mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

4 minutes ago, leslie said:

Apparently Cox arrives on Sunday, plenty of time to get gear sorted and make a cameo off the bench in the evening. Tell him he can have a sleep in on Monday. Welcome to Western Sydney son.

What happens if Dukes plays up front and scores a hat trick? Lol

They could ask him to play, then it depends on what Simon says.

I'll leave now ..

9 minutes ago, leslie said:

Apparently Cox arrives on Sunday, plenty of time to get gear sorted and make a cameo off the bench in the evening. Tell him he can have a sleep in on Monday. Welcome to Western Sydney son.

Especially with the bye the week after.

24 minutes ago, leslie said:

Whats the cooling off period.

Babbel interview said we were after him last season, great signing but still no 10 to service and babs still not starting sulivan so not expecting much to change 

4 hours ago, Beer said:

Just out of curiosity, who is, in your opinion, our worst signing? 

Ward

Anyone else been thinking to themselves “uh uh uh Cox” in a Beavis and Butthead voice 

Babbel changed formation to suit Meier. With Cox in, and a player babbel supposedly wanted previously but couldn’t get in, I wonder if babbel now returns to his original 352 formation we saw against Leeds and All pre season. 

1 hour ago, Frankos187 said:

Babbel changed formation to suit Meier. With Cox in, and a player babbel supposedly wanted previously but couldn’t get in, I wonder if babbel now returns to his original 352 formation we saw against Leeds and All pre season. 

Given Kamau is fit again, we might. Without Kamau I can’t see who the Right Wing Back is 

Russell has had a bit of a rough time lately but I wonder whether he’d be more comfortable as a wingback? He’s got a good motor, likes to go forward and may be a bit happier with an extra CB to cover.

20 minutes ago, Davo said:

Russell has had a bit of a rough time lately but I wonder whether he’d be more comfortable as a wingback? He’s got a good motor, likes to go forward and may be a bit happier with an extra CB to cover.

He's not ready yet, and doesn't give us enough going forward

Babbel signed Georgevski to play LWB, I can only see and based on pre-season that he had Kamau in mind for RWB. 

Sad to see Meier go out like this, so embarrassing.. I just noticed it is his birthday today. I feel like he could have worked if we were set up correctly.  
After one of the games I saw him on an exercise bike 45 mins after the game. I don't know if it was to build match fitness or to cool down slowly but it made me feel like he was giving it everything.

3 minutes ago, Jungle said:

Sad to see Meier go out like this, so embarrassing.. I just noticed it is his birthday today. I feel like he could have worked if we were set up correctly.  
After one of the games I saw him on an exercise bike 45 mins after the game. I don't know if it was to build match fitness or to cool down slowly but it made me feel like he was giving it everything.

Babbel hinted that it was more than football that was a problem....Sydney has not been a pleasant place to live with all the smoke/heat....etc....took it's toll maybe.

22 hours ago, Davo said:

Matt Sim and Ryan Griffiths spring to mind.

I would argue there is a difference between worst players and worst signings. The difference lies in the fans expectations and the amount of money the player receives.

Sim, Griffiths, Adeleke, etc were all trash players, but I doubt anyone on the forum was overly excited by their signing. They were probably on peanuts which reflects their garbage ability.

I definitely agree Meier is our worst ever signing. Go back to when he was first announced and have a look at the comments. Most on the forum, whilst hesitant of his age, were wrapped up in “FussballGod” hysteria. There was basically (with a few exceptions) a consensus that Meier would be the 20 plus goal scorer we had been lacking and that the title was now ours. Add in to the fact that he was on Marquee wages and you have the ingredients for worst ever signing.

Other candidates for worst marquee: Cejudo, Pio, in my opinion are nowhere close to the utter disappointment and **** that Meier served up on a weekly basis. I have never felt more frustrated at watching a player with a supposed top pedigree amble around the pitch looking like he didn’t give a ****. I don’t particularly like when a paid employee takes the piss out of my club.

The blame for Meier’s failure should be directed at both Meier and Babbel. Meier for looking disinterested and making no attempt to involve himself in the play. Babbel on the other hand, signed a 36 year old player who had a patchy recent record and had no preseason and expected him to perform in the Australian summer. It stunk of a panic buy and goes down as another waste of money which this club is becoming increasingly known for.

