Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

13 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Being one of the clubs that has opted to force pay cuts, I suggest we start looking at replacement options from the NPL.

This is going to be another dreadful year

I'd really like to see how that English striker at Wolves goes in A-league. Top scorer for NPL but overlooked because of his international spot. Went to Perth and didn't get a go these last few rounds because of Popovic nepotism

1 hour ago, wswnick said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Lopar doesn't return on the back of the pay cuts news.

Our two best players this previous season gone because Lederer is a cheap-ass.

Barring a recruitment miracle we'll have a worse goalkeeper and a wide player who will be lucky to score half what Duke did as a wing-forward.

City and SFC will remain top two if every other team in the league guts their player payments. Why even bother with a cap at that point.

And if people think this 30% cut is brutal just wait until Foxtel ditch the league and we're left with whatever the new Club run A-League can scrounge up. Which if we're lucky will be a pretty small payment from Optus, and if we're unlucky, will be the ffa/clubs having to run their own streaming service or paying for the broadcasts to go on tv.

So disappointing but not surprising that we have lumped ourselves in with all of the poverty clubs. Once again shown up by Sydney (and City and Victory) who will keep paying their players apparently. We’ve become a joke....come on owners pay the players what they’re worth. Otherwise it’s mediocrity here we come again.

Embarrassed to be part of the club today.

33 minutes ago, mack said:

Our two best players this previous season gone because Lederer is a cheap-ass.

Barring a recruitment miracle we'll have a worse goalkeeper and a wide player who will be lucky to score half what Duke did as a wing-forward.

City and SFC will remain top two if every other team in the league guts their player payments. Why even bother with a cap at that point.

And if people think this 30% cut is brutal just wait until Foxtel ditch the league and we're left with whatever the new Club run A-League can scrounge up. Which if we're lucky will be a pretty small payment from Optus, and if we're unlucky, will be the ffa/clubs having to run their own streaming service or paying for the broadcasts to go on tv.

getting rid of your only 2 players who performed last year, then motivating your remaining players by cutting their pay and still expecting members to pay for season  Tickets certainly is a “bold” plan 

17 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Agree. Brad Jones reportedly on the outer at his club, however there is interest from other clubs in Saudi Arabia so it is unlikely he will come back to Australia.

Apparently on Swansea website Swans are interested in him, American owners ties.

There is an apocalyptic shitstorm about to hit regarding contracts and pay which I can see dragging on for a long time. I personally think it is the very reason why February is being tabled as a possible start date for next season cause we are underestimating just how serious this issue is.

It confuses me why there’s clubs that are storming ahead with player signings when there is little clarity around contracts and pay rates. I have no issues with WSW not signing players atm cause it could avoid what I think will be an inevitable headache.

On 11/09/2020 at 8:55 AM, sonar said:

Rhetoric is no match for reality is it.....Our owners talk the talk but never walk the walk........sigh

To be fair we are the only club that has any lasting infrastructure, they have put a shed load of wedge into that 

Not to say I’m not frustrated by our lack of on field investment, but I think there is a long term plan to produce our own players

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

To be fair we are the only club that has any lasting infrastructure, they have put a shed load of wedge into that 

Not to say I’m not frustrated by our lack of on field investment, but I think there is a long term plan to produce our own players

Heartle$$ would disagree with you.

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

Wanderers are building a team of kids , that's all we can afford , might as well hand the Trophy to ESFC they have said they will maintain there agreed player payments.

I dunno how if the Salary cap gets lowered.

I think they meant instead of standing players down until agreement is reached. All clubs will have to adhere to new agreement once it's in place.

Interesting conundrum, really.  Does a club just go ahead and make decisions and then have to change them post the contracts being signed???  Or do they wait until the rules are on the table and work within them?  SFC has always flown by its own rules so can't imagine much difference there but could be interesting if they sign a team under Sal Cap $X and then discover it has the be $X-Y and they have to either reduce everyone's wages or sack some players.  Is this the issues for teams?

Unless the FFA have told the clubs the rules have changed then they should be signing players under the current rules. I can't see how they could force players to take pay cuts or lose their jobs when they signed contracts that complied with the rules at the time they were signed. SFC would tell a sob story about how the league will lose payers like Ninkovic and the Fox Sports crew will lap it up.

My guess is the big clubs are trying to lock in as many players as possible, hoping they'll be grandfathered into the new rules or at least that they can put up a fight for that. Meanwhile the dud clubs will wait, complain that it's unfair when things don't go their way then lose with a bargain bin squad of journeymen and academy players.

2 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Interesting conundrum, really.  Does a club just go ahead and make decisions and then have to change them post the contracts being signed???  Or do they wait until the rules are on the table and work within them?  SFC has always flown by its own rules so can't imagine much difference there but could be interesting if they sign a team under Sal Cap $X and then discover it has the be $X-Y and they have to either reduce everyone's wages or sack some players.  Is this the issues for teams?

Sydney are likely to lose a bunch of high earners too, word is LeFondre is off to India

But yep shits me that we compain about Sydney breaking the rules or City using the Cahill rule etc. When our club doesn't even consistently use the marquee spots available. We need to stop whinging about what the other clubs do and get on with bending the rules ourselves

This is what the PFA & Club negotiations are about. The PFA rejected a system where the clubs could pick certain players to drop wages, so now they have to negotiate an across the board cut. And players are seeing the writing on the wall and leaving. The clubs want at least a 30% cut. The PFA don't want that.

Frankly we should just terminate everyone and start fresh with no cap, no minimums, no maximums, bring in a transfer system. It's only going to get worse once Foxtel quit the league and the revenue tanks.

7 minutes ago, Generator said:

The youth contracts are good - about time we saw something from this fabled academy, and it’s time accept (and embrace) that the A-League will be a development league where we celebrate the stars of tomorrow (and hopefully the best of the rest). 

Do you think that in the long run that a league that doesn't attract a higher calibre of player(s) means the level of the young players does not rise accordingly.

We should aim to attract the best players we can, but we also need to own the fact we have a domestic league that’s, in terms of top talent, a feeder league. It can still be exciting and fun to watch and, I hope, give players the prospect of a productive career with national team options and enough cash to support their post-football lives, but there’s no point aiming for the impossible.

Can anyone tell me why the club's want the A-league to be an independent entity. When at the first sign of trouble they want to slash wages. How are they going run the competition when Foxtel drop all their coverage and that source of revenue is no longer available. If they are crying poor now and are struggling with 30 odd million how are they going to run it with ZERO million of Foxtel dollars.

• mack locked, unlocked, locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic