mack

Wanderers Unbeaten Run Ends In Geelong

16 hours ago, wendybr said:

I remember on the TV coverage from Geelong that, at one point, he was sitting on the bench looking ropeable, arms folded, and shaking his head. His offsider was glancing sideways at him, looking more than a bit nervous/anxious.

It's one of the things that irritated me big time last year - watching him sitting on the bench, arms folded, shaking his head, when things weren't going well.

Would prefer to see him get off his backside, and yelling from the sidelines/directing his players,  tbh....rather than sitting and stewing on the sidelines.

As for leaving a player behind - that's almost unbelievable!

A kindy teacher with 30 5 year old kids to manage wouldn't do that.  :fool:

He is coaching proffessional footballers not teaching Kindy and that is the difference.  I'm glad he is pissed off sitting there and as a coach there is a time to give instructions (as I saw him do numerous times) and a time to throw a rocket and sit down and watch it.  As for leaving a player behind, the bloke is 33 years of age with one job to do at the end of the game - get on the team bus.  

Why is everybody blaming Babbel for leaving a player behind? That's not his responsibility. They have a 'team manager' that looks after the team and one of his job was to make sure that every player is on the bus so the blame should be directed at him.

After the performance they put on I would of made all the squad walk back to the hotel.....in their match gear........including the manager.:ninja:

14 hours ago, btron3000 said:

The biggest problem with 3-5-2 is the lack of players who can play the wingback position. Have to be able to defend, attack, and run a zillion miles.

It also means no wingers or purely attacking players out wide. There’s a reason why it went out of fashion - only one team had Cafu and Roberto Carlos.

That said, i agree it should help us. We need to do something to help give us numbers and options in midfield.

After years of watching the wanderers, the only wing back who went up and down the line all game long to defend and attack was Scott Neville, fit as a butcher's dog, shame about his crossing accuracy though.

2 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

After years of watching the wanderers, the only wing back who went up and down the line all game long to defend and attack was Scott Neville, fit as a butcher's dog, shame about his crossing accuracy though.

I'd put Clisby in there too. Shame he just isn't a good footballer.

Jamo was happy to go forward, but not as energetic getting back. 

Don’t appreciate what you have until it’s gone hey. 

I loved me a bit of St Neville 😍

52 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Golec hit the all time greatest of crosses..

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

I'd put Clisby in there too. Shame he just isn't a good footballer.

Jamo was happy to go forward, but not as energetic getting back. 

Yeah agree with you on Jamo, thought he left prematurely to be honest, liked to kick the opposition a bit as well if I remember correctly.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, sonar said:

That tends to happen when you use MS Paint to draw lines.....:ninja:

I thought Mr squiggle was drawing the lines.

Upside down upside down everything's upside down

I think defensively we did quiet well despite what other may think. Diamanti was limited in his influence but it was Scotty Mac that was killing us. Apart from Macca WU did not not really threaten Lopar but our defense was under constant pressure which lead to the 2nd goal.

The biggest problem is our inability to hold the ball and move up as a team and get our attackers on the ball where they are most dangerous. Duke, Yeboah, Muller and AM were getting the ball in midfield with no way going forward. This is where we need to improve we need our attacking weapons higher up the park when they receive the ball. I think losing Raddy, the change in formation and of course the inclusion of AM has changed the dynamic of the team from pre-season so the team is a bit fractured when in possession

The BYE comes at a good time for the team to start gelling together and improve on our ability to hold the ball.

Duke , Baccus, Grozos , Mourdoukoutas are all away while we try to pull together for Mel City on Friday the 22nd of November

Duke should be back in Sydney on Sunday 17th or earlier after Australia plays Jordan on the 15th, Duke should be ok for the 22nd 

The other 3 will be part of 3 games played in China starting on the 15th , 17th  and 19th for the last one so if Baccus gets game time we may not have him for the 22nd. 

Melbourne City will have Connor Metcalfe, Ramy Najjarine and Thomas Glover involved as well in China.

We should have some players return for the game against Heart, Baccus maybe tired from teh games he has played but if Sullivan has recovered, I'd start him

I drove down to the game and can't believe the climate change that occured without me getting into a plane. It was bloody baltic down there. Haven't froze me hole off like that at a game since a Dublin Derby in the 80s.

Nice pub beforehand for pre-match drinks. Funny to see Billy Brownless (AFL Geelong player) propping up the bar beforehand. Seemed like a nice bloke. Mood in the bar was good. Fans having chat and beer, locals amused that at a few hundred travelled down for a 'socca' game.

The march, as I use the term very loosely, was like a chill-out karma walk. It wasn't a march. Which made the whole police presence thing so utterly ridiculous. It truly was insane. I'd hope that no money from the A-League is spent on this policing. Then someone let off a flare and some kid got lifted. Hope he's ok. There were one of two cops completely over-reacting. And there didn't seem to be any Senior Cop in charge. Just a load of Robos, looking for a chance to play with their toys. [some of them had more kit than soldiers in a a war zone]

Getting into the ground was a just stupid. Everyone was searched? What were they looking for? Did they find anything? A women beside me had some make-up taken from her as it was in a glass container. Utter maddening insanity.

It really is a terrible ground to watch football. It's worse than Spotless. But then. A goal. Euphoria for about 5 minutes. And then sh1te for the rest of the game.

It got so cold, I walked around to the side fo the ground in the second half. Credit to the Western United supporters on that side. They'll have to endure a lot if they're to succeed.

Memo to self. Melbourne is good for games, but only if they're at AAMI Park.

7 hours ago, scarcev said:

He is coaching proffessional footballers not teaching Kindy and that is the difference.  I'm glad he is pissed off sitting there and as a coach there is a time to give instructions (as I saw him do numerous times) and a time to throw a rocket and sit down and watch it.  

I'd prefer see him dancing around, waving his arms, and directing his players, rather than sitting, arms folded, and looking like he was either sulking, or at a complete loss for ideas.

But that's just me.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

I'd prefer see him dancing around, waving his arms, and directing his players, rather than sitting, arms folded, and looking like he was either sulking, or at a complete loss for ideas.

But that's just me.

We've never had a coach that jumps around waving their arms.  popa stood with his black note book and then sat for a while...  In fact across the A League there are different types of coaches - some who jump around all game and others who watch and read the game, looking for strategies or day-dreaming or whatever they do.  Don't really care personally because pre-game and half time are more important.

I actually wonder what the players can actually hear most of the time - they don't seem to be able to hear each other call out, 'man on' and get cleaned up. 

When sometimes coaching junior's team I used to wave and shout and carry on and looking back I'm not sure it did much except confuse the boys. If pros don't know what to do when they get on the park and can't read the game, then I wonder if they should be on the park at all. 

2 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

We've never had a coach that jumps around waving their arms.  popa stood with his black note book and then sat for a while...  In fact across the A League there are different types of coaches - some who jump around all game and others who watch and read the game, looking for strategies or day-dreaming or whatever they do.  Don't really care personally because pre-game and half time are more important.

I actually wonder what the players can actually hear most of the time - they don't seem to be able to hear each other call out, 'man on' and get cleaned up. 

When sometimes coaching junior's team I used to wave and shout and carry on and looking back I'm not sure it did much except confuse the boys. If pros don't know what to do when they get on the park and can't read the game, then I wonder if they should be on the park at all. 

There was Gumby:xnod:

Sunday morning Babbel was still in Geelong and still angry. Even the homely weather didn't put him at ease. We should never go back to that stadium again. It's that bad. Went to watch V v Nix next day at a great ground and substantial Active support older than twelve.

13 minutes ago, DamnedUnited said:

Sunday morning Babbel was still in Geelong and still angry. 

Angry about what exactly, DU?

I have been on a cruise for the last 8 days without internet or any sort of contact (surprisingly they showed the Perth vs Jets game on the Royal Caribbean sports channel - don’t let fox tell you no one is watching the aleague lol).

When I got back into Sydney today I can’t say I was surprised by the result but it’s not the end of the world. Standard panic unfolding as normal I see, across social media...

Western United reminds me alot of the WSW season 1 side and I think they will do things this season. Got nothing to lose and have a rag tag bunch of players (probably with a better spine than what we initially had admittedly) who just appear to be working well together.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Angry about what exactly, DU?

DG found his way back to the hotel and the breakfast buffet ran out of sausage. 

10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

DG found his way back to the hotel and the breakfast buffet ran out of sausage. 

That's the wurst.....I'll show myself out

8 hours ago, Keithie said:

Duke , Baccus, Grozos , Mourdoukoutas are all away while we try to pull together for Mel City on Friday the 22nd of November

Duke should be back in Sydney on Sunday 17th or earlier after Australia plays Jordan on the 15th, Duke should be ok for the 22nd 

The other 3 will be part of 3 games played in China starting on the 15th , 17th  and 19th for the last one so if Baccus gets game time we may not have him for the 22nd. 

Melbourne City will have Connor Metcalfe, Ramy Najjarine and Thomas Glover involved as well in China.

None of this should be too concerning.

Mouda - we have 3 CBs and we strangely persist with a 4ATB

Grozos - Meh, hasn’t performed when given first team games, either through injury or nerves.

Baccus - mildly concerning but to be honest has had some very bad spells on the ball re passing. Could probably do with a spell.

Duke - he should be back in time if he even gets minutes at striker. Tags should be starting there. Might get 20 at best

The only slight concern is the abscence of Baccus. And only because we have literally no back up or depth in midfield. Which is because the club saw fit not to use the final 3 contracts. I hope Sullivan gets fit... fast

20 hours ago, Beer said:

Don’t appreciate what you have until it’s gone hey. 

I loved me a bit of St Neville 😍

couldn’t cross

20 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

Yeah agree with you on Jamo, thought he left prematurely to be honest, liked to kick the opposition a bit as well if I remember correctly.

Polenz 

Best full back we have had

- covered a heap of ground

- could cross

- kicked people 

- great hair

I miss our Hairbanded overlapping Attacking occasional use of social media fullback 

Edited by StringerBellend