Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

9 minutes ago, Taurus said:

The club put out an article just after the Gold Coast pre-season camp, which quoted MB & detailed that the selection process was a popular vote. Given our squad was still being assembled & whilst MB may not have owned the decision, he may not have thought it appropriate to override the wishes of the playing group. That in hindsight, was a mistake on his part.

In regard to the other comments in your post re Para 2, apparently I'm referred to as the Riddler by some members on here. My bio says it all  "My posts are subject to interpretation"

Boooo!

:sad:

51 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Also, our supposed on field leader (selected by popular vote) has been lethargic & in poor form since the opening rounds. Four yes 4 decisive goals have been scored against us, either in open play or at set pieces, by his direct opponent, in recent games

From my view in the stands, I have said that Duke is carrying an injury. He is not running freely and should have been gassed on a number of occassions.

16 minutes ago, Taurus said:

The club put out an article just after the Gold Coast pre-season camp, which quoted MB & detailed that the selection process was a popular vote. Given our squad was still being assembled & whilst MB may not have owned the decision, he may not have thought it appropriate to override the wishes of the playing group. That in hindsight, was a mistake on his part.

In regard to the other comments in your post re Para 2, apparently I'm referred to as the Riddler by some members on here. My bio says it all  "My posts are subject to interpretation"

The problem could be that Taurus is the "Bull ".

28 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

From my view in the stands, I have said that Duke is carrying an injury. He is not running freely and should have been gassed on a number of occassions.

An niggling injury would prevent you from not tracking back, or being 20+ metres from your direct opponent v's Heart?

Or not challenging for a header from a set piece & allowing Neville of all people to have a free header at the back stick?

16 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

You sure it’s not a left wing conspiracy with Greta Thunberg in control? 

Germ of an idea there Mr Stringer make Greta Thunberg the new Wanderers coach !. She claims to know everything at her young age,t We would  win the spoon but imagine the reduction in emissions - make the players walk to and from training. Leave the lights off at matches at Bankwest , at least we wouldn't see the team lose

.List is endless.

10 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Germ of an idea there Mr Stringer make Greta Thunberg the new Wanderers coach !. She claims to know everything at her young age,t We would  win the spoon but imagine the reduction in emissions - make the players walk to and from training. Leave the lights off at matches at Bankwest , at least we wouldn't see the team lose

.List is endless.

Alternatively we could use points from a previous season to argue that we are meeting our targets

1 hour ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

I didn't hear Babbel deflecting or blaming others in the interview.  He was answering questions on the league.  He took responsibility in various places.  HIs dig at 'Bossi' was fair play really.

I didn't see a problem with his video thanking people at the club - it was sincere and genuine.  He expressed gratitude and was sorry it didn't work out.  He said there and elsewhere it was on him as manager. 

When asked what went wrong, he and others have indicated several things that worked against the team, but in the final analysis, he took the fall, as he should and expected to.  When asked about his experience it was positive and he loved being here.  Was it easy?  NO - for many reasons.  Were there regrets?  Yes - that he couldn't get the best out of the team but not that he came.  Was the experience of the A League easy?  No - it is a difficult transition - playing in heat, training and playing in the worst summer conditions ever (and he expressed concern for those in the fires and spoke of Climate Change and the need to do something), the refereeing that he never really came to grips with in terms of understanding the lack of consistency in decisions (it was a lottery), and the standard of the league was sometimes hard to adjust to.  Obviously Babbel had higher expectations of the players and that wasn't borne out.  He didn't blame them but hoped that they could now go on and reach their potential.  He also indicated that he learned that developing youth was very rewarding, part of his role but using so many is not a formula for success at this point in our history. Nothing new in any of that.  He could ahve come to the forum and learned this.

Over his time here, Babbel has made a lot of comments on the progress of young players and how they need to be developed if they want to make it in Europe.  I suspect that most of them are ignored but I suspect his words should be heeded.  I hope Baccus listens but I suspect he won't.

Do you write for a living BFTW?

Your summaries are fantastic!  :good:

:) :)

Now, back to the subject, with the transfer window almost closed, am I correct in assuming that Cox is and will be our only mid season acquisition? With Maier and Elrich gone, that still leaves us with a vacant position. 

Edited by Jefski
Spelling error
6 hours ago, Jefski said:

Now, back to the subject, with the transfer window almost closed, am I correct in assuming that Cox is and will be our only mid season acquisition? With Maier and Elrich gone, that still leaves us with a vacant position. 

Looks like it.

Probably reluctant to give JP the cheque book. Plus we can roll over a large portion of any unused cap to next year or use it to help front load a renewal or two. 

9 hours ago, Jefski said:

Currently we have at least 3 vacant senior positions. The club didn’t fill any of them before so I can’t imagine they’ll start now.

The fact that we only have one Fullback is a glaring issue

Training today,

Everybody seems fit to play apart from Baccus who came out of the shed about 45 minutes after training started and did not participate in any way, Mourdoukoutas was actively involved in  training.

Seems a lot more emphasis on fitness  and ball movement, there was a lot more noise than I have heard in the past from the players and they all appeared to be very happy as a group.

The same goes for the coaches, a lot more involvement a lot more loud driving of players than I have seen in the past with Haliti and JP involved in the each session    

The training game seem to be split with first team and reserves , Cox was on the reserve team and played up on the line , but did go looking for the ball, Cox is a stocky fella who seems to struggle to fit into the training shirts and shorts his leg and chest muscles are big.  He looks fit.

All and All they seemed a happy group.

Spent an extra long weekend down at Batemans Bay , it is very quiet,  pubs are empty hotels empty and restaurants struggling , not a lot of smiling going on down there.

11 hours ago, Jefski said:

I’m still struggling to see why we signed Cox at all, let alone on a two year deal right before MB was sacked... 

Considering how hard it is for a new manager to get ‘his own team’ with the salary cap locking everything up, we should be keeping it free as possible until a new manager is hired.

• mack locked, unlocked, locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic