Wanderers Robbed In Auckland

the entire handball thing has been ridiculous imo, kick the ball into a defenders arm for a free pen pretty much :P i dont think the penalty for us against CCM was a pen, i dont like it if its helping us or not helping us, i maintain his hand was not in a natural position just like bozza said, i am not saying bozza is right always but i agree with him in this instance

4 hours ago, papersun said:

A couple of penalty shouts in the Brighton v Wolves match this morning. The first one, the Brighton defender is on the ground and the ball accidentally touched his hand,  reviewed by VAR and penalty not given, also another where ball blasted in arm or hand not even awarded or reviewed.

Seems like different interpretations in the Old Dart, which I agree with by the way.

There was another one the night before in the Manchester derby. Player slid in to block a cross and the ball hit the lower hand. It was waved away by the on field referee and the decision confirmed by the VAR.

On 08/12/2019 at 6:37 AM, Prydzopolis said:

This is the way that Babbel wants us to play, score a goal & then be set up well defensively. We have shown that we are very comfortable setting up deep, being hard to break down but this leaves us exposed.

Popa did the same thing except we were playing more possession based by keeping the ball and letting the opposition to chase us, not so much under Babbel

19 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The VHS tape runs out by then

Im picturing Murray from flight of the conchords asking the questions too

I'm now picturing this....with Babbel as Alby his racism replaced by a bad attitude to referees and the angry villagers the media....

Edited by Potkorok
clarification
2 hours ago, SBW said:

Popa did the same thing except we were playing more possession based by keeping the ball and letting the opposition to chase us, not so much under Babbel

We were solid under Popa, we ground teams down and if went ahead it was really hard for anyone to come back. We held possession well..didnt always do much with it and rarely looked like blowing sides away and not always pretty but we controlled games, everyone knew their role and did it to the max.

The Brissy game at home was a disgrace for me. A really poor side and we sat back and let them come on, but never in control. There were a few here that tried to justify the tactics in that game (midfield and whatever else), but in my opinion it was the worst this season even though we got a point.I never want to sit through a home game like that again. Letting a bag of shite control the game at our new home lol.

Edited by Smoggy
6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Schweglers should have treated as ball to hand and as he was not deliberately making his silhouette bigger.

The Ifab interpretation on deflection off the head onto the are is not a penalty (In the Melb Victory game). That makes 2 mistakes by Daniel Elder against us.

"Mistakes" would imply that he did not intentionally screw us over.

49 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

We were solid under Popa, we ground teams down and if went ahead it was really hard for anyone to come back. We held possession well..didnt always do much with it and rarely looked like blowing sides away and not always pretty but we controlled games, everyone knew their role and did it to the max.

The Brissy game at home was a disgrace for me. A really poor side and we sat back and let them come on, but never in control. There were a few here that tried to justify the tactics in that game (midfield and whatever else), but in my opinion it was the worst this season even though we got a point.I never want to sit through a home game like that again. Letting a bag of shite control the game at our new home lol.

Whilst we had a couple of good years under Popa (mainly the first two), there were plenty of times when we were all left disappointing due to passing backwards, sidewards and being generally ineffective going forward. Only to lose by a goal on the single attempt by the other team. 

The most disappointing things for me is that nothing has been learnt or changed since that time, including the year we made the final against Adelaide. We still struggle in the front half of the pitch and without the score board pressure teams are able to gain confidence with their own attacking, knowing that we have nothing. 

17 minutes ago, billybob said:

Whilst we had a couple of good years under Popa (mainly the first two), there were plenty of times when we were all left disappointing due to passing backwards, sidewards and being generally ineffective going forward. Only to lose by a goal on the single attempt by the other team. 

The most disappointing things for me is that nothing has been learnt or changed since that time, including the year we made the final against Adelaide. We still struggle in the front half of the pitch and without the score board pressure teams are able to gain confidence with their own attacking, knowing that we have nothing. 

Fair comments..and i said under Popa that for all the possession sometimes we did **** all and it was a grind. I remember a few Jets and Nix games at old Parra especially being a drag..they were blips on the road though with a reaction of sorts to follow.

Watching the Brissy game i didnt have a  ******* clue what the plan was.

Just now, Smoggy said:

Fair comments..and i said under Popa that for all the possession sometimes we did **** all and it was a grind. I remember a few Jets and Nix games at old Parra especially being a drag..they were blips on the road though with a reaction of sorts to follow.

Watching the Brissy game i didnt have a  ******* clue what the plan was.

Season 1 and 2 we were direct in our play. Season 3 we started transitioning to procession play. 4 was procession based but good footy, 5 was just dreadful, tried to be procession based without the players to do it, although we went more direct after Jan.

I have no idea what we are trying to do this year. The only good game we have played was Victory away and even that we were hanging  on at the end.

Derby was a great defensive performance since that we have been totally clueless. 

I don't agree that we didn't work to a plan last game nor was it effective.  The problem only came at the very last hurdle.  Yeboah, for example, tried to walk a certain goal across the line and Marinovic pushed it away. You can't get any closer to scoring in the set up than that a few other opportunities. Marinovic made a few other very good saves and saved their butts big time.  Jurman header, Muller shot. Duke (?) shot fingered onto the cross bar...  Against Newy, Duke had 2 sitters and there were a couple of other chances.  These were real chances, created by the team.  Against Phoenix we were very dominant, fixed the midfield... We just couldn't put the final ball in the net - a major problem I concede but it is a finishing problem not a creation problem.  In terms of the game (until the failed structural change to 3 at the back), we played very well.  Of course Phoenix had chances and had times of pressure.  No team is ever so dominant that the opposition never has the ball or challenges.  If (and it was unfortunately an 'if' to far) we had finished 2-3 of the very good chances we had in the first 20-25 minutes, it would have been a very different story.

My point is that we played very well, created very good chances but they were not put away - that is the main problem and it remains a WSW issue from many years.  We have not had the personnel to take that last shot, to take charge on the box and out away opportunities.  Sometimes we have had one player (eg Riera and Santalab, and Fathead perhaps) but not enough others to chip in - this has been the case for a few years.  Our coaches have largely been defensive players (except Milicic - not sure what Haliti's role is now?) and we ahven't had good offensive coaching I suspect???

Our problem remains the midfield. The 6, 8 and 10 positions. Too often there is a lack or movement with a desire to play forward. As a result, forwards stand flat footed awaiting something. Often get the ball in tight space and have to fight to keep possession. 

The lack of confidence in possesion means that the LB and RB will struggle to feel confident pushing on and making the overload we see Grant at Sydney do routinely. Lest they get sprung on the counter and give away a soft goal, something we do routinely. 

When our midfield find time on the ball Georgevski and Wilmering look so much better. 

I think we looked best in this regard when Sullivan played 10 against Vics (is that right?). 

What have we got to lose? Start Meier, Muller on the left, Duke on the right. Yebs and Kamau on the bench. Sullivan at 10 and press high early. Schwegler to give Castro a kicking in his own half and our season might start here. 

Yeah Sullivan looked lively and capable when we are losing its always fun as pundit to tell the coach what we should do 

for me sullivan for baccus is a must at the moment - baccus kills me when he gets stuck in two minds and just losses it sullivan at least has shown he has a bit of Xfactor too make things happen I think he’s the spark we might need 

for as good as Schwegler is at breaking up plan creativity isn’t what he Brought him in for 

DG has shown he’s a beast at bombing forward the ball needs to come quicker the play needs to be faster id actually like to see us without baccus for this reason just to see if it makes a difference 

I’m not anti baccus I just don’t think when ur 4 games without a win you keep the same personnel mix it up 

and start that **** Kraut he’s not hear for a holiday since you benched him u lost every game 

sorry for kraut reference my anger is increasing as I type 😂

17 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Yeboah, for example, tried to walk a certain goal across the line and Marinovic pushed it away. You can't get any closer to scoring in the set up than that a few other opportunities. Marinovic made a few other very good saves and saved their butts big time. 

Yeboah does way too much and he over does it, it reminds me of what Castalen use to do. Couple of times against the Jets he gets into good scoring positions but he kills the opportunity by trying tun around the defenders and he just loses possession, he did the same like you mentioned against the Nux, I have said last week for Yeboah, more is less, he needs a stint on the bench.

4 minutes ago, SBW said:

Yeboah does way too much and he over does it, it reminds me of what Castalen use to do. Couple of times against the Jets he gets into good scoring positions but he kills the opportunity by trying tun around the defenders and he just loses possession, he did the same like you mentioned against the Nux, I have said last week for Yeboah, more is less, he needs a stint on the bench.

If only he was close to the class of castelan 

This may just be me and how I see it but we seem to get in each others way when we get close or in the box. I rarely see us try a little chip into the air looking for a header by our players in space..... instead we have players in congested areas trying to shoot between a horde of arms and legs. Look at the derby....even though we won.....ESFC came close multiple times using this tactics. Although tbh we have to get the ball up there in the first place.:ninja:

1 minute ago, sonar said:

This may just be me and how I see it but we seem to get in each others way when we get close or in the box. I rarely see us try a little chip into the air looking for a header by our players in space..... instead we have players in congested areas trying to shoot between a horde of arms and legs. Look at the derby....even though we won.....ESFC came close multiple times using this tactics. Although tbh we have to get the ball up there in the first place.:ninja:

Not slick enough is it. But then look at the DG pass for our goal, that was sublime and has kinda been lost in the post match meltdown. Those are the kind of moves we need to work on and execute. 

Had we scored such a goal firsr half I am still not sure we would have held on lol

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Not slick enough is it. But then look at the DG pass for our goal, that was sublime and has kinda been lost in the post match meltdown.

This.^^^^

We can do it....at the moment we're struggling....Don't know what the answer is tbh. The managers job to sort this but  I'm not sure he can.....very frustrating to watch when you see we CAN do it.

I have somehow managed to get behind the DT paywall :ninja:

Wanderers players call for clarity from refs over VAR calls, as Babbel waits on punishment
Nicholas Rupolo and Tom Smithies, The Daily Telegraph
December 9, 2019 8:01pm
Subscriber only

Western Sydney players have called for greater clarity over the VAR’s decisions, as coach Markus Babbel waits to hear how much trouble he is in for alluding to a conspiracy against his team from match officials.

The Wanderers have been left furious at another pivotal intervention from the video referee, resulting in Wellington Phoenix getting a late penalty to win Saturday’s clash in Auckland 2-1.

Though Babbel had not received any communication from A-League officials by close of play Monday, the Wanderers boss seems certain to face a stiff punishment for claiming “there is something behind it” over the contentious VAR calls against his team.

"Once it can happen, twice, but three times in a row, then I think it's a bit personal against me,” he said. "Of course frustration is there because you have the feeling you play against 12 players.”

Wanderers captain Mitch Duke said his frustration had been magnified by seeing a consensus of opinion form against the Schwegler decision, including pundit Mark Bosnich deriding it on Fox Sports.

“When you watch it over and over 90 per cent of the people will agree with how we feel the decisions should have gone (or) you see [Mark] Bosnich on the panel and people all over the place saying that … I’d love for (the referees) to come and discuss how they made those decisions,” Duke said.

“Explain how that’s a handball from Pirmin, a bullet from close range, he’s literally pulled his arms into his body. Tell me how it’s not a clear penalty against Newcastle Jets (for Western Sydney the week before).

“The VAR is supposed to eradicate these kinds of issues, (but) it’s always up for debate whether they are getting these decisions right.”

Teammate Dylan McGowan called for the communications between the referee and the VAR to be made public, to give players and fans a sense of the criteria being used.

A-League bosses have sought to use the audio feed for broadcast, but so far been blocked by FIFA.

“Throughout the league there’s been decisions for us, against us, and no-one knows where they stand on a few things,” McGowan said.

“It’s hard to criticise too much because we don’t know what’s being said between referees and VAR. I think if the communication was clearer and the TV (viewers) got to hear what was going on it would help us to know what they are looking for and what they’re after.

“I don’t think there’s any harm in that. The referees are doing the best job they can. I don’t think there’s any harm in those conversations being open to the public.

“I think it would stop the criticism. From a players’ perspective, a little more clarity would be nice.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/western-sydney/wanderers-players-call-for-clarity-from-refs-over-var-calls-as-babbel-waits-on-punishment/news-story/3600d8e1ddfcc51898cce14c44ee9672

25 minutes ago, sonar said:

Perhaps if we were a little better in ball retention we don't get into situations we have in the last three games with dodgy calls.........:ninja:

That's true up to a point. But then you get decisions like the penalty against us v City and the offside against us v Easts last season. And there are way too many others for us and other teams as well.

2 hours ago, sonar said:

Am I the only one that feels like we don't do any long range striking? Past three games it feels like we're trying to Barcelona everything with tap ins and tight angle combos. 

1 minute ago, ZachMercer said:

Am I the only one that feels like we don't do any long range striking? Past three games it feels like we're trying to Barcelona everything with tap ins and tight angle combos. 

Nope. You're not alone in that.

Baccus's cracker is the only one for us that I can think of this season.

51 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

The strategy for a few seasons seems to be, let's not take an open shot at goal (whether it be close or far), let's wait until the defense is set and then pass to a player who is in a worse position. Or am I missing something?