Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pup55

Unpopular Opinion - Schwegler

Recommended Posts

Schwegler is by far the best player in our squad. He's on another level to the rest if them.

His passes are hit crisp and firm, always out in front of team mates and he reads the game superbly well.

..........BUT..........

We are not getting enough out of him.

He is wasted playing so deep screening the back 4 and for a player of his class and skill, he HAS to be influencing the games more than what he is.

I'm not bagging him, because he's been great individually, but as the best player on the pitch week in, week out, it's time he contributes to the result of the match and leaves his mark on the game.

Muller isn't working at 10 and Ziegler is being wasted on the bench.

Play Schwegler at 10 where he can get on the ball more, shift Muller out wide to his natural position and let Ziegler screen the back 4.

Edited by Pup55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the same before today's game, Schwegler to 10. Ultimately, I don't think we should weaken one position to strengthen (possibly) another. 

I say play Sullivan at 10 and leave it at that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooops.....wrong thread.

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sullivan did a good job beside Schwegler in the City game. He marked Brillante the whole time he was on and kept him reasonably quiet (Brillante got his goal after Sullivan was subbed off).

I’d be happy with either of Schwegler or Sullivan at 10 and the other behind them with Baccus.

The other problem is who do you drop for Muller if he goes out wide? None of Yeboah, Duke or Kamau deserve to be dropped after the last two games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davo said:

Sullivan did a good job beside Schwegler in the City game. He marked Brillante the whole time he was on and kept him reasonably quiet (Brillante got his goal after Sullivan was subbed off).

I’d be happy with either of Schwegler or Sullivan at 10 and the other behind them with Baccus.

The other problem is who do you drop for Muller if he goes out wide? None of Yeboah, Duke or Kamau deserve to be dropped after the last two games.

Play whoever is in form, put the other on the bench. The fight for starting places will be good for them. 

As it stands, Muller or Duke are most out of form, bench one and let them earn a starting spot with 20 to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2019 at 10:36 PM, Pup55 said:

Schwegler is by far the best player in our squad. He's on another level to the rest if them.

His passes are hit crisp and firm, always out in front of team mates and he reads the game superbly well.

..........BUT..........

We are not getting enough out of him.

He is wasted playing so deep screening the back 4 and for a player of his class and skill, he HAS to be influencing the games more than what he is.

I'm not bagging him, because he's been great individually, but as the best player on the pitch week in, week out, it's time he contributes to the result of the match and leaves his mark on the game.

Muller isn't working at 10 and Ziegler is being wasted on the bench.

Play Schwegler at 10 where he can get on the ball more, shift Muller out wide to his natural position and let Ziegler screen the back 4.

He needs an 8 playing alongside him, and Baccus is not an 8, he is playing a similar role to Schwegler. Replace Baccus with Sullivan and see how much more dynamic Schwegler and Sullivan are in the midfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last two weeks Schwegler on the ball has been suspect. Off the ball he is still a monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need Sullivan on the park either as a 10 or beside schweigler  I still think Ziegler is Better than Macgowan 

Can Baccus play the 10 role he is hard, can get forward and back, last season was sending some very cutting balls forward and has shot from range

just my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keithie said:

We need Sullivan on the park either as a 10 or beside schweigler  I still think Ziegler is Better than Macgowan 

Can Baccus play the 10 role he is hard, can get forward and back, last season was sending some very cutting balls forward and has shot from range

just my opinion 

I think Tass is better than both Ziegler and McGowan

Sullivan can play as an 8, l don't know if he can play like a box-to-box midfielder but he looks dynamic enough to play like one. if we are going to play in a 3 man midfield, ideally I'd like to see Schwegler, Baccus and Sullivan playing together. Just think back to the Melbourne Victory game early this season and how much control Schwegler had in the midfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erubus , I thought Ziegler was over the knee issues ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Schwegler at 10 would be able to put the ball at Meiers feet rectifying our goal scoring woes? Build the team and formation around those 2 at AM and striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Keithie said:

Erubus , I thought Ziegler was over the knee issues ?

Wasn't his knee the reason he didn't play in the Jets game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schwegler is not a 10. Just because you are a quality passer does not mean you can adapt to a new position. Playing Number 10 means you completely revert you're playing stance, instead of seeing everything and being able to open yourself up when receiving the ball, at number 10 you are expect to have you're back to the goal, to turn and play lateral.  

We just need Schwegler on the ball more. We need him picking up the ball from our defence more. We need him to be comfortable pushing up beyond half way. It has not all been the squads fault, against the Jets Schwegler was guilty of being passive, he wasn't actively finding space for himself. 

I contribute his ineffectiveness to how conscious we are of the counter and how poor we deal with it. When partnered with Sullivan he has played with more freedom, and we have dealt with the counter better and matched up well in midfield. 

Baccus is one of our most talented midfield players with the ball but our worst in a structured defence. I would rather see us ditch the number 10 role in favour of playing schwegler as a lone DM and Baccus/Sullivan as two advanced midfielder. OR drop Baccus to the bench and use him for impact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would we lose our best hardman in the midfield so he can make a few nice passes further up the park?

Schwegler is a DM. How many last ditch tackles or plays has he broken up? That's his role. The sweet passing is a value add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Babbel hinged the AM role solely for Majewski...when he got taken out at training he had no backup for the position. Hence Mueller and Meier.

We have no visa spots available so any incoming AM's in a transfer window would be Aussie and we aren't flush with those as a nation at the minute.

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Why would we lose our best hardman in the midfield so he can make a few nice passes further up the park?

Schwegler is a DM. How many last ditch tackles or plays has he broken up? That's his role. The sweet passing is a value add.

Yup. But i wouldn't say his passing is a bonus. A DM should be able to control the tempo. It's funny. We crave this number 10. Since Ono we have never had an effective number 10. We complain about holes in our squad and we watch Babbel try fit square pegs into round ones. 

BUT, we have a perfect squad to play without a number 10! Add O'doherty when he is also fit and he would suit this formation to a tee!

----------------------Schwegler---------------------

----------Baccus-------------------Sullivan----------

----Muller-------------------------------------Duke-----

---------------------Meier-----------------------------

 

We don't have any comfortable number 10's. But we have Baccus, Sullivan and O'doherty who love to move around the pitch. We have Muller and Yeboah who like the touchline and to get in behind. We have Duke who wants to cut inside and shoot, would be equally effective up front in this formation. We have Meier who rarely looks comfortable with the long ball regardless of his height, but would be perfect dropping deep to link up. The number 10 is not make or break, play to our strengths, or at least give it a go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Davo said:

Wasn't his knee the reason he didn't play in the Jets game?

Ziegler was on the bench for the Jets game and worked hard at training last Thursday also looked ok during warmup for the game , be suprised if he is not close to 100% on the knee and we need to get him to 100% fitness, I still think him and Jurman are better choices and playing Dee Dee midfield format with my alterations below :

                               Lopar

----Kamau----Ziegler---Jurman--Georgesvski--- 

----------------------Schwegler-------------------------

----------Baccus-------------------Sullivan------------

----Muller-------------------------------------Duke-----

-----------------------Yeboah----------------------------

Bench: Willmering, Elrich , Tass, Meir Grozos,McGowan 

My opinion only

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DeeDee said:

 Since Ono we have never had an effective number 10. We complain about holes in our squad and we watch Babbel try fit square pegs into round ones. 

BUT, we have a perfect squad to play without a number 10! Add O'doherty when he is also fit and he would suit this formation to a tee!

 

Mitch Nichols....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...