City Steal Late Win

29 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

We Jurman back ASAP. Zeigler 2 starts , 5 goals conceded, not putting bit all on him but Jurman is our man at the back.

Very harsh, goals conceded can’t really be blamed on Ziegler alone, personally I thought he bossed it at the back.

That final goal (1) Lopar to sweeper keep? (2) Our back line outpaced to the ball by essentially a hoof from defense (3) Clever movement from Maclaren but two players ball watching :acute:That second goal? Was a bit lucky how the ball deflected the way it did.

The question is who do you leave out with Jurman coming back? Harsh to leave McGowan out but technically the worse out of the 3. Or play all 3?

17 minutes ago, mack said:

Beath saw a push or a hold that no-one including the cameras did.

11 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

The VAR cleared it in a single review. Surely there was something.

in trying to be the nice guy and give Beath and KGJ the benefit of the doubt here

The problem with VAR is that they are only validating what the referee saw, on the replay it showed “contact” which was enough for them to validate the referee’s call. It doesn’t matter if it wasn’t enough to bring him down or to be called a foul.

At the end of the day, it’s still a referee on the field & referee in the VAR room.

5 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The problem with VAR is that they are only validating what the referee saw, on the replay it showed “contact” which was enough for them to validate the referee’s call. It doesn’t matter if it wasn’t enough to bring him down or to be called a foul.

At the end of the day, it’s still a referee on the field & referee in the VAR room.

I wonder if having an ex-player in the VAR (similar to the video ref in rugby league) would make a difference in some of these calls. Technically, the "contact" may have meant it was not clear and obvious enough to overturn, but the ex-player could then say that the contact was not enough to cause a foul and overturn the decision.

24 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

The VAR cleared it in a single review. Surely there was something.

in trying to be the nice guy and give Beath and KGJ the benefit of the doubt here

Nah...no need to.

23 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Bozza said after the game it wasn't a pen at all. 

This! ;)

If there was any contact (no matter how small) the VAR was not going to overturn it.

The issue here was not the VAR but the referee. If he is going to give a pen for that he needs to be consistent and do the same everytime a player is held in the box. 

Edited by tardotz

It's hard to fathom how Beath is considered the current best Australian ref when he shows that he wants to be an absolute dick and wants to make sure he ****s us over.

He didn't get the decision he wanted when Yeboah scored so he had to wait for his moment to **** us over and that's when he called the pen.

As soon as I saw Beath and KGJ officiating our match, I knew there's going to be one certain result

Edited by SBW
52 minutes ago, tardotz said:

If there was any contact (no matter how small) the VAR was not going to overturn it.

The issue here was not the VAR but the referee. If he is going to give a pen for that he needs to be consistent and do the same everytime a player is held in the box. 

it was a foul but it was a foul by the attacker who jumped into the defender

1 hour ago, scarcev said:

it was a foul but it was a foul by the attacker who jumped into the defender

Correct. Genreau jumps in the air and falls on Schwegler.

Officiating at both the W-League and A-league games have been questioned by Fox Sports commentators.

I hope the club issues an official complaints over both teams of match officials. Poor offside calls, incorrect penalty (For Maclaren), failure to send off Griffiths, biased refereeing 

And Sam Kerr has a dig at Australian referees by saying that's one thing she won't miss.

52 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

zeigler deciding to run towards the goal rather than mark mcclaren for the third.

Oh man I was furious at this. It's still annoying me now. City had ONE man in the box and the guy with the ball was at the byline. What could he do except try a cutback? Terrible from the guy who is taking up a visa spot. 

Sitting back like we did brings on pressure and mistakes. I dont watch a home game expecting to see the away side have 70% possession, CCM, ESFC and Brissy prob all had that as well at some point. We prob had a ******* seasons worth of luck against ESFC..

We can bitch and moan about decisions against us...but with the players we have we should be on the front foot and controlling games...especially so at home, away different matter.

I dont like our style of play...and if that means i am told to **** off here then so be it.

The style under popa was a grind at times but i felt that fitted the group we had then...fighters punching abover their weight in some cases...different scenario with this team...Babbel hasnt yet found a blend that works and that isnt the fault of Beath...its at the point where we should factor in his **** ups in a game plan with him in charge anyway...its that bad...

We didnt deserve to lose... Beath is a chunt..but something aint right and there is work to be done to make this a team.

Edited by Smoggy
8 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Oh man I was furious at this. It's still annoying me now. City had ONE man in the box and the guy with the ball was at the byline. What could he do except try a cutback? Terrible from the guy who is taking up a visa spot. 

Yep. Two games in a row with game costing errors - he was made to look like an o/35s defender filling in for prems by kubi (of all people) against WU for their winner.

Get well soon Mat Jurman!

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Sitting back like we did brings on pressure and mistakes. I dont watch a home game expecting to see the away side have 70% possession, CCM, ESFC and Brissy prob all had that as well at some point. We prob had a ******* seasons worth of luck against ESFC..

We can bitch and moan about decisions against us...but with the players we have we should be on the front foot and controlling games...especially so at home, away different matter.

I dont like our style of play...and if that means i am told to **** off here then so be it.

The style under popa was a grind at times but i felt that fitted the group we had then...fighters punching abover their weight in some cases...different scenario with this team...Babbel hasnt yet found a blend that works and that isnt the fault of Beath...its at the point where we should factor in his **** ups in a game plan with him in charge anyway...its that bad...

We didnt deserve to lose... Beath is a chunt..but something aint right and there is work to be done to make this a team.

Mate I get your point here but I don't think we have the quality in central midfield (aside from schwegler) to play a possession based style.

7 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

Mate I get your point here but I don't think we have the quality in central midfield (aside from schwegler) to play a possession based style.

I disagree....Babbel needs to just get positions on the pitch a few meters forward and cut out the stupid cheap turnovers...we turn the ball over so many times with the first ball out of defense...working on that would be a start. 

There was a wooden sýign on the changing rooms at Boros old ground that said 'The biggest crime in football is to give away the ball' ....if that is true then we want locking up and the key throwing away.

Edited by Smoggy
41 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I disagree....Babbel needs to just get positions on the pitch a few meters forward and cut out the stupid cheap turnovers...we turn the ball over so many times with the first ball out of defense...working on that would be a start. 

There was a wooden sýign on the changing rooms at Boros old ground that said 'The biggest crime in football is to give away the ball' ....if that is true then we want locking up and the key throwing away.

Soggy you should because a special advisor on the coaching panels with those insights :xnod:

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

of course every team would like to be 2010 Barca and dominate possession, chances and territory and just be camped around the opposition's area. but this isn't reality for us (or any team in a capped league really). So the best strategy is the one that will limit the opposition's chances and maximise ours. for 60 minutes + MB's strategy did this.

your own analysis smoggy identifies (correctly) that our centre backs struggle to successfully pass out from the back so why would we emphasise that by trying to play triangles? We hit it long and tried to win the second ball (mostly off duke's head) and then when that didn't work we looked to catch them in possession and counter off that. Klopp's Dortmund won a lot off a similar approach - although they pressed higher - let them have it, press and trap, win the ball, counter quickly and directly. Some of the best teams in history have been counter attacking sides. To me what we did last night wasn't 'sitting back' or trying to hold the lead - it was a strategy that suits the players we have. It worked pretty well - a comedy pen and some individual errors brought us undone but we had them on toast until the pen.

Some fall in to the Andy Harper trap of going - the other team had 60% possession so we must be parking the bus - that is not what I saw at all last night.

No dramas though - it's football and open to interpretations all the time, that is what makes it so interesting.

26 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

of course every team would like to be 2010 Barca and dominate possession, chances and territory and just be camped around the opposition's area. but this isn't reality for us (or any team in a capped league really). So the best strategy is the one that will limit the opposition's chances and maximise ours. for 60 minutes + MB's strategy did this.

your own analysis smoggy identifies (correctly) that our centre backs struggle to successfully pass out from the back so why would we emphasise that by trying to play triangles? We hit it long and tried to win the second ball (mostly off duke's head) and then when that didn't work we looked to catch them in possession and counter off that. Klopp's Dortmund won a lot off a similar approach - although they pressed higher - let them have it, press and trap, win the ball, counter quickly and directly. Some of the best teams in history have been counter attacking sides. To me what we did last night wasn't 'sitting back' or trying to hold the lead - it was a strategy that suits the players we have. It worked pretty well - a comedy pen and some individual errors brought us undone but we had them on toast until the pen.

Some fall in to the Andy Harper trap of going - the other team had 60% possession so we must be parking the bus - that is not what I saw at all last night.

No dramas though - it's football and open to interpretations all the time, that is what makes it so interesting.

whos talking about Barca or fancy triangles.. hoof the ball long to a big target man will do me :D Throw in a few more dirty ****ers and i would be happy.