Jump to content
mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, WHACKO said:
Western Sydney Wanderers FCan hr ago
  •  
  •  
  •  

Western Sydney Wanderers FC are proud to announce the signing of experienced Irish striker Simon Cox until the end of the Hyundai A-League 2020/21 season.

Cox has played over 500 games in England’s Championship, League One and cup competitions scoring 134 goals.

A powerful centre-forward, Cox has played for Reading, Bristol City, West Brom, Nottingham Forest and most recently Southend United.

A player who provides goals and link-up play, Cox has been the top scorer for Southend United for the past three seasons scoring 45 goals and 26 assists in 172 games for the club.

The 32-year-old has 30 Irish international caps to his name since his national team debut in 2011, scoring four goals.

Cox said he was looking forward to a big challenge with the Red & Black.

“I’m really looking forward to it, I’ve never been to Australia so I’m looking forward to come over and score some goals, that’s what I’m there to do, and that’s what I’ve been doing most my career. I’m expecting a big challenge,” said Cox.

“I spoke to Adam Le Fondre (Sydney FC striker) this morning and he said great things about the league and the Wanderers set-up. I spoke to Radi (Radoslaw Majewski) as well, who I played with at Nottingham Forest, and he said really good thing about club too so I am really looking forward to arriving and getting started.

“I’m expecting it to be tough, you’ve got to get acclimatised which can be tough but I am looking forward to the challenge. As someone who’s played at the top level I’m not taking anything for granted and I’m looking forward to every challenge that comes my way in the A-League.

“It’s an honour to come and play for the club and I hope that we can build something together as a club, looking forward to playing in front of what I’ve been told is the best fans in the A-League and I hope that we have some good times ahead,” finished Cox.

Cox arrives in Australia on Sunday prior to the Wanderers double header against Perth Glory at Bankwest Stadium.

For some reason I like him. He seems very humble and passionate. I'm sure he is used to playing for clubs which are s*** if he has just come from Southend United :meep:

We have seen quite a few unknown strikers from overseas come to the A-League and tear it up.

Step forth, Simon BLOODY Cox!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

You can't drop a comment like that and not follow it up.

I heard someone else won't be here much longer either, we all thought he'd get to the end of the season but may go sooner.....

Not the Parklea Messi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

You can't drop a comment like that and not follow it up.

I heard someone else won't be here much longer either, we all thought he'd get to the end of the season but may go sooner.....

Taurus did all the time. 

Seriously though I just said it because I think its true.

I mean why tf would Babbel who has only gone for players around Germany, Switzerland (and an injured Pol) suddenly go for a random English striker from SOUTHEND UNITED.
 

Seems very strange to me and makes me feel someone else might be making these signings, a new manager.

(Monday after losing 3-0 to Glory)

WE WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE THE APPOINTMENT OF SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Taurus did all the time. 

Seriously though I just said it because I think its true.

I mean why tf would Babbel who has only gone for players around Germany, Switzerland (and an injured Pol) suddenly go for a random English striker from SOUTHEND UNITED.
 

Seems very strange to me and makes me feel someone else might be making these signings, a new manager.

(Monday after losing 3-0 to Glory)

WE WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE THE APPOINTMENT OF SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON

Yes Erickson is a big fan of southend utd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok' let's get this sorted out from the outset. If Cox is banging the goals in on a regular basis then he's Irish.

However, should he be a total dud and can't hit a barn door from 5 meters then he's a "useless Pommy bastard"

Good, that's settled then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Yes Erickson is a big fan of southend utd 

Dream big and be left disappointed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon Cox: Southend United striker leaves club by mutual consent

 

 

  • Simon Cox was named Southend United player of the season with 17 goals last season

Southend United striker Simon Cox has left the club after terminating his contract by mutual consent.

Cox, 32, spent three and a half years at Roots Hall after joining on a free transfer from Reading.

"The pleasure was all mine. Good luck for the future - I'll be back at Roots Hall one day," Cox said on Twitter.

 

The Republic of Ireland international has joined Western Sydney Wanderers in Australia's A League on a deal until the end of next season.

His previous clubs also include Swindon, West Brom and Nottingham Forest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

Simon Cox: Southend United striker leaves club by mutual consent

 

 

  • Simon Cox was named Southend United player of the season with 17 goals last season

Southend United striker Simon Cox has left the club after terminating his contract by mutual consent.

Cox, 32, spent three and a half years at Roots Hall after joining on a free transfer from Reading.

"The pleasure was all mine. Good luck for the future - I'll be back at Roots Hall one day," Cox said on Twitter.

 

The Republic of Ireland international has joined Western Sydney Wanderers in Australia's A League on a deal until the end of next season.

His previous clubs also include Swindon, West Brom and Nottingham Forest.

 

I went to the same website. Apparently their chairman is promising to pay the players tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wtf kind of signing is that? 32 year old international striker who scored 3 from 19 this season in a lower league than A league and we are signing for at least 1.5 seasons!?!
If fusballgod is really gone then wouldn't we have marquee wages to throw at someone that stands a chance of turning our season around. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jan window is still open for another 2 weeks. We're likely to try release Vedran as well (to Macarthur?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a pretty mediocre team in the antipodes I think it’s reasonable that we sign a striker who has had a solid, if unspectacular, playing career in the journeyman (or is it now journeyperson? No, that doesn’t work, does it) leagues of England. At 32 he still has something to prove and it appears he’s under no illusions as to what the playing conditions will be like, so I’m choosing to be mildly optimistic and I think he’ll be an OK addition to the squad. It’s not like he can be any worse than any of our other foreign strikers, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it pretty funny that we are looking down on league 1 players now.

Most teams from there would wipe the floor with us.

Cox is a good player, works hard and I remember him being pretty good at swindon when leeds were in league 1 back then as well. More skilful than keogh but not as physical.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jefski said:

Don't you start too.

ach beidh muid chun an tsraith a bhuachan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

I find it pretty funny that we are looking down on league 1 players now.

Most teams from there would wipe the floor with us.

Cox is a good player, works hard and I remember him being pretty good at swindon when leeds were in league 1 back then as well. More skilful than keogh but not as physical.

 

Ever since he came to our club about 4 hours ago I have backed him. He will be an icon of the club. The greatest player of the A-League. We have just bought the A-League title by getting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dcrow said:

ach beidh muid chun an tsraith a bhuachan

I just hope you're right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have preferred Babbel sign a CAM as we have been crying out for creativity from central positions. Does this mean that Babbel is going to continue to waste Muller in this position? I still believe that Duke is a pretty good option to lead the line so not sure about why we went for another striker.

I’m willing to give the Cox a chance though. His statistics don’t look great, but then again, both Berisha and Fornaroli had pretty ordinary stats (admittedly at arguably higher levels) before coming to our glorious league and they’ve done okay. If Cox actually touches a ball, looks like he wants to be here and moves faster than your average geriatric snail, he will be an improvement on Meier.

Edited by Dugongs
Need to learn how to spell and use grammar properly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/wanderers-marquee-striker-alex-meier-shown-the-door-20200116-p53s3s.html

Meier Gooooone

@liv you can stert trusting your friend/source again. Seems like they were bang on.

I'll call off the lynch mob :)

Never doubted him for a second😜. Apparently they decided to wait for the Cox announcement to be made first. The club haven’t officially confirmed Meier has gone though have they? Not sure what they’re waiting for. Anyway Good luck to the new guy. Time will tell which is better, Cox or God🤭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Ever since he came to our club about 4 hours ago I have backed him. He will be an icon of the club. The greatest player of the A-League. We have just bought the A-League title by getting him.

What you have written there is just as ridiculous as saying 'He is from league one, he must be ****.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

I find it pretty funny that we are looking down on league 1 players now.

Most teams from there would wipe the floor with us.

Cox is a good player, works hard and I remember him being pretty good at swindon when leeds were in league 1 back then as well. More skilful than keogh but not as physical.

 

If only there was a common scale that we could use to judge the ability of players worldwide, across borders and leagues, that was sanctioned by the world governing body enough to let it use their name

A FIFA rating, perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We needed a number 10 first and foremost. Billy Idol had a song " Eyes Without a Face " , our theme song is " Team Without a Midfield".

We had Baumjohann who got slagged on here , but was not properly managed in his role  and was allowed to leave  or was given the arse.  Now he is setting up goals for LeFondre ( two against Western United ).

We could have a fit Harry Kane up front and he wouldn't score because there is NO SERVICE.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

What you have written there is just as ridiculous as saying 'He is from league one, he must be ****.'

Lol hes clearly takin the piss 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Liv said:

Never doubted him for a second😜. Apparently they decided to wait for the Cox announcement to be made first. The club haven’t officially confirmed Meier has gone though have they? Not sure what they’re waiting for. Anyway Good luck to the new guy. Time will tell which is better, Cox or God🤭

If that's true it's pretty poor form as far as I'm concerned.

Announcing a  new signing which too all intents and purposes means an existing visa player has to go. Should have been done the other way around, unless Zeigler's citizenship has come through which would excuse the omission.

Something doesn't seem right to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

If only there was a common scale that we could use to judge the ability of players worldwide, across borders and leagues, that was sanctioned by the world governing body enough to let it use their name

A FIFA rating, perhaps?

Is that the database that gives Meier and Le Fondre the same rating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad signing. If you've ever watched Ashley Barnes for Burnley play he is in that mould. Like others have said though it does not exactly balance our squad out. Duke is a more then capable striker, and certainly a better one then he is a winger. But Cox (should, i **** i hope he does!) bring some proper centre forward know how, smarts and yes... goals. 

I can bang on about it till the cows come home but it is still essential we start playing players in natural positions. MULLER TO THE WING!!!

O'doherty could not return any sooner, he can fill that AMC role. But I would much rather ditch the AMC role in favour of Schwegler at DM and BACCUS with Sullivan/O'Doherty ahead of him. Muller's creativity and goals would come to the fore more so from the wing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...