mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

No they didn’t. The only club that did was Melbourne City

Hmm. My understanding is that SFC also paid their players through the lockdown, at least until the PFA agreement to return.

They paid everyone including staff that didn't want to claim benefits. They will continue to dominate for years esfc have shown us up on what a club is with loyalty compared to judas lederer who treats people like his old primo 457 visa slaves. 

Saw Janjetovic having a coffee with Crea, on Saturday in Bonnyrigg.

I know Crea is helping Kalac at United, but heard he moving across to Bulls next season.

Lack of clarity on the Salary cap does not seem to stop other clubs signing players, see below

The composition of the inaugural squad of Macarthur FC is becoming clearer with the A-League newcomers set to announce their second player with the signing Olyroo Denis Genreau.

The 21-year-old creative midfielder announced his departure from Melbourne City on Saturday and is expected to sign a three-year deal with Macarthur, according to sources close to the club.

On 24/07/2020 at 8:06 PM, WHACKO said:

Talking about salary cap for next season. What about the Mad Cowthers, they would of signed players on the previous seasons salary cap.

They've signed like 2 players.

They've got bigger problems methinks.

They've signed 9 players from other clubs that won't be announced till September apparently

Adam Federici has signed for Macarthur so still looking like Vedran is on our books for a few more years

Posted (edited)

Gatty saying Mark Milligan to be announced as a marquee for Macarthur.

Edited by wswnick

On 28/07/2020 at 12:32 PM, Keithie said:

Lack of clarity on the Salary cap does not seem to stop other clubs signing players, see below

The composition of the inaugural squad of Macarthur FC is becoming clearer with the A-League newcomers set to announce their second player with the signing Olyroo Denis Genreau.

The 21-year-old creative midfielder announced his departure from Melbourne City on Saturday and is expected to sign a three-year deal with Macarthur, according to sources close to the club.

Isn't it the owners themselves calling for a reduction in the salary cap? The big spending by some clubs make me wonder whether the owners are just foxing, trying to squeeze more money from the broadcast deal than the $1.6M proposed by the FFA. If so pretty greedy. Some money has to go to the women's league and to league running costs.

13 hours ago, JustWandering said:

Isn't it the owners themselves calling for a reduction in the salary cap? The big spending by some clubs make me wonder whether the owners are just foxing, trying to squeeze more money from the broadcast deal than the $1.6M proposed by the FFA. If so pretty greedy. Some money has to go to the women's league and to league running costs.

FFA has always taken more than they need. It's why there was a push for more clarity on how they spend it, how they make their decisions etc

He didn't play for the NPL team today either despite being eligible with the changes to the structure for this season.

Duke off to Saudi Arabi it seems:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/wanderers-set-to-lose-another-captain-with-duke-nearing-saudi-move-20200807-p55jkl.html

Western Sydney Wanderers could be forced to find a sixth captain in as many years with striker Mitchell Duke set to leave at the end of the season having attracted a lucrative offer from the Middle East.

The Wanderers captain is off contract in the coming weeks but is unlikely to remain with the club beyond this season as he closes in on a move to a club in the Saudi Arabian Professional League. While a deal is yet to be signed, sources close to the player suggest negotiations are close to being finalised.

Should an agreement be reached in the coming weeks, Duke's departure would be a significant blow for the Wanderers next season. Not only is Duke the club's top scorer for this campaign having netted 12 times in 24 league appearances, he was also selected by his peers to inherit the captain's armband at the start of the season.

The Wanderers are eager to retain Duke but are not yet in a position to offer him a contract extension due to the lingering uncertainty around the league's finances, including next season's salary cap. A reduction of almost 40 per cent in the broadcast deal is set to leave the clubs with a significantly smaller grant from Football Federation Australia, which could impact player payments.

It could leave the Wanderers helpless in their fight to keep Duke, whose tenure as leader of the club appears to have followed the same trajectory as three of his predecessors - Brendan Hamill, Mark Bridge and Dimas Delgado - all of whom lasted just one season as captain.

Should Duke also leave after just one campaign with the armband, it would leave the Wanderers with yet another headache over the squad's leadership. He is the fifth captain to assume the role since Nikolai Topor-Stanley's departure in 2016 with the Wanderers having experienced a heavy churn of players in that period.

1 hour ago, mack said:

That article is wrong.

The club isn't going to let Duke go because of "uncertainty around finances", we're going to let him go because Lederer is too cheap to retain him.

As highlighted in the macarthur thread the "uncertainty around finances" due to reduced revenue from Fox, salary cap reductions etc isn't stopping them going gangbusters recruiting and spending lots of $$$$ .  Pathetic excuse from the club IMO. 

5 hours ago, mack said:

That article is wrong.

