mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

He's done ok

Yeah he has done ok, and to be honest what other options are there these days...

19 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

Fixed

Aloisi's

The semi against the Roar was a highlight.....seeing both of them losing their shyte.........so glad we won.....:D

Posted (edited)

Wanderers star Mitchell Duke may be forced out

Wanderers striker Mitchell Duke has confirmed interest from clubs in Europe.

He’s one of the A-League’s hottest strikers, but Western Sydney Wanderers star Mitchell Duke could be forced out of the competition — with a European move looking likely.

The Wanderers skipper has already netted 11 goals, putting him equal fifth in the race for this year’s Golden Boot, but is yet to secure a contract beyond this season, with the Socceroo confirming interest from clubs in Germany, Denmark, Belgium and Cyprus.

Duke and the Wanderers were beginning to find form before the forced shutdown of the league, with the 29-year-old attributing his goal rush – scoring six in seven games – to the sacking of coach Markus Babbel in January.

Under Jean-Paul de Marigny, who was last week installed as the club’s head coach after holding the interim tag for the past six months, Duke and the Wanderers have gone from strength to strength – and now loom as a dark horse in the A-League’s run to the finals.

But while Duke has made it clear he would like to stay on next season, his hand may be forced if no approach is made soon.

“(I) haven’t really had much contact, no one has reached out to me about wanting to keep me,” Duke told News Corp.

“I’ve been quite surprised that I haven’t had too much interest in Australia, but that could be due to the virus and the financial side of things.

“I have had offers from Europe come in but I also think Asia is an exciting market. Recently I have had a bit more interest and those conversations are starting to get into more detail.

“I’m the captain and we’re doing well, but I have to weigh up all options and what is best for my family. In two or three weeks I think we could see a decision being made.”

Edited by wswnick

What a dumb title. WSW are never going to "force him out". We might not be able to keep him but that's hardly the same as booting him out the door.

12 minutes ago, mack said:

What a dumb title. WSW are never going to "force him out". We might not be able to keep him but that's hardly the same as booting him out the door.

What else would you expect from a Murdoch owned newsletter

They write clickbait titles in a vain attempt to get subscriptions just like Fox Sports.

Posted (edited)

I would be guttered if Duke left the club for another A-League club (especially Macarthur Bulls). If he went to Germany, great. Maybe Babbel has spoken to someone and put in the good word for him, who knows.

Hopefully he'll be offered an extension. Fingers crossed.

Edited by MathyouWSW

14 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

I would be guttered if Duke left the club for another A-League club (especially Macarthur Bulls). If he went to Germany, great. Maybe Babbel has spoken to someone and put in the good word for him, who knows.

Hopefully he'll be offered an extension. Fingers crossed.

On 19/07/2020 at 10:38 PM, wswnick said:

Duke and the Wanderers were beginning to find form before the forced shutdown of the league, with the 29-year-old attributing his goal rush – scoring six in seven games – to the sacking of coach Markus Babbel in January.

Not sure about Babbel giving him a glowing reference. Duke above attributed his goal scoring form with the sacking of Babbel.

Duke would be getting paid decently but I doubt he’s making a fortune. If we can’t afford him then I highly doubt any other clubs could, unless it’s a cap issue. 

He’d be mad to go to Europe or even Asia. I love him and the effort he puts in but for me he’s not at the level to be playing regularly in a starting lineup OS.

17 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Duke would be getting paid decently but I doubt he’s making a fortune. If we can’t afford him then I highly doubt any other clubs could, unless it’s a cap issue. 

He’d be mad to go to Europe or even Asia. I love him and the effort he puts in but for me he’s not at the level to be playing regularly in a starting lineup OS.

We have no marquee players at the moment and looking at our squad if we have a cap issues then somebody wants shooting.

Duke could more than hold his own in League One or maybe Championship. But given the COVID not sure I'd want to swap Sydney for wet Wednesday nights in Fleetwood, Sunderland etc.

If Duke has real offers in Germany and Belgium then WTF is he still here lol

Classic "talk to the media to sort out my contract" stuff here

Maybe offers from the J/K League teams? Though you are getting value for money when buying him as his work rate is through the roof so i cant blame clubs for wanting to take him

4 hours ago, Erebus said:

If Duke has real offers in Germany and Belgium then WTF is he still here lol

Classic "talk to the media to sort out my contract" stuff here

Isn't the tweet a WSW Club tweet rather Duke's own tweet!?

In any event, the Club's hands are tied somewhat until the new salary cap is sorted.

55 minutes ago, mack said:

It's a club tweet of what Duke said in a press conference.

So the club is perfectly happy with his comment

Bossi Alert 

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/shooting-in-the-dark-wanderers-fear-losing-stars-amid-salary-cap-uncertainty-20200724-p55f7j.html?__twitter_impression=true

A-League clubs are at risk of losing some of their best players to overseas rivals because they are unable to offer off-contract stars new deals amid the uncertainty around the salary cap.

Western Sydney Wanderers coach Jean-Paul de Marigny concedes the club may lose captain Mitch Duke and key defender Matt Jurman despite being desperate to keep both players.The two Socceroos are free agents as of August 31 but the Wanderers are unable to enter contract negotiations due to a lack of clarity around the competition's finances and salary cap next season. It means they could lose the duo to overseas clubs without being able to make a counter offer.

"That’s a possibility, that could be one of the pitfalls," de Marigny said. "Until we know ... what the salary cap will be, it’s very, very hard to answer this. But potentially that could be a scenario." The situation isn't unique to the Wanderers, all 12 A-League clubs next season have been affected. De Marigny said conversations with Duke hadn't progressed beyond a statement of intent to keep him.

"This is where it’s a little bit difficult in terms of we don’t actually know exactly what the landscape looks like ... until we do that, it’s very difficult to recruit at the moment but all the players that are here and off contract [are] good players who we are obviously very interested in signing," de Marigny said. "In the landscape at the moment, we’re shooting in the dark."

Fortunately for the Wanderers, Duke is sympathetic to their plight. Sources close to the player say he has attracted interest from the Middle East

"I have had the conversation in regards to that they would love to keep me and things like that," Duke said. "It’s just what it looks like for next season, we don’t know yet which is fine and understandable during these times. Everyone is going to be in a different financial situation.

"I have had a few chats with the club now and everyone is in the same boat financially, not knowing what the budget is, salary cap for next season. You have to just take that and it will get sorted in its own time."

The Wanderers face the Central Coast Mariners in Gosford on Monday and de Marigny will have close to a full squad to choose from. Forward Kwame Yeboah is the only injury concern. Swiss midfielder Pirmin Schwegler has resumed full training after 14 days in quarantine following his return to Australia.

Young Socceroos goalkeeper Nick Suman has returned to full training after a shoulder injury but de Marigny said new signing Tristan Prendergast will start in the net.

Talking about salary cap for next season. What about the Mad Cowthers, they would of signed players on the previous seasons salary cap.

I assume the mad cowthers  refer to the Smurfs,  they have resigned all players and assuming at the current salary cap level so what do they do.

1. Do the smurfs reduce all players wages ? or will the governing body create 2 rules,  those signed stay at current salary cap stay and new signings abide by the new salary cap. That will be hard to work out.

2. Why do a new salary cap for 20/21 season, setup the new structure and notify clubs very soon that this is the salary cap for 21/22 that can only be the fair way and do it quick.

3. Or is this the Wanderers way of justifying the reduction of cost to do business next season.  Referring to the Wanderers inability to be able to offer Duke and Jurman contracts.  

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

I assume the mad cowthers  refer to the Smurfs,  they have resigned all players and assuming at the current salary cap level so what do they do.

1. Do the smurfs reduce all players wages ? or will the governing body create 2 rules,  those signed stay at current salary cap stay and new signings abide by the new salary cap. That will be hard to work out.

2. Why do a new salary cap for 20/21 season, setup the new structure and notify clubs very soon that this is the salary cap for 21/22 that can only be the fair way and do it quick.

3. Or is this the Wanderers way of justifying the reduction of cost to do business next season.  Referring to the Wanderers inability to be able to offer Duke and Jurman contracts.  

The Mad Cowthers is my play on words for Macarthur FC also they being the Bulls.

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

No.

The kopites Will just get in with it and resign players. It’s very wsw to wait and in the process lose 2 players. 

18 hours ago, mack said:

Bossi Alert 

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/shooting-in-the-dark-wanderers-fear-losing-stars-amid-salary-cap-uncertainty-20200724-p55f7j.html?__twitter_impression=true

A-League clubs are at risk of losing some of their best players to overseas rivals because they are unable to offer off-contract stars new deals amid the uncertainty around the salary cap.

Western Sydney Wanderers coach Jean-Paul de Marigny concedes the club may lose captain Mitch Duke and key defender Matt Jurman despite being desperate to keep both players.The two Socceroos are free agents as of August 31 but the Wanderers are unable to enter contract negotiations due to a lack of clarity around the competition's finances and salary cap next season. It means they could lose the duo to overseas clubs without being able to make a counter offer.

"That’s a possibility, that could be one of the pitfalls," de Marigny said. "Until we know ... what the salary cap will be, it’s very, very hard to answer this. But potentially that could be a scenario." The situation isn't unique to the Wanderers, all 12 A-League clubs next season have been affected. De Marigny said conversations with Duke hadn't progressed beyond a statement of intent to keep him.

"This is where it’s a little bit difficult in terms of we don’t actually know exactly what the landscape looks like ... until we do that, it’s very difficult to recruit at the moment but all the players that are here and off contract [are] good players who we are obviously very interested in signing," de Marigny said. "In the landscape at the moment, we’re shooting in the dark."

Fortunately for the Wanderers, Duke is sympathetic to their plight. Sources close to the player say he has attracted interest from the Middle East

"I have had the conversation in regards to that they would love to keep me and things like that," Duke said. "It’s just what it looks like for next season, we don’t know yet which is fine and understandable during these times. Everyone is going to be in a different financial situation.

"I have had a few chats with the club now and everyone is in the same boat financially, not knowing what the budget is, salary cap for next season. You have to just take that and it will get sorted in its own time."

The Wanderers face the Central Coast Mariners in Gosford on Monday and de Marigny will have close to a full squad to choose from. Forward Kwame Yeboah is the only injury concern. Swiss midfielder Pirmin Schwegler has resumed full training after 14 days in quarantine following his return to Australia.

Young Socceroos goalkeeper Nick Suman has returned to full training after a shoulder injury but de Marigny said new signing Tristan Prendergast will start in the net.

Wow.....that's a Bossi article without a dig at us?! :shok: Or perhaps I have scanned too quickly and there a a tentative hidden one within...

SFC are owned by a billionaire who actually cares about the team first, money second. Ours is money first, money second, money third, and maybe the team after that. If Lederer wanted to keep players he'd get JT to do that.

This cap nonsense is an excuse.

Remember, we don't have Lopar right now because Lederer was too cheap to pay his salary during the lockdown. SFC's players all got their regular pay.

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

No.

no without comment I think it is    "YES"

19 hours ago, mack said:

SFC are owned by a billionaire who actually cares about the team first, money second. Ours is money first, money second, money third, and maybe the team after that. If Lederer wanted to keep players he'd get JT to do that.

This cap nonsense is an excuse.

Remember, we don't have Lopar right now because Lederer was too cheap to pay his salary during the lockdown. SFC's players all got their regular pay.

No they didn’t. The only club that did was Melbourne City