Jump to content
mack

Jets Down Wanderers In Newcastle

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I'd like to hear what FCB thinks about the current state of the team. For one thing, he still has more of a pipeline to the team leadership than the rest of us. That's probably why he was drinking the kool aid so much in the first place.

Totally agree with your observation in the last sentence there, and with the rest of your post! :good:

Both the people we're referring to are  "heart" people...they feel deeply about things, from what I have seen of them.

Maybe there is still reason to believe in the optimism we had at the start of the season, and maybe they still feel it. If not, their disappointment must be strong.

I'm glad you stepped up and started the discussion we're having, Btron, which is awkward. 

PS I feel bad to be discussing other people here - I don't like doing that, and don't usually do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Beer said:

Still waiting for the German Spin Doctor and his loathable ashamed-to-be-white sidekick to show face. 

And for anyone wondering, no I do not take joy in watching us lose. I just wasn’t prepared to be sold magic beans by bottom feeders. 

Pull your head in fecking twat.  Funny how you say you don’t like it., but you are constantly negative. I have zero time for people like you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Mine about the same..i am having a proper coffer by the river at min...should always be a food or drink report from away games. No laps of pool this morning as a bit grey.

Just be sure you don't check the championship results - don't want to spoil your morning coffee :ninja::shok:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wendybr said:

The forum participation over the  last few weeks was surprisingly sluggish leading up to an away game at Newy.

Many reasons for that I guess.

But forum wars are probably not helping.

I know you're aware of this, but the forum ebbs and flows based on form and whether we are in and out of season. The fact that we started with such a bang (and the forum was busy and buzzing) and have now seemingly returned to midtable mediocrity (hopefully not for long) has lead to a deflation in supporter morale. And that obviously flows on to the forum.

On to WSW, as many have stated, we don't seem to have a cohesive plan or style of play. Some managers are great at adapting their team each week to suit the opposition, and I know Babbel is trying to do this too, but currently, it's really not working. Not sure whether it is an issue with him getting his message across, or the players simply not following his instructions. But the blame must come on Babbel at the end of the day, as Lloydy stated, it's his players and his team now. No excuses.

It is still early days (remember how Adelaide started before they went on to win the double), but I can't really see us doing a similar turnaround at the moment. It's all a bit ****, tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Also scheduling a 7.30 kickoff in Newcastle is ridiculous. How are people meant to get home unless they stay the night?

Disagree its a great kick off time. You cadge a lift and do what you can...especially if a youngster. The memories of getting to away games sat on bags of cement in the back of a transit van and getting home at 3am

 Once went to an FA cup midweek replay at Wimbledon on  Tuesday night in Feb in the back of a mates mini...6 of us...suspension nearly on the road...it builds memories..

You just do what you need to do...

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone questioning Babbels tactical ability should of been doing it much earlier in the season than now.    We were bang average and in some cases terrible when we got those results earlier in the season and everyone was praising Babbel or saying ntothing and now we have had 3 losses, carved up by WU and then we were very good (probably our best performace all year) against City and after an ordinary first half yesterday probably played our best 30mins of the season yesterday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scarcev said:

Anyone questioning Babbels tactical ability should of been doing it much earlier in the season than now.    We were bang average and in some cases terrible when we got those results earlier in the season and everyone was praising Babbel or saying ntothing and now we have had 3 losses, carved up by WU and then we were very good (probably our best performace all year) against City and after an ordinary first half yesterday probably played our best 30mins of the season yesterday.  

We did.

The only time he has been universally praised was victory away. City game was 50/50, everyone acknowledged luck in derby. But that was a poor performance yesterday aside from as you said a decent patch after half time - but is that good enough against a pretty poor side with MB's hand picked bundesliga imports?

I would say **** no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wendybr said:

 Re current bad feelings amongst forumites...

The pointed comments and insults have come from both sides...and yes, I do remember where this all started.

But to keep our forums viable and strong, it's to be hoped we might get beyond the name calling and insults.

The forum participation over the  last few weeks was surprisingly sluggish leading up to an away game at Newy.

Many reasons for that I guess.

But forum wars are probably not helping.

