Wanderers Crumble To 5 Straight Losses

Perth have kept a clean sheet and dominated the stats with a simple 2-0 win over a dire Wanderers outfit in Perth tonight.

The early news out of Western Australia on a sweltering day was the Wanderers outstanding goalkeeper Daniel Lopar missing the match with illness. Nick Suman added another to his small tally of A-League games in between the sticks.

Just a minute into the game the Wanderers almost opened the scoring. Nicolai Muller playing in the middle put Yeboah through on goal but had his shot smothered by Reddy. The rebound fell to Captain Mitch Duke and he aimed a curling strike at the top corner, but could only glance the post. Perth Glory had their first major action in the 8th minute, Diego Castro freeing himself up for a shot that streaked along the ground and was pushed away to safety by Suman.

Perth took the lead in the 18th minute from a goalmouth scramble and a heavy slice of luck. Neil Kilkenny's corner was met with a flick-on from Mrcela, a desperate bicycle kick from Fornaroli redirected back to the near post for Ikonomidis, and his header bounced off the crossbar and straight onto the head of Gregory Wuthrich and the ball rebounded back across the goal line. An unlucky goal to concede but one that should never have happened, as the defence failed three times to prevent Perth from keeping the ball in play.

The Wanderers had absolutely nothing going for them in attack the entire half apart from that very early shot, dismally ineffective build up play, boring static sideways passes between the central defenders and midfielders unable to hold onto the ball. The only minor positive was that Perth were relatively ineffective on their own after the goal and couldn't score a second that might have killed the game before the break.

Marquee Alexander Meier made his way onto the pitch for Bruce Kamau as the sides came out for half-time. Perth and Western Sydney traded ineffective attacks until the 55th minute when James Meredith blasted a shot into a desperate block from Daniel Georgievski. Ikonomidis then headed a Meredith cross just shy of the inside of the far post after beating Tarek Elrich's challenge. Meredith shot straight at Suman in the 62nd minute, as Perth piled on the pressure.

Perth finally scored their second in the 66th minute. From a simple Jake Brimmer wide set piece, the Wanderers completely failed to mark up against defender Alex Grant, Alex Meier's attempted clearance was little more than a flick-on towards the back post, the rest of the defence stood around watching and waiting for another player to do something and it let Grant bring the ball down with his right before blasting a low shot past Suman.

Western Sydney continued their inept first half, managing just one shot on target in the 2nd, barely troubling the home side. The game fizzled out, there was little urgency from the side two goals down, a fact that the intense heat may have contributed to, but is not an acceptable excuse after this many losses in a row.

This makes 5 losses on the trot, plus a poor 0-0 draw against Brisbane. Regardless of how much truth was in the reports of the imminent sacking of Babbel & hiring of Kevin Muscat, 5 losses in a row and little reason to expect that figure won't jump to 7 by the end of the year, the Wanderers leadership will surely be looking into alternative coaches now.

The Wanderers face Western United at Parramatta on Friday December 20, kick-off at 7:30PM.

View full article

1 point since October. Not 1 win, not 1 trophy; 1 point. 

Myth.

Fraud.

Hoax.

Didn’t get his signings right, can’t get his formations right. 

“Oh but he’s German” 🙄🙄

You don’t realise you have until it’s gone. In 5 seasons Popa only missed the finals once, with much less than what we have currently. Even in the season we did miss the finals, he won the champions league for f*ck sake. Not to mention since coming back he’s made another grand final and dragged his side back into the top 6. 

Can’t see a miracle from here, we already used ours up in round 3. 

4 minutes ago, Beer said:

Myth.

Fraud.

Hoax.

“Oh but he’s German” 🙄🙄

You don’t realise you have until it’s gone. In 5 seasons Popa only missed the finals once, with much less than what we have currently. Even in the season we did miss the finals, he won the champions league for f*ck sake. Not to mention since coming back he’s made another grand final and dragged his side back into the top 6. 

Yeah, this.

Duke and Muller are at the wrong positions.

