Music Thread 4

mack

Bohemian Rhapsody is this best song ...

Difficult and hugely objective...

Had one of those things with my nice she is 22, lives in the Armadale in the New England, and we were debating groups / singers etc ... and she challenged me for my best song... and OMG Stairway to  Heaven, Question [Moody Blues], Comfortably Numb, Hey Jude, Paint it Black, Drive [Carrs], Zombie [Cranberries], and i would argue When the War is Over [Cold Chesil], also the Voice, never forgetting close calls like Star man, Fast Car, Hotel California, Blowing in the Wind, never forgetting like previous songs like, Song of Joy, Old Man River, Moon River, 

So so so hard, but my choice was Queens, Bohemian In Rhapsody....

Anyone agree with my choice

On 02/05/2021 at 10:35 PM, Midfielder said:

Bohemian Rhapsody is this best song ...

Difficult and hugely objective...

Had one of those things with my nice she is 22, lives in the Armadale in the New England, and we were debating groups / singers etc ... and she challenged me for my best song... and OMG Stairway to  Heaven, Question [Moody Blues], Comfortably Numb, Hey Jude, Paint it Black, Drive [Carrs], Zombie [Cranberries], and i would argue When the War is Over [Cold Chesil], also the Voice, never forgetting close calls like Star man, Fast Car, Hotel California, Blowing in the Wind, never forgetting like previous songs like, Song of Joy, Old Man River, Moon River, 

So so so hard, but my choice was Queens, Bohemian In Rhapsody....

Anyone agree with my choice

Nope. :lol:

Really couldn't say what mine would be.

The Clash at the Rock Garden in Middlesbrough 19th May 1977

The Clash performing at The Rock Garden in Middlesbrough, 19th May 1977

Would like to say I was there, but unfortunately not born then. Would love to have been around for this. Guaranteed it all ended up in a fight after the gig and spilled out in to the streets, always did even in the 90's

Great stuff.

The equivalent gig here was at the Capitol Theatre! lol

Some nice film footage below from a year later in Glasgow. This was part of a kind of weird movie about a fictional roadie played by an actor but they just had  loose script and just followed the band around filming with this guy getting smashed and generally being useless. So this is complete with some scenes of the bouncers getting rough with kids and stuff. But in the second one there's a great real live moment where the band are telling the bouncers to leave the kids alone trying to get them to calm the **** down. Then they give up, **** it, let's play White Riot and make their lives miserable. Great stuff.

Love all the complete DIY stuff in the first one on the streets outside too, not a single bought t-shirt to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6P6GMJmBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC3y4HGw4EM

3 hours ago, marron said:

Great stuff.

The equivalent gig here was at the Capitol Theatre! lol

Some nice film footage below from a year later in Glasgow. This was part of a kind of weird movie about a fictional roadie played by an actor but they just had  loose script and just followed the band around filming with this guy getting smashed and generally being useless. So this is complete with some scenes of the bouncers getting rough with kids and stuff. But in the second one there's a great real live moment where the band are telling the bouncers to leave the kids alone trying to get them to calm the **** down. Then they give up, **** it, let's play White Riot and make their lives miserable. Great stuff.

Love all the complete DIY stuff in the first one on the streets outside too, not a single bought t-shirt to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6P6GMJmBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC3y4HGw4EM

If you are looking for a Clash doco then this BBC4 one is very good. Rare footage from when they were starting out set against the social backdrop of the late 70's and how that was influencing them.

When people got angry...and that inspired their creativity -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_HszocRxSg

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

If you are looking for a Clash doco then this BBC4 one is very good. Rare footage from when they were starting out set against the social backdrop of the late 70's and how that was influencing them.

When people got angry...and that inspired their creativity -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_HszocRxSg

Oh yeah, that's a great one. I've watched most clash things haha. Specifically I've watched the beginning of that a hundred times - love how temple puts his docos together. That opening few minutes is amazing, if you look at the editing on it closely you start to realise, holy crap, it's perfection.

And he makes a great point about people not having seen themselves on television before. We take it for granted now. I still remember that fascination, when dad got a video camera, in what, 1990 or something. A while back I went down a rabbit hole of this guy who did vox pops and things back in the 70s with people, it's amazing to see how people reacted to the camera - just different to how people do now. He'd be interviewing someone and suddenly there'd be a massive crowd of people just standing around looking down the barrel.

Anyway, Temple, yeah, really like his style. His other one on the Clash is good, so is his one on the Sex Pistols where he makes Malcolm Maclaren out to be Richard III pulling the strings. And also Oil City Confidential, great stuff about Dr Feelgood.

Watched this a few times too:

14 minutes ago, marron said:

Oh yeah, that's a great one. I've watched most clash things haha. Specifically I've watched the beginning of that a hundred times - love how temple puts his docos together. That opening few minutes is amazing, if you look at the editing on it closely you start to realise, holy crap, it's perfection.

And he makes a great point about people not having seen themselves on television before. We take it for granted now. I still remember that fascination, when dad got a video camera, in what, 1990 or something. A while back I went down a rabbit hole of this guy who did vox pops and things back in the 70s with people, it's amazing to see how people reacted to the camera - just different to how people do now. He'd be interviewing someone and suddenly there'd be a massive crowd of people just standing around looking down the barrel.

Anyway, Temple, yeah, really like his style. His other one on the Clash is good, so is his one on the Sex Pistols where he makes Malcolm Maclaren out to be Richard III pulling the strings. And also Oil City Confidential, great stuff about Dr Feelgood.

Watched this a few times too:

Thanks for that, will take a look.

And wouldn't be hard to make Malcolm Maclaren out to be a dodgy ****er, he was a slippery bastard for sure. This is worth a listen, Steve Jones interviews Malcolm Maclaren on his radio show. Someone says in the notes Malcolm sounds like a dodgy Dickensian Fagan type character, that's about right. Jones isn't joking when he says 'where's the money' ! lol