Duke Double Opens Stadium

40 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

GettyImages-98953787.jpg

I was thinking back to how Popa treated Shinji who, to some extent, came in on the back of a similar lead up time with perhaps even more expectations of being a creative influence on the team. Shinji was kid-gloved for a few games before he really got things flowing, which perhaps some would argue is how Markus should treat Meier. On reflection I think Babbel got it very right yesterday with Fussballgott, and agree with what you say.

I watched the reply on iview. On corners, the Sea-bogans triple marked AMFG 

Posted Tuesday at 02:10 PM

I see us as side still in pre-season. With several players coming back from injuries, not match fit and not having time to gel as

a team. As well as Meier only arriving a couple weeks ago. I think it will take us a month a least to be up and running at full capacity.

At this stage without seeing the team, I see a low scoring draw.

I just thought I would repost this. Glad to get the draw part wrong. Everything has been said in the above posts about how we played and being back home.

One thing that has gone unnoticed I think is the return of the WHITE SHORTS about time.

49 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

Posted Tuesday at 02:10 PM

I see us as side still in pre-season. With several players coming back from injuries, not match fit and not having time to gel as

a team. As well as Meier only arriving a couple weeks ago. I think it will take us a month a least to be up and running at full capacity.

At this stage without seeing the team, I see a low scoring draw.

I just thought I would repost this. Glad to get the draw part wrong. Everything has been said in the above posts about how we played and being back home.

One thing that has gone unnoticed I think is the return of the WHITE SHORTS about time.

White shorts in. 😁😁😁

3 hours ago, scarcev said:

It was ugly but last year and the few years before we lose that game after going one down.  Losing Elrich early and having to use all 3 subs with 20 to go with plenty of not fit players in Round 1 is usually recipe for defeat so it was a good 3pts and the type of bonus 3 points we haven't been getting since we moved to the shitholes. 

On another note, loved the smoking ceremony, and more importantly the reaction of the supporters, sometimes people don't see the value in those sort of things (and that is fine that is their choice) but it doesnt hurt to show respect and great to see everyone did.  I know behind the scenes the club is currently putting together a RAP (Reconciliation Action Plan being the first A League club to do so hopefully) to further engage the Indigenous community seeing as Western Sydney has the highest Indigenous population in Australia (not as a ratio of population but pure number wise) so to see this sort of thing is awesome.  Hopefully one day an Indigenous jersey comes out for an FFA Cup game or something it will look smoking in those colours.

On the point of the Indigenous jersey, I’d love for it to not just be a “one off” jersey, rather one we play several matches in! 

The RAP sounds promising and exciting - looking forward to hearing more on this. 

Edit:  (I’d also love for the jersey to be available in ladies sizings, you know, inclusivity)

3 minutes ago, 102megan said:

On the point of the Indigenous jersey, I’d love for it to not just be a “one off” jersey, rather one we play several matches in! 

The RAP sounds promising and exciting - looking forward to hearing more on this. 

Edit:  (I’d also love for the jersey to be available in ladies sizings, you know, inclusivity)

Hmmm...would an online petition help our cause?

4 minutes ago, 102megan said:

I'm sure consultation with indigenous artists could come up with a permanent design feature that could be included for all jerseys.....home and away. 

2 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Really?  I am going to fact check this.

https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/people/aboriginal-population-in-australia

Of any single region in Australia, western Sydney has the highest concentration of Aboriginal people. According to the census, around 2 million people were living in greater western Sydney in 2006. A little more than 25,000 of them identified as Aboriginal descent.

Edited by marron

Season opener won - for only the second time in eight years.

Six youngsters on the pitch, several senior players yet to be fully match fit: last year we would have lost this game. Schwegler Jurman and Lopar made the difference. 

Ono and Martinez arrived late and took a couple of months at least to fully come up to speed. AMFG will deliver the goods much sooner. 

Losing Kamau and Elrich hurts, but the biggest concern is Yeboah. Was injury prone while in Germany, and nothing much has changed. 

10 hours ago, Erebus said:

I think people need to realise and accept that the first couple of seasons was boosted by a tonne of bandwagoners, in active and non active. What you got in RBB was it. Either the bandwagoners are gone and/or FFA have lost quite a few over the years for various reasons.

Also, because it's safe standing, everyone packs in to the middle bay instead of spreading out.

^ This. There was probably 1 1/2 bays worth of people in the middle bay. 

2 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

On the upside Grozos had a bit of a run and didn't get injured right?

Keep reading bright things about this lad especially on this forum, don't really know a lot about him, but in the brief time he played yesterday i can fully understand the hype, thought he was energetic and skillful.

Think he will slot into Raddy's place seamlessly in coming weeks hope he starts in front of Sullivan next game.

on a side note, really how good is Duke? we are blessed to have him.

8 minutes ago, FCB said:

Season opener won - for only the second time in eight years.

Six youngsters on the pitch, several senior players yet to be fully match fit: last year we would have lost this game. Schwegler Jurman and Lopar made the difference. 

Ono and Martinez arrived late and took a couple of months at least to fully come up to speed. AMFG will deliver the goods much sooner. 

Losing Kamau and Elrich hurts, but the biggest concern is Yeboah. Was injury prone while in Germany, and nothing much has changed. 

Seriously worried about the next 2 games though, feel like we will get pumped.

18 minutes ago, GD07 said:

^ This. There was probably 1 1/2 bays worth of people in the middle bay. 

It must be recognised that going into the RBB isn’t just your usual game day experience & it really needs commitment.

i tried to do it for two seasons & the combo of hassles from seccos & cops, the physical demands required & the inability to just relax & take the game in did for me.

It’s not the kind of thing anyone & everyone can do, and I’m sure that a few folk have dropped off for similar reasons like me.

No matter how many are there in the safe standing, respect to those doing what they can to be active & fire up us sideline sitters.

58 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Seriously worried about the next 2 games though, feel like we will get pumped.

All depends on the injury ward and how soon the latecomers get match fit.. Who gets injured and when is going to play a huge part of our season......We need our senior players on the pitch and fit. I'm optimistic we will have a good year but too many injuries to key players and we may struggle at times otherwise. 

25 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

Either we're we. I think there both better than we are.

Didn't watch the Melbourne derby though from what I heard it was very lacklustre.

The Smurfs had to battle against an Adelaide team that was relatively young and had a defence that would've looked very familiar if they were playing for us last season. 

Yes, they nominally would be favourites going into the derby in a couple of weeks but we have room for improvement and it'll be in our back yard.

5 hours ago, wendybr said:

I should have mentioned this in my earlier post  - which Manfred did in one of his.

I loved the smoking ceremony  too - and even better, the didgeridoo sound reverberating around the stadium was absolutely awesome! 

It's a shame that important moments like that (and the recognition of previous players including Ante  :wub: which also happened) can't be signalled somehow - maybe on the big screen, so that the crowd knows what is about to happen, and those moments get full respect and attention.

I thought the response from the crowd was good also, considering the ceremony had to break through people's conversations and the general background noise of the stadium etc. I hope we see more of that involvement, and what you mention in your reference to the RAP!

Good stuff! :good:

my only complaint about that is just how loud the speakers were during the ceremony but i dont like how loud the normal noise is but it wasnt a huge issue just kinda loud for a few seconds

49 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

my only complaint about that is just how loud the speakers were during the ceremony but i dont like how loud the normal noise is but it wasnt a huge issue just kinda loud for a few seconds

Hahaha....I wanted it LOUDER!

I couldn't really clearly hear what the speaker said, which is why  I'd have liked attention drawn to it,  to let people know what was happening before it started.

And with the didgeridoo,  it could have been even louder for mine.

PS No...there's nothing wrong with my hearing. :lol:

Lopar - overall very good, great reaction saves as usual but a little suspect on a couple of punches - 8

Wilmering - excellent. This kid has class and poise, one of the best for us. 8.5

Jurman - very good. He's got a fiesty attitude and reads the game well. He's strong, tall and left footed. Hope to see him take the lead more as the season goes on. 7.5

Tass - very good for a youngster. I think he suffers at the moment, playing next to McGowan. 7.5

McGowan - not great. He's a bit off the pace and seems to have lost a bit of skill or something. At times he almost seems lost. A worry. 5.5

Elrich - did fine for the short time he was on the pitch. Tough for a veteran to play wing back at a pinch, did it willingly. 7

Georgevski - hot and cold. Good aggression but needs to focus it better. Seemed a bit lazy at times and maybe a bit cranky or disinterested. Hopefully attitude improves. Yellow card tackle was correct call from ref. 6.5

Baccus - not his best outing but looked better once Silvera came on for ccm. 7

Schwegler - class, our rock. God I hope he plays every game or we're in trouble. Hope he gets more vocal and takes command verbally. 8.5

Sullivan - was a bit of a stretch for the kid but had some good moments. Probably not a season long solution. 6.5

Duke - gives his all non-stop, leads well by example but wasn't at his best. Having said that, he scored two and the headed goal was lovely. 8.5

Meier - very short of a gallop. Some nice touches but real hard to tell after that lacklustre performance. 5.5

Grozos - finding his feet but had a good run. 7

Adam - changed the game when he came on. Mostly due to his style of play. His runs in behind opened the game (pushed the defense back) and gave us space. Backs himself, beats a man and completes his pass. 8.5

Referee - best in a long time. Hopefully teaches the rest how to keep the whistle out of your mouth, it's not netball. 9

VAR N/R

14 minutes ago, matty said:

Lopar - overall very good, great reaction saves as usual but a little suspect on a couple of punches - 8

Wilmering - excellent. This kid has class and poise, one of the best for us. 8.5

Jurman - very good. He's got a fiesty attitude and reads the game well. He's strong, tall and left footed. Hope to see him take the lead more as the season goes on. 7.5

Tass - very good for a youngster. I think he suffers at the moment, playing next to McGowan. 7.5

McGowan - not great. He's a bit off the pace and seems to have lost a bit of skill or something. At times he almost seems lost. A worry. 5.5

Elrich - did fine for the short time he was on the pitch. Tough for a veteran to play wing back at a pinch, did it willingly. 7

Georgevski - hot and cold. Good aggression but needs to focus it better. Seemed a bit lazy at times and maybe a bit cranky or disinterested. Hopefully attitude improves. Yellow card tackle was correct call from ref. 6.5

Baccus - not his best outing but looked better once Silvera came on for ccm. 7

Schwegler - class, our rock. God I hope he plays every game or we're in trouble. Hope he gets more vocal and takes command verbally. 8.5

Sullivan - was a bit of a stretch for the kid but had some good moments. Probably not a season long solution. 6.5

Duke - gives his all non-stop, leads well by example but wasn't at his best. Having said that, he scored two and the headed goal was lovely. 8.5

Meier - very short of a gallop. Some nice touches but real hard to tell after that lacklustre performance. 5.5

Grozos - finding his feet but had a good run. 7

Adam - changed the game when he came on. Mostly due to his style of play. His runs in behind opened the game (pushed the defense back) and gave us space. Backs himself, beats a man and completes his pass. 8.5

Referee - best in a long time. Hopefully teaches the rest how to keep the whistle out of your mouth, it's not netball. 9

VAR N/R

Re Georgevski and being lazy at times. I didn't notice anything till late on soon realised he seemed to have a groin problem.

There's a post elsewhere saying we have 2 more injuries,  if so I'm expecting Georgevski to be one of them.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic