2013-14   8

2014-15   1

2015-16   4

2016-17   5

2017-18   6

2018-19   5

2019-20   10

Yes, doom and gloom.

We aren’t doom and gloom about the season. I’m very excited about our table position.

Some of us are very frustrated at the output by some players. And then the fact that we have very little depth, only made worse by the fact we’ve gone into the season with 2 spare squad spots unused.

Add to that an extremely clear injury problem that we have. Anyone denying a clear gap in fitness at this point either has their head in the sand or quite literally believes in the existence of the injury fairy. 

12 minutes ago, matty said:

On the "output of some players"... What is up with Yeboah? He was terrible. Meier isn't improving in general play either... Concerning. 

Meier is very isolated, nothing going through him much, there is no link up between midfield and the forwards, or between the defense for that matter, its just all very disjointed. Unless we find a way to click we won't stay near the top long, someone eventually is going to give us a good spanking....its coming..

Edited by Smoggy

Needs to be said that whilst we were pretty ordinary the heat/humidity out there must’ve been a bugger for Meier, we lost Schwegler after 15 mins or so, the ref was fücking woeful, & when Müller came in you could see the quality improve.

Disappointed we didn’t do much better, but again last season this would’ve been a game we would’ve lost. We’ve dropped 2 points playing spotty football & it’s obvious there is still much development to come. Would we rather we lose 2-3 at home and play like geniuses after only four rounds of a long season, or grind out results & keep near or on top?

Until we sort out the number 10 situation, we will face the same struggles. Yeboah was weak, again, looked lost without the ball and over playing with it.

Definitely better with Müller on but without Schwegler, we lacked steel in deep midfield. 

Injuries are a definite concern and as we've seen in the past, can make or break you in this league. 

What are Yeboah's strengths? His decision makng and passing is poor, he rarely gets away from his man. I will be shocked if he scores or assists a goal. Mo Adams always impresses when he comes on, not sure why he is behind in the pecking order. Id rather see Duke on the end of crosses rather than delivering them. There's much love for Wilmering, but i think Kamau offers a lot more in attack, particularly if Zeigler makes a back 3.

Just now, Smoggy said:

Meier is very isolated, nothing going through him much, the is no link up between midfield and the forwards, or between the defense for that matter, its just all very disjointed. Unless we find a way to click we won't stay near the top long, someone eventually is going to give us a good spanking....its coming..

Notice in the last 20 mins Müller got the ball into Meier, but Fußballgott was a bit lethargic in his finishing. Hopefully that’ll get better.

AMFG needs service, much like Riera. But Baccus just wants to do little turns and pass it sideways, Grozos didn’t hear the whistle to actually start the game, and as much as I like to see a young kid come through the ranks, Wilmering offers absolutely zero going forward.

Someone is going to give us a hiding if the midfield doesn’t switch on and actually put in a shift (Schwegler excluded). 

the biggest problem that i can see is lack of forward movement in midfield. there is no one to get between the lines and make runs forward/diagonal and receive the ball on the move in the way that say nichols or nico would in previous teams.

in a 3 man midfield the generic sort of roles are one to get it, one to give it and one to go - ie a ball-winner, ball-player and a runner/box to box player. we really miss the 3rd type of player at the moment - all midfield options whenever anyone looks up to pass are static players, usually square or backwards.

until we get some movement forwards both with and without the ball from someone in midfield, we are going to look very pedestrian, especially against teams like the roar who played 5 at the back to prevent us overlapping and attacking in wide areas.

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Meier is very isolated, nothing going through him much, there is no link up between midfield and the forwards, or between the defense for that matter, its just all very disjointed. Unless we find a way to click we won't stay near the top long, someone eventually is going to give us a good spanking....its coming..

Yeah I saw the isolation but honestly, at times he had space to move into, but he just didn't. He jogs back and forth along the front line and that's it. Did he break into an actual run all game? 

3 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

the biggest problem that i can see is lack of forward movement in midfield. there is no one to get between the lines and make runs forward/diagonal and receive the ball on the move in the way that say nichols or nico would in previous teams.

in a 3 man midfield the generic sort of roles are one to get it, one to give it and one to go - ie a ball-winner, ball-player and a runner/box to box player. we really miss the 3rd type of player at the moment - all midfield options whenever anyone looks up to pass are static players, usually square or backwards.

until we get some movement forwards both with and without the ball from someone in midfield, we are going to look very pedestrian, especially against teams like the roar who played 5 at the back to prevent us overlapping and attacking in wide areas.

I think that's right. Grozo played very high even when we were struggling to play out. And when we did get up on the flanks, he rarely offered himself just aimlessly hovering in the middle. 

Müller made a difference but you can tell he is comfortable working the edges around the box more than pivoting the front 3. At least he offered himself to DG tried to link up with Yeboah and Meier. 

Just got home after dropping a visiting overseas family home....that was dire. Wouldn’t have invited people if I’d known we’d make last week’s game between Roar and Victory look entertaining! Seriously no creativity in midfield, too much lateral movement and just not enough mongrel in one on one tussles. The number of times we were muscled off the ball or got on the wrong side of the player we were marking was embarrassing. It’s only one week but it better not continue coz we will be fighting for sixth place if it does. 

Hopefully it’s just the effect the Roar have on oppositions - they were awful and we tried to play down to their level.

8 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

Just got home after dropping a visiting overseas family home....that was dire. Wouldn’t have invited people if I’d known we’d make last week’s game between Roar and Victory look entertaining! Seriously no creativity in midfield, too much lateral movement and just not enough mongrel in one on one tussles. The number of times we were muscled off the ball or got on the wrong side of the player we were marking was embarrassing. It’s only one week but it better not continue coz we will be fighting for sixth place if it does. 

Hopefully it’s just the effect the Roar have on oppositions - they were awful and we tried to play down to their level.

I think the Roar need some credit for being well organized without the ball and committing nearly no unforced errors in defense. They were always set up and had every man behind the ball nearly every time they lost possession. Yeah they lack skilled players but our skilled players did nothing to stretch them out of shape. 

Edited by Redwog
15 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

Yes Lloydy, you've articulated it exactly,  especially the bold.  

I dont want to see a season of us defending and passing side and back, but not pushing forward. We must be controling the game more scoring goals. Im watching victory vs WU and theynare bloody going for it. A great game of football.

Also again our turnover of possessionis farrrking woeful. Its bgrade level passing. So wasteful especially when we've not scored a goal for 80mins.

• mack locked this topic