Wanderers Storm Melbourne For 3 Points

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I went looking for a clip of Irish dancing, with arms pinned behind their backs , yet the dancers still able to leap into the air....somewhat...to suggest as a training video for the team. :lol:

Then got a bit distracted.

But this actually mightn't be a bad idea, to avoid these "handball" situations that have led to goals in the last few games.

:lol::lol:

You have to feel a bit sorry for McGowan there.....first to the ball and then head it on to your own arm......just bad luck. 

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, lloydy136 said:

That was a tactical masterclass by the boss.

4 at the back relaxed everyone, flooded midfield but held our shape and cut off passing options and made them try to play through us and they could not. The pen gave them a lifeline they didn't deserve and that sparked the hectic last 15 min but that aside we posed questions they couldn't answer - they badly lack creativity in central midfield.

I know Mo makes mistakes but I would be sticking with that front 3 for now - his ability to get in behind combined with AM strength and technique is a tough combination for defences to handle.

Too many other good performances to list but special mention to Duke. His work rate was through the roof.

Bring on those smug pricks next week - we are ******* due.

Great performance but probably not a technical masterclass .Every man and his dog on this forum was suggesting we go to 4 at the back . 

10 minutes ago, TheSweeper said:

Great performance but probably not a technical masterclass .Every man and his dog on this forum was suggesting we go to 4 at the back . 

Not all. Use the formation that works.

MB and staff obviously looked the R1 Melb Derby and saw that Heartle$$ near got the chocolates. The Vuck probably set up for 3 CBs and 2 WBs and were caught out

ESFC will play their usual 4-2-2-2 next week and either formation will do the job if our boys win the ball and move forward. But Corica won't know what he is facing till 1 hour before the game.

We could a blitzkrieg with Meier and Muller at front (depending on Muller's fitness). Watch the Smurfs go for tactical fouling. 

Edited by Paul01
Correction
1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

Not all. Use the formation that works.

MB and staff obviously looked the R1 Melb Derby and saw that Heartle$$ near got the chocolates. The Vuck probably set up for 3 CBs and 2 WBs and were caught out

ESFC will play their usual 4-2-2-2 next week and either formation will do the job if our boys win the ball and move forward. But Corica won't know what he is facing till 1 hour before the game.

We could a blitzkrieg with Meier and Muller at front (depending on Miller's fitness). Watch the Smurfs go for tactical fouling. 

Agree when you play well either formation works and a lot of players played better this week . 

37 minutes ago, TheSweeper said:

It is not just the switch to 3 at the back. It was having the extra cover of duke and mo tracking back like mad men to helpcover those nabbout wide runs, it was pressing like mad for 10 seconds after we lose the ball and then dropping in to a very disciplined shape, letting their cb and dms have the ball and dare them to play through a packed midfield (they couldn't).

It all worked and limited them to a couple of half chances for the game.

Babbel clearly out thought kurz imho.

9 hours ago, TheSweeper said:

Yep should be a duke assist . What a player probably one of the least skilful in the league but he makes things happen . Can’t buy that quality coaches know it but fans rarely see it . 

He’s far from the least skilful, for example his header last week, that ain’t easy

5 hours ago, btron3000 said:

I don’t think Babel cares about what’s happened in past games, he’ll just change the lineup according to what he thinks he needs and what he sees in training.

Provided same formation, if Ziggy is fit and looking sharper than McGowan then he goes in. If back three, he slots in alongside Jurman and McG. 

And it’s pretty hard to imagine that Muller won’t provide more than Adam who, though a good talent, makes tactical mistakes still and occasionally has a poor touch which lets him down.

A front three of Duke, Muller and the Fussballgott will be potent, with Yeboah and Adam on the bench to provide youthful spark in the last 20.

We have depth everywhere. The only player we can’t afford to lose to injury is Schwegler.

Any decent BL2 attacker would have a major impact in the HAL - the league that was one bridge too far for Maclaren and Berisha.

But: both AMFG and Mueller are/were outstanding BL1 attackers, for a decade at least, and picture book football pros. It will show as the season progresses, AMFG and Mueller will tear the HAL a new one.

The bosses presser:

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/video/babbel-it-a-different-season-us-press-conference-hyundai-a-league

Babbel's pressers are like his head gear..on point, not happy first 15 minutes but boys came good, the young guys have quality mentors around them unlike last year, mentions Muller may not make derby, Aussie pats knee is ok but still having issues, has to work on winning back the supporters

10 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'm worried we haven't heard from Ed yet, bet he is running riot around Melbourne loaded up on single malt...

All good, post match settled in at The Nixon with andypk and others, enjoying Mercury cider on tap, amongst a pub otherwise full of Victory supporters.

Starting to really believe again after 3 years in the wilderness.....not going into the derby with absolute dread for a change.  Get a result against the smurf chunts next week and I will buy and wear a flat cap in honour of MB..

Form usually goes out the door a bit in most derby's. Hopefully the usual poor refereeing and associated smurf bias will not be be such a factor next week..

Hopefully the big  footballing god will be with us ...certainly considering we have a german disciple in our team....

10 hours ago, wendybr said:

I'm softening towards it...just a little.

But I doubt he'll be wearing it on 35 degree aternoons in Perth or Adelaide in a month or two.:lol:

I'm sure he will find an equally elegant bucket hat as a sensible replacement. And then you'll have nothing to complain about...........

3 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I'm sure he will find an equally elegant bucket hat as a sensible replacement. And then you'll have nothing to complain about...........

Lololol...there is nothing good to say about bucket hats... except maybe that they are silly, and silly can be fun/ good, in the right circumstances. ;)

:D:D