Hernandez Late Show Wins Stadium Opener

9 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Rewatching it now, we did good. Leeds have had an entire season together, and their skill level is that of a team who were competing for promotion into the english premier league. We held them to 1-1 until the last 60seconds. And we are still gelling. 2 more months and we will have much more awareness and fluidity. Not bad lads, not bad. 

Our passing isn't good enough and borders on wasteful, Not a weakness we want exposed in this coming season. Leeds passing on the otherhand was purposeful and as someone else phrased it, direct.

The prematch catchup was great (so great to see us all kitted out and energised for the game), the new stadium magnificent and the team is looking lively and positive. Bring on October

Agree, also consider that only 6 of the starting team who had pulled on a WSW jumper before and of that only two players Elrich and Kamau have played more than 10 games for us and you have to happy with that and also expect that our passing will be wasteful in patches.

1 hour ago, echidna said:

Quite a promising start, overall. I thought that Duke and Yeboah were incredibly committed and the best on the ground along with Lopar who was excellent between the posts, even though his distribution was very average. McGowan gave an excellent impersonation of a Swiss cheese throughout, though he will hopefully improve as he gains fitness and familiarity with his teammates.

I think we well and truly handed them the initiative and opportunities with our multiple 'youth team' replacements in the second half, but it would have been churlish to deny them a chance to play.

Great stadium and pitch, though I too worry about the dead third that is the west. 24k + there last night and we will need more than 15k regularly to make the place jump.

Far too many Eurosnobs in the stands last night - people who support Leeds because their grandma was born there/loved all Viduka's clubs/like the colour white... any excuse than support a team from the country in which you were born and raised, that is desperate for you to support their team playing a game you profess to love!

Damn easy to back a heavyweight against a lightweight; a Winx against a hack; a multimillionaire with profile against a hard-working wage earner for whom football is more a passion; all so you can feel like a winner... but that is not what we as Australians should do...

Great post Echidna! :good:

55 minutes ago, scarcev said:

Agree, also consider that only 6 of the starting team who had pulled on a WSW jumper before and of that only two players Elrich and Kamau have played more than 10 games for us and you have to happy with that and also expect that our passing will be wasteful in patches.

Also, Keanu has played more than 10 as well. But that doesn't change your point.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Ahhh ...and Woohoo!

Something else from last night that I celebrated...in addition to the gaol.

We actually  had a goal celebration song that, to me...is perfect.

If I've never said it before (in our numerous debates), I've thought it a hundred times.

Who else noticed it?

Who wants to argue that it was crap?

Who wants to say..."It's already used  by ......" Which I'm sure it is...

The RBB's "Let's go ******* mental" is absolutely fine by me...but a lot of people, including me, aren't going to chant that.

I grieved at losing the original celebration response after those first few games in Season 1...but it's fair enough that we did. It's what led me to this forum - lol.

I hope we keep this one - I don't care who else uses it or how organic it is ( for Marron :meep:) .

We need somthing that works...even if people don't sing along to it.

Everything else we've used,  to me, has been crap, including  that creepy  "I'm a Wanderer" song that's played at the end.

Ugh!!! 

But last night's choice is a no brainer...I think.

So, what was the goal celebration song?

I was in the middle of "Let's go flaming mental" and didn't couldn't hear anything else on the speakers. Just watched the goal on replay and couldn't pick out anything there either.

16 hours ago, DamnedUnited said:

Others better qualified can comment on the game. I was underwhelmed by our efforts in Active. We have a long way to go before the type of atmosphere Parra used to have is rekindled. The RBB is lacking an intensity as is the interaction with the stands. I fear we are going to have to do a whole bunch of winning to reclaim past glories because the move alone to a shiny new stadium ain't going to be enough. At the beginning of the second half the capo walked out maybe he took offense at comments he missed our goal I don't know but the second half was essentially rudderless despite the vain efforts of some. I think we will have a squad to do well this season and tonight's game made clear a lot of work needs to be done on and off the field because average attendances of 12k is going to make Parra a lonely planet of a ground. 

I'm on the Leeds forum and they were quite impressed at our efforts. If only they knew.

Babbel said he doesn’t like the A-league’s recycled players. So the team will need to be made up of quality veterans with good youngsters sprinkled in.

I liked the look of the youngsters. The LB did pretty well for his age and the quality of opposition. #32 and #35 showed good feet when they came on, especially #35 he’s going to be a handful.

20 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Babbel said he doesn’t like the A-league’s recycled players. So the team will need to be made up of quality veterans with good youngsters sprinkled in.

I liked the look of the youngsters. The LB did pretty well for his age and the quality of opposition. #32 and #35 showed good feet when they came on, especially #35 he’s going to be a handful.

35 is Mo Adam. He's got big wraps from those who know the youngsters. And is considered a chance to step up this season.

32 is Lochlan Constable. He's 1 of the 5 WSW youngsters picked for the U18 national squad for the training camp pre next month's tournament. 

6 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Have you conveniently forgotten about Adelaide and Brisbane?

Oh god really? Prob never noticed with Brisbane coz there’s rarely anyone there and the ground is so vast and empty it gets lost:cheeky:. Can’t recall Adelaide but I’ll take your word for it. In any case it needs to go....

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

So, what was the goal celebration song?

I was in the middle of "Let's go flaming mental" and didn't couldn't hear anything else on the speakers. Just watched the goal on replay and couldn't pick out anything there either.

You'll have heard it in an ad...can't remember which.

2 hours ago, 102megan said:

I was about to ask that too, haha. 

You'll know it...a 90s mega-hit.

Clue in my opening line  :lol:. Surely others noticed?

I'm sure it's cliched sporting celebration music ...  but unless something better comes up, it's  better than anything else we've had in the past....imho.

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I'm sure it's cliched sporting celebration music ...  but unless something better comes up, it's  better than anything else we've had in the past....imho.

Goal celebration songs are for no mark championship clubs.. can’t we just let the crowd celebrate? 

7 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Better than that god awful 'i predict a riot' Leeds United promo shyte flashing up on the screens 'were all Leeds United right?' load of bollocks lol

Edited by Erimus
44 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Goal celebration songs are for no mark championship clubs.. can’t we just let the crowd celebrate? 

They do ...in unison ...with a goal celebration song!

I envy Victory supporters their walk out song, and their goal celebration....every time I hear either.

For those half dozen weeks we stole what the Victory use (I think until the Adelaide 6-1 miracle) it was joyous to join in with everyone in the stands (not the RBB - they were going too ******* mental to even notice) to sing together. :P

Young and old - it was magical. 

Sure you can say "YESSSSSS!" and jump around with your neighbours in the stadium, but (to me) a song makes it even better - if its a good one, of course.

37 minutes ago, mack said:

At least the Kaiser Chiefs are actually from Leeds unlike Blur, who are not from Western Sydney.

Sorry - I couldn't care less where it comes from, or who else uses it - it's simple, familiar to anyone young, and probably to older people as well. It just works. Any one can join in.

What's your choice Mack?

I'll go resurrect the Walk Out Song thread, and we can go Round 563 on the subject if you'd prefer not to derail this thread! :D

All we'll need now is a decent Walk Out song - and I don't care where it comes from either- if it inspires, is familiar, easy to join in ...and works.

:meep::meep:

35 minutes ago, HillsWanderer said:

I thought we did alright last considering:

Leeds squad is worth around 88 million Euro https://www.transfermarkt.com/leeds-united/startseite/verein/399

Wanderers squad is valued at 5.8 million Euro. https://www.transfermarkt.com/western-sydney-wanderers/startseite/verein/36100

When you see figures like those stacked up side by side - either for club sides or for national squads, it makes you realise what an absolute nonsense the values of those mega stars are. So ridiculously "over valued".

Sure they were better than us - for lots of reasons, but 14 times better a team than ours?

Pffft.