The club isn't going to let Duke go because of "uncertainty around finances", we're going to let him go because Lederer is too cheap to retain him.

If only there was a player spot which didn't depend on the salary cap, maybe something like a "designated player" or maybe even a "marquee"

2 hours ago, Unlimited said:

If only there was a player spot which didn't depend on the salary cap, maybe something like a "designated player" or maybe even a "marquee"

We don't do the whole marquee thing..

2 minutes ago, Jungle said:

We don't do the whole marquee thing..

Well, we haven't done since Shinji.

In the end, Duke is an Aussie Striker, born and bred in West Sydney, scores 14 goals in a team coming 9th, half season played as a LW, scores in big games. We’re crazy to have not tied him down already 

8 hours ago, mack said:

That article is wrong.

Haven't we at times had one of the highest team wages? We just seem to be really bad with our money. Don't spend it when we should, and overspend it on bad choices

The only thing being the "highest wages" payer means is that you've paid the most to your two marquees.

Any player in the top 5ish goals scorers should demand decent coin, I'm guessing there's no plan yet for next season and another rebuild and pain is on the way, we've lost our direction and time for tasmatis to go out and bring in a non corporate stooge. 

It’s hilarious how every Aussie that signs for some questionable Asian league club on the promise of big money thinks their experience will somehow be different to the countless players before them who went through living hell and couldn’t wait to get out. 

I genuinely hope it works for him but I really won’t be surprised to read in 6-9 months time some FTBL article about ‘Duke’s Saudi nightmare’...

Posted (edited)

what players are contracted for next year my guess is Lopar and Mueller won't be back Duke gone Schwiegler retired , that is the core of the team what is left

Ziegler should be gone 

Hammel opps sorry I mean Jurman will probably end up at Campbelltown

Macgowan probably contracted next year

Daniel G probably at Campelltown

Russell a keeper 

Tass M a keeper but has every right to move on to get games probably Campbelltown

Baccus will probably move on

Bruce Kamau my bet Campbelltown 

Doherty squadie at best not a starter

Yebough needs to go probably Campbelltown

Cox In my opinion is not the answer as a goal scorer , 

Adam has not improved this year , CCM with his mates

Grozos hmmm 

Sullivan also has every right to move on to get gametime probably to Campbelltown

and at this stage not signing anybody with the excuse we don't know the salary cap

This club continues it's sorry slide to oblivion 

Edited by Keithie

Posted (edited)

Lopar signed a two year extension this year. He has said he will be back.

Edited by sonar

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, sonar said:

Lopar signed a two year extension this year.

Muller also apparently said he is here for another year.

Duke's situation is quite confusing to me. I know its the clubs fault not offering or doing anything about his contract. He says he has to way up his options (in terms of money I would assume), but you can't tell me he doesn't earn a significantly higher salary than most families with 2 kids in Australia. I've seen his Instagram, he has multiple gaming machines (basketball machine you would see at an arcade, ping pong table etc.) in his household by the looks of things, which a lot of people can't afford to have. 

Don't want to go at him because he has been arguably our best player over the last season and a half, but our club is in bloody turmoil and we need someone to be loyal, lead us out of this massive hole and leave a worthy legacy at the club rather than play a season and a half, pretend you care, shut up shop and leave only to come back 6-12 months later.

Hope (that word again lol) he stays but confident he will go.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST

Lopar is stuck here for two years, Mueller who knows, Duke I reckon will stay but cant blame him for looking for options even if just to raise his own share price.  Tass, Tate, Bacchus, Bruce, Grozos, these guys need to be kept as they are young and you need that progression at any Club, Ziegler, Jurman, MacGowan situation needs to be sorted, breaks my heart to see a guy like NTS still domainting at Jets as they realise he is old and play players around him that address his deficencies, he would of still been better than any of those 3 for us this season. I wouldn't go looking for him now but with Hammill, Ziegler, Jurman, McG you cannot tell me he had less to offer than those have over the last 3 seasons. Tass has to start with one of those and get rid of the rest or find another. Up front well we need something, we have never had that striker and x factor and that has been one of our biggest problems of the last 6 seasons and look at all the succesful Clubs, juniors like Mo etc dont cut it, they may have a good game or two but over a season you need that consistent x factor that every sccesful Club has and we don't and never have.  Overall a season exactly like the previous COVID or no COVID, every year we seem to have an excuse for failure.

1 hour ago, beatsurrender said:

We do spend money. Just not wisely. Piovaccari was on a million for example I believe. 

We are sporadic in spending Spent mont on 2 marquees that year, the next year we went el cheapo with a marquee of Nico only and we weren’t paying most of his wage 

following that we lash money on Reira and cejudo (one good one bad)

we have had no consistency, even when we were good we still turned over players at a unsustainable rate