 

 

Here it is the “Many Fine people on both sides” arguement  again,

 

the post I read this morning was way out of line.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m entitled to an opinion just as much as anyone else. 

I make no apologies for my “negativity” when the change and winning ways I was promised are not being delivered. 

I’ve been sceptical since day 1 of preseason, but at least after the derby when we were 3 wins from 3 I came out and acknowledged that we had improved. Despite our lofty position I pointed out that the luck would not last, and here we are. 

At least I’m not in hiding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unlimited said:

Also scheduling a 7.30 kickoff in Newcastle is ridiculous. How are people meant to get home unless they stay the night?

You drive home or catch the train afterwards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Beer said:

I’m entitled to an opinion just as much as anyone else. 

I make no apologies for my “negativity” when the change and winning ways I was promised are not being delivered. 

I’ve been sceptical since day 1 of preseason, but at least after the derby when we were 3 wins from 3 I came out and acknowledged that we had improved. Despite our lofty position I pointed out that the luck would not last, and here we are. 

At least I’m not in hiding. 

Its not about your opinion.  You have been correct on a number of things - its about bringing politics and personal stuff into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expectations are pre meditated resentments. Never knew we were forumite feuding. Anyways there are no victims only volunteers so feel lucky life isn't a popularity contest. I travelled to Geelong and that was the lamest tour of duty ever with a shite ground and shite performance. Newcastle was worse on all levels. One of the coppers approached a club marshal before kick off and asked what about the march. Exactly. The leadership may argue that we didn't have the numbers but for me it's the highlight of the trip and enough supporters albeit not Active where there to join. We've been dominated but winning early on but we rode our luck too long and now we see a bunch of great players incapable of being a team posing a threat. Lopar is super human but that's where the ball has been mainly at this season. Two consecutive quarters of negative growth equal recession and three successive losses equal crisis. I ain't going back to Geelong nor travelling 5 hours to Newcastle if fellow Actives can't be bothered and a fellow member from Adelaide makes the effort to travel up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to LLoydy's earlier comment. It's not the despair, I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unlimited said:

Also scheduling a 7.30 kickoff in Newcastle is ridiculous. How are people meant to get home unless they stay the night?

At least it was finally on a Saturday. The last 2-3 seasons the same fixture has been on either a Friday night or Sunday evening and I recall there was once which a couple of days out from Christmas. All of which made it logistically impossible for big numbers to make the trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scarcev said:

Anyone questioning Babbels tactical ability should of been doing it much earlier in the season than now. 

This was my main concern after the derby. It was the reason I was unable to buy into the results.

———————

On the game, I think we have been a bit too quick to jump on the negatives but haven’t seen too many comments on the second half? Of course it’s easy when you have such a disastrous first half & lose 0-2 away to a team that will most likely miss out on the finals.

After the first half, yes horrible. Lopar outstanding & Newcastle wondering how they weren’t 5 ahead. Second half we were the better team, we definitely created enough chances to take the lead but we were unable to find the back of the net. I don’t think Lopar had been required to save anything in the second till that first goal. The second goal, well. Not good.

I think much of what I’ve seen thus far has neglected to acknowledge a very good second half performance. Was good to see us dictating possession, good to see us creating multiple chances (funnily enough in previous weeks we have scored from few opportunities, this week we had the opposite problem) but that’s a footnote unfortunately in another dismal result. We now have another 2 away games back to back to follow. Tough.

——————

The other important observation that many seem to make is of our leaky defense. In the last few games we have only conceded so many only because we have had to open up as we aren’t in a winning position. Had we been 1-0, our CB’s in fact our whole team would be much deeper, that second goal would not have happened.

Unfortunately this is a byproduct of the system we play & I think the identity that Babbel has imprinted on this team is clear. Babbel has set us up to sit deep, especially if we get the lead. If we concede, Babbel has set us up to transition quickly & allow us to open up to create. It also opens us to concede & be very open when we “flick the switch”. Even during our run of results we were conceding many chances but we have the fantastic form of our keeper to be glad that it hasn’t been considerably more!

——————

Last observation, I think it’s been disappointing that we haven’t been able to get the most out of Mueller, not to mention having our marquee striker sitting on the bench till 75 minutes.

I feel this leaves us with more questions than answers. I was hoping that the week off before the City game was going to give us a chance to reset & come with a different approach. Right now, we just haven’t got things right but unsure the persisting with the same strategy will yield the results we are after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duke needs a rest his knees are shot and couldn't run leaving Willmering alot of work, put Muller there at wing and swegs/sulivan at 10 as midfield was controlled by the jets all game, without Lopar magic it would have been an embarrassing loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hughsey said:

At least it was finally on a Saturday. The last 2-3 seasons the same fixture has been on either a Friday night or Sunday evening and I recall there was once which a couple of days out from Christmas. All of which made it logistically impossible for big numbers to make the trip. 

This.

7:30 on a Saturday evening IS the best kick off time for this fixture, some could argue that 5 or 5:30 Saturday would be best, its 7:30 for me. Game finishes what 9:30, ok some shitty road works on the motorway between Newcastle and Sydney but you are getting home before midnight in most cases I would think. There was some track work yesterday I think? 

I love the Newcastle trip / weekend. Drove up with scarfs out of the car window of course as per a Boro away trip in the UK lol Would have been good to see more there but it is what it is and those there did what they could to make an atmosphere.

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beer said:

I’m entitled to an opinion just as much as anyone else. 

I make no apologies for my “negativity” when the change and winning ways I was promised are not being delivered. 

I’ve been sceptical since day 1 of preseason, but at least after the derby when we were 3 wins from 3 I came out and acknowledged that we had improved. Despite our lofty position I pointed out that the luck would not last, and here we are. 

At least I’m not in hiding. 

It’s not the football opinion that was/is out of line

which I assume you know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DamnedUnited said:

Expectations are pre meditated resentments. Never knew we were forumite feuding. Anyways there are no victims only volunteers so feel lucky life isn't a popularity contest. I travelled to Geelong and that was the lamest tour of duty ever with a shite ground and shite performance. Newcastle was worse on all levels. One of the coppers approached a club marshal before kick off and asked what about the march. Exactly. The leadership may argue that we didn't have the numbers but for me it's the highlight of the trip and enough supporters albeit not Active where there to join. We've been dominated but winning early on but we rode our luck too long and now we see a bunch of great players incapable of being a team posing a threat. Lopar is super human but that's where the ball has been mainly at this season. Two consecutive quarters of negative growth equal recession and three successive losses equal crisis. I ain't going back to Geelong nor travelling 5 hours to Newcastle if fellow Actives can't be bothered and a fellow member from Adelaide makes the effort to travel up.

The turn out was dreadful, Saturday night in Newcastle and we had half a bay at best.

at least a lot of the important people (well at least to me any way) were there 

Our support (active or not) is is a shadow of what it was

i expect once we win a few people will jump back on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

 

at least a lot of the important people (well at least to me any way) were there 

 

Thank you, I always see myself as important but always good to get confirmation on it :D

It was a poor showing though.

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Thank you, I always see myself as important but always good to get confirmation on it :D

It was a poor showing though.

You commented in the match thread that you may have spotted me. I was there, with family, and I was wearing a Babbel hat. Does that match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Mueller ain’t a ten 

It becomes a babbel issue(poor recruitment) , we should have signed a proper AM to replace Majewski. 

Jedi, Troisi or other foreign players wouldhave been available. 

 

Instead, Babbel effed up with Muller who is a mainly a Winger.. 

He also effed up with Meier, he's bordering Pio quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most worrying aspect of last night for me was the ease in which Fitzgerald, Hoffman & Thurgate continually got behind our line. 
 

Im not an MB fan by any means but I do think it’s understated the adjustment players have to make coming to Australia & the A League. Completely different playing conditions, it’s fast & physical, & tbh I think it’s a better standard that most believe coming here. I’m willing to give Meier, Mueller & MB more time. Pointless throwing the toys out this early in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out and out winger, 7&11 down the white line as fast as you can go and cross into the box before you hit the flag, don't know why this doesn't happen as much these days, everybody obsessed with possession football.

Like MB to force this for a half , let Muller have his head he seems pretty good at it on you tube highlights, got to change something up we are not looking attacking and dominant at the moment, just my tuppence on things.

BTW how good is Lopar really impressed with this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...