Duke Double Opens Stadium

The VAR handed the Wanderers a priceless gift of a Mitch Duke penalty he buried, scoring the Wanderers a 2-1 win over the Central Coast Mariners in their Western Sydney Stadium A-League opener.

With the opening ceremony activities over, the 17000-plus Wanderers supporters filled the stadium with noise along with the sizeable contingent of travelling Mariners. An early injury to Tarek Elrich saw Daniel Wilmering come on with Daniel Georgievski swapping to the right flank, the fullback cutting inside in the 20th minute but his weak foot shot tamely went wide.

The Mariners opened the score in the 35th minute. A seemingly innocuous attack down the left flank by Jordan Murray result in the ball falling to the feet of midfielder Milan Duric, he lashed a shot at goal, it took a deflection that turned the shot from going over the bar to instead loop over the head of Daniel Lopar.

Western Sydney fought back well before half-time and they earned their equaliser through Captain Mitch Duke. The simplest of set pieces, the inswinging corner bought the Mariners undone. Pirmin Schwegler delivering a pin-point cross to the edge of the 6 yard box, Duke Rose high attacking the ball & flicking it on & under Mark Birighitti at the un-manned near post.

The Wanderers continued to turn up the heat, Kosta Grozos shooting from the edge of the area, forcing Birighitti into fumbling, Mo Adam was following in like any good striker does and his potential tap-in was smothered by a diving second save.

Georgievski was the catalyst for the Wanderers winner, he lobbed the ball into the penalty area for a Schwegler diving header back across goal, the desperate Mariners defence lashed a boot out, flicking it into the path of defender Dylan Fox who had stuck his arm out like a construction crane, making contact & giving the VAR a reason to intervene to send Duke to the spot. Captain Duke took the penalty well, sending Birighitti the wrong way and the Wanderers held on for the last 10 minutes, the perfect return to A-League football in Parramatta.

Western Sydney will face Melbourne Victory in Round 2, at the Docklands stadium on Friday, October 18th.

View full article

first thing i have to say was how great it was to see so many familiar faces again, at times felt like a family reunion, apart from having to see goat again it was nice seeing everyone really reminded me of the old days, on the stadium holy **** i knew it was going to be steep but not that steep i planned on going to the top but with my fear of heights never going that high :P i loved how steep it was, we were pretty terrible but so were CCM most likely didnt deserve the win but i'll take it 

nice to be back at parramatta

Interesting to hear babbel talk during the match about changes he made at half time - dropping duke back to stop us being outnumbered in midfield. Changes that gumby seemed incapable of making.

I really think we need to change shape or we will see every team exploit us the way the coasties did, box in our attacks against the sideline, force turnover, then quick hitting balls in behind the wingbacks which then pull the back 3 out of shape.

Needs to be fixed asap or we are look at a couple of pantsings coming up.

Lots of positives too though - schwegler is neat, adam's movement gave them a lot of trouble and jurman was a boss, the kid wilmering held up ok too.

Edited by lloydy136
3 minutes ago, Beer said:

I was told that we would be at full strength for round one... I guess that means Ziegler, Yeboah and Kamau are not in the Top XI! 

#wewillwinthecomp #gambleresponsibly 

In Babbels presser he said Bruce and Kwame are injured, Aussie Pat still isnt 100% - he also said that he had to risk Duke, Meier and Jurman who arent match fit, but he knew Ziegler wouldnt last the full 90 he needed out of him

Edited by Horus

Just watched the presser.

10+ min for MB, just on 5 min for a salty Stajcic (brought up in Smurf ways)

MB

Happy for the win ungappy with the performance partly due to injuries and depth.

Looking for Raddy replacement but needs to be of similar quality and wants to come, not as an after thought

Kamau was injured in training 

Ziggy nearly played

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

In Babbels presser he said Bruce and Kwame are injured, Aussie Pat still isnt 100% - he also said that he had to risk Duke, Meier and Jurman who arent match fit, but he knew Ziegler wouldnt last the full 90 he needed out of him

I’d be worried about all of these injuries but I’ve already put the house on us winning the comp because it’s a sure thing. 

6 minutes ago, Horus said:

Yep, makes the 3 points even more welcome when you realise the issues with injury and fitness, we were far from our best/

Slightly concerning for next week where we will be properly tested.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic