Duke Wins Derby

6 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Lots of people claiming the Cove were louder than RBB on the TV, can anyone confirm.  I was kind of close to the cove end, but I could still hear the RBB pretty loudly.

I think the location of the Cove on the 2nd Tier may have amplified their chanting. I think that was the main reason for them sounding so loud as they had the room directly over them.

8 hours ago, Zakman said:

I think the location of the Cove on the 2nd Tier may have amplified their chanting. I think that was the main reason for them sounding so loud as they had the room directly over them.

The Cove can sound loud anywhere - they ARE loud.

But in watching the replay, I thought it was non stop RBB - who sounded incredibly loud all game. I don't think I've ever heard the RBB so loud on the TV before.

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

It's common to compare someone with incredible reflexes to a cat - and you guys would have much more experience that I do at watching football.

But he has the reflexes of a cat! He's INCREDIBLE!!! and I don't think I've ever seen a better/more  flawless GK performance.

And didn't he look thrilled at the end of the game. I heard nothing of his stadium interview - but he looked so happy!

He a decent solid keeper..of the kind we have been crying out for. I was watching him position his wall for a free kick and he was giving a few hell...which a keeper should...communication vital...then took up the position he should. It is doing all the basics right, which after the disaster of Vedran is just what we needed.

Gives confidence to our defence also..to know you have a decent keeper behind you.

2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

He a decent solid keeper..of the kind we have been crying out for. I was watching him position his wall for a free kick and he was giving a few hell...which a keeper should...communication vital...then took up the position he should. It is doing all the basics right, which after the disaster of Vedran is just what we needed.

Gives confidence to our defence also..to know you have a decent keeper behind you.

In his post-match interview he pointed out it was he first clean sheet. Must have been playing on mind the goal in both round 1 & 2

58 minutes ago, wendybr said:

And there you have exactly what I've observed, and tried to say, a dozen times - both at the old stadium, and at this one.

That's where I sat at the Leeds game, and found the same thing, where people said the RBB was loud, but I barely heard them.  :(

Past half way, you really just don't hear a lot of the RBB. You cannot participate even in clapping in unison. THAT was actually even a problem midway to the half way line at the other end of the pitch.

Last night the RBB was MASSIVE! Beyond Brilliant! So, for what they were pumping out last night not to have travelled much past the half way line before it "dissipated into the either" says it all.

And that's why, if anyone, like me, dreams of a stadium wide anything, especially a walkout song (one that everyone can participate in past half way, and especially at the Southern end) it will have to go through the PA system. 

It's as simple as that.

Maybe people at that end don't care - but if they're to be included even once or twice in a game - say at walkout, and joining in the Woo Hoos for the goal celebration, that's the only way it will happen.

I agree with Wendy and Taurus' comments on the sound/noise. After being at the Leeds game I wrote that the ground really needs over 20,000 football fans to have atmosphere. From an access and visual perspective, it is certainly a great place to watch football, but Taurus is right: a closed roof stadium is probably the only way to maximise the noise. Let's face it, in terms of noise, things won't get much better than last night at Bankwest.

38 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

:huh:

:nea:

"Decent" and "solid" are the only 2 adjectives you can come up with Smoggy??

Come on!! :P

:D:D

Lets not get all nostalgic about the old Parra Stadium being a cauldron. Yes it rocked on big nights, but as someone who spent a fair bit of time with the lad down the south end the majority of the time you could hear nothing, you could just see RBB arm movement. It was similar in the East stand beyond the half way to the South. 

I wasnt above the RBB last night.. but i was in the RBB half...thought it was very loud indeed and those around me were active enough. Who do we sing for was amazing and stadium wide poznan again..well most people did.

I wonder if those sitting further down the south end were closer to the RBB at the old Parra and might want to think about moving back closer.

Edited by Smoggy
3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If your a decent solid bloke then that is top praise indeed if your from the Boro.:D

:lol: Well- it's not good enough for Western Sydney and Daniel Lopar - after a game like that!

Come on - you can give us a "fantastic" or "brilliant", can't you - just this once? :lol:

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

:lol: Wel l- it's not good enough for Western Sydney and Daniel Lopar - after a game like that!

Come on - you can give us a "fantastic" or "brilliant", can't you - just this once? :lol:

It was fantastcally brilliant....apart from when we scored and i accidentally threw my mobile in the air...which thankfully went straight up in the air rather than 5 rows forward...and didnt break...phew 

Edited by Smoggy
5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

It was fantastcally brilliant....apart from when we scored and i accidentally threw my mobile in the air...which thankfully went straight up in the air rather than 5 rows forward...and didnt break someone's skull ...phew 

^^ Fixed - and.....that's much better! :good:

1 minute ago, sonar said:

Another takeout from last night's game is that we WILL get better.......a lot better...........ESFC won't.....lol

The Moaning Mullet was their best.....so glad he got yellow carded.

Thing is..we might play better in the next derby and not win. Its pretty clear ESFC will be in the finals shake up at the season end, they are still a decent side.

Perhaps we are heading for a derby Grand Final. Wouldn't that be something.

Muller and Zeigler into the starting line up next week will be amazing.

ziggy-Jurman-Mcgowan as a back three is tasty. My only concern about that is a Mcgowan magically became his old self when we went to a back 4. I’m hoping it’s not the extra space in the back 3 that’s making him play like crap. We will see.

The our midfield is Best Baccus, Schwegler and Muller. That’s a vast improvement on what we had to cobble together last night with 2 strikers playing in the midfield (Yeboah and Duke).

That allows duke to play upfront and do all the chasing and that Meier can’t.

Hopefully Brisbane is about to cop the pointy end of a very sharp stick.

Yeah, they dominated possession and made a lot of chances but we defended supremely. Always a body in the way or the irrepressible Lopar. 

Shame about Sullivan but Mo Adam did alright. 

Yeboah looked gassed early in the second half and was giving Retre a tonne of space, but by then the smurfs were out if ideas and luck. 

Duke is amazing for us. Strong, aggressive and helped keep Grubby Grant in check. 

Finally Meier was important last night, his composure late in the match, his classy hold up play and feeding the quick boys around looks promising.

All the sour smurfs walking the streets with their heads down was a great feeling post match. 

10 minutes ago, ptwsw said:

Season 1 people, can feel it, smell it even.

Beautiful but ugly at the same time. Luck has finally come our way, how many Derbies have we played and the scum have had the rub of the green. The football gods, have created and finally have smiled on us!

Ref A+.

Shwegler 😍 Lopar😍 

The main difference between this and season one. Is we are already winning. Nothing fills stadiums better that a winning team.

Still get confused about SOLD OUT sign when there are tons of empty batches of seats around the ground, there were hundreds above the cove end, do people really buy tickets /memberships and not turn up? that many?

can get the odd Sydney fan dotted around, family work friend etc, but there were a hell of a lot of them, surely they would have preferred to be in those available seats at cove end, no way in hell would i like to be seated in the middle of away fans, probably end up doing a 'smoggy' ( :-) no offence mate)

Interesting comments from @Taurus and @wendybr regarding the noise not travelling. 

being in the RBB it seemed awfully load, first half was really good second half died out a bit (still need match conditioning 😉)

i would have hoped it would be better for all, but it would explain would I heard the cove only once all night haha I thought they went from 75 mins rest breaks to 89 mins 😂

6 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Interesting comments from @Taurus and @wendybr regarding the noise not travelling. 

being in the RBB it seemed awfully load, first half was really good second half died out a bit (still need match conditioning 😉)

i would have hoped it would be better for all, but it would explain would I heard the cove only once all night haha I thought they went from 75 mins rest breaks to 89 mins 😂

Didn't think it died at all in the 2nd half - you were all brilliant all game. And LOUD.

Maybe the openings at the back of each stand allow the breeze in....and the sound out??

Someone with a background in Physics can no doubt explain it - and it's probably the same in any stadium.... but the strong sound ends by the half way line. Or it did at the old stadium, and it does at our new one as well.

Which is sad for those past the half way line if they want to soak up the atmosphere, and want to participate.

Only time heard the cove when break and shift from song to song from RBB, as if they were waiting for the break so they could be heard but soon as RBB started up the next song they soon dissipated and stopped.

Walkout and WDWSF and poznan were waaaay better attempts from previous years, slowly but surely the whole ground buzz IS coming back!

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic