Wanderers Unbeaten Run Ends In Geelong

My favourite part of the whole 'VAR did it cross or didn't it' debacle was the dodgy mousepaint lines they drew on the screen weren't even done in the right spot - they were in the middle of the line! Comedy stuff.

My second favourite part was picturing the smurf fan blowing up in their lounge room throwing things around when the goal wasn't given just like their's wasn't - aside from duke's goal that mental image was probably the highlight of the game for mine.

I reckon it should be noted that we have reached the point where the only people left advocating for VAR as a good thing are drawing a wage either directly from the game or from the broadcaster.

Edited by lloydy136

The lack of a proper 10 is still concerning. Still haven’t found the answer there. Seems we are just playing musical chairs, rotating guys through until we find one.

Add that to the fact that we spent all preseason playing 3ATB and we’ve now decided to shift to 4ATB. We have 4 awesome CBs to use in a 3ATB. That would free up DG to get forward, where to be honest he’s been one of the best attacking threats. 

Saying a 4ATB suits AM better doesn’t really mean much if he’s just playing lateral passes in the midfield. I’m sure Babs has something in mind but I don’t need to be a helicopter pilot to know when I see a chopper stuck in a tree, something has gone wrong.

The week off is probably a good thing at the point. Disappointing, but we will be dropping to outright 4th but at least there will be no more excusing lacklustre performances with “we are top of the league”.

On a positive note, Duke is ******* mint

I was watching on my mobile with the sound off so... maybe I missed something obvious and everything.

But..

If someone could explain to me how this:

753771_640x360_large_20191109210940.jpg

Could be conclusive EITHER WAY, I'd appreciate it. Forget about where the line is drawn and all that - just look at it. There is zero chance of accurately saying whether it's gone over or not, from what I saw. Like I said, maybe I just missed some angle or whatever. But it should be simple. The AR calls it. VAR can have a very quick check to see if there is an obvious error. If they have conclusive proof - which, with this one, and the derby one, to my mind, there isn't - just tell the ref, and that should be it. If there isn't - just carry on. Instead of all the shouting and standing around and everything else for several minutes and the ridiculous pantomime of the ref going over to watch a screen himself (how can he see better than the VAR official in a quiet room?). And remember how VAR was supposed to get rid of players getting in the refs face? Yeah...

My "favorite" parts of the game.

1. VAR that doesn't understand 5th grader geometry.

2. Slaters inability to have a single positive, constructive thing to say about our team or imports ever. It literally makes watching a poor performance feel like your spending 'quality' time with your step father.

3. The fact that we have multiple bundesliga standard players but play like the Cowra U12 district team. They didn't have Berisha and lost Kone. We should have punished them.

4. That Diamanti is allowed to put on multiple Oscar performances, and put the refs right in his pocket. Just give him the whistle.

5. Rudan. That guys a pr*ck. Always has been, irrespective of whether he poached players in contract. Hate losing to that guy.

6. That every former player has something to prove against us, and often does.

I think the shape we played with Meier in behind a front 2 was an attempt to remedy our season long issue of the number 10. We don't have a reliable, available outlet there. The Pole got crook, Sullivan injured, Grozos overawed, so perhaps with the 4222 shape it was hoped Meier could hold up and distribute to a more mobile Muller. It got cancelled out.

It didn't happen. Maybe with DG and Wilmering pegged back by their attack and the masterful Diamante, the lack of overlap meant little movement and few options. 

My view is, until we have someone able to command the middle of the park like Diamente does for them, or Ninkovic, Castro does for the others we will struggle. If Schewgler or Baccus can't get up the park or DG or Wilmering can't overlap, the Duke, Yebs and Meier will always have slim pickings. 

8 hours ago, Beer said:

That’s cool dude maybe we can trade it back for the 3 points. I know what I’d rather 

Ask Babbel for the three points. We've got no control over the pitch. We can only deal with what's in front of us. All power to those that travelled,  marched and endured a three to one police security ratio. Our luck ran out but we'll be a slow burn welding this squad together. Watching Derby gift Forest a win afterwards didn't help. 

I think we improved on what we dished out against Brisbane last week (final score aside).

Ball movement from defense to midfield was much better, but we need to work out what to do with it once in the final third. The final third is not working because we still don't know how to utilise Alex Meier and Muller, nether were involved enough and we need them to be be.

Some of the individual performances were better too. Baccus was thinking a lot quicker on the ball, Wilmering did a good job on Risdon and I don't recall any major mistakes or suicides passes from McGowan.

I don't think Alex at 10 worked well, but at least its good to know that MB is trying to work out best option up front.

At least we have #Mentality 

On a serious note, anyone listen to Babbels presser...? (Fox web site is shyte on my laptop takes forever to load so couldn't be bothered going there.)

Edited by sonar
28 minutes ago, DamnedUnited said:

Ask Babbel for the three points. We've got no control over the pitch. We can only deal with what's in front of us. All power to those that travelled,  marched and endured a three to one police security ratio. Our luck ran out but we'll be a slow burn welding this squad together. Watching Derby gift Forest a win afterwards didn't help. 

The away support looked solid! Well done to you and all that travelled 

25 minutes ago, sonar said:

At least we have #Mentality 

On a serious note, anyone listen to Babbels presser...? (Fox web site is shyte on my laptop takes forever to load so couldn't be bothered going there.)

Don't bother it's not there.... Rudan' s is but not Babble ..... maybe he didn't show up.... pretty much like his team

1 hour ago, marron said:

But it should be simple. The AR calls it. VAR can have a very quick check to see if there is an obvious error. If they have conclusive proof - which, with this one, and the derby one, to my mind, there isn't - just tell the ref, and that should be it. If there isn't - just carry on. Instead of all the shouting and standing around and everything else for several minutes and the ridiculous pantomime of the ref going over to watch a screen himself (how can he see better than the VAR official in a quiet room?). And remember how VAR was supposed to get rid of players getting in the refs face? Yeah...

Oh dude. I’ve been saying this one here - and elsewhere, I even had an email published on one of the Guardian’s World Cup live blogs in the buildup to a game - since they introduced it. Just give the VAR a time limit to prove the call was wrong. That’s it. Then if it gets stopped they know it’s being overturned. This would do a number of things:

• Put the onus back on the ref and AR without the need for the pantomime 
  • Only overturn clearly wrong decisions
  • No point getting in the face of the ref
  • Fans at the ground aren’t standing around waiting, not knowing what’s going on
  • No impact on the flow of the game if call not reversed 

It’s so ******* obvious this needs to happen (or just scrap and go with GLT only). But FIFA are too busy trying to look like they’re not still corrupt to worry about a little thing like THE RULES OF THE ******* GAME.

Edited by btron3000

I also don’t get how they can say for sure that someone is offside using the technology they have. If they can’t tell if a ball is over the line that is painted there then how can they tell if a body part is ahead of another one on the other side of the field?

18 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

The away support looked solid! Well done to you and all that travelled 

Indeed...lots of time, money and effort goes in to following the lads around the country. Doesn't sound like Geelong put on much of a welcome what with the weather and local police and all, plus the **** spotless type ground. I am still tempted to go to Ballarat next year mind.

Hopefully Babbel will have things sorted by then ! We look disjointed..Babbel doesn't know how to blend the German experience with the rest of the squad, looks like he doesn't have a clue what the best system is. No link between defense,  mid and attack. Yeboah may need some time out.

Could, perhaps should have been 3 or 4 -1.

Hate bye's / breaks....what will i do without a game next week, what is this purgatory Babbel and co have left me in to mull this over for 2 weeks. :(

By Christ that was disappointing, basics of football passing............ i would like to see some passing...... please, atm we cannot seem to hold the ball and construct a passing game, i'm baffled, i thought we were better than that.

Whatever is happening on those training pitches midweek, i hope it gets intensified by ten, this has to improve, by contrast WU were very decent they will be top four this year wish we had that Diamnti fella he's class.

21 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Indeed...lots of time, money and effort goes in to following the lads around the country. Doesn't sound like Geelong put on much of a welcome what with the weather and local police and all, plus the **** spotless type ground. I am still tempted to go to Ballarat next year mind.

Hopefully Babbel will have things sorted by then ! We look disjointed..Babbel doesn't know how to blend the German experience with the rest of the squad, looks like he doesn't have a clue what the best system is. No link between defense,  mid and attack. Yeboah may need some time out.

Could, perhaps should have been 3 or 4 -1.

Hate bye's / breaks....what will i do without a game next week, what is this purgatory Babbel and co have left me in to mull this over for 2 weeks. :(

Quick trip to Jordan, football match Friday night. Spend the weekend seeing the sights.

Match highlights:

The array of police for the march, with a troop of mounted cavalry held in reserve to our left.

The ballboy behind the goal at the away end doing jumps/exercises & imaginary stepovers to keep warm.

The black security bloke walking down the steps with a huge smile waving his arms to get us to step down off the seats. (And we did ex the capo).

The kerfuffle when security decided the capo had to stop standing on the seats as well. While the capo left his position to put his case everyone else stood on their seats. Resolved satisfactorily. 

Oh, and Mitch's goal.

I didn't have high hopes for this match. However, the boys provided some great football 15 minutes in and then that was it, felt like I was watching the Wanderers in an ACL group stage again where our opponents have up to 70% possession.

Here's some things I think that needs to be addressed.

- 22 fouls conceded...that's way too many (even though the ref was a massive whistle blower last night, both Appiah and Diamanti diving was beyond a joke).

- The 4-2-2-2 line up felt like a few players seemed out of position (Meier and Muller in particular, Have Muller as our CAM and just let him sprint in the middle and then Meier in the box for a header or kick).

- It seems Jurman is missed, hope he returns for the game against City

- WU's stadium is shithouse

The bye next week provides pro's and con's:

Pro's: Hopefully all the injured players are back to full health
Con's: Mack pointed this that we could drop down to 5th or 6th next week which sucks but what can you do since we've got a bye.

I watched the game with a "soon to be A-League fan" since he lives in Campbelltown he said he'll follow Macarthur FC next season. When Appiah scored he goes "oh..he looks like a great player"

I mentioned that "he is a injury replacement player so most likely will leave Western United at the end of the season" he replies "Well I hope Macarthur FC signs him up!" I never spat so much beer out of my mouth..

Edited by MathyouWSW

Meier

Duke.          Muller

Swegs

Baccus.      Jurman

Willmering Mcgowan zeigler Georgey 

Lopar

I want to see swegs at 10 and this is probably the best line up to play barring injuries. I don't want to see wingers/forwards forced to play creator when swegs is the best choice 

2 hours ago, marron said:

I was watching on my mobile with the sound off so... maybe I missed something obvious and everything.

But..

If someone could explain to me how this:

753771_640x360_large_20191109210940.jpg

Could be conclusive EITHER WAY, I'd appreciate it. Forget about where the line is drawn and all that - just look at it. There is zero chance of accurately saying whether it's gone over or not, from what I saw. Like I said, maybe I just missed some angle or whatever. But it should be simple. The AR calls it. VAR can have a very quick check to see if there is an obvious error. If they have conclusive proof - which, with this one, and the derby one, to my mind, there isn't - just tell the ref, and that should be it. If there isn't - just carry on. Instead of all the shouting and standing around and everything else for several minutes and the ridiculous pantomime of the ref going over to watch a screen himself (how can he see better than the VAR official in a quiet room?). And remember how VAR was supposed to get rid of players getting in the refs face? Yeah...

I reckon I’m pretty good at geometry however I’ll happily accept if I’m wrong here, but shouldn’t everything that’s supposed to be vertical be parallel here? I get that the line running from sideline to sideline will be at an angle depending on the camera pan, as will the angle of the line running from goal line to goal line (with them being horizontal/vertical only when the camera is pointing at the halfway line). But shouldn’t the goal posts, the corner flags and the vertical line on the animation all be vertical and parallel with each other, regardless of camera pan? Because watching the coverage last night either the line that they drew was off or the goal posts were leaning over.

And that’s ignoring the animated line being in the middle of the goal line instead of the back, the fact that what they animated suggested a pretty clear goal even with the misplaced line, the fact that the VAR can rule on offside by themselves with that exact line but needed to call the on field referee over to check the tiny TV to rule on it or the way he felt the need to call both captains over to explain his decision unlike any other call ever.

I can kind of understand why the FFA are hesitant to pay for the full multi camera goal line technology system but why can’t they have a single camera on each goal line, considering how important that line is for key decisions?

11 minutes ago, Davo said:

FFA are hesitant to pay for the full multi camera goal line technology system but why can’t they have a single camera on each goal line, considering how important that line is for key decisions?

Seems a fair and logical point, what's wrong with two extra cameras fro 90 mins!

3 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

My "favorite" parts of the game.

1. VAR that doesn't understand 5th grader geometry.

2. Slaters inability to have a single positive, constructive thing to say about our team or imports ever. It literally makes watching a poor performance feel like your spending 'quality' time with your step father.

3. The fact that we have multiple bundesliga standard players but play like the Cowra U12 district team. They didn't have Berisha and lost Kone. We should have punished them.

4. That Diamanti is allowed to put on multiple Oscar performances, and put the refs right in his pocket. Just give him the whistle.

5. Rudan. That guys a pr*ck. Always has been, irrespective of whether he poached players in contract. Hate losing to that guy.

6. That every former player has something to prove against us, and often does.

Great post, as well as an enertaining one Zach (no 3 is hilarious)

As for point 5...

There are now 2 very different black marks against Rudan which are certainly unsavoury, but why do you say he was always " a pr*ck"? Serious question.

For No 2, I will be very happy to prove myself wrong - VERY happy, because I'm curious about this too.

But if I can muster the energy, I'm going to jot down the negative statements (against WSW) and the postive statements uttered by some of the commentators who lots of you guys consider biased. Slater being at the top of the pile.

I hear mixed comments about any and all teams, from the commentators... all of them. I just don't get the strength of the views expressed here about their obvious biases.

Sounds like I'm the only one who doesn't hear it... but I'm going to specifically listen.

Fwiw. Lol.

14 hours ago, mack said:

At least you didn't have to listen to Slater or Archie Thompson.

Did you see Thompson and Muscat talking on camera before the game started?  Imagine getting a knock on the door and seeing those two standing outside!  Thought Muscat's special comments were good though.  Comes across as someone who knows what he is talking about in contrast to the others.