they think they are, the more they’ll turn people away. They used to be the humble battlers. If they shed that image - which they may very well want to do - they will want to act in a way that the image that replaces it is just as acceptable to the public, otherwise they’ll be constantly fighting the haters. 

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/11214906

I agree with most of this including the Matildas owning their rhetoric about winning the World Cup. On the other hand I think Sam Kerr was referring to some twitter posts that were derogatory towards her and other players who are gay ..........." you're dyke butt was offside" and other posts that were anti gay.  

Now. most of us here couldn't give a rats on peoples sexuality but for those copping the abuse on other forms of social media it must be hard when you have people like Israel Folau preaching his anti gay sermons. There must come a time when these people think enough is enough and lash out in an attempt to fight back. In the end no one wins.

It would be disappointing if the Matildas go out of the world cup with nothing gained and the main story was the personal abuse they copped instead of the style of play they employed. Most of the abuse ( I'd rather call it criticisms ) are about the style of play and the results ( so far ) have shown the criticisms to be warranted. I sometimes wonder whether annonimity on social media makes certain people "braver"or " brazen" in social media posts  than they would be if real names were required. 

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, sonar said:

I agree with most of this including the Matildas owning their rhetoric about winning the World Cup. On the other hand I think Sam Kerr was referring to some twitter posts that were derogatory towards her and other players who are gay ..........." you're dyke butt was offside" and other posts that were anti gay.  

Now. most of us here couldn't give a rats on peoples sexuality but for those copping the abuse on other forms of social media it must be hard when you have people like Israel Folau preaching his anti gay sermons. There must come a time when these people think enough is enough and lash out in an attempt to fight back. In the end no one wins.

It would be disappointing if the Matildas go out of the world cup with nothing gained and the main story was the personal abuse they copped instead of the style of play they employed. Most of the abuse ( I'd rather call it criticisms ) are about the style of play and the results ( so far ) have shown the criticisms to be warranted. I sometimes wonder whether annonimity on social media makes certain people "braver"or " brazen" in social media posts  than they would be if real names were required. 

Only sometimes???

3 hours ago, sonar said:

No doubt it’s tough, and none of us know what it’s like.

But everyone in the public eye cops it on social media. They’d be wise not to read anything and just let the offical “send your messages to the Matildas” type thing be the only connection they make during the Cup.

And let’s not pretend that the dyke thing wasn’t a cover up for a more generic “suck on that” to all the naysayers.

For the record, I don’t mind it. Say what you think, it’s better than a cardboard cutout, media trained bore.

But if you go off for the wrong reason or it’s not clear why then you are gonna cop more criticism. Look at Babbel - throws his jacket and goes off about refereeing and everyone loves him. But if you whinge at criticism of your play then people will fall out of love with you quick smart.

1 minute ago, btron3000 said:

Golf claps from the US team when they score. Doubling down. Way to get everyone offside with you. Geez I hope someone knocks them out.

It’s the US we should be sensitive to their culture 

Boorish arrogance is their thing 

Today’s games show why 24 team tournaments where best 3rd place teams qualify are shite.

China parked the bus, knowing a draw was good enough AND that coming 3rd meant they missed playing the US, while Spain couldn’t afford to lose the game but could only look forward to playing the US.

Ridiculous.

They need to work out a way where the 3rd places teams play off before the round of 16, or have to play the top ranked teams or something.

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

It’s the US we should be sensitive to their culture 

Boorish arrogance is their thing 

Hey man - don't be hatin' on Murica coz we is WINNERS and y'all b LOSERS who run off crying to ur mommies every time we whoop your sorry asses.  Don't forget we saved ur asses in WWII.  If it wasn't for us y'all would be driving Jap cars and eatin sushi down there right now!

1 hour ago, LeeMarvin said:

Hey man - don't be hatin' on Murica coz we is WINNERS and y'all b LOSERS who run off crying to ur mommies every time we whoop your sorry asses.  Don't forget we saved ur asses in WWII.  If it wasn't for us y'all would be driving Jap cars and eatin sushi down there right now!

Isn't that what we do now?!