I've said it multiple times...we've had wins in 5-3-2, 4-1-4-1 and 4-3-3, why isn't Babbel using these formations?. 

Next home game is massive...6 in a row and the pressure may well be too much on Babbel.

I think we are really poor value to watch, turgid (Brissy at home was a shocker), one dimensional, easy to work out, lacking in ideas and execution, players not knowing their roles, wrong positions and marquees not stepping up.....its all in there. Some did put a shift in today, there was some effort, but as a team it just isn't working.

Edited by Smoggy
5 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Anyone think he can turn it round?

I am sick of saying 'need to see a reaction', I am going next week expecting us to get done over yet again.

Will do well to get 10k in.

Edited by Smoggy
2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Why wait? If he's not going to turn it around might as well see if someone else can

Because we have tried it before and it did not work. The new coach will need time, he won't have his players, the players will be more interested in who they are signing for next season.....etc etc we have seen all before. 

We need some stability at this club, since popa left we changed more coaches than Italy changed governments.😊

Absolutely distraught.

I became a member of this club in the second year at SOP. I had been to and watched many games at Pirtek Stadium the previous seasons, for example a 3-0 win vs Perth at home and the famous 5-4 semi final win vs  the Roar.

Every year the club talks up its chances of winning the league. This year, Lederer went as far to say he promised success this year.

After the shambolic seasons at SOP, I was very excited about this season especially, the new stadium, supposedly flashy Bundesliga players and a stacked team that should be competing for the title. A manager who has worked in one of the best leagues in the world. It seemed like it could almost be a fairytale story.

3 games in, despite clear poor performances our team showed heart and managed to grind out games somewhat reminiscent of the ACL campaign. 

Since our impossible win vs Sydney FC our luck has changed and our true skill has really started to show. Babbel has absolutely no tactical game at all (playing players out of position, no style of play, mentality???, most retarded substitutions I have ever witnessed etc).

I have been told by various youth/first team players what they do in training is all predictable, basic all being led by De Marigny with no input by Babbel.

it is only recently that speculation of losing his job that Babbel starts to put more effort into training sessions and be verbally heard in training. To me that is absolutely sh*t mentality.

WHy does it take you until there is speculation of losing your job to  do this?

BAbbel asked for his own team this season and he has been given it. For me there has been absolutely no evidence to show he is capable to 1. Lead this team forward and 2. Lead this team to the title.

With the inclusion of Macarthur next year im trully worried that many of our members (fake fans) will ditch us for them because of these results and performances. THis is a comment trend I feel in sport across Australia.

i trully believe we need change. Not in manager but in ownership. There has been a downward trend since they have come in and im afraid it is ownly going to continue. 

These performances and results arent what the hard working people of Western Sydney want or deserve. They dont deserve to pay their hard earnt money for this crap.

We have to turn this around :sorry:

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST
8 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Absolutely distraught.

I became a member of this club in the second year at SOP. I had been to and watched many games at Pirtek Stadium the previous seasons, for example a 3-0 win vs Perth at home and the famous 5-4 semi final win vs  the Roar.

Every year the club talks up its chances of winning the league. This year, Lederer went as far to say he promised success this year.

After the shambolic seasons at SOP, I was very excited about this season especially, the new stadium, supposedly flashy Bundesliga players and a stacked team that should be competing for the title. A manager who has worked in one of the best leagues in the world. It seemed like it could almost be a fairytale story.

3 games in, despite clear poor performances our team showed heart and managed to grind out games somewhat reminiscent of the ACL campaign. 

Since our impossible win vs Sydney FC our luck has changed and our true skill has really started to show. Babbel has absolutely no tactical game at all (playing players out of position, no style of play, mentality???, most retarded substitutions I have ever witnessed etc).

I have been told by various youth/first team players what they do in training is all predictable, basic all being led by De Marigny with no input by Babbel.

it is only recently that speculation of losing his job that Babbel starts to put more effort into training sessions and be verbally heard in training. To me that is absolutely sh*t mentality.

WHy does it take you until there is speculation of losing your job to  do this?

BAbbel asked for his own team this season and he has been given it. For me there has been absolutely no evidence to show he is capable to 1. Lead this team forward and 2. Lead this team to the title.

With the inclusion of Macarthur next year im trully worried that many of our members (fake fans) will ditch us for them because of these results and performances. THis is a comment trend I feel in sport across Australia.

i trully believe we need change. Not in manager but in ownership. There has been a downward trend since they have come in and im afraid it is ownly going to continue. 

These performances and results arent what the hard working people of Western Sydney want or deserve. They dont deserve to pay their hard earnt money for this crap.

We have to turn this around :sorry:

Do you think that the owners having sunk more than $40m in getting the club to this stage are happy with how the team is performing?

10 minutes ago, Flytox said:

Do you think that the owners having sunk more than $40m in getting the club to this stage are happy with how the team is performing?

I understand that but it has been there choice on who they bring in as a manager and how they spend on players (regarding wage budget). We now have a world class training facility that they have invested in but no results are showing.

It all starts from the top where the owners do what they want and their choices (for example: manager) clearly haven’t been the correct ones whether that be keeping or sacking managers. Their decisions effect who they bring in as a manager and THEN the manager can effect the team. 

As I said it all starts from the top

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST

I don't think the 'owners are sinking money in' argument is valid, they're in it to make money. It's an investment for them, it's a love for Western Sydney for the rest of us.

We're just the idiots who keep renewing our memberships because Lederer stood on a stage in Parramatta and said this is our season -then spent the next 20 minutes banging on about how the club is building a McDonalds and 7/11, hotel and retail precinct.

Just sign players champ, save the boardroom comments.

Mark Crittenden is the only coach I want to see.

4 hours ago, Beer said:

Myth.

Fraud.

Hoax.

“Oh but he’s German” 🙄🙄

its depressing how true this post is tbh, this season was meant to be ours but even from the start when we were winning i could tell everything was not right, i dont like the idea of getting rid of a coach mid season but something needs to improve fast

Elrich did nothing to back  everyone wanting him in over young wilmering.

Sullivan has to start, positive player.

I know müller scored last week but he is still off the mark for me. The guy has all the ability but has inherited our Edward scissorhands touch.

We encountered a perth team that has found some form, while we gave none. There was discipline to hold our shape, but once beaten 1 v 1 they gave up. Schwegler wasn't tracking back, a few times you could see Castro preparing what looked like a beautiful baked lime and honey glazed Christmas ham in between the lines while he waited for the ball.

It's easy to point out any players failings, but as a team I feel as though they are not in it together anymore. The desperation in defence that was there in the first three rounds isn't there anymore.

1 hour ago, TwoLeftFoots said:

Elrich did nothing to back  everyone wanting him in over young wilmering.

Sullivan has to start, positive player.

I know müller scored last week but he is still off the mark for me. The guy has all the ability but has inherited our Edward scissorhands touch.

We encountered a perth team that has found some form, while we gave none. There was discipline to hold our shape, but once beaten 1 v 1 they gave up. Schwegler wasn't tracking back, a few times you could see Castro preparing what looked like a beautiful baked lime and honey glazed Christmas ham in between the lines while he waited for the ball.

It's easy to point out any players failings, but as a team I feel as though they are not in it together anymore. The desperation in defence that was there in the first three rounds isn't there anymore.

I don’t think I heard anyone asking for Elrich. Kamau to RB, DG to LB.

Agree on the Muller/Sullivan issue. Muller is always moving away from the ball and attacking the line. We’re basically playing with a 424

Ugh that was a real chore to sit through and a strong feeling of inevitability about it.

Can't blame owners - they paid big money for MB and then sunk some  serious $ to get the bundesliga players he wanted. (Several of whom looked like they didn't want to be there last night).

Its time for MB to go. Get muscat here now, get rid of the fancy dan's who don't want to be here and  let KM bring in a player or two, keep JP around to help transition.

I reckon KM is pretty under rated as a manager because it is clouded by what a ****wit he was as a player.

In summary....

#babbelout

#muscatin