Edited by Dugongs

10 hours ago, Jungle said:

What’s embarrassing is the club losing money for another failed signing. To be fair Meier should be embarrassed by his performance.

Riding about a bit on an exercise bike (which was probably part of his strength and conditioning plan) does not equate to “giving it everything.” Giving it everything is standing up and taking responsibility on the pitch- involving yourself in the play. It is not constantly pointing to another a player when the ball looks like it’s coming to you.

Worst signing?

Well it can’t be an Aussie as you can sign another one. Has to be a visa player as there are limited spots and you gotta get them right.

So I’d go for Aritz Borda.

At least Meier looked like he could play, and you could see the touch and class. It was just too much for him to come to a new country, play in heat etc at his age. But it COULD have worked.

But Borda, my god, that guy fell over his own two feet coming out the dressing shed, never mind trying to pin down Ninkovic. Was so clumsy he ended up on his backside more often than not and when he did eventually get his foot on the ball he inevitably sent it into the stands when trying to get it upfield. Remember when they spelt his name wrong and we thought they might have got the wrong guy?

So whilst in hindsight the Meier signing was bad, at the time it was worth the punt. Whoever scouted Borda should be barred from football for life. 

9 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Anyway, #coxin

(surely that one’s been done already yeah?)

You too eh? :lol:

26 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Worst signing?

Well it can’t be an Aussie as you can sign another one. Has to be a visa player as there are limited spots and you gotta get them right.

At least Meier looked like he could play, and you could see the touch and class. It was just too much for him to come to a new country, play in heat etc at his age. But it COULD have worked.

But Borda, my god, that guy fell over his own two feet coming out the dressing shed, never mind trying to pin down Ninkovic. Was so clumsy he ended up on his backside more often than not and when he did eventually get his foot on the ball he inevitably sent it into the stands when trying to get it upfield. Remember when they spelt his name wrong and we thought they might have got the wrong guy?

So whilst in hindsight the Meier signing was bad, at the time it was worth the punt. Whoever scouted Borda should be barred from football for life. 

Adeleke surely..the guy didnt know which way to run on the pitch!

Lia gone from Adelaide

Vince Lia , would fit in for the rest of the season , not a bad player at his best but maybe a little long in the tooth ,  a fresh start may rejuvenate him till season end  

Vince Lia has just exited Adelaide. Should we sign him till the end of the season?

5 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Lia gone from Adelaide

Vince Lia , would fit in for the rest of the season , not a bad player at his best but maybe a little long in the tooth ,  a fresh start may rejuvenate him till season end  

Jesus Christ we are getting desperate what’s Nick Kalmar doing might as well

11 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Vince Lia has just exited Adelaide. Should we sign him till the end of the season?

No 

39 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

There’s nothing quite like some childish humour Wendy! 

Absolutely,  and I've giggled my way through it all!

Hopefully Simon Cox doesn't check us out, tho...although I guess he'd have heard it all before.:pardon:

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Absolutely,  and I've giggled my way through it all!

Hopefully Simon Cox doesn't check us out, tho...although I guess he'd have heard it all before.:pardon:

So you're saying we should wait to hear what Simon says?

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Worst signing?

I disagree. 

Worst signing, as opposed to worst player signed, is Redmayne.

He was clearly the worst keeper in the a league and we signed him up as a starter! And keeper is the one position you can't compensate for with other players or tactics. If he's shiit there's nothing you can do and it affects the whole team.

With the foreign signings there is the excuse that you're not sure what you'll get.

There is no such excuse for signing someone they'd seen (not) perform for a few years.

Ergo, worst signing is Redmayne.

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

I disagree. 

Worst signing, as opposed to worst player signed, is Redmayne.

He was clearly the worst keeper in the a league and we signed him up as a starter! And keeper is the one position you can't compensate for with other players or tactics. If he's shiit there's nothing you can do and it affects the whole team.

With the foreign signings there is the excuse that you're not sure what you'll get.

There is no such excuse for signing someone they'd seen (not) perform for a few years.

Ergo, worst signing is Redmayne.

Bulut Mk II is up there 

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

Bulut Mk II is up there 

I considered him but his impending failures were less obvious and his positives, if brought to the fore, were tempting.