Duke Wins Derby

A really good win.  I agree that the stats are largely with SFC (except the only one that matters - we got more goals!) and they played very well.  They were the more attacking side and had the large part of the possession.

BUT, our defence was superior to theirs and Jurman, McGowan, Lopar were brilliantly solid.  With Schwegler in front of them, DG and Wilmering wide, we really defended hard and tough.  We tackled hard and Schwegler, in particular provided some thumping tackles. I wonder if our solid, sometimes desperate defence put extra pressure on the SFC attack?  I wonder if we need to give much credit for their poor finishing to some incredible pressure from our defenders??!!  We assume that they were shooting 1-1 in a vacuum and there was no pressure but our boys were piling on pressure and standing pretty firm.  SFC made some great plays to break through but perhaps the pressure was still there!

The only player who really looked like he was confident of scoring was Duke.  He ran fast, strong and deliberately, pointing forward to Georgevski to put it where he wanted it and hammered that ball so hard that the Wiggle reacted after if bounced off the net and nearly hit coming back.  Duke was full of confidence attacking that ball and there was no pressure from their defence.  That seems to be the difference!

I am not a journo never been one but do have some experience on soccer maybe not as much as some perceive themself's  to have but let the unlearned one explain, 

We got five in the team of the week because obviously played a style of game that worked, we got the goal and Babbel when defensive , not pretty but he felt he had the defensive players to carry us through and along with some luck he was proven right our defense from a formation to skill level was head and shoulders above SFS because

We scored , they couldn't Ninkovic looked good but failed to achieve either setting up a goal or scoring one , we let Ninkovic run at us as part of Babbel's plan , the fact that he scored no goals or setup up a goal matters in the eyes of the knowledge ones.

Did the Pommie have a shot on goal ?

Ninkovic  1 hit the bar , he was not good enough to score ,1 into the corner from close up on the right Lopar to good 

Greek Kiwi was the most dangerous and hit the post not good enough , 1 on 1 with Lopar not good enough,  blasted one wide not good enough  

Baumjohan was ok with some through balls to the wingers but was no good otherwise Bratton , O'neil and the Moaning mullet all had long range shots but not good enough  Schwegler and Jurman owned them 

their defense failed to nullify our attack we got a goal.

Football is not all about looking pretty lets look at the first 3 games and Babbel has played a different formation in each game he has results with a team far from fit and injuries

I suppose the fact Lopar could only get 1 on the list of best saves says it all 

The last 20 minutes SFS ran out of ideas

Babbel is proving himself to be a master tactician in my eyes and I can't until when we can put Georgeivski back on the left and bring in  Kamau,  Ziggler not sure where he will fit  and Muller with 2 dots who should fill the number 10 role perfectly .

Sullivan has been good but Muller will go to another level.

Any news on Sullivan's injury.

21 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

A really good win.  I agree that the stats are largely with SFC (except the only one that matters - we got more goals!) and they played very well.  They were the more attacking side and had the large part of the possession.

BUT, our defence was superior to theirs and Jurman, McGowan, Lopar were brilliantly solid.  With Schwegler in front of them, DG and Wilmering wide, we really defended hard and tough.  We tackled hard and Schwegler, in particular provided some thumping tackles. I wonder if our solid, sometimes desperate defence put extra pressure on the SFC attack?  I wonder if we need to give much credit for their poor finishing to some incredible pressure from our defenders??!!  We assume that they were shooting 1-1 in a vacuum and there was no pressure but our boys were piling on pressure and standing pretty firm.  SFC made some great plays to break through but perhaps the pressure was still there!

The only player who really looked like he was confident of scoring was Duke.  He ran fast, strong and deliberately, pointing forward to Georgevski to put it where he wanted it and hammered that ball so hard that the Wiggle reacted after if bounced off the net and nearly hit coming back.  Duke was full of confidence attacking that ball and there was no pressure from their defence.  That seems to be the difference!

Their defence wasn't really tested, Redmayne was the most lonely person in the ground. But yes, the defensive performance by the whole team was outstanding, PS19's performance will be remembered for years, as will be Duke's goal. 

I didn't expect the Smurfs to play as well as they did. But we fielded three youngsters and only three imports while they had all four imports and no youth player in their starting 11, and it showed. But once Lopar saved against Kosta in the second half, they looked beaten. 

Massive result for the club at large. 

3 minutes ago, FCB said:

Their defence wasn't really tested, Redmayne was the most lonely person in the ground. But yes, the defensive performance by the whole team was outstanding, PS19's performance will be remembered for years, as will be Duke's goal. 

I didn't expect the Smurfs to play as well as they did. But we fielded three youngsters and only three imports while they had all four imports and no youth player in their starting 11, and it showed. But once Lopar saved against Kosta in the second half, they looked beaten. 

And without a Raddy replacement. 

2 hours ago, FCB said:

For me, that save was a magnificent piece of goalkeeping and is a far better example of Lopar's quality than the reflex saves. Firstly, as Kosta received the ball, Lopar moved back to his line, then, Kosta took a touch or two, and then, with perfect timing, Lopar moved forward within a yard of Kosta and so closed down the shooting options to the extent the shot had to be perfect (or better)! And then the easy bit - reflexes good enough to block the shot. As good as Lopar was with his other saves and overall performance, that save was sublimely "set up" and executed!

Perhaps another example of the same skill was forcing Ninkovic to chip him but only hit the bar.

Anyone else see In safe standing area (bay 125) a couple of young ladies wearIng  traditional German girl beer outfits . 
If only they were allowed to go to bar and bring back a couple of stein’s for us . 

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

For me, that save was a magnificent piece of goalkeeping and is a far better example of Lopar's quality than the reflex saves. Firstly, as Kosta received the ball, Lopar moved back to his line, then, Kosta took a touch or two, and then, with perfect timing, Lopar moved forward within a yard of Kosta and so closed down the shooting options to the extent the shot had to be perfect (or better)! And then the easy bit - reflexes good enough to block the shot. As good as Lopar was with his other saves and overall performance, that save was sublimely "set up" and executed!

Perhaps another example of the same skill was forcing Ninkovic to chip him but only hit the bar.

Didn't Lopar get a touch forcing the ball onto the crossbar with Ninkovic?

49 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Taurus thanks for the news on Sullivan's injury hope Muller can step up soon

Mitch Duke missing from Training yesterday Morning any news ??

Mitch was taking it easy after his effort on Saturday.

For more details you’ll have to get JT or MB to give you clearance lol

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic