Wanderers Storm Melbourne For 3 Points

I was worried last week that we’d do the usually wanderers thing of dropping too many points in the first few weeks and spend the rest of the season playing catch up. Much more convincing performance away against a team we never beat. I can’t complain if we’re winning games while we’re getting up to speed. If we win next week we’ll be clear on top and genuine title contenders.

4 hours ago, mack said:

Gonna be interesting to see where how Babbel fits Muller & Ziggy into the lineup especially if we keep winning.

I don’t think Babel cares about what’s happened in past games, he’ll just change the lineup according to what he thinks he needs and what he sees in training.

Provided same formation, if Ziggy is fit and looking sharper than McGowan then he goes in. If back three, he slots in alongside Jurman and McG. 

And it’s pretty hard to imagine that Muller won’t provide more than Adam who, though a good talent, makes tactical mistakes still and occasionally has a poor touch which lets him down.

A front three of Duke, Muller and the Fussballgott will be potent, with Yeboah and Adam on the bench to provide youthful spark in the last 20.

We have depth everywhere. The only player we can’t afford to lose to injury is Schwegler.

It was a great effort by our boys, but frankly, Victory were very average apart from Kamsoba. What I did admire though was the nearly continuous backing they got from their fans - apart from a short period of boos. They must all be feeling pretty disheartened, as Traore was the only near fit quality player of theirs missing. Kruse and 'quality' should not even be mentioned in the same sentence - though I just have!

I had my doubts about Kurz combining with Victory. Had they been the Victory of old, we would have had a more difficult night. We can be delighted with the way our team is coming together - emotionally, tactically and in combinations, but we should not get ahead of ourselves. There will be much sterner tests to come.

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

It's been years since the first thing on my mind on waking up was the Wanderers performance the night before....and feeling absolutely elated about it.

To grit and mentality, it feels like last night,  we added momentum.

And I don't even feel like adding a "But time will tell..." to it.

It just feels like it's there.

Momentum is largely about self belief...and that was evident in absolutely every aspect of that game. On  and off the pitch, and now here amobgst supporters.

I'd almost forgetten how fantastic it feels!

But this feels familiar.

:):)

:grouphug: it took me a while to settle to sleep last night.

It puts an extra length in your stride and makes you smile that little bit more on a morning like this.

I dont even want to think about the last 3 years...just very excited about this season.

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

:grouphug: it took me a while to settle to sleep last night.

It puts an extra length in your stride 

:o Extra length in YOUR stride?

I've seen you striding out of the stadium after the Adelaide GF loss....and that would be an impressive  sight indeed! :lol:

26 minutes ago, wendybr said:

It's been years since the first thing on my mind on waking up was the Wanderers performance the night before....and feeling absolutely elated about it.

To grit and mentality, it feels like last night,  we added momentum.

And I don't even feel like adding a "But time will tell..." to it.

It just feels like it's there.

Momentum is largely about self belief...and that was evident in absolutely every aspect of that game. On  and off the pitch, and now here amobgst supporters.

I'd almost forgetten how fantastic it feels!

But this feels familiar.

:):)

What a beautiful start to the day and weekend!

Like you Wendy, been a long time since I have felt this good after a Wanderers win!

Is Christmas here already!

Something else from last night's game...which might  well have occurred in the Leeds game and the game vs the Mariners , but I haven't  watched replays of either...

I used to hate seeing MB sitting down at games last year. With arms folded. In retreat it seemed.

I guess he felt rather helpless with the team we had then, but I kept thinking, "Get up and interact with your players!! Yell directions at them... guide them!!

But I loved seeing him on his feet, talking to/ directing players last night. He looked comfortable and  in control.

3 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Ok, let's get some reality in here. It wasn't tactics or team selection or luck. In the end wot did it was the Irish Dancing just ask Wendy.

That was an awesome quote by Wendy..'needs more Irish dancing' has to be used again :D

Need to get Michael Flatley ( of river dance fame) on the defense coaching staff...

Edited by Smoggy

It’s a nice start long way to go. The excitement is hard to contain given the past 3 years of trash, so no wonder the team and the forum is buzzing again 😉

I see a team that understands their purpose and has fantastic discipline and more importantly that want to fight - babbel mentioned this last season - you have to want to fight first and foremost. 

not much more to say our imports look like they are all potential for A-League team on the season honours off form and we know about the local experienced guys. 

sulliivan was ineffective last week and last night he was incredible at times, wilmering looks like a 10 year veteran and hows is Mo Adam with spectator overhead haha 😂 

It is hard to contain oneself, ill wait one more week good performance against the smurfs and I’ll be ready to explode. 

FCB is looking like a forum god 😂

10 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Ok, let's get some reality in here. It wasn't tactics or team selection or luck. In the end wot did it was the Irish Dancing just ask Wendy.

I actually went looking for a clip of Irish dancing, with arms pinned behind their backs , yet the dancers still able to leap into the air....somewhat...to suggest as a training video for the team <jokes>. :lol:

Then got a bit distracted.

But more preparatiions are probably needed to avoid these "handball" situations that have led to goals in the last few games.

:lol::lol: