Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

Just now, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Interesting to see JP is already in talks about squad development for next year. Seems strange to try and sign off contract players when we don't even have a manager yet. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/de-marigny-s-focus-on-mariners-clash-not-securing-top-job-at-wanderers-20200131-p53wko.html

Plz, don't add a link, copy & paste the article. 

I ain't paying for that shite  

Just now, Taurus said:

Plz, don't add a link, copy & paste the article. 

I ain't paying for that shite  

Its free unless u have used all your monthly article views like I have. A trick that I use to get past the paywall is load the article and click the x before it fully loads and then you can read it without having to pay.

Here it is (also Bossi Alert): 

Western Sydney Wanderers caretaker coach Jean-Paul de Marigny says he is not focusing on trying to make the job permanent, instead putting all his attention into changing the team's morale and fortunes.

De Marigny oversees his first game in charge on Sunday, away to Central Coast Mariners, after replacing Markus Babbel who was sacked last week. De Marigny confirmed he had been involved in the club's recruitment plans for next season but said his focus was only on kick-starting the Wanderers' season with a result against the Mariners.

"I look at it as a short-term opportunity for us, reset and be positive with what we do. One game at a time, one training at a time," he said.

De Marigny said there won't be significant changes to the Wanderers' style of play, making only a few tactical adjustments. Instead, he said the biggest issue he had to address was fixing the players' mentality and trying to restore confidence. "It was all about our mindset, we worked a lot on our mindset and we tweaked a couple of things in terms of tactically, so the boys have responded really well, they're in a good space and they have enjoyed the couple of weeks," he said. "Being positive is important, collectively to do things together. Communication is important, and just tactically we have changed a few things but nothing too drastically ... it is all about communication for us and knowing what our roles are."

Like most A-League clubs, the Wanderers have started looking to sign off-contract players for next season, although they still have to decide on a permanent coach. De Marigny is a candidate for the top job and has been involved in the player-recruitment process.

"We have been involved in certain ways within my job description. At the moment it’s something that we are always looking to better the squad. We will decide when this process starts," he said. "I have always been involved [in transfers] in one way or the other, as an assistant coach. If there’s a player who can help us, I will always be actively involved."

Babbel spoke to German media during the week, lashing out at the standard of the A-League and the quality of Australian football after winning just 10 games in 41 attempts.

"Markus is not shy about putting his opinion forward and everyone has got the right to have an opinion of where it’s at," de Marigny said. "The A-League has been tremendous for us [Australia]. The national league was good but the A-League has taken it to the next level. A couple of points that he makes is something we need to seriously think about. All in all, the A-League is very good."

24 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Interesting to see JP is already in talks about squad development for next year. Seems strange to try and sign off contract players when we don't even have a manager yet. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/de-marigny-s-focus-on-mariners-clash-not-securing-top-job-at-wanderers-20200131-p53wko.html

If we don’t sign up good players as they come up we will be left with the dross. Which fits with MBs point about the foreign player cap meets you have average aussie players on their 5th club, it’s a very small market 

on game tonight they where saying sydney have 20 players signed for next year already, we are so far behind it’s depressing 

interesting isn’t the article JP didn’t exactly defend MB comments, in fact he contradicts them

18 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

on game tonight they where saying sydney have 20 players signed for next year already,

Sydney already have their coach locked in for the next few years, they can plan for the future. In fact I’d say it’s irresponsible if we had locked down 20/23 of our squad for next season without knowing our coach.

28 minutes ago, hughsey said:

So basically we’re gonna keep playing the exact way we have been is what I take from that article. 

This debacle just rolls on...

We’ll find out tomorrow 

If he turns us round he should get the gig if he doesn’t, well he doesn’t 

at least we won’t get the tiresome  “give him his own squad” argument 

13 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

If we don’t sign up good players as they come up we will be left with the dross. Which fits with MBs point about the foreign player cap meets you have average aussie players on their 5th club, it’s a very small market 

on game tonight they where saying sydney have 20 players signed for next year already, we are so far behind it’s depressing 

interesting isn’t the article JP didn’t exactly defend MB comments, in fact he contradicts them

This

Best news in this article it that they are looking to re-sign players. Pool of quality aussies' is not very deep. 
I'd love to see a few re-signs soon.  

48 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

No, no. JPM will be up off his bench flapping his arms around. It will make all the difference...

Dude... It's called the butterfly effect! JPM will flap his hands and instead of hitting the top of the crossbar it'll hit the bottom due to the most sensitive change in airflow and go in. Problem fixed.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

I don't know why we even give this oxygen thief the time of day let alone a plug/hit to read his crap. As soon as I see his name on the article, I stop reading.

6 hours ago, Jefski said:

I don't know why we even give this oxygen thief the time of day let alone a plug/hit to read his crap. As soon as I see his name on the article, I stop reading.

I know, but I read the article and thought it was worth posting since it was a direct interview with Cox.

52 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Is Cox just a big lad or is he unfit?  Tatts look good tho!  Also did like his composure, hopefully will rub off our lads if he doesn't contract WSW disease after a few rounds...

Cox will have prepared for a 50+ game season in one of the most physical competitions in the world in a place where loads of games would be played between 15 and 0 degrees, rain and sleet.

Very big difference in the body shape required to here. 

52 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Hope Muller is someone we're looking at extending. And unless Yeboah starts showing something soon, we need to find a new club for him.

Some volunteered to drive him to Campbelltown. Forget who said that

I remembered Yeboah at the Roar being exciting young player who is lightening quick and very quick on his feet and scored some real stunners before he moved to Germany, now he's come back to the league and he has regressed 10 folds and dropped to the levels of Appiah-Kubi, its like he has forgotten how to play football.

Edited by SBW
  • mack locked, unlocked, locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic