Alexander Meier

mack

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

We all talk about how German players are influenced by Thomas Broich to move to A-league  looks like Meier's quick research on A-league Broich's name was one that influenced him to come to Australia

I suspect that those who were directly influenced are few in number (unser Helde Jerome Polenz being an obvious example). Now I would expect it's just a name check as two of the leading reasons we are getting a few Deutschies are Babbel & Kurz. The combination of established channels into the German speaking football markets (thus including Switzerland and Austria) and the desire to play for German gaffers who want them here will have a far greater pull than Big Nose Broich

• 2 weeks later...
On 24 September 2019 at 3:41 AM, Sithslayer1991 said:

We all talk about how German players are influenced by Thomas Broich to move to A-league  looks like Meier's quick research on A-league Broich's name was one that influenced him to come to Australia

Who needs Google if you can have a chat with your ex team captain and old friend Pirmin Schwegler about your prospective new employer? 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

wow we really did our due diligence on that one didn’t we

It was always going to be a risk bringing over a 36 (now 37 year old). We had tried our first through tenth choice & this guy came up on the radar. He had the pedigree, experience & type of player we are looking for but he was too old.

There is literally zero chance of asking players to come out here for a trial, you’ve got to put your money on the table & hope that things work out. He had been training in the U.S so you’d think he’d aclimatised (somewhat) to the hard pitches & hot climate.)

Then throw in there were some personal issues going on behind the scenes (and his family weren’t able to get visas to be with him in Australia). It’s obvious in the end his body just wasn’t able to do what was needed (I still maintain that he wasn’t used in the right way, playing midfield, chasing lost causes, running channels etc).

I’d say that he was a high risk signing but there were forces at play that were bigger than any scouting report could highlight but all that doesn’t matter if you don’t use a player in the right way. At least he had the honor to call it a day, could have easily just sat back & took the money, he didn’t.

• 3 weeks later...