Sign in to follow this  
mack

Music Thread 4

I loved this song from the first moment I heard it. Weird video clip though.

Paul Kelly and Casey Chambers worked so well together. She has an amazingly unique singing voice.

On 30/10/2019 at 8:51 PM, wendybr said:

Saw an item on Archie on 7.30 tonight, featuring this lovely song.

He was on ABC Conversations today. 

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/archie-roach/11642088

^^^ :good:

On 24/10/2019 at 8:35 PM, marron said:

And, in all seriousness the award for greatest vocal range in terms of pitch AND style must go to Mike Patton. He can do it all.

Agree, Saw Faith No More live at a little pub called the Marquee on Parramatta rd (became Rios or something) when The Real Thing came out in about 89. Stood right in front of stage and was blown away.. literally...

Corey Taylor's vocal would be up there too..

Edited by MadKaw

2 minutes ago, MadKaw said:

Agree, Saw Faith No More live at a little pub called the Marquee on Parramatta rd (became Rios or something) when The Real Thing came out in about 89. Stood right in front of stage and was blown away.. literally...

Corey Taylor's vocal would be up there too..

I remember that tour they came out just before epic went big and played a bunch of smaller venues I might have imagined it but I think they played the collector at parra 

Still favourite faith no more albums is Introduce yourself (the pre Paton album)

95 cents **** you, I’ll skate to the beach and I’ll look better getting there 

25 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I remember that tour they came out just before epic went big and played a bunch of smaller venues I might have imagined it but I think they played the collector at parra 

Still favourite faith no more albums is Introduce yourself (the pre Paton album)

95 cents **** you, I’ll skate to the beach and I’ll look better getting there 

You imagined it.. :-) Closest to the west was Camperdown, I had the t-shirt with all the venues on it, until the divorce, couldn't find it after that... :-)

I really miss that shirt..

But that was the tour, all small places, all packed...  Good times...

Saw SUM41 at the crowbar a few months back. only a few hundred there as it was practice gig for the download.. brilliant. ! love the small venues..

Edited by MadKaw

15 minutes ago, MadKaw said:

You imagined it.. :-) Closest to the west was Camperdown, I had the t-shirt with all the venues on it, until the divorce, couldn't find it after that... :-)

I really miss that shirt..

But that was the tour, all small places, all packed...  Good times...

Saw SUM41 at the crowbar a few months back. only a few hundred there as it was practice gig for the download.. brilliant. ! love the small venues..

I was close 

http://www.fnmlive.com/gig/485

They appeared at the Cobra Club thing “80shairmetaltastic”

small venues are the best, 

my favourite was always the annandale (criminal it’s not a venue now) upstairs at the Lansdowne is good now 

I remember Marquee at Camperdown can’t think what bands I seen there 

In about 95, my mate told me he'd seen them in a small venue. I doubt he was talking about 90. According to that site they only played the Hordern. I was always jealous of him, but

a) maybe he was talking **** (probable)

b) maybe it was some kind of secret side gig (possible).

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

my favourite was always the annandale (criminal it’s not a venue now) upstairs at the Lansdowne is good now

**** I miss The Annandale. I saw countless great gigs there. The Rule brothers book The Lansdowne now, don't they?

1 hour ago, Carns said:

**** I miss The Annandale. I saw countless great gigs there. The Rule brothers book The Lansdowne now, don't they?

Yes they do, the sponsored my footy team for a couple of seasons, we’d go back post game start drinking out the back then watch whatever band was on still wearing shinnies and shirt 

Annandale was good. Lansdowne too back in the day, haven't been to it for like 20 years maybe, for a gig anyway. Used to work next door in that building on the corner. Iron Duke was tops. Green Square around the corner had stuff on for a while. The Empire up the road from the Annandale too. Sando of course, the Globe up from there.

18 hours ago, marron said:

Annandale was good. Lansdowne too back in the day, haven't been to it for like 20 years maybe, for a gig anyway. Used to work next door in that building on the corner. Iron Duke was tops. Green Square around the corner had stuff on for a while. The Empire up the road from the Annandale too. Sando of course, the Globe up from there.

Hopetoun was alright although a bit whimsical for my liking 

What made the Hoey whimsical? Was a shame when it went, marked a sad turning point in Sydney's live music scene.

26 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Hopetoun was alright although a bit whimsical for my liking 

Yeah I never went there much, I know I went a few times, but the only one I can remember clearly was Mach Pelican. Not sure about the whimsy but the bands that usually seemed to play there at the time seemed middle of the road alternative with nothing to say and a few accoustic numbers maybe.

There was one up from the Gaelic Club..... or maybe on Foveax st, that was a real dive, I can't remember the name, although there was another pub with the same name in Glebe. Bat and Ball had shows sometimes. Also that one in Chippendale opposite the hellfire place. Bar Broadway too.

Then the Warren View in Enmore, no, the one further down on the corner there, Vic on the Park, yes? A bikie joint, they would't book punk rock, but reggae was okay because of the islander boys.

Up this way the Gearin was good and rough (currently shut :( ) and also what was the name of that place in Newy.... ****, can't remember. It's all starting to go.

I do miss the warehouse/studio shows though.

:(

Joan Baza sings Dylan ...

I sat my dad down and said listen to this I borrowed the record from a mates brother... it sent my Dad off he was a returned sailor from WWII and lost a brother in Korea and had another brother in Vietnam in the front line.

Dad said it was one of the greatest songs he had ever heard ... said the Yanks should listen but never will...

On 02/11/2019 at 11:02 PM, marron said:

You guys are taking me back, had a well spent youth in those places.. You can add Petersham inn, Trade union club, Kardomah Cafe, Bayview hotel, Caringbah inn, Coogee bay hotel, Dee Why hotel, Tivoli, Royal sutho, Sweethearts (cabra) etc, etc.. We use to get around a lot on weekends - even saw the Trilobites at Valentines (?) in Blacktown westfields - Mike Dalton is now better known for his channel 9 news stuff...

Good times, bands on everywhere... 

1 hour ago, MadKaw said:

You guys are taking me back, had a well spent youth in those places.. You can add Petersham inn, Trade union club, Kardomah Cafe, Bayview hotel, Caringbah inn, Coogee bay hotel, Dee Why hotel, Tivoli, Royal sutho, Sweethearts (cabra) etc, etc.. We use to get around a lot on weekends - even saw the Trilobites at Valentines (?) in Blacktown westfields - Mike Dalton is now better known for his channel 9 news stuff...

Kardomah and Springfields round the corner 

chuck in the venue above Newtown station that changed its name all the time 

11 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Kardomah and Springfields round the corner 

chuck in the venue above Newtown station that changed its name all the time 

I have fond memories (and some cracking tales) of playing at the Sando, Annandale and at Trams (above Newtown station). Half the fun was getting to gigs, but there was this guy at the time who made a living from carting all the band's around on the weekend in his white econovan. 

2 hours ago, MadKaw said:

Went to some of those (although some were before my time, I think). Teacher's club was a place I always heard about but it was done I think. Went to Caringbah several times, Coogee Bay a few times. I never went to Dee Why but went to Manly, that famous one, full of wankers.

I'm remembering a string of places on the way down to Wollongong that had occasional shows, in places like Thirroul and Corrimal and stuff.

Some odd ones, out  of nowhere - The Eastwood. I know there were other suburban ones, just can't remember the names anymore.

Hey Stringer, the only thing I remember above the station was a dodgy as **** hot fat shop that sold fried beef rolls that were the tastiest thing in the world until they inevitably came back up. Do you mean the one on the other side of it from the Townie? Then the Oxford across the road, I don't remember gigs there but they had a wicked juke box.

Just now, marron said:

Zach, Trams, holy ****. Now I remember.

Yeezus it was a shith*le. I distinctly remember the name as we where supporting powderfinger (way before they got big) one night and our band drank there rider "by mistake", and Bernie and Jon wanted to f'n kill us.

14 minutes ago, marron said:

Went to some of those (although some were before my time, I think). Teacher's club was a place I always heard about but it was done I think. Went to Caringbah several times, Coogee Bay a few times. I never went to Dee Why but went to Manly, that famous one, full of wankers.

I'm remembering a string of places on the way down to Wollongong that had occasional shows, in places like Thirroul and Corrimal and stuff.

Some odd ones, out  of nowhere - The Eastwood. I know there were other suburban ones, just can't remember the names anymore.

Hey Stringer, the only thing I remember above the station was a dodgy as **** hot fat shop that sold fried beef rolls that were the tastiest thing in the world until they inevitably came back up. Do you mean the one on the other side of it from the Townie? Then the Oxford across the road, I don't remember gigs there but they had a wicked juke box.

I also remember the swamp bar at western Sydney uni. 

17 minutes ago, marron said:

The Family Inn at Rydalmere and The Vicar of Wakefield at Dural. I saw Cold Chisel at the Family, one Friday, and at the Vicar the next, in their early days, within a week.

The Family was a ******* rocking place in its day.

9 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Yeezus it was a shith*le. I distinctly remember the name as we where supporting powderfinger (way before they got big) one night and our band drank there rider "by mistake", and Bernie and Jon wanted to f'n kill us.

yep that was it the I think It was called feedback for a bit too

excelsior in Surry hills was ok at times too

Also remember when Troy Horse rehearsal studio was opposite the sando, used to see bands dragging their gear across the road to play a gig 

You guys were lucky, I reckon even back in the 80's and 90's your clubs / live venues were pretty decent.

We had great live pub venues across the Boro but more often than not you had to make do with rough arse steel workers clubs / workers social clubs. Some good times and a few good bands. I hated them clubs though, not in a snobby way, it just felt like all hope had been sucked out of the place and the undercurrent was always tension. If a band was good they didn't applaud, they let you live. I seen a few bands live where some poor fella in it would get tortured for the way they looked, even if they were decent, they would walk off after 10 - 15mins and that was that..

If you wanted to see some proper live music often you had to go up the road to Newcastle or down to York or Leeds, Leeds Uni especially. **** Leeds and Newcastle were the massive bright lights back then, exciting to us :D

Edited by Smoggy