Squad Development 2019/20 Part 2

3 hours ago, mack said:

What we truly never recovered from was sacking Gombau after 6 months because of pissy players.

maybe we should have given him one season with his own pre season and at least some of his own signings then we wouldnt be in this pile of **** we are currently in right now, stats wise he is miles better than babbel

1 minute ago, Neverbloom said:

maybe we should have given him one season with his own pre season and at least some of his own signings then we wouldnt be in this pile of **** we are currently in right now, stats wise he is miles better than babbel

Or we could piss them both off for not showing one iota or improvement in nearly a full season.. where in the world is this football league where they give managers time and their own squad? 

gumby showed nothing to show he could turn it around, and his signing to commence the build of his own squad where Kamau, Fitzgerald and that centre back who was so bad I’ve forgotten his name but he was last season on the bench for the mariners 

18 minutes ago, mack said:

I just find it odd that in a year and a half in Adelaide everyone loved him, then a few months at WSW and everyone hates him.

They hated him in the national set up and were glad we gave them a way out - to get rid of him.  Don't know what it was in Adelaide but also took Amor half a season to set them on the right track and become a truly winning side .

3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Or we could piss them both off for not showing one iota or improvement in nearly a full season.. where in the world is this football league where they give managers time and their own squad? 

gumby showed nothing to show he could turn it around, and his signing to commence the build of his own squad where Kamau, Fitzgerald and that centre back who was so bad I’ve forgotten his name but he was last season on the bench for the mariners 

i can agree somewhat however popa made some complete garbage signings and made them work, who do you think we should have signed? or who do you think we should sign right now? i honestly dont know the options right now, would you prefer Jean-Paul de Marigny?

the thing is i am never going to claim to be an expert on football because i know **** all :P but i do wonder how we would have done if most of the players were not such a bunch of whiney bitches and refused to play for gombau, sure that is partly on gombau but if a player just refuses to work with you then there is not much you can do until you can punt them

1 hour ago, Neverbloom said:

out of our current squad keep Lopar and Duke and get rid of the rest? i am curious how many players people would keep from the current squad, also keep adam

Here is my list:

Definite contract extensions: Lopar, Georgevski, Müller, Schwegler, Sullivan, Duke, Adam.

Maybe: Jurman, Elrich (I feel this may be his last season tbh), Tass, O'Doherty, Russel, Grozos.

Release/Let them go: Vedran, Mcgowan (The CB LW), Ziegler, Kamau, Meier and Yeboah (I swear if we re-sign this guy).

Any changes?

3 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Here is my list:

Definite contract extensions: Lopar, Georgevski, Müller, Schwegler, Sullivan, Duke, Adam.

Maybe: Jurman, Elrich (I feel this may be his last season tbh), Tass, O'Doherty, Russel, Grozos.

Release/Let them go: Vedran, Mcgowan (The CB LW), Ziegler, Kamau, Meier and Yeboah (I swear if we re-sign this guy).

Any changes?

i admire Georgevski's passion but tbh he just hasnt done that well recently imo, though maybe with a decent team around him he actually would :P, i  do agree with Sullivan too though, i forgot we still have Vedran :P

12 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

i admire Georgevski's passion but tbh he just hasnt done that well recently imo, though maybe with a decent team around him he actually would :P, i  do agree with Sullivan too though, i forgot we still have Vedran :P

To be honest that is the only reason I put Dani Georgevski in there. His passion is what I think we need. In my opinion he was one of our best in pre season and I honestly believe that Babbel's tactics, formation and position changes have impacted his performance.

For me personally, Nick Sullivan is one of the best players at the club and is the future. From what i've seen of this kid he is going on to big things. Whenever I watch him i'm very impressed and is a very exciting player to watch. I hope they sign him for another 2 seasons and then he can think about Europe.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST
1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Here is my list:

Any changes?

You forgot Majewski. If we keep the three foreigners and Majewski and Ziegler hasn't got his citizenship (and I hardly imagine he's just going to leave) it means we haven't got a spot for a foreign striker so keep that in mind.

I'd change O'Doherty to keep. I'd keep one of Jurman or Tass assuming Jurman doesn't want a huge pay packet. Release Grozos unless he has a massive 2nd half of the season.

You're all assuming these players will want to stay. It may not be our choice. If I had other options, I'd leave, we're a joke at the moment. 

As usual, our best players will go on to do better things elsewhere. 

Edited by matty
2 hours ago, hughsey said:

Lopar, Jurman (if he pulls his finger out), Schwegler, Duke and maybe one or two other starting players. We need to keep a spine whether Babbel stays or not. You cannot keep starting from scratch each season and expecting to be competitive.

Our of the names mentioned who do you think would want to stay though based on how the club is currently run? And how the coaching is run? 

1 hour ago, mack said:

You forgot Majewski. If we keep the three foreigners and Majewski and Ziegler hasn't got his citizenship (and I hardly imagine he's just going to leave) it means we haven't got a spot for a foreign striker so keep that in mind.

I'd change O'Doherty to keep. I'd keep one of Jurman or Tass assuming Jurman doesn't want a huge pay packet. Release Grozos unless he has a massive 2nd half of the season.

You think we will keep Meier... I will take Majewski although hopefully he hasn't lost it from his injury. I would keep Jordan O'Doherty as long as he hasn't gotten worse from his injury. I'd keep Tass out of him and Jurman. Jurman seems to be struggling since his groin injury. He probably takes up a fair bit in the cap as well. Grozos is youth and homegrown player so I would keep him.

46 minutes ago, matty said:

You're all assuming these players will want to stay. It may not be our choice. If I had other options, I'd leave, we're a joke at the moment. 

As usual, our best players will go on to do better things elsewhere. 

Nope. Just a list of players I hope the club tries really hard to re-sign because they are our best players and players we can build the team around. Some also for the future and helpful off the bench.

7 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

1 goal in 12 games strikers don’t grow on trees 

If the club are in the market for non scoring strikers I have a long list in my team that would happily take minimum wage just to get their name in football manager cough*upthehill*cough

14 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

i can agree somewhat however popa made some complete garbage signings and made them work, who do you think we should have signed? or who do you think we should sign right now? i honestly dont know the options right now, would you prefer Jean-Paul de Marigny?

the thing is i am never going to claim to be an expert on football because i know **** all :P but i do wonder how we would have done if most of the players were not such a bunch of whiney bitches and refused to play for gombau, sure that is partly on gombau but if a player just refuses to work with you then there is not much you can do until you can punt them

Not sure where the story that the players didn't want to play for Gombau actually comes from - at least not at the start.  He was embraced and then went about dismantling everything, rejecting players without any reason or comment except 'I don't like you' and did his utmost best to get everyone off-side.  Gombau had to work hard to become hated and impossible to work with and play for.  If it wasn't for players like Santa who positively intervened in different occasions to help make the right decisions and broker some peace between player and coach it could have been much worse.  Santa was scathing after the season.  He didn't say much through it and just got on as best he could.  He is that sort of guy. 

From most of our comments on here (on various people involved in the club and league) and the way we are intolerant of stupidity or poor decisions, I doubt there would be many of us (certainly not me) who would have put up with Gombau for more than 5 minutes.  Santa is a rarity and legend and why we need him back in some significant capacity.  But even he did not hold back at season end after Gumby was shown the door.  Shafting him was the right decision and that has nothing to do with Babbel who  will (and should be) judged on his own accomplishments or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Not sure where the story that the players didn't want to play for Gombau actually comes from - at least not at the start.  He was embraced and then went about dismantling everything, rejecting players without any reason or comment except 'I don't like you' and did his utmost best to get everyone off-side.  Gombau had to work hard to become hated and impossible to work with and play for.  If it wasn't for players like Santa who positively intervened in different occasions to help make the right decisions and broker some peace between player and coach it could have been much worse.  Santa was scathing after the season.  He didn't say much through it and just got on as best he could.  He is that sort of guy. 

From most of our comments on here (on various people involved in the club and league) and the way we are intolerant of stupidity or poor decisions, I doubt there would be many of us (certainly not me) who would have put up with Gombau for more than 5 minutes.  Santa is a rarity and legend and why we need him back in some significant capacity.  But even he did not hold back at season end after Gumby was shown the door.  Shafting him was the right decision and that has nothing to do with Babbel who  will (and should be) judged on his own accomplishments or otherwise.

has he had those issues at any other club he worked for though?

Just now, Neverbloom said:

has he had those issues at any other club he worked for though?

Don't know about club but they 'hated' him in the National Team set up and wanted him gone.  We took him and saved them a big problem.  Maybe something happened to him after he was tossed by Adelaide?  Maybe he didn't deal with that or discovered his famed 'philosophy' or whatever.  Perhaps he was just the absolutely wrong person for that team at that point in time - a team in crisis after being brought together and prepared by Popa - including recruits who were talked into coming here by Popa and were looking for particular outcomes...  It all turned to dust before the season started.  Maybe Gombau didn't/couldn't read the mood, the need and couldn't work with where player's heads were?

I have no idea and al just putting forward theories like most others on here - shooting crap out of the back end and seeing if some sticks, sound right...  I have no real idea why Gumby was who he was in NT and WSW but he left neither with a good rep or much respect.

5 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Don't know about club but they 'hated' him in the National Team set up and wanted him gone.  We took him and saved them a big problem.  Maybe something happened to him after he was tossed by Adelaide?  Maybe he didn't deal with that or discovered his famed 'philosophy' or whatever.  Perhaps he was just the absolutely wrong person for that team at that point in time - a team in crisis after being brought together and prepared by Popa - including recruits who were talked into coming here by Popa and were looking for particular outcomes...  It all turned to dust before the season started.  Maybe Gombau didn't/couldn't read the mood, the need and couldn't work with where player's heads were?

I have no idea and al just putting forward theories like most others on here - shooting crap out of the back end and seeing if some sticks, sound right...  I have no real idea why Gumby was who he was in NT and WSW but he left neither with a good rep or much respect.

honestly i heard he wasnt popular with the NT set up, my guess these rumours dont just come out of someone's arse, i know popa put many players offside but only after he knew they were going to go from the club while gombau did kinda look like he put everyone off side :P i wonder what babbel's relationship is like with the players too because there doesnt look like there is much effort being put in so its hard to tell 

1 hour ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

If the club are in the market for non scoring strikers I have a long list in my team that would happily take minimum wage just to get their name in football manager cough*upthehill*cough

I was so close until the rotator cuff. GK just May not be the answer for me.

Lets be honest though, I’m not that much more unfit than Meier. Reckon if I hung around the box for 15 games one might bounce in off my arse. That would make me better value than Meier on a dollar to goal ratio

• mack locked, unlocked, locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic