Sign in to follow this  
Prydzopolis

Women's World Cup - France 2019

Ref and VAR got it wrong with the red card and it turned the game. In saying that Norway had the better chances and were more disciplined in defense than we were they go through deservedly.

Can also someone tell Milicic to stop putting Kerr is a lone striker she was marked out of the whole game

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Ref and VAR got it wrong with the red card and it turned the game. In saying that Norway had the better chances and were more disciplined in defense than we were they go through deservedly.

Can also someone tell Milicic to stop putting Kerr is a lone striker she was marked out of the whole game

It's fine if Foord was the #9, like her number. I see Foord to be a better target player, being able to be strong physically and hold up play. I feel Kerr needs space so I thought she would be better in a CAM position so she can dictate play, but I'm not sure about how good her passing is. Certainly KK is a very good passer of the ball and when she was playing LB, I'm sitting there like, "Huh?"

I dunno.

Personally, biggest surprise for me was our lack of defensive depth. Laura Alleway gets injured and it's like OH CRAP because then we only have Polkinghorne and A. Kennedy. I seriously thought we had more CBs. Might just be spoiled because Popa bought like 15 of them into the club.

Anyone still watching lol?

Please someone beat the US. I thought Spain played well and France pushed them, but the US remind me of the smurfs over the last few years - you really want them to lose, other teams miss chances or win possession but don’t create much, and then Bam, they get a chance and take it.

Spain are going to be a power. I saw them in the U20 WC and they were stroking it around like Xavi and Iniesta. France too are looking strong, and England have invested more than anyone. Europe dominating apart from US.

With England v US on one side it looks like I’ll be cheering on Germany. Geez.

57 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Anyone still watching lol?

Please someone beat the US. I thought Spain played well and France pushed them, but the US remind me of the smurfs over the last few years - you really want them to lose, other teams miss chances or win possession but don’t create much, and then Bam, they get a chance and take it.

Spain are going to be a power. I saw them in the U20 WC and they were stroking it around like Xavi and Iniesta. France too are looking strong, and England have invested more than anyone. Europe dominating apart from US.

With England v US on one side it looks like I’ll be cheering on Germany. Geez.

Yeah, I'm still watching.

Even if the Matildas had progressesd I wouldn't give them a chance against the teams you've mentioned 

Still trying to work out why the handball against Japan is a penalty that knocks them out of the tournament but when the US do exactly the same thing at 2-1 against France, nothing.

So the Dutch gave the Italian a master class just like they did us in the friendly.

Can't believe Sweden beat Germany.

So it's USA v England

And Netherlands v Sweden

First half the Dutch were struggling amazing turnaround in 2nd half.

17 hours ago, Davo said:

Still trying to work out why the handball against Japan is a penalty that knocks them out of the tournament but when the US do exactly the same thing at 2-1 against France, nothing.

But how could they still be inconsistent with the almighty VAR?

Anyone been watching Copa America? Man the VAR is an atrocity. 

21 hours ago, btron3000 said:

With England v US on one side it looks like I’ll be cheering on Germany.

Sweden.

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

But how could they still be inconsistent with the almighty VAR?

Anyone been watching Copa America? Man the VAR is an atrocity. 

Kinda comforting, in a sad sort of way, that it's not only us in the A League who have to suffer these "atrocities".

Really hoping England can turn it on against the US in their semi final :) Those girls are amazing and doing themselves and the country proud :)

5am Wednesday the game I think, will set the alarm and watch the first half at least, great that women's football is taking off like this.

2 hours ago, Erimus said:

Really hoping England can turn it on against the US in their semi final :) Those girls are amazing and doing themselves and the country proud :)

5am Wednesday the game I think, will set the alarm and watch the first half at least, great that women's football is taking off like this.

It is great Womens Football is getting bigger..

Womens Football has been a massive opportunity for the FFA. My little U6s team is over 50% girls, my girl is of course the only one to have gone to an W League game

But of course the FFA won't take the opportunity 

Sooo Marron..tell me..do the Dutch women bottle big moments like the Dutch men? :D

Football’s a farce. No way that was a pen. And it certainly wasn’t a clear and obvious error that should be overturned on VAR.

21 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Football’s a farce. No way that was a pen. And it certainly wasn’t a clear and obvious error that should be overturned on VAR.

Was just about to post asking what people thought 

Its a high foot, so you could say a foul and therefore a penalty 

But Morgan goes looking for contact, her eyes aren’t on the ball at all, she doesn’t go to the ball she jumps at the defender looking for contact.

The “foul” hasn’t impeded Morgan from getting the ball as she had no intention of getting the ball.

This is the problem with Var they look for any contact not to see if it impedes the attacker. 

Given how high this one was you could argue penalty, but since the referee never gave it, I don’t think it’s clear and obvious error (but then what if f*#k is that anyway)

Yep Var is rooting football

The USA probably deserved the win

a really high quality game too, Matilda’s where way off that standard 

20 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Was just about to post asking what people thought 

Its a high foot, so you could say a foul and therefore a penalty 

But Morgan goes looking for contact, her eyes aren’t on the ball at all, she doesn’t go to the ball she jumps at the defender looking for contact.

The “foul” hasn’t impeded Morgan from getting the ball as she had no intention of getting the ball.

This is the problem with Var they look for any contact not to see if it impedes the attacker. 

Given how high this one was you could argue penalty, but since the referee never gave it, I don’t think it’s clear and obvious error (but then what if f*#k is that anyway)

Yep Var is rooting football

The USA probably deserved the win

a really high quality game too, Matilda’s where way off that standard 

Agree with everything.

Re: the bits in bold. You can find contact all the time, doesn't mean it warrants a penalty. It's a contact sport FFS.

This was another example of the "ref going to the sideline" process ending in a bad result. If the people in the booths were asked to overturn only clear and obvious errors (which should be defined and should be a VERY high bar) then they would have left it.

Whenever you get the ref running off to the sideline tv thinking "they must have seen something I missed" then they start second guessing themselves and are going to try and get it 100% right rather than only overturn clear and obvious. And that just leads to dodgy overturns.

USA have been given soft pens all tournament. Any little contact and Morgan goes down looking for it. But because she is so popular (for some reason) more often than not she gets it awarded. USA team were a protected species all tournament. No way that was a pen. She jumps up, turns her body to make contact and goes down. Never had the ball, never had control of it, and jumped facing away from it ffs.

Soft af and changed the game.

Both their pens vs Spain were soft too. Everyone that goes on about how the women's game is more pure and they don't dive and play act like the men are kidding themselves.

VAR had some questionable calls every game and some of the handball pens and "contact" were marginal at best. Screwed a number of teams.