AFC Champions League 2020

Carns

In all seriousness you need to ask why they keep failing when you watch the games the A-league teams  aren't far off these teams. The big issue is that when the chance comes around for the A-league teams they more than often scuff it, where as the Asian team just need one chance and its over. And if your not set up properly you get killed.

Their problem is that in the A-League they play like the dominant team. They control possession, flood players forward with fullbacks like Grant effectively playing as an extra winger and if they get caught out they'll start the tactical fouling, knowing A-League referees are too weak to book them. They can't play like that in Asia, where they're pretty much guaranteed to have a lot less possession and referees will send your players off if they keep fouling to stop counters.

When we won it we were playing in the league like the underdogs. We started with a super solid defense that didn't rely on tactical fouling for protection, didn't worry too much about possession and hit teams on the counter. That's exactly how A-League teams need to play in the ACL so it came naturally to us. The game plan didn't change, just the quality of opposition.

8 hours ago, Davo said:

Their problem is that in the A-League they play like the dominant team. They control possession, flood players forward with fullbacks like Grant effectively playing as an extra winger and if they get caught out they'll start the tactical fouling, knowing A-League referees are too weak to book them. They can't play like that in Asia, where they're pretty much guaranteed to have a lot less possession and referees will send your players off if they keep fouling to stop counters.

When we won it we were playing in the league like the underdogs. We started with a super solid defense that didn't rely on tactical fouling for protection, didn't worry too much about possession and hit teams on the counter. That's exactly how A-League teams need to play in the ACL so it came naturally to us. The game plan didn't change, just the quality of opposition.

I think you're over-analysing here....AFC referees let a lot more go than ours (Japanese especially :xnod:). Fact is there's plenty of games they should have won but choked !!

5 minutes ago, mack said:

Perth with a typical Australian ACL loss. Played well, managed to take the lead with a fluke and then collapse in a heap in the last 10. 2-1 Ulsan.

Was just going to post....lol

Perth went down 1-2.

0-0 at HT

Then Perth led 1-0 when they scored at 71min...

,...then they conceded in the 89th and 90+3 (5min extra time.)

Tbh Perth didn't look that good.....then again neither did Ulsan.....lol

Edited by sonar

As much as I can take amusement from sydney, victory and Perth being crap in the acl 

It’s not great for us, less ACL spots for Australian teams, and the Evertonian in me knows that whatever spot that gets dropped will be the one we finish in 

3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

For anyone wanting to revel and enjoy ESFC's pain in this current campaign even more, I have just watched this.

Again. For about the 10th time. 

Enjoy!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whenever we got smashed in games over the last 3/4 seasons I watched.it. I think I can do the commentary word for word........:D

Only 10.....amateur....lol......:ninja:

:D

Dunno...but I assumed so...or was that a replay??

Just switched over...to a  Perth game...which I assume is live??

Haven't really been following any of it, but figured nodding off on the lounge watching  some ACL would be better than falling asleep watching Vera on the ABC!

:lol::lol:

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Dunno...but I assumed so...or was that a replay??

Just switched over...to a  Perth game...which I assume is live??

Haven't really been following any of it, but figured nodding off on the lounge watching  some ACL would be better than falling asleep watching Vera on the ABC!

:lol::lol:

Ok. Live games tonight

Melb Victory v Beijing (Guoan) FC

Ulsan Hyundai v Perth

Smurfs play Shanghai SIPG on Wed 2 Dec. Then they face Postecoglou 

Overnight, Shanghai SIPG beat Yokohama F Marinos 2-1. 

With 2 group games to go both of these teams are on 9 pts and have qualified for the knockout stage barring the disaster of Jeonbuk winning both their last 2 games.

The result has definitely killed the Smurfs with Aaron Mooy coming on the second half and helping to put a nail in their smugness