Babbel Sackwatch Thread

Babbel Sackwatch Thread  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Babbel Out?

• Yes, sack Babbel.
    • No, keep Babbel.

8 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I would argue it’s more attractive now. 

Then you have some flexibility in terms of shaping your roster next season, otherwise it’s just like gombau and babbel... spending a season waiting to free some roster spots to acquire your preferred footballers. 

I 100% agree, to anyone with a brain its more attractive to be given 15 games to see your squad. But coaches travel the world, they don't want to see a bloke sacked after 5 months and the next one punted before the halfway mark of the contract - thats more what I was referring to.

Considering Muscat is essentially off the table we should be having a serious think about the likes of Papas.

8 hours ago, sonar said:

We started the season full of hope and as each game passes that hope becomes less and less and we get to a stage where we are just hopeless....:P

This season is a write off. May squeeze sixth and a first week knock out if lucky.

ESFC walking the comp and will win GF.

This season is done. We are garbage. 

Edited by Smoggy
44 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

This season is a write off. May squeeze sixth and a first week knock out if lucky.

ESFC walking the comp and will win GF.

This season is done. We are garbage. 

Sadly, I think you are right.

For all his greatness on the pitch MB's tactical ability off it seems non existent at times. As was pointed out here we have won 10 of 39 games.

It's not just a lack of quality players, we have those. Something is amiss.Not what we deserve to be fair. 

Tbh another player cull will do nothing more than ensure the merry-go-round of being in the bottom half of the table continues. I fear we may lose some very good players at seasons end.....:sorry2:

There's no culture at the club anymore it seems. No one fights for each other or the badge.

Is it the coaches fault- maybe? Players- maybe? Something up top- probably?

What do you think as a player when you joint a club that pucks off the 3/4 of the squad every season? Most likely "grab my paycheck and go" after seasons end. 

That being said, give Babbel the season, no other coach will turn us around in this mess anyway. 

Edited by WSWgun
2 hours ago, WSWgun said:

That being said, give Babbel the season, no other coach will turn us around in this mess anyway. 

He’s got to go now, he’s not going to turn it round someone else “might” worth a shot.

We are in a league with a top 6 finals and only one team playing well, if we get our **** together then top 4 is doable and then it’s a lottery

this club gets more like Everton every week 

Edited by StringerBellend
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

this club gets more like Everton every week 

If we had someone like Carlo Ancelotti just lying around waiting for a job then I’d agree with you. 

There won’t be a long list of managers who are waiting for a job to come up in Australia, ready to travel at a moments notice. Most of them will be in jobs till the end of June.

———

It’s babbel’s team, he has it set up the way he wants. Unless you’re going to bring over the next Babbel v2.0, it does more harm than good. You’ve got reputation of sacking managers, paying out the rest his contract & the damage bringing in a subpar manager mid way through a season (which we all know how that went with the Gombau experiment).

56 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

If we had someone like Carlo Ancelotti just lying around waiting for a job then I’d agree with you. 

There won’t be a long list of managers who are waiting for a job to come up in Australia, ready to travel at a moments notice. Most of them will be in jobs till the end of June.

———

It’s babbel’s team, he has it set up the way he wants. Unless you’re going to bring over the next Babbel v2.0, it does more harm than good. You’ve got reputation of sacking managers, paying out the rest his contract & the damage bringing in a subpar manager mid way through a season (which we all know how that went with the Gombau experiment).

I think we are better off going local, doesn't need to be a "name".

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

———

Yep it’s Babbels team and by end of next week it will be 9th ahead only of CCM (terminal basket case) and Jets (who have acted) 

5 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Yep it’s Babbels team and by end of next week it will be 9th ahead only of CCM (terminal basket case) and Jets (who have acted) 

Agreed, but can't see Merrick being the saviour, sadly.

(Does Tensai have his AFC coaching ticket :ninja: ? At least he had a Wanderers heart as a player)

Edited by wswtragic
2 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

Agreed, but can't see Merrick being the saviour, sadly.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but it is our best chance of getting something out of the season..

