WSW Extend Winless Run To Seven

Just now, dcrow said:

I thought Meier played well tonight and close to his best performance for us, his pin point first time passing was good and he created a few chances with his back to goal. And I thought he was a lot sharper tonigh as well.

Too slow. When we transition forward we always end up holding the ball while players get into postion. He is not the sort of player where you can lob the ball and he can outrun defenders. We always give opposition defences time to reset or reform. They have time to crowd the box.

I'm perplexed as why our attack consisted of working down the flanks then crossing a speculator into the box which they consistently cleared. I thought the players showed a lot of mongrel in tackles and attitude but little creativity in unlocking WU. At least Lopar only had one miracle save to make but Yeboah was so poor as was Georgievski at times. We're closer to that top 4 winning streak so I'm everyone in and back to the drawing board.

14 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Perhaps my standards of what I expect are high, maybe too high, the term outplayed I would reserve for a different scenario personally.

I am getting a bit tired of this stuff at the moment and think I need a break to be honest. No time better than to take a break than leading in to Christmas and Christmas week, back other side of xmas folks, have a good one :)

Largely this,

we didn’t dominate, WU came for a point they sat behind the ball and slowed the game. We had more ball as they let us have it, we created stuff all. 

I expect far better from a team playing at home than we delivered.

21 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

We had like 19 shots - how is that not outplaying them? They had like 2 shots of note, the one they should've scored in the first minute and their fluke goal at the end

Out played for stats sure.

But WU knew what they were doing. Sure they give the ball away but they let us smash our heads against a brick wall by continuously ducking about in the central channel and literally not getting anywhere.

Did we once pierce the line through the middle? Not from my memory. 

They let us eventually slide the ball wide then make incompetent crosses in which they simply crowded out.

If stats is the only thing only thing we look at yes, we outplayed them. But our coach stayed silent for 95 minutes, made **** all changes to adapt to the situation. We have 2 (Sullivan and Adam) guys on the bench who can cut up teams through the middle but we decided to let them run up the side line.

Rudan knew what he was doing. Babbel didnt

31 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

No it wasn't.

I saw a lot of positives out of tonight, not least being almost completely outplaying a team with way more points on the table than we have.

Of course, our finishing is dreadful, but once again, we dominate a team for the majority of a game.

I'm more Babbel in this week, than I was last week.

Even a small thing like getting a point from a game we should have won, could make a massive difference to the mindset of the squad.

I'm the glass half full kinda guy.

Onwards and upwards.

We really played some good football tonight. 

Bloody hell you are a glass half full person!

I didn’t see us outplay anyone, we had more of the ball against a team that sit back away from home. We were playing at home, and we what 11 weeks in and still can’t play with any sort fluidity 

33 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

We had like 19 shots - how is that not outplaying them? They had like 2 shots of note, the one they should've scored in the first minute and their fluke goal at the end

Football ain’t played in microsoft excel

Firstly enjoyed the women's match, the Irish girl in the middle first class no one could get the ball off her and the forward Williams very strong reminded me of a female Mitch duke, well done ladies excellent game and result.

Speaking of Duke just how fecking good is he, will run through a brick wall for the team in the 95th minute after putting in time and time again, leaves nothing on the pitch that guy.

Linking pretty well with DG all night i thought, Russell looked good on the right hand side and Muller is definatley improving, but the main talking point of the night for me as every man and his dog has already espoused WHY OR WHY NO SUBS?. just do not get it myself, Yeboah did not have his best match tonight and could have been yanked at any time second half for either Mo or Brucie, the lopsided DG/Duke delivering the ball kind of takes our best finisher Duke out of the game, it needed more accurate crossing from the right to bring Duke into the game as an attacker, thinking along lines Duke in the box a la the derby goal.

but thought overall heart and effort much improved, which was pleasing but still not banging enough efforts on target, gotta start putting a bulge in that net for gawd's sake.

29 minutes ago, sonar said:

Too slow. When we transition forward we always end up holding the ball while players get into postion. He is not the sort of player where you can lob the ball and he can outrun defenders. We always give opposition defences time to reset or reform. They have time to crowd the box.

Nor was Kressinger but he held the ball passed it to a midfielder and something happens. Can you see what's missing in our team. 

You say he's too slow but when we counter, a ball is passed to him directly through the middle and he passes the ball first time with ease on to a player running on the wing and then we go backward. 

8 hours ago, hughsey said:

That’s the fourth game in a row we’ve conceded due to ball watching in the box. Calver could’ve made a sandwich before he nodded that in he had that much time. That has nothing to do with Babel, that’s laziness from our defence.

It's tiredness. Duke was cooked, and so were plenty of our players. Middle of summer and we are not using our sub, insane.

10 hours ago, hughsey said:

That’s the fourth game in a row we’ve conceded due to ball watching in the box. Calver could’ve made a sandwich before he nodded that in he had that much time. That has nothing to do with Babel, that’s laziness from our defence.

while I agree that ball watching is a problem and has been all year for our defenders BUT watch the replay of the goal - Calver is their full back, who should be tracking his run, our winger - Duke. He tries but it is like he is running in quicksand trying to go with him, he is clearly exhausted. Yet MB did not make any subs. You don't think Mo could have kept up with him? MB has to wear that imo.

Don't even want to comment on the game.... feels like a rinse and repeat every week, except this week no VAR to be up in arms over 

Got to the stage where I don't come to the games expecting too much anymore...sort of numb to it all now...enjoy being back at Parra, Church street food, new stadium etc still so much better than that Sh@thole SOP.  Unfortunately performances on the field frustrating to watch week in week out.  As others have said many times , looking  like a missed opportunity again this season all the planets seemed aligned at the start of the season. Part of me still thinks that in a league like the A League we can still  string a few good games together and get back in the top 4. But then I come to the game and the optimism gets sucked out of me.   Who knows where to from here for the Wanderers, some big decisions needed.

on a positive note...how good are the Ladies !!!!!!!!

Merry Xmas to you all . See you all for some more punishment on New Years Day   

Diamantia was good to see. 

Okay we did have more of the ball and control the game well but WU are renowned for sitting back so the performance can be deceiving 

outside of the yeboah chance, mueller specie and the goal once again hardly any chances created. Playing as a bunch of individuals not a free flowing team... 

What does Sullivan and Adam got to do to get a run. 

10 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I actually don’t mind no subs 

To me, he’s building match fitness.

It’s not pre-season.

We were on a 5 game losing streak and people are calling for his head, there’s stories of unrest, the fans are agitated, we’re 7th on the ladder etc. 

You do what you can to win. The no subs thing was bizarre.

Edited by btron3000

It was encouraging to see that we at least appeared to have a plan, which was to start tall timber Meier, and lob crosses to him from the wings and fullbacks. It didn’t result in many chances because WU were playing with 3 tall centre backs, and because the quality of the crosses was atrocious, however I would expect that this would improve if we stick with the same plan going forward. 
We finally got the back 4 right with Tass on the right and DG on the left. 

Russel back in the team and moving DG to the left was a good move we seemed to be getting a little more. But still so indecisive in attack and no changes? at 1-0 it was screaming for Adam and Sullivan. It was better but still not good enough Babbel is on thin ice if he isn't gone now he will be next week

Babbel said in the presser that the boys didn’t adjust when WU replaced Durante with Yulle during the second half, and that this was a mistake.

Out of curiosity, did anyone observe whether Babbel or any of the coaching staff got off their arse and yell out any instructions after this sub took place? 

Edited by MajorMelons
11 minutes ago, MajorMelons said:

Babbel said in the presser that the boys didn’t adjust when WU replaced Durante with Yulle during the second half, and that this was a mistake.

Out of curiosity, did anyone observe whether Babbel or any of the coaching staff get off their arse and yelled out any instructions after this sub took place? 

He got up at one point...looking prplexed (as he always does to me).

I didn't see any communication with the players at all...but others might have.

Compared to Rudan, he was (I'll resist the temptation to say something much stronger)....fairly invisible, as far as I could see.

As usual. :angry:

23 minutes ago, MajorMelons said:

Out of curiosity, did anyone observe whether Babbel or any of the coaching staff got off their arse and yell out any instructions after this sub took place? 

So he is saying WU made a change and a new problem that we didn’t adapt to, he’s of course right, the but he isn’t saying is for reasons only know to him we didn’t make a change, that required WU to adapt to 

29 minutes ago, MajorMelons said:

......that's for the training track......apparently.........:ninja:

:D

Are we expecting too much as fans?

The team wasn’t horrible, which is a vast improvement on recent years. I see some merit in the game plan, even if the lack of subs and tactical reminders from the bench is a little puzzling (Babbel has often said the players just need to stick to the plan, but I can only gather the players aren’t remembering when to adapt as per the plan...).

Where we land at the end of the season I do not know and a large part of me has honestly stopped caring (there are many reasons why, but right now I’ll say that football is an escape but less so when the skies are burning). However, I do know that expecting too much from a mediocre team and club is probably a mistake many of us have made. 

Let’s embrace middle of the road-dom, peoples. It’s where the club sits at the current time.

Frustrating.!!  Duke too wide, no one central, no counter attack, no pace, no striker... When will we change from these flat strikers, fake 9's or whatever they are, and get some pace going forward.

Meier, Riera, Pio, etc - all the same and don't work.. Get Duke as striker...

Meier passed backwards nearly everytime he touched the ball (and that wasn't much)...

Anyway, we did play better and deserved something more than a draw.

Thank christ for the ladies - Great game that one..... :-)

Edited by MadKaw