Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

Melbourne City are a tax/fair play write-off for City Football Group so they don't care about the wages, and SFC is owned by a Russian oligarch who figures a couple months of wages is fine in exchange for another two trophies by not pissing off his A-League leading players.

We're owned by a billionaire "football is a business" tightass with abysmal football knowledge and three background owners who might as well not exist.

28 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Great isn’t it we put ourselves in with Jets and Mariners 

I would suggest that the owners of ESFC and MCFG are significantly more wealthy than the owners of our club. Those two clubs will survive regardless and can carry small fry losses.

We are living through times none of us have ever experienced before (except maybe Ed who has lived through a couple of World Wars :) )

I'd prefer our owners to be prudent with their spending to ensure our club survives. If that lumps us with the Charlesworth's from the Mariners of this world, so be it.

If and when the A-League starts up, I'd like to be there wearing my Season 2 jersey knowing I still have a club I passionately support.

Everyone is taking a hit through this Covid-19 shemozzle. Why should normally generously paid professional footballers be any different?

Edited by Wanderboy
On 01/04/2020 at 11:51 PM, wswnick said:

Both SFC and City have said they'll cover player wages till end of May

Not only will they do that, in someway I am sure they will capitalise (or try to) on the misfortune of other clubs or situations. They are both nasty clubs. 

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

Everyone is taking a hit through this Covid-19 shemozzle. Why should normally generously paid professional footballers be any different?

I think it’s about perspective.

if you play for Barca, Juve etc the wages are astronomical 

in the aleague it isn’t - if you talking making covering anbout 1/3 at most left of agreements for the season you probably are not talking more than a million for most teams maybe a bit more if you have marquees on high end.

To Mack’s point its the impression you leave on the players who you may want to retain luckily for us most other clubs are doing it so we aren’t abnormal. 

it comes down to if you think that someone who is worth around a billion (And his 3 silent friends) can afford to take a hit. 

A cynical way to look at it is in essence can someone with a thousand dollars afford 1 dollar for the greater good of something that is more than just an investment. 

there’s no right or wrong here just perspective I lean in the camp that he’s a tightarse but hey I haven’t put one cent up for anything other than supporting the team through attending Games so my opinion is a **** one 😂

3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

I would suggest that the owners of ESFC and MCFG are significantly more wealthy than the owners of our club. Those two clubs will survive regardless and can carry small fry losses.

We are living through times none of us have ever experienced before (except maybe Ed who has lived through a couple of World Wars :) )

I'd prefer our owners to be prudent with their spending to ensure our club survives. If that lumps us with the Charlesworth's from the Mariners of this world, so be it.

If and when the A-League starts up, I'd like to be there wearing my Season 2 jersey knowing I still have a club I passionately support.

I can't get over how quick we have been to not pay staff or players.

We had our players play in a match during COVID 

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Not only will they do that, in someway I am sure they will capitalise (or try to) on the misfortune of other clubs or situations. They are both nasty clubs. 

kopites of the a league

3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I can't get over how quick we have been to not pay staff or players.

We had our players play in a match during COVID 

kopites of the a league

Perhaps the owners took a hit when the stock market went off a cliff....?

33 minutes ago, sonar said:

Perhaps the owners took a hit when the stock market went off a cliff....?

I don’t think for a second it’s easy 

it’s horrible a whole bunch more people will lose their jobs before this is done 

3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I don’t think for a second it’s easy 

it’s horrible a whole bunch more people will lose their jobs before this is done 

Yep.....I was thinking if you have a billion then 0.5% of that ( $5m)  would be loose change to these guys.Suprised the owners decided to go the stand everyone down route tbh. Then again I'm just guessing what our owners real wealth is.

I don't think it would have mattered if Lederer was worth 100 billion dollars he'd still be standing down everyone to save cash.

Lederer's time in charge has been much closer to the Mariners than Sydney FC once the "honeymoon period" ACL win (the setup for which started long before he bought the club) is removed from the equation.

5 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

The MCFG owner was worth over US$20b about the time they took over Heart.  The bloke that owns SFC (Traktovenko) was thought to be a billionaire when he took it over but the last I saw he wasn't on the list of billionaire Russian oligarchs.

Lederer was worth A$1.14b in a recent rich list.

13 hours ago, mack said:

I don't think it would have mattered if Lederer was worth 100 billion dollars he'd still be standing down everyone to save cash.

Lederer's time in charge has been much closer to the Mariners than Sydney FC once the "honeymoon period" ACL win (the setup for which started long before he bought the club) is removed from the equation.

Here is an example where the wealth of owners and the profit of the club has made no difference, Club wirh record profits puts its hand out for government funding of admin staff

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/04/liverpool-become-latest-premier-league-club-to-furlough-non-playing-staff?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1586017261

gobshites 

13 hours ago, mack said:

Lederer is a man that would still buy the misshapen veg from woolies to save money.

Dont know much about his background..perhaps he comes from a really poor background and old habbits die hard :unknw:

They bought the club as a longer term investment, not a personal vanity project. That said, I have significant issues with wealthy owners passing the buck (quite literally) when it comes to supporting and protecting their staff during the pandemic. The owners bought a football club, which in few countries gives the owner/s a licence to print money. The owners are clearly playing the long game here, but that game requires a lot of goodwill from fans (current and future) in order for the investment to be a success. People are going to remember how the Wanderers treated its players and supporting staff during the pandemic and economic crisis, and the odds of some people* giving more money to the club down the line when the owners themselves couldn’t be bothered to do so now is a real risk.

*I suspect many will forget in time, but I certainly won’t. 

Edited by Generator

I’m still unsure what I think about the club standing people down. I’m definitely more sympathetic towards the back room and admin staff than the players. There’s hundreds of thousands of people across the country who’ve been stood down so I don’t know why professional sporting clubs seem to be some sort of exception or require a greater deal of empathy. 

Lederer’s spending habits are independent of this issue though imo. Whether you like/agree with it or not, most billionaires don’t generate their wealth without being savvy with their money. They don’t add zeros to their wealth by spending money without reason. Telling someone they should be spending money just because they’re rich has never been a concept I have understood or found appropriate. 

Sydney, Victory and City have all told their players that they will be paid til some point this month at which that will stop too unless a resolution is reached with Fox Sports. There was a FTBL article about it yesterday. So to say this is a typical Paul Lederer issue is somewhat unfair imo. 

Not totally sure what I think.  I know someone who works for the club and been stood down at the moment but also recognise it is a business that needs to survive.

I assume that WSW is a business with a complete budget etc.  I don't know how or where Lederer etc contribute to the bottom line (and I disagree they are there as an investment - no-one invests in an A League club to make money! That has been stated elsewhere).  I assume that the club is an entity in and of itself and must be able to function like any other business.  I'm not sure where you would draw the line in a club as to who stays on wages and who doesn't - not sure how many people across the coaching staff, academy, back of house, medical... staff WSW employs.  Certainly isn't just 23 players and a couple of coaches, some of whom are amongst the top end of earners in the club.

There are very significant financial questions the whole A League and sport in  general have to answer through this and clubs have to be solid businesses - with various forms of income that includes private sponsorship from individuals (eg owners), business...

Weird times that will change lots of things, including sport.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Westiesarebesties said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sporting-lisbon-pounce-on-wanderers-rookie-ortiz

How much potential have we lost here? I didnt keep up with that NYL players as much recently, so haven't heard much about him

Only watched a bit of him in the NYL this year but he was fairly average in my opinion, however he was competing against players who were a lot older than he was. Think he got selected for the match day squad but never made the bench. Must have been training with the first team.

16 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Only watched a bit of him in the NYL this year but he was fairly average in my opinion, however he was competing against players who were a lot older than he was. Think he got selected for the match day squad but never made the bench. Must have been training with the first team.

I remember Artiz Borda but not Ortiz. 

• mack locked, unlocked, locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic