The Madaschi Cup

The Madaschi Cup is moving along nicely...thanks to all who have voted so far.

Here's how the round of sixteen match ups are looking so far, with numbers for Groups E, F, G & H still low. The figures in brackets are the votes that have been received for each player:

• A1 Vs D2: Kuzmanovski (10) vs Rukavytsa (5) 

I would be a little surprised to see K-Man beat out Ruka. The former was a kid who had a few games, promised a bit but ultimately was part of the Popa regime where youngsters were jettisoned quicker than you could say D'Cunha. Rukavytsa should've been a match winner for us even with his shite control. Surely a Socceroo who fails in red & black deserves to go through to the quarters

• A2 vs D1: Tongyik (8) vs Griffiths (6)

This could go either way if the match up stays the same. Neither did much for us, with Griffiths probably the more ignoble because of the inverse relationship between what he said off pitch and what he did on it.

• B2 v C1: Risdon (4) vs Adeleke (14)

Even though Risdon is another Socceroo who did SFA for us over a lot of games surely he'll be taken down by the juggernaut that is Seyi Adeleke.

• B1 vs C2: Herd (14) vs Kuskami (4)

Herd is attracting a lot of support and surely must be a candidate for the semis. If Kusumaki was to be matched up against others in the cup (e.g. Kuzmanovski) I'd reckon he would be a strong chance of going through.

• E1 vs H2: Sotirio (5) vs Scott (1)

Sotirio might be a dark horse for the semis and I expect him to pull double figures. Even with Group H at this early stage I am sure Scott won't make it past this round even if he gets this far.

• E2 vs H1: Mahazi (4) vs Kwabs (2)

This will be a fascinating match up and one that is way too close to call. I'd lean towards Kwabs but who knows.

• F2 vs G1: Pinatares (2) vs Piovaccari (3)

Easily the match up of the round of 16. Either one of these two should be in the semis or even the GF. 

• F1 vs G2: Borda (7) vs Sim (1)

Borda should win this in a canter. Sim would have to be alongside Scott & maybe Risdon as one of the least likely to get through to the quarters.

Here are the links so you can vote if you haven't already:

Group A: https://linkto.run/p/PFJLA5K7 (ends Tuesday midnight)

Group B: https://linkto.run/p/72ARX0US (ends Tuesday midnight)

Group C: https://linkto.run/p/ET0YLZBV (ends Thursday midnight)

Group D: https://linkto.run/p/SQ4D5PI8 (ends Friday midnight)

Group E: https://linkto.run/p/2S2MZ3EN (ends Saturday midnight)

Group F: https://linkto.run/p/JYT0L8LU (ends Saturday midnight)

Group G: https://linkto.run/p/BDSP2RTY (ends next Sunday, midnight)

Group H: https://linkto.run/p/H1VK0O8J (ends next Sunday midnight)

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Last day of voting for Groups A & B. K-Man & Herd look to have a lock on winning their respective groups however second place is definitely not settled with Pepper & Tongyik split by only 1 vote. And Youlley has overtaken Risdon for the second qualifying spot in Group B (again by 1 vote).

I feel like we need to make this a yearly award, too many groups were so close to call! Could have voted all of them :lol:

I do feel bad for Nick Ward making the list, an injury replacement for an injury replacement in that ridiculous third season. Comes on in the last five minutes of a game due to an injury, only do an ACL! 

32 minutes ago, teddies said:

@ManfredSchaefer you should also apply this to other HAL teams...  then top 4 from all teams to be included in a Champions league type tournament!  :cheeky:

I assume it’s because I only really pay attention to our squad that I feel like in our short history we have had more crap foreign players than the other teams 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

I assume it’s because I only really pay attention to our squad that I feel like in our short history we have had more crap foreign players than the other teams 

We've had them appear in batches. For example, in that woeful 2014/15 season we had Saba and Adeleke both given the arse in the January transfer window. Pinatares, Bordfa & Kusukami were part of our 2016/17 season. Then there has been the likes of Pio who was so ordinary he stood out like dog's balls.

I suspect our worst have been worse than most other clubs, but we've also had some of the best, particularly in the first two seasons. Other clubs have either had a batch of average o/s recruits or they've had some absolute stunners (as per the smurfs & vuck). 

It's easy for us to laugh regretfully over Adeleke, but was he any worse than (for example) Gallas?

BTW some interesting stats re the double digit duds...here are all players who have collected 10 or more votes as of 4.00pm today:

• Piovaccari: 21
  • Adeleke: 19
  • Herd: 17
  • Borda: 17
  • Kuzmanovski: 12
  • Griffths: 12
  • Appiah-Kubi: 12
  • Tongyik: 11

Really surprised that Pinatares hasn't done better (or should that be worse)

As for the Zero Vote Heroes, they are as follows:

• Carrusca
  • Clisby
  • Shabow
  • Alessi
  • Kalmar
  • Golec
  • Tyson

I suspect that if I had changed out a couple of these with the likes of Tokich, Hall (who never played a serious game for us), D'Cunha, Fofannah, Zinni & Melling there would have been no one who would avoid at least one vote. And when (not if) Nizic leaves he'll be part of the mix for an updated edition.

9 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

Keen to hear people's thoughts as to why Dino Kresinger hasn't been included in this list.

:ninja:

Now Manfred can correct me if I have this wrong but......there is no way one of his Wanderers heroes is getting voted out of the house.:ninja:

Edited by sonar
4 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Keen to hear people's thoughts as to why Dino Kresinger hasn't been included in this list.

:ninja:

Dino may not have been the most prolific of scorers however he formed an invaluable part of the first season team. After a few early games where he struggled he was very adept at getting himself into the right position in the second man tactical set up Popa organised. The classic example of this was his work with Shinji in the away game against Brisbane where he drew the defenders and allowed (I think) Hersi to score. He also never gave up (unlike plenty of those cited on the list, was rarely supplanted by an alternate or reserve (Joey Gibbes barely got a look in) and he SCORED THE FOOKING BACK HEEL FFS!!

7 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

BTW some interesting stats re the double digit duds...here are all players who have collected 10 or more votes as of 4.00pm today:

• Piovaccari: 21
  • Adeleke: 19
  • Herd: 17
  • Borda: 17
  • Kuzmanovski: 12
  • Griffths: 12
  • Appiah-Kubi: 12
  • Tongyik: 11

Really surprised that Pinatares hasn't done better (or should that be worse)

As for the Zero Vote Heroes, they are as follows:

• Carrusca
  • Clisby
  • Shabow
  • Alessi
  • Kalmar
  • Golec
  • Tyson

I suspect that if I had changed out a couple of these with the likes of Tokich, Hall (who never played a serious game for us), D'Cunha, Fofannah, Zinni & Melling there would have been no one who would avoid at least one vote. And when (not if) Nizic leaves he'll be part of the mix for an updated edition.

I can’t believe Clisby makes the list, he was decent for us, far better defender than Llorente who you missed 

Groups A & B are closed and here are the results:

Group A:

• Jacob Pepper: 8 votes
  • Marcelo Carrusca: 0 votes
  • Steve Kuzmanovski: 13 votes
  • Ruon Tongyik: 11 votes

Group B:

• Daniel Mullen: 2 votes
  • Liam Youlley: 5 votes
  • Chris Herd: 17 votes
  • Josh Risdon: 7 votes

Here are the links for those groups that will define who matches up with Kuzmanovski, Tongyik, Herd and Risdon:

7 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I can’t believe Clisby makes the list, he was decent for us, far better defender than Llorente who you missed 

Perhaps Llorente would've been a better (worse) option than Clisby. Both he & Cejudo will certainly warrant consideration when the cup runs again ;)

9 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Groups A & B are closed and here are the results:

Group A:

• Jacob Pepper: 8 votes
  • Marcelo Carrusca: 0 votes
  • Steve Kuzmanovski: 13 votes
  • Ruon Tongyik: 11 votes

Group B:

• Daniel Mullen: 2 votes
  • Liam Youlley: 5 votes
  • Chris Herd: 17 votes
  • Josh Risdon: 7 votes

Here are the links for those groups that will define who matches up with Kuzmanovski, Tongyik, Herd and Risdon:

Perhaps Llorente would've been a better (worse) option than Clisby. Both he & Cejudo will certainly warrant consideration when the cup runs again ;)

Is forgot cejudo gives Pio a run for his money in the most expensive flop category

Cejudo couldn’t deal with be constantly kicked without the referee giving him anything 

He looked confused in the derby

Another update from the groups that are yet to close:

• Group C: Shut the gate re Adeleke winning this group. However Kusukami & Ward are now equal on 5 votes.
  • Group D: Hard to see how Griffiths (14 votes) and Rukavytsa (8) can be caught.
  • Group E: Really tightening up now with Sotirio & Mahazi both on 9 votes & Fitzgerald coming in with 7. 
  • Group F: Borda is home & hosed for first place whilst Pinatares has opened up a 2 vote lead on Saba (6 to 4)
  • Group G: Pio absolutely romping it with 24 votes & Sim is a long way back with 2.
  • Group H: Kwabs, much like his on the pitch effort, is running away with it on 14 votes. McDonald & Scott are neck & neck on 6 & 5 votes respectively.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

Group H: very surprised McDonald is leading Scott. Scott was no better but got an extended run. 

McDonald was a kid who had some flashy tekkers and should've gone on with it. Recall seeing him play NYL and looked ok. Then he went off to Wolves & did well enough to get a recall to the HAL via the Sea Bogans didn't do enough to warrant retention under Stajic. So, you'd have to think his opportunity to make a significant career out of top flight Oz sokkah is at an end.

Scott is at another level when it comes to not succeeding however. As Taurus will collaborate he dropped his bundle mentally & physically after his first few games and never really delivered on his youth promise. He's been banging them in for the Wolves so maybe he might return to the A-League, but right now I'd argue he's the more frustrating of the two because he should have done so much more with us with so many opportunities.

20 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

McDonald was a kid who had some flashy tekkers and should've gone on with it. Recall seeing him play NYL and looked ok. Then he went off to Wolves & did well enough to get a recall to the HAL via the Sea Bogans didn't do enough to warrant retention under Stajic. So, you'd have to think his opportunity to make a significant career out of top flight Oz sokkah is at an end.

Scott is at another level when it comes to not succeeding however. As Taurus will collaborate he dropped his bundle mentally & physically after his first few games and never really delivered on his youth promise. He's been banging them in for the Wolves so maybe he might return to the A-League, but right now I'd argue he's the more frustrating of the two because he should have done so much more with us with so many opportunities.

Indeed

Group C has closed & here are the results:

• Jumpei Kusukami: 5 votes
  • Nick Ward: 6 votes
  • Seyi Adeleke: 22 votes
  • Jack Clisby: 0 votes

A little surprised to see Ward beat out Kusukami but obviously his cameo injury replacement injury has left a far more indelible blot on our collective memory that Jumpei's erratic tekkers.

This means the following round of 16 qualifiers have been confirmed:

Match Up 3: B2 vs C1: Josh Risdon vs Seyi Adeleke

Match Up 4: B1 vs C2: Chris Herd vs Nick Ward

These two matches will kick off next week after the resolution of the remaining groups.

As we have now seen Carrusca and Clisby both polling 0 votes they will not be qualifying for the next iteration of the Madaschi Cup before the 2020/21 season. 

7 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Group C has closed & here are the results:

• Jumpei Kusukami: 5 votes
  • Nick Ward: 6 votes
  • Seyi Adeleke: 22 votes
  • Jack Clisby: 0 votes

A little surprised to see Ward beat out Kusukami but obviously his cameo injury replacement injury has left a far more indelible blot on our collective memory that Jumpei's erratic tekkers.

This means the following round of 16 qualifiers have been confirmed:

Match Up 3: B2 vs C1: Josh Risdon vs Seyi Adeleke

Match Up 4: B1 vs C2: Chris Herd vs Nick Ward

These two matches will kick off next week after the resolution of the remaining groups.

As we have now seen Carrusca and Clisby both polling 0 votes they will not be qualifying for the next iteration of the Madaschi Cup before the 2020/21 season. 

Staggered on the Nick Ward thing apart from his leg falling off, I can’t think of what he did wrong, granted I can’t think of anything else he did.

Where as the Japanese Sotirio was on marquee money (or not far off) and was dreadful over multiple seasons. 

Apart from a couple of screamers in dead ACL ties and a step over on the first derby. 

Hed pass to nobody when he should shoot, shoot when he could pass, dribble the ball into trouble and lose it, totally ineffective player. So bad that even Gumby could see it and moved him on.

group H is H for Harsh, none of them are really that bad. Kwabs did ok in ACL for us, but really just isnt a footballer, the others kids who didn’t make it, there will be a constant flow of kids coming through the team who just don’t make it, most won’t, they’ll go on and play NPL or for mariners (same thing really) as that’s their level 

7 hours ago, matty said:

Haha Ward worse than Jumpei. That'll do me. The Asian Sotirio was on very good money and didn't do anything for multiple seasons.

Someone voted 4 or 5 times

The site I've used for the poll should have minimised against multiple voting by one person however it may have happened. It's down to individuals' integrity to do the right thing.

Jumpei was highly ineffectual that's for sure & I agree with what you say. Was he one of the 16 last impressive players for us? Yeah, I think so. However at the end of the day this irreverent exercise is designed to find the worst full stop as well as echo some of the fun a cup tourney allows.

Think of Ward's second place in the group as his Germany 2006 golden generation moment :P