Jump to content
mack

Jets Down Wanderers In Newcastle

Recommended Posts

The Western Sydney Wanderers have been beaten by Newcastle Jets tonight as they suffered their 3rd A-league defeat in a row.

Another controversial defeat, the Jets took advantage of lucky officiating to stay in the game until the second half where they opened the scoring in the 76th minute with a goalmouth scramble, and a 2nd late on from Dimi Petratos.

Goalkeeper Daniel Lopar starred for the Wanderers, particularly in stopping the Jets strikers in multiple one-on-one situations. The first in the 15th minute was a right footed block against Jason Hoffman. Later on he used the opposite foot to deny Arroyo from an acute angle.

Just like the week prior where the Wanderers were stuffed by a joke of a penalty call by an inept referee. Whereas last week they were punished by a non-penalty, this week they suffered from two obvious penalties in their favour being denied by Kurt Ams. Kwame Yeboah was clear through on goal when he was bought down from behind, Ams missed it completely, then ambled over for a VAR check that lasted about 2 seconds before denying the obvious penalty. Shortly after Nikolai Topor-Stanley should have given away another penalty for a stomp on the feet of the Wanderers attacker, but it was also waved away.

The second half the Wanderers dominated the early stages, and were unlucky not to take the lead on the hour mark. Daniel Georgievski's short pass to Mitch Duke resulted in a first time right footed strike that Glenn Moss dove smartly for to deny, a follow up from Nicolai Muller was covered up once more by Moss and the last shot of the action was an acrobatic & inventive leaping kung-fu style front kick by Duke that blasted the ball over the top of the goal.

Newcastle went in front in the 77th minute. After a dinked chip to the back post that was knocked down by a Jets attacker, Pirmin Schwegler stuck out a boot off-balance to prevent it reaching another Jets player only for it to fall to the feet of Angus Thurgate 3 yards from goal and he fired past Lopar. Newcastle sealed the game in the 85th minute, taking full advantage of Schwegler being kept off the pitch by the fourth official for a blood inspection despite him having already been cleaned up by the physio. After losing the ball in midfield, Newcastle dropped a long ball over the top of the stretched Wanderers defence, Thurgate timed his run well, drew Lopar out of goal and passed off to Dimi Petratos who tapped the ball into the open net.

The Wanderers travel to Eden Park in New Zealand next week to face the Wellington Phoenix on Saturday December 7th.


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's get one thing clear.

Newcastle deserved to win and were by far the better team. Without Lopar it could have been 4 or 5. Even with Lopar it probably should have been.

But how in the world the referee watches that replay and doesn't think it's a penalty, I will never know.

In waving away the decision live, he pointed and made the signal that the defender won the ball. The replay clearly showed the defender got no ball, brings Yeboah down and it is a blatant foul.

VAR is there to stop howlers.
It's not working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was a pen but no excuses, at that point we should have been down about 3-0, the jets were simply the better team by far and while we did have moments where we played better than them for about 20 ish minutes the rest was them and we really cant blame the pen for this loss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t agree that we aren’t good enough. If we flat out weren’t good enough then we wouldn’t be in a position to say we threw the game away. Concentration lapses and ball watching in defence are what is costing us right now.

Was something wrong with Jurman still? I caught him walking on several occasions, most notable their second goal where he had no idea of where the runaway striker was. McGowan for me is too slow to play the way we do.

Mo Adam should be replacing Yeboah at the 70th min mark every week. Yeboah is absolutely rooted by this point every week and starts doing that thing where he just uncontrollably throws himself around the field which does nothing. Adam came on and within 5 mins and had a shot that hit the post...

I like Babel and I have confidence with him, but his substitutions do confuse me somewhat. You’ve gotta bring on players like for like which I don’t think we do enough of.

Re the penalty shout - what really annoys me is that two weeks in a row now, we’ve had a penalty incident where the referee has walked over to the VAR and spent less than 5 seconds watching the replay. Then some games they’ll view it into the minutes... They need to have some sort of min and max timeframe that they should be viewing that screen whether they know what call they will already make or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lopar was excellent

Moss was excellent

Thurgate was very good

Kamau was very good

Duke wasn't good

Muller wasn't good

Referee was **** 

Everyone else was average

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our front attacking third has clear issues, but lets not let go of the fact the referees consistently do their best to **** us every game

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are things I would enjoy seeing happen to Kurt Ams however I will keep them to myself. I hoped for the same things to happen to Beath last week too 😂😂😂 Again, we lost by 2 but had that been given we go 1 nil up and the game changes. Although overall, we were very poor and what I thought looked to be a promising season is slipping away. Story of our lives as WSW fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting for the German Spin Doctor and his loathable ashamed-to-be-white sidekick to show face. 

And for anyone wondering, no I do not take joy in watching us lose. I just wasn’t prepared to be sold magic beans by bottom feeders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The VAR if used properly it could be useful. They should review the incident and make a decision. If they cannot make a decision the first ruling by the ref should stand and play on. There is never a need to get the referee to view it on the screen. If the VAR with all the screens camera angles and time cannot make a call who is a referee able to on a little monitor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not Babbel out but there has to come a time when you question his tactics. It's still early and we can turn it around but at the present I'm thinking Meier and Muller have not been the signings we expected. We won't go anywhere untill we convert chances.....simple as that. 

Lopar and Schwegler...great buys.......... Zeigler,Meier,Muller not so much. The visa players are the ones you expect to shine.They're not at present. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sonar said:

I'm not Babbel out but there has to come a time when you question his tactics. It's still early and we can turn it around but at the present I'm thinking Meier and Muller have not been the signings we expected. We won't go anywhere untill we convert chances.....simple as that. 

Lopar and Schwegler...great buys.......... Zeigler,Meier,Muller not so much. The visa players are the ones you expect to shine.They're not at present. 

I think even with the shyte ref decisions i think Babbel has been quite a lucky manager. Lopar bailed us out today and has done so a number of times. We could so easily have been done over heavily 2 or 3 times this season. No complaints from me tonight..would have taken a draw of course but wouldn’t say we deserved it especially. Good few pissed off people in the stand at the end today...frustrations showing.

Also Interesting people walking around Newcastle after dark on a weeked aint there! Just walking back to where staying and shouted at twice...and i have NO idea what either were saying, hard to say if they were angry or happy :D 

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I think even with the shyte ref decisions i think Babbel has been quite a lucky manager. Lopar bailed us out today and has done so a number of times. We could so easily have been done over heavily 2 or 3 times this season. No complaints from me tonight..would have taken a draw of course but wouldn’t say we deserved it especially. Good few pissed off people in the stand at the end today...frustrations showing.

Also Interesting people walking around Newcastle after dark on a weeked aint there! Just walking back to where staying and shouted at twice...and i have NO idea what either were saying, hard to say if they were angry or happy :D 

......there's always the next game to look forward to.....:D

:wanderturtle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Hughsey - we are good enough, Moss kept them in it in the second, just like Lopar did for us in the first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mack said:

Babbel conference only 6 minutes this week.

I haven't seen it but let me guess......"we didn't bring the performance we wanted to the pitch"............:ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sonar said:

......there's always the next game to look forward to.....:D

:wanderturtle:

Few more away trips coming up :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Pup55 said:

Let's get one thing clear.

Newcastle deserved to win and were by far the better team. Without Lopar it could have been 4 or 5. Even with Lopar it probably should have been.

But how in the world the referee watches that replay and doesn't think it's a penalty, I will never know.

In waving away the decision live, he pointed and made the signal that the defender won the ball. The replay clearly showed the defender got no ball, brings Yeboah down and it is a blatant foul.

VAR is there to stop howlers.
It's not working.

VAR isnt the issue, it's the refs using it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get the people who say we can’t complain about the refereeing because we should be winning in spite of the bad calls.

All of the games in the first three rounds had a margin of one goal or less, so every game would have had a different result if a legit penalty was missed or an illegitimate penalty was given. It’s not realistic to demand every game is a two goal win to cover the referee error (or three goal win in the case of today’s refereeing display).

The team should be playing better and it’s a legitimate complaint, but referee incompetence is independent of that and also a legitimate complaint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing to a minnow club isn't what I had planned for this season.

If the slide can't be arrested in the next week or 2 then season is over, and Lederer can have it with both barrels for saying this season is ours.

Worst club in the League for getting the import signings right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Beer said:

Still waiting for the German Spin Doctor and his loathable ashamed-to-be-white sidekick to show face. 

And for anyone wondering, no I do not take joy in watching us lose. I just wasn’t prepared to be sold magic beans by bottom feeders. 

they will only show up when we are winning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone said that they work at the same organisation as Kurt Ams.

Maybe ask (that fraud of a referee) what makes Alireza Faghani so much better than the rest of A-league refereeing except Alireza Panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonar said:

I haven't seen it but let me guess......"we didn't bring the performance we wanted to the pitch"............:ninja:

He said the boys were playing freestyle in the first half and he doesn’t know why 

the players and babbel are struggling to find cohesion and that nous about knowing what your do teammate is going to do for you, the fluency for most past isn’t there you see it in patches but you don’t get 90 mins of it 

remember when Adelaide won the title - they were **** for first third of season in my memory serves me correct bottom of league before they turned in on.

our players individually are as good as team we have since season 4 collectivity can babbel get the best out of them - well we are going to find out how good a coach he is, as we stand it’s looking a tough task 

mueller and Meier have to be better that what we have seen - you can’t play in Germany all those years and be what we have seen - they need to stop earning their dollars 

Edited by GunnerWanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it a penalty? For me I think it was a soft penalty if it was given.

But we had our chances to win. Duke was shocking in front of goal, Yeboah tried too hard and be needs to know that less is more, Muller needs a spell on the bench. He was slow and ineffective in the ball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SBW said:

Was it a penalty? For me I think it was a soft penalty if it was given.

But we had our chances to win. Duke was shocking in front of goal, Yeboah tried too hard and be needs to know that less is more, Muller needs a spell on the bench. He was slow and ineffective in the ball.

 

it was a pen, a soft pen but still a pen imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

He said the boys were playing freestyle in the first half and he doesn’t know why 

the players and babbel are struggling to find cohesion and that nous about knowing what your do teammate is going to do for you, the fluency for most past isn’t there you see it in patches but you don’t get 90 mins of it 

remember when Adelaide won the title - they were **** for first third of season in my memory serves me correct bottom of league before they turned in on.

our players individually are as good as team we have since season 4 collectivity can babbel get the best out of them - well we are going to find out how good a coach he is, as we stand it’s looking a tough task 

mueller and Meier have to be better that what we have seen - you can’t play in Germany all those years and be what we have seen - they need to start earning their dollars .....Fixed.....lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

it was a pen, a soft pen but still a pen imo

If it had been esfc or city$$$ it would have been a definite pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...