Jump to content
mack

Adelaide United vs Western Sydney Wanderers 27/12/2019 7:00PM

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

ONLY 15 minutes??

Our video training session is normally 15 minutes and usually covers foul identification with their potential severity.

We had one session just before the finals on dissent/abusive language for 15 minutes. "Are you serious ref?"

Share this post


Link to post

The other question I have about the handball is - was it enough of a clear and obvious error on the part of Beath for the VAR to intervene? Let’s be honest, handball calls like that are now more subjective than in the past and I can see (but at the same time disagree with) why Beath made the ultimate call, but why did that one get a review but not the kick from Duke? Beath was well positioned and Georgievski’s movements didn’t exactly scream he had increased the size of his silhouette, so what was the clear and obvious error?

I think I know the answer to the question (Australian refs always err on the side of caution, especially in the box), but it would interesting to read what others think.

Share this post


Link to post

What did Bozza think about the hand ball penna? Not seen any TV coverage or comments at all.

Share this post


Link to post

^^^ re the discussion/comments on the players' (and coaches) reactions to Referees and VAR decisions etc.

Those reactions are merely symptoms of a growing untreated disease. The attention needs to recognise and focus on the disease and how to cure it instead of just 'treating' the symptoms.

 

Share this post


Link to post

So the secret is we play like shite and we will get the points.  Earlier in the season we were awful and picked up some important wins, I thought we improved and played good football against City and Western Melb and didnt get the luck we deserved and today well it was back to playing awful football (that first half was as bad as we have played all season) and somehow going up 3-1 then hanging on - just.  Bagged for no subs last week but the subs changed the game this week, Tarek and Sullivan both had a massive impact and effectively won the game for us.  Duke should of been sent and really has been poor for about 5 weeks now so he is carrying something or just not going well enough, our whole midfield was poor defensively yesterday and for all his antics (which I love btw) Georgevski was incredibly poor all game.  Funnily enough it was the ones who should of struggled in the heat, Zielgler, Lopar, Muller and Schweigler who were good for us yesterday and some of the Aussies were not so good. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Taurus said:

Clear pen, every day of the week.

Fortunately for us, Blackwood is shite & we escaped unscathed 

Image may contain: 2 people

🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post

Where is Mack's match review. Am I wrong to say this is the latest an analysis has been posted. Once again. If Duke isn't pushed there is no reaction. I punched him your honour because he punched me twice first. Mitigating. Georgevski wrapped his arms around his body actively taking steps to avoid a dumb handball call. Are people seriously questioning that. Some here are taking a second frame out of a movie reel and drawing skewed conclusions. Lastly. I'll take back everything I've said about Tarek over the last three years. Now you take back the Babbel blubber. 

Share this post


Link to post

Don't start me on the Georgievski penalty...from the sound of things, you can tell our defenders to have the rest of the year off. 

We found replacements:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWDz1uHeXC2_CnIWoYZxL

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, DamnedUnited said:

Where is Mack's match review. Am I wrong to say this is the latest an analysis has been posted. Once again. If Duke isn't pushed there is no reaction. I punched him your honour because he punched me twice first. Mitigating. Georgevski wrapped his arms around his body actively taking steps to avoid a dumb handball call. Are people seriously questioning that. Some here are taking a second frame out of a movie reel and drawing skewed conclusions. Lastly. I'll take back everything I've said about Tarek over the last three years. Now you take back the Babbel blubber. 

Mack said last night there's no post game thread, he had to go to the hospital last night:

13 hours ago, mack said:

No postgame thread tonight. I'm in hospital for a busted wrist won't be able to do a report.

 

Share this post


Link to post

In other news it seems Keanu Baccus might be leaving us in January for the Danish first division.

Sauce: theworldgame.sbs.com 

Struggling Western Sydney Wanderers face the prospect of losing midfield mainstay Keanu Baccus during the January transfer window, with Danish Superliga club AGF Aarhus ready to swoop.

UPDATEDUPDATED 15 HOURS AGO
BY DAVE LEWIS
AGF’s football director Peter Christiansen jetted to Sydney last week to watch Baccus, 21, in action for the Wanderers in their 1-1 draw with Western United.

Baccus is contracted until mid-2022, having signed a three-year extension February.

However, it’s unlikely Wanderers would be able to stand in the Australia U-23 international’s way should a firm offer be tabled.

His exit would be a bitter blow to a club already in crisis after five defeats and one draw from their last six games amid media stories of unrest and infighting.

Head coach Markus Babbel is clinging on to his job by a whisker, with the result of Friday night’s trip to Adelaide likely to have a huge bearing on his future.

Baccus has been one of Babbel’s few consistent performers this season in his deep lying midfield role, making 10 appearances to date with a single goal to his credit.

Were he to head to Scandinavia, he’d become the fourth Australian on AGF’s books with fellow midfielders Mustafa Amini and Zach Duncan ensconced there, alongside defender Alex Gersbach.

Durban-born Baccus, who has been at Wanderland for over three years on a senior deal, has grown into his role following the exit of brother Kearyn, who joined South Africa’s Kaizer Chiefs earlier this year. 

Christiansen, now back in Europe, declined to comment when contacted by The World Game.

......

Now if this were to happen, who the hell would we get to replace him?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Have you actually played the game? As a former central defender when someone belts the ball at you hard from close range the first reaction is to protect your face ( plus bollocks if you have time / in the wall) and turn it to the side..that is a natural reaction. 

His arms were tuckedun and was not bigger in that way than he should have been.

Based on this rule then players should just belt the ball hard at a defender from close range, hope it clips a bit of arm and hey presto penna it is.

Ridiculous. The old rule was hand to ball action...new rule  - smash the ******* ball hard as poss in to defender from close range lol ffs..

Sure did & at a good level during my youth, until knee injuries & the need to work for a living took precedence. 

The current handball rule is a minefield.

I don't want us to go down the path of games such as hockey (where any contact with foot constitutes a freekick) but alas, that's where we are headed with the current interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, WanderingToqui said:

Now if this were to happen, who the hell would we get to replace him?

Sullivan, O'Doherty, Grozos, Monge or Massdoukoutas (speaking of Monge, what's happened to him)

Share this post


Link to post

I’d recommend people watch the interview with Beath after the game on fox sports.

For the first pen, he says he didn’t see the knee on knee contact, just normal contact/football contact. Wtf does this mean? If it wasn’t “knee on knee” it’s not a penalty? He admits to seeing contact and playing on..

For the second, the reasoning is the arm that made contact is away from the body, therefore in an unnatural position and DG is making himself “bigger”.

Surely this needs to be looked into. The admission from Beath for the first pen doesn’t make any sense. If there contact there’s contact, he saw contact and played on. 
 

There is only so much fans of the A-League are going to continue to take before the drop off and stop coming to games!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Our video training session is normally 15 minutes and usually covers foul identification with their potential severity.

We had one session just before the finals on dissent/abusive language for 15 minutes. "Are you serious ref?"

With my school teacher hat on again :lol:....there should be far less tolerance of dissent, imho.

At all levels of the game.

General levels of respect /courtesy throughout society are in sad decline. Kids towards parents, kids towards teachers, players towards officials etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I'd have to agree. DG should have kept his hands down as well as facing the ball then there would be no penalty.

I was having a general refereeing assessment at my lowly level on a women's game. As it happened there had been a regulation in our association (which unbeknown to me removed that season) that women were allowed to cover their breasts in general play. Apparently, the FFA had put an edict out that this practice was to stop and it happened that a player did this in the box in the first half. So my assessor on the day duly told me  that players were not allowed to place their over their chests or lower parts for men EXCEPT in a wall, and if the hands came off in a wall, it is handball. 

Remember the furore when Genreau put his hand up to protect his face which the ball hit and a penalty awarded to the opposition.

I think our March referee branch meeting will have 15 minutes dedicated to the handball rule 

Schwegler kept his hands down and faced the ball against the Nix and it was still given as a penalty. The the referees claimed that decision as well as last nights were both correct.

I still play and have since I was a kid. I also refereed for several years. I have absolutely no idea what contact between ball and hand isn’t considered a penalty under the current rules. Have your arms by your side in a completely natural position - penalty. Tuck your arms in to make yourself as small as possible in an attempt to actively avoid contact - penalty.

I feel for all the grassroots referees next season. If professional players and managers don’t understand the rule then how are amateurs expected get it. Since the professional referees are justifying any contact whatsoever as a penalty I expect to see the hockey style rule unofficially implemented at grassroots level as the referees will be too afraid to give anything other than a penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

What did Bozza think about the hand ball penna? Not seen any TV coverage or comments at all.

There was no Bozza...

Post game was only Tara and Robbie Cornthwaite (who said no handball/ no pen)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, scarcev said:

So the secret is we play like shite and we will get the points.  Earlier in the season we were awful and picked up some important wins, I thought we improved and played good football against City and Western Melb and didnt get the luck we deserved and today well it was back to playing awful football (that first half was as bad as we have played all season) and somehow going up 3-1 then hanging on - just.  Bagged for no subs last week but the subs changed the game this week, Tarek and Sullivan both had a massive impact and effectively won the game for us.  Duke should of been sent and really has been poor for about 5 weeks now so he is carrying something or just not going well enough, our whole midfield was poor defensively yesterday and for all his antics (which I love btw) Georgevski was incredibly poor all game.  Funnily enough it was the ones who should of struggled in the heat, Zielgler, Lopar, Muller and Schweigler who were good for us yesterday and some of the Aussies were not so good. 

FWIW I agree with all this, and yes, the Eurpeans (apart from Meier) did look a lot better than I expected.

Muller at the end of the game was very enthusiastic, and said something like "I had fun", when asked if he'd ever played in a game like that before ( which he wouldn't have).

Credit to them for that. It has to be so far out of their comfort zone to be both playing in that sort of heat, and enduring the training conditions they must be experiencing (with smoke and heat).

Share this post


Link to post

Perhaps it would be in everyones interest if the refs/ifab/ffa put out a cgi animated video as to what constitutes a handball so everyone has a clue as to what is going on and players can train not to get in those situations as a counter to the current situation where it seems no one has a clue. 

...or is this wishful thinking?

The current situation here and elsewhere seems to be heading for something dramatic from the players/fans due to frustration.

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, wendybr said:

With my school teacher hat on again :lol:....there should be far less tolerance of dissent, imho.

At all levels of the game.

General levels of respect /courtesy throughout society are in sad decline. Kids towards parents, kids towards teachers, players towards officials etc.

 

Thats for sure.

In our association, we have implemented the Temporary Dismissal for all full field games u12 and above for dissent towards a match official.

Result is 5 minutes on the sideline for 12 to 17 year olds. Last year was our second year of temporary dismissals for adults. There was a 20% reduction in red cards for adults in the first year, mostly due to a reduction in send offs for abuse.

I did send more than one 15 year old to the sideline for dissent last season. On one occasio, one player had his team mate with his hand by his side had the ball hit his hand and the ball was controlled to his feet, imo gained advantage. I awarded a free kick against the player. His team mate was about 10 metres away and in a non-joking tone said "Are you serious ref?" So I awarded him a yellow for dissent and his team finished the game with 10 men as it was in the last 5 minutes. (Result ended up 0-0). 

We have zero tolerance for dissent or abuse of a match official in our association.

 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, wendybr said:

With my school teacher hat on again :lol:....there should be far less tolerance of dissent, imho.

At all levels of the game.

General levels of respect /courtesy throughout society are in sad decline. Kids towards parents, kids towards teachers, players towards officials etc.

 

You should write in to your local newspaper 

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/let-s-get-back-to-gallons-ounces-and-yards-says-grantham-reader-9094436/

“back in my day......”

As for me proper Anarchist 

37ac276ac5fab85a080c37e68dbe5901.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, wendybr said:

With my school teacher hat on again :lol:....there should be far less tolerance of dissent, imho.

At all levels of the game.

General levels of respect /courtesy throughout society are in sad decline. Kids towards parents, kids towards teachers, players towards officials etc.

 

That's the reason we need to bring back old school discipline. 🤔🤔🤔

Share this post


Link to post

As Mack is out injured.

Positives

1. We won

2. We won despite playing like crap

3. Babbel started with Adam

4. Babbel saw a problem and made a proper substitution. Elrich for Russell.

5. Babbel made a tactical sub bringing Sullivan on for Meier and pushing Duke forward.

6. Muller with a brace

Negative or positive 

1. Schwegler got his 5th yellow of the A-league season and is suspended for the New Year's Day game. Probably positive, because Baccus will probably play his last game for us in the month of January due to Olyroos duty. Baccus and Sullivan for the next game.

2. Ill-discipline. But perhaps it shows that the team is fighting, more typical of good Western Sydney Wanderers squads of the past.

Share this post


Link to post

With the quality of refereeing every week and the inconsistency of VAR (we have people been in the game for 50 years who dont know what constitutes a penalty anymore) it has led to p[ayers falling to ground and hoping for fouls/pens, AR's who dont flag anymore until prompted and the game being reffed by someone often 1000km away.  Yesterday Beath did not have a bad game (hear me out here), the Duke decision, he claims he was watching the path of the bal land didnt see it (fair enough, so the VAR needs to iintervene and IMO he should of seen red, but he cannot adjudicate if he thinks it is yellow so didnt intervene, with the first pen he saw the contact and said it was football contact so play on, he clearly motions this, he is actually in good position and makes a call, now VAR intervenes, makes him doubt himself, slows it done to 50 frames a sec and of course there is contact and it looks like a foul on slomo, for mine hs original call is correct the player goes down too easy after losing possession and in the EPL as Babbel said he would of been laughed, the third, he clerarly sees the ball hit the elbow tucked into the chest, once again is in perfect position to adjudicate, clearly waves play on and clearly got it right according to the laws of the game, until it is pulled up scrutinised at 50 frames per sec or whatever it is, he doubt himself and gives it. Lets remember the ONLY time he has gone to the screen and not given a decision was Yeboah (I think) for Us and he was roundly smashed and dropped the following week, he will not make that mistake again.  So all told aside from the fact he could of told the VAR to piss off and didnt, he really didnt have a bad game and he was let down by Ams in the box 1000km away.

Having said all that, the histrionics of our players HAS to stop, the attitude has to change, the continual yelling at AR's, Ref's etc is just wasting energy AND giving them cards that we don't need.  Why waste a card yesterday on Beath or the assistant when you can smash Mileusenich and get one that is worthwhile?  They need to be told to shut up and get on with it, you are playing in the A League, it is a lucky dip, get on with it.

Share this post


Link to post

A horrible win we didn't deserve with horrible ref calls all game, duke var was a clear card offence and the pen calls should cost someone their job. Reds should have been up 3-1 but we got lucky winning ugly, move on and hope we can improve as our possession gameplay was poor. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, dcrow said:

That's the reason we need to bring back old school discipline. 🤔🤔🤔

Somewhat agree.

Not physical punishments....but there IS too much leniency and tolerance for what really should not be tolerated...in all aspects of society, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Thats for sure.

In our association, we have implemented the Temporary Dismissal for all full field games u12 and above for dissent towards a match official.

Result is 5 minutes on the sideline for 12 to 17 year olds. Last year was our second year of temporary dismissals for adults. There was a 20% reduction in red cards for adults in the first year, mostly due to a reduction in send offs for abuse.

I did send more than one 15 year old to the sideline for dissent last season. On one occasio, one player had his team mate with his hand by his side had the ball hit his hand and the ball was controlled to his feet, imo gained advantage. I awarded a free kick against the player. His team mate was about 10 metres away and in a non-joking tone said "Are you serious ref?" So I awarded him a yellow for dissent and his team finished the game with 10 men as it was in the last 5 minutes. (Result ended up 0-0). 

We have zero tolerance for dissent or abuse of a match official in our association.

 

Glad to hear it.

I think A League players get away with too much of it, tbh.

It sets a bad example.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

You should write in to your local newspaper 

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/let-s-get-back-to-gallons-ounces-and-yards-says-grantham-reader-9094436/

“back in my day......”

As for me proper Anarchist 

37ac276ac5fab85a080c37e68dbe5901.jpg

You mentioned on another thread needing Cynth on speed dial, as your kids grow up.

Excellent idea....but she might be inclined to run a mile ....knowing something of your uber permissive views.

:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Somewhat agree.

Not physical punishments....but there IS too much leniency and toleranxe for what really should not be tolerated...in all aspects of society, imo.

Spoken like a member of the national party 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Glad to hear it.

I think A League players get away with too much of it, tbh.

It sets a bad example.

Where should i start.

Brosque...............:nono:

Goodwin..............:xmad:

And the list goes on. 

I heard the following from a current A-league referee in response to a question about sendoffs "We are trained to keep A-league players on the field"

It makes our job at grassroots that much harder when you hear "that's not what happens in the A-league"

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...