Sign in to follow this  
ManfredSchaefer

Boozers in Parra on Game Day

See you in about an hour! 

Be interested to see people's thoughts on how their individual/group Parra boozer experiences went yesterday.

The Royal Oak went okay, though the size of the place meant that by march time it was as full as a Pommy complaint box. Service seemed okay (aside from them running out of Coopers Pale at one point) and looked like folk got fed & watered without major hassles. The rain had a bit of an impact on the outdoor area but not much. Saw some Sea Bogans but not too many. Post game there were a few WSW folk drinking, eating etc.

For the derby we may need to make a bit of an effort to get in early and perhaps claim the room behind the back bar. Happy to set up camp there early in the day with other similar drunken sokkah hools.

As I mentioned on here Manny, the Royal Oak is always pretty full with WSW fans most games. The big games are jam packed, can be tough with a large group. Great pub, but it may not suit everyone's individual needs.

They did have issues back in S2 or S3 when the Victory fans used it for an away game and were attacked by some well 'ard hools. After that, they put a ban on large groups of away fans using the pub as their drinking hole. There have been no issues since and small numbers of away fans happily mix in.

1 minute ago, Carns said:

As I mentioned on here Manny, the Royal Oak is always pretty full with WSW fans most games. The big games are jam packed, can be tough with a large group. Great pub, but it may not suit everyone's individual needs.

They did have issues back in S2 or S3 when the Victory fans used it for an away game and were attacked by some well 'ard hools. After that, they put a ban on large groups of away fans using the pub as their drinking hole. There have been no issues since and small numbers of away fans happily mix in.

It's a pisser that it'll be gone next year. Whilst Parra is our home and there are lots of great venues in general, losing two boozers that are so close to Bankwest is a shitty situation.

The conspiracy theorist in me could suggest this is all a Parra Eels/Parra Council plot...:ninja:

The Oak is good for its size - decent food and reasonably priced drinks

My personal preference is the Albion as tables can be moved together for larger groups

29 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

The Oak is good for its size - decent food and reasonably priced drinks

My personal preference is the Albion as tables can be moved together for larger groups

If only it was closer to Wanderland

Plus, I wonder how it would work for them when we have Saturday night games & they have their night club in full swing. I suspect we'd get the short end of the stick.

Okay, been talking to our old mate Dmyxda who has an in with the Royal Oak. He can help us book tables for next Saturday's derby, so I've suggested making a tentative booking for 15 people starting from 3pm. Can I get some definitive feedback on who would want to rock up by Monday midday.

32 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Okay, been talking to our old mate Dmyxda who has an in with the Royal Oak. He can help us book tables for next Saturday's derby, so I've suggested making a tentative booking for 15 people starting from 3pm. Can I get some definitive feedback on who would want to rock up by Monday midday.

Is this the same Royal Oak that closes the bistro at 3pm? I am currently scouting food options

5 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Is this the same Royal Oak that closes the bistro at 3pm? I am currently scouting food options

Don't think the bistro closes at 3pm...all of us who were there last Saturday were able to get a feed with no worries re opening hours.

2 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Don't think the bistro closes at 3pm...all of us who were there last Saturday were able to get a feed with no worries re opening hours.

Hmm I may be Googling the wrong place 

387 Church St?

The bistro would close for lunch and then open again for dinner. Every night game when I've been to that pub for pre game you've been able to get a feed.

If you just want a feed and not a pub full of fans, just go somewhere on Eat Street. The pub will be jammed (but that's a good thing if you like that sort of thing).

1 minute ago, Carns said:

The bistro would close for lunch and then open again for dinner. Every night game when I've been to that pub for pre game you've been able to get a feed.

If you just want a feed and not a pub full of fans, just go somewhere on Eat Street.

Then you're likely to get a restaurant full of fans...which is good!

Theres a great persian restaurant 3doors up from the royal oak. Fantastic kebab, rice etc....

Its had a face lift and a new name but food remains as good. Its called Zara Rose

After a meal, you can head back to the pub

50 minutes ago, Carns said:

If you just want a feed and not a pub full of fans, just go somewhere on Eat Street. The pub will be jammed (but that's a good thing if you like that sort of thing).

There were a bucketload of us there last Saturday and the bistro was open at 2pm when I got there. was still going when I left at the march at 4pm, and then after the game I had a feed and a beer at 8.30-9.00pm.

The RO will be doing whatever they have to do to keep patrons there on game days.

7 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

That's a bit early for me 

7 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

yep no issue getting there at 3

On 19/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, ManfredSchaefer said:

So any chance I can get some confirmation vis-a-vis attendees numbers by midnight tonight...want to see if Dmyxda can sort out a reservation

I'll be elsewhere 

What happened to the sports bar at Church St?

12 minutes ago, SBW said:

What happened to the sports bar at Church St?

Actually never mind, I found thats the The Crown Hotel.

4 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

So any chance I can get some confirmation vis-a-vis attendees numbers by midnight tonight...want to see if Dmyxda can sort out a reservation

Not sure what time maybe 6ish + 1.

6 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Confirmed with Dmyxda that he's got us the room at the Royal Oak behind teh back bar...got it for 20 people starting from 3pm. I'll be there from thereon.

aiming to get there round 3:30

Will try and drop in if I can (+1).

Won't need a seat. It'll just be for a beer and a chat and catchup with old friends. Hopefully might meet a few new forumites.

Braad and I shall venture to the Royal Oak Satuday midday-ish. We shall have lunch, and two drinks (the first and the last, not counting the ones in between). Then I shall find a few volunteers to first carry me to, and then drag me along the March. Once in the stadium I shall hold on to that safe standing rail thing tightly, just to make sure that the whole stadium doesn't spin out of control and takes off into space.