Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

The curious case of Kwame Yeboah - I can’t recall seeing a footballer undergo such a rapid capitulation in basic ball skills over such a short space of time. There’s times in a game where he’s flat out running with a ball at his feet...

That’s what scares me about letting him go. If he goes to McArthur, he’ll pull a sotirio and start to improve, except Yeboah ability ceiling is a lot higher than Sotirio.

The thing to remember is that Yeboah was in a very capable BR team. He benefited from that. He went to Germany where he slid backwards rapidly to being frozen out of 3rd division teams. 
Id say he came here with a high level of confidence last year thinking he would go back to dominating **** defenders and now he’s feeling pretty down trodden. His ability has gone backwards with it

33 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

That’s what scares me about letting him go. If he goes to McArthur, he’ll pull a sotirio and start to improve, except Yeboah ability ceiling is a lot higher than Sotirio.

The thing to remember is that Yeboah was in a very capable BR team. He benefited from that. He went to Germany where he slid backwards rapidly to being frozen out of 3rd division teams. 
Id say he came here with a high level of confidence last year thinking he would go back to dominating **** defenders and now he’s feeling pretty down trodden. His ability has gone backwards with it

Yeboah started 6 games for roar 5 years ago so hard to tell if he’s improved or not .

Personally I’d rather have Sotirio . 

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

The curious case of Kwame Yeboah - I can’t recall seeing a footballer undergo such a rapid capitulation in basic ball skills over such a short space of time. There’s times in a game where he’s flat out running with a ball at his feet...

1 hour ago, SBW said:

I remembered Yeboah at the Roar being exciting young player who is lightening quick and very quick on his feet and scored some real stunners before he moved to Germany, now he's come back to the league and he has regressed 10 folds and dropped to the levels of Appiah-Kubi, its like he has forgotten how to play football.

Feels like loads of Australian players come into the A League score a few in their first season then don't progress. See also Kamau, Bruce.

44 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Feels like loads of Australian players come into the A League score a few in their first season then don't progress. See also Kamau, Bruce.

Yeah, one was a real heartbreaker too.

23 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I don't see Kwame being a force anywhere else.

Honeslty the guy needs to take stock on his career, see his limitations and look at what basics he has and focus on improving that. He is potentially a great athlete, but currently has no speed or sharpness. A comparison that comes to mind is the resurgence of Wolve's Adama Traore. IMO Kwame needs to go home, do a million squats, become a speed demon and take his game from there.

Edited by DeeDee
1 hour ago, DeeDee said:

Honeslty the guy needs to take stock on his career, see his limitations and look at what basics he has and focus on improving that. He is potentially a great athlete, but currently has no speed or sharpness. A comparison that comes to mind is the resurgence of Wolve's Adama Traore. IMO Kwame needs to go home, do a million squats, become a speed demon and take his game from there.

I was thinking the same the Kwame were seeing now is so far from the Kwame we saw last season and in pre-season he just needs to get back to basics and get his confidence back. Its been frustrating because I am big fan of his but his just not in the game at the moment

2 hours ago, DeeDee said:

I think his biggest issue is lack of size/bulk. He's a handy player but gets pushed off the ball too easily. Good example was in the dying minutes of the CCM match when Duric won the ball off him in the box.

5 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/ki-sung-yueng-departs/

Ex captain of South Korea (31) released by the barcodes, thoughts?

Sell Baccus, re-sign Schwegler, sign up Ki Sung Yueng as a marquee.

I reckon if we can grab a good AM we would have an incredible midfield. 

Foreigns: Lopar, KI Sung Yueng, Schwegler, Muller, Cox.

The issue is we would have a full defence (apart from goalie) of Aussie players who may not be able to keep up with the best teams. Although SFC has a full Aussie defence and look at where they are at so maybe it could work?

Just now, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Sell Baccus, re-sign Schwegler, sign up Ki Sung Yueng as a marquee.

I reckon if we can grab a good AM we would have an incredible midfield. 

Foreigns: Lopar, KI Sung Yueng, Schwegler, Muller, Cox.

The issue is we would have a full defence (apart from goalie) of Aussie players who may not be able to keep up with the best teams. Although SFC has a full Aussie defence and look at where they are at so maybe it could work?

Still have 'German' Pat who is yet to become Aussie Pat even if we could afford him

14 minutes ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Still have 'German' Pat who is yet to become Aussie Pat even if we could afford him

If he does become Aussie, keep him, if not, give him to Macarthur or terminate him by "mutual consent'. He wasn't too bad against Mariners but thats one team out of 10. 

Also would Ki Sung Yueng count as a non-foreign player? I've read somewhere he was in Brisbane or something for a number of years or something like that. Highly unlikely but i'm sure i've seen it somewhere.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST
6 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

If he does become Aussie, keep him, if not, give him to Macarthur or terminate him by "mutual consent'. He wasn't too bad against Mariners but thats one team out of 10. 

Also would Ki Sung Yueng count as a non-foreign player? I've read somewhere he was in Brisbane or something for a number of years or something like that. Highly unlikely but i'm sure i've seen it somewhere.

Probably thinking of the below article.. though I don't think "being a little bit Australian"will quite cut it

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-ki-return-for-free-is-as-good-as-a-league-signings-get

I wouldn't keep Ziegler even if he did become an Aussie. Much rather see Sullivan starting.

Likewise with Jurman, would rather see Tass out there developing into the great CB I think he will become.

4 minutes ago, hughsey said:

I wouldn't keep Ziegler even if he did become an Aussie. Much rather see Sullivan starting.

Likewise with Jurman, would rather see Tass out there developing into the great CB I think he will become.

Jurman hasn't looked committed from the outset, which has been a big disappointment for me. I thought he had a good balance of hot-headed mongrel and skills - probably still does but doesn't look happy.

2 hours ago, wswtragic said:

Jurman hasn't looked committed from the outset, which has been a big disappointment for me. I thought he had a good balance of hot-headed mongrel and skills - probably still does but doesn't look happy.

For me he wanted to play at SFC and would play there in a heartbeat if it was possible.  Only playing with us as there was probably very few other options. 

Must be the Drake curse from when he wore his jersey while performing lol

In all seriousness, agree with above that he looks like he would rather be elsewhere. As much as he probably wanted to go to Sydney, he also strikes me as one of those blokes who’d go OS in a heartbeat no matter where it was. Spira-esque

13 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Re Matt Jurman

First few matches he looked committed and played well.  Then he was out injured for a few weeks. Hasn't looked as good since then.

He certainly didn't look comfortable with "Recycle" Wilmering in front of him. Hope he gets inspired this weekend.

18 hours ago, hughsey said:

Must be the Drake curse from when he wore his jersey while performing lol

In all seriousness, agree with above that he looks like he would rather be elsewhere. As much as he probably wanted to go to Sydney, he also strikes me as one of those blokes who’d go OS in a heartbeat no matter where it was. Spira-esque

That was Jason DeRulo

• mack locked, unlocked, locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic