AFC Champions League 2020

Carns

38 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I was out of the country when Sydney announced their squad; was Ninkovic omitted and if so, what was the reason?

In a nut shell Sydney FC aren't taking the Champions league seriously and just want to consolidate the A-league trophy so Ninkovic was omitted

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I also agree with this to an extent. When teams are buying players such as Hulk, Oscar, Giovinco who are top, top players its going to be pretty hard to beat teams with such individual brilliance as well as other technically brilliant players. You also have to consider these J-League teams are in bloody pre-season and they are doing that to our Australian champions.

I think that the clubs can be competitive but certainly won't ever get anywhere near latter rounds of the knockout stages.

I would counter your speaking of Chinese super league teams that take superstar players.

Yokohama F Marinos core team is Japanese with a few Brazilians (not of Hulk and Elkeson level) and reinforced by players from J2. As Ange put it last season Yokohama had 14 decent players out of 27 the rest were dead weight and this season strengthened the squad with over for 7 new young players from J2. 

Number of things their squad is larger but the main players destroying Sydney Fc were local players. And the argument of increasing the salary cap doesn't resonate with me as it isn't going to increase the quality of our Aussie players. You have 3 foreigners plus 1 Asian player you still have to field 7-8 local players, I don't fully buy into getting rid of the salary cap will automatically increase the playing ability but I would talk about squad depth and then tactics to try and even the odds.

You need to separate A-league and champions league. Your playing against the best in Asia so you have to adapt to different styles and any errors are usually punished at this level. The best teams were Adelaide under Aurelio Vidmar twice once final against Endo's Gamba Osaka the other at quarter finals where they lost against Bunyodkor and  the 2014 champions Wanderers, the main theme is that no neither of them were great teams but they were solid defensively and it got them through the phases.

Edited by Sithslayer1991
3 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

How delusional is Corica in his press conference claiming not playing for 3 weeks effected them when they are playing a team in preseason. Got outplayed and schooled by Ange. 

If they had played he'd be complaing about too many matches.

14 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Agree, a good read, restating a sentiment I've seen before, but:

Ange Postecoglou v Sydney FC. Australia’s best domestically-produced coach v the A-League’s first serial win machine.

But over 90-plus minutes of exhilarating football, the four-time NSL and A-League championship winner

SFC an NSL winner?!?!

14 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Agree, a good read, restating a sentiment I've seen before, but:

Ange Postecoglou v Sydney FC. Australia’s best domestically-produced coach v the A-League’s first serial win machine.

But over 90-plus minutes of exhilarating football, the four-time NSL and A-League championship winner

SFC an NSL winner?!?!

Isn't it referring to Ange? He won two NSL championships with South Melbourne and two A-League championships with Brisbane.

2 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

I was out of the country when Sydney announced their squad; was Ninkovic omitted and if so, what was the reason?

Ninkovic actually requested he be left out. He's now 35 and didn't want to try and deal with the travel. It was known before the squads were announced that he wouldn't be a part of it. Wanted to focus on the campaign at home.

3 hours ago, Davo said:

Isn't it referring to Ange? He won two NSL championships with South Melbourne and two A-League championships with Brisbane.

Aaah. But even rereading it I see ambiguity. Probably just me.

Looks like some ACL games will be postponed til April

J-League are looking to postpone games this weekend till March 15.

K-League have postponed games till mid-late March.

CSL unlikely to begin til May

Never going to be one for the ages but that last goal, JEO defender under no pressure misses a header in the middle of the field leading to Syd attacking on goal & then goal keeper not defending his near post.

Oh wow, how did they miss that? Looks like JEO taking control of the game now

6 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Oh wow, how did they miss that? Looks like JEO taking control of the game now

And another now!

Cant wait for another Bossi write up of this one. JEO escapes with a win or lucky JEO create many chances but only lucky enough to win by one? 

3 minutes ago, mack said:

Korean defender gets red carded for the ball going into his stomach, gets red carded. A minute earlier up the pitch King pulled down a Jeonbuk attacker who turned clean through on goal and got away with a yellow card.

A-League tier officiating.

They had two defenders on one, one of them looked to be in front of the attacker. Again it’s that critical question with DOGSO, must be “obvious”

On the red card, yes that’s the one that I feel the most sympathy & it completely changed the game for Sydney. Did he make his body bigger? I would have argued that he couldn’t move his body elsewhere. Very very harsh