- knows the league

- has won it

- is pragmatic (not a philosophy ball manager)

- is available 

- took a side featuring Jason Hoffman to a grand final 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but it is our best chance of getting something out of the season..

- knows the league

- has won it

- is pragmatic (not a philosophy ball manager)

- is available 

- took a side featuring Jason Hoffman to a grand final 

Merrick would sort things out with his experience of the comp and bring some stability i suspect. He wouldnt be the future though if you know what i mean.

Merrick - hard no. 

We’ve had mediocre, Babbel was a step up from mediocre. We need someone willing to develop youth & who can come in and start a new project.

Plenty of talent in NPL, but are we happy to bring in someone without top tier experience & give them time to develop grow? I suspect the tolerance for patience may not be there

13 hours ago, Unlimited said:

His recruitment isn’t great

By contrast, Babbel has excellent recruitment but tactics are questionable

Wouldnt that have have depended on budgets though??

Wouldn't that have always be a limitation for him with the Nix and Jets?

But with MV he had success.

I'd swap...fwiw.

I reckon bring in Merrick as an assistant/tactical coach or something like that.  See how it goes.  Babbel knows the players and supposedly knows what he wants to do but can't get there.  Merrick is the consumate A League coach, with a lot of success - getting Newcastle to the GF was quite an achievement., with a very second level side  He is an attack-minded coach.  I'm not really clear what JP's role is - nor Labi?  Get Merrick in there, with or without Babbel but I suspect that he probably needs to be around as the connection with the German/visa contingent whose expectations and style has not yet gelled with A League.  Merrick could be the link.

I know this is daydreaming and in the world of Pro-football, very unlikely but it is about time we had a team of people working together pooling their strengths and making this club tick as we know it can!  Put egos and ignorance aside, work together, bring in people who can add value and experience and get the job done!!

36 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

His recruitment isn’t great

By contrast, Babbel has excellent recruitment but tactics are questionable

Yeah but the budgets of some of the clubs he was at would’ve been a lot lower than what ours is.

For example, the current owner of the Jets is trying to sell and therefore there are using the most basic least amount of cap.

I personally think for this season, as a short term, he would be great.

There is a German manager currently who has managed massive teams (bigger than Babbel) that has expressed his interest in the A-League and has supposedly been offered jobs by clubs here 👀

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Merrick - hard no. 

We’ve had mediocre, Babbel was a step up from mediocre. We need someone willing to develop youth & who can come in and start a new project.

Plenty of talent in NPL, but are we happy to bring in someone without top tier experience & give them time to develop grow? I suspect the tolerance for patience may not be there

Dude we are 8th and likely to be 9th next week, my patience has gone, we aren’t the Mariners (well we kind of are at the moment)

Edited by StringerBellend
1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Yeah but the budgets of some of the clubs he was at would’ve been a lot lower than what ours is.

For example, the current owner of the Jets is trying to sell and therefore there are using the most basic least amount of cap.

I personally think for this season, as a short term, he would be great.

There is a German manager currently who has managed massive teams (bigger than Babbel) that has expressed his interest in the A-League and has supposedly been offered jobs by clubs here 👀

There was that rumour of an ex Dortmund coach. His record was quite poor though.  

I don’t see us sacking Babbel, although I think we should. We can’t allow him to sign players though for next season like Gombau did (Fitz, Kamau, Elrich, Odoherty)

it’s still Baffles me why we signed kamau and Fitz and not re-sign ikonimidis

2 hours ago, BohemianDublin said:

Merrick's best days are behind him, but as part of Babbel's team... interesting.

That is kind of what I was saying. Having someone of Merrick's experience at the club would be invaluable in sorting the mess out I feel. I agree though that his best days are behind him and he is not the future.

I recall when Boro were struggling under Bryan Robson and were staring relegation in the face, the club was a mess with allegations of a drink culture and other dressing room issues. Gibson brought in Terry Venables as assistant coach for the final 3 months of the season. His experience made a massive difference to the club who stayed up. Babbel is sinking fast, those around him don't have the experience.

The experience of the comp that Merrick has available is rare right now and is someone Babbel could learn much from, all I am saying.

Edited by Smoggy

Also would hardly say Merrick is past it. His past 2 clubs were train wrecks and he managed a GF (screwed over), Took wellington on their best ever ride and did his thang at Victory. 

Given the lack of options id honestly sound him out for a deal until the end of the season with an option of renewing or him becoming a director or coach and finding a successor.

....... if he agrees to play Duke up front and Muller on the wing offcourse.

Merrick is a massive boom/bust cycle manager.

He's managed 13 A-League seasons and I'd say he's only managed to put together good seasons back to back once, with MVC in 2008/9 winning the League & Grand Final then 9/10 finishing 2nd in the league before losing the Grand Final on penalties to SFC (note, despite two good seasons in a row, he never actually won either of the trophies in the second season).

Look at some of the massive drops in win rate he's had. 06/07 from 66% to 28% in 07/08. At Wellington he managed to get to 50% in the 2nd season then plummeted back to 25% then got sacked 8 games into his 4th season there. At the Jets 55% in his first season, down to 37% next year then 18% this season when he got sacked. And remember that with the Jets he still only finished 2nd in the league, massively behind SFC, and then choked in the Grand Final after the Victory's VAR failure goal, at home.

Merrick's highs have gotten lower and lower over the course of his managerial career, while he reached new lows with the 18% win rate this season. Even Babbel didn't get as low as 18% last season. Yes, ownership problems are partly to blame for this Nix & Jets collapses, but it's not like Lederer & JT are immune to making mistakes that impact on the football team. Arguably Babbel is only here because they made a mistake with how they handled sacking Gombau because Riera didn't like him (among other less obvious issues, like failing to stop Popa leaving right before the season started to go to a nothing club in Turkey).

Feels utterly pointless to sack Babbel just to install Merrick. If we were going to poach anyone from Newcastle we'd be better off taking Lawrie McKinna to be a technical director of football operations so JT can stick to the business side of things only.

7 hours ago, mack said:

Merrick is a massive boom/bust cycle manager.

He's managed 13 A-League seasons and I'd say he's only managed to put together good seasons back to back once, with MVC in 2008/9 winning the League & Grand Final then 9/10 finishing 2nd in the league before losing the Grand Final on penalties to SFC (note, despite two good seasons in a row, he never actually won either of the trophies in the second season).

Look at some of the massive drops in win rate he's had. 06/07 from 66% to 28% in 07/08. At Wellington he managed to get to 50% in the 2nd season then plummeted back to 25% then got sacked 8 games into his 4th season there. At the Jets 55% in his first season, down to 37% next year then 18% this season when he got sacked. And remember that with the Jets he still only finished 2nd in the league, massively behind SFC, and then choked in the Grand Final after the Victory's VAR failure goal, at home.

Merrick's highs have gotten lower and lower over the course of his managerial career, while he reached new lows with the 18% win rate this season. Even Babbel didn't get as low as 18% last season. Yes, ownership problems are partly to blame for this Nix & Jets collapses, but it's not like Lederer & JT are immune to making mistakes that impact on the football team. Arguably Babbel is only here because they made a mistake with how they handled sacking Gombau because Riera didn't like him (among other less obvious issues, like failing to stop Popa leaving right before the season started to go to a nothing club in Turkey).

Feels utterly pointless to sack Babbel just to install Merrick. If we were going to poach anyone from Newcastle we'd be better off taking Lawrie McKinna to be a technical director of football operations so JT can stick to the business side of things only.

That's what I've been asking, do we have a football operations manager?, it seems the answer is no.  I wouldn't be against appointing Ernie Merrick to that position if he was interested.

Still think the sooner Markus Babbel is gone the better, but some sort of external review of the whole club structure is needed probably before a new permanent head coach is appointed.

Edited by papersun
grammar
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic