Jump to content
mack

Adelaide United vs Western Sydney Wanderers 27/12/2019 7:00PM

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

Spoken like a member of the national party 

:drats:

 

:arniesalt:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Where should i start.

Brosque...............:nono:

Goodwin..............:xmad:

And the list goes on. 

I heard the following from a current A-league referee in response to a question about sendoffs "We are trained to keep A-league players on the field"

Ridiculous

Send one or two....and they'd stop it.

The consequences of that are far reaching....and extend well beyond the sporting field, sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Spoken like a Trump supporter:rofl:

:rofl:

Red rag to a bull there!

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, scarcev said:

 Yesterday Beath did not have a bad game (hear me out here), .....now VAR intervenes, makes him doubt himself, ......slows it done to 50 frames a sec......third, he doubt himself and gives it.

Lets remember the ONLY time he has gone to the screen and not given a decision was Yeboah (I think) for Us and he was roundly smashed and dropped the following week, he will not make that mistake again. 

So all told aside from the fact he could of told the VAR to piss off and didnt, he really didnt have a bad game and he was let down by Ams in the box 1000km away.

And that's why the VAR rules (as in has ultimate power)...for good (occasionally) or bad.

I just don't know how ANYONE has the confidence to undertake refereeing at a high level,  what with thousands of people scrutinising their every move.

But refs surely would be likely to doubt themselves every time the VAR swings into action.

Credit to any of them who wave away what the VAR brings to their attention as being a likely mistake. The pressure on them to agree that they've made an error must be huge.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I'd have to agree. DG should have kept his hands down as well as facing the ball then there would be no penalty.

I was having a general refereeing assessment at my lowly level on a women's game. As it happened there had been a regulation in our association (which unbeknown to me removed that season) that women were allowed to cover their breasts in general play. Apparently, the FFA had put an edict out that this practice was to stop and it happened that a player did this in the box in the first half. So my assessor on the day duly told me  that players were not allowed to place their over their chests or lower parts for men EXCEPT in a wall, and if the hands came off in a wall, it is handball. 

Remember the furore when Genreau put his hand up to protect his face which the ball hit and a penalty awarded to the opposition.

I think our March referee branch meeting will have 15 minutes dedicated to the handball rule 

I was saying this last night, if that is now a handball under the new rules (as well as a couple of others) then I have absolutely no understanding of it and I really hope we get a really detailed and clear explanation of it at the preseason refs meetings.

As things stand I don't know how it works and I would have no chance of being able to adequately explain to any players why one was given/not given.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Can anyone decipher what MB says to DG & MJ as they re-enter the fray?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1210743298601578496

 

Harper is a total nob (but maybe in German)

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Harper is a total nob (but maybe in German)

Knopf.

I prefer Quatsch

Share this post


Link to post

Schwegler suspended for New Year’s Day not his first yellow for dissent I think . Is Baccus available for this game ? Olyroos play on the 8th in Thailand and I reckon he would need to be there for training before the 3rd . 

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, TheSweeper said:

Schwegler suspended for New Year’s Day not his first yellow for dissent I think . Is Baccus available for this game ? Olyroos play on the 8th in Thailand and I reckon he would need to be there for training before the 3rd . 

One can only hope he is or ask the FFA to help out.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Thats for sure.

In our association, we have implemented the Temporary Dismissal for all full field games u12 and above for dissent towards a match official.

Result is 5 minutes on the sideline for 12 to 17 year olds. Last year was our second year of temporary dismissals for adults. There was a 20% reduction in red cards for adults in the first year, mostly due to a reduction in send offs for abuse.

I did send more than one 15 year old to the sideline for dissent last season. On one occasio, one player had his team mate with his hand by his side had the ball hit his hand and the ball was controlled to his feet, imo gained advantage. I awarded a free kick against the player. His team mate was about 10 metres away and in a non-joking tone said "Are you serious ref?" So I awarded him a yellow for dissent and his team finished the game with 10 men as it was in the last 5 minutes. (Result ended up 0-0). 

We have zero tolerance for dissent or abuse of a match official in our association.

 

Thanks for that story 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, wendybr said:

And that's why the VAR rules (as in has ultimate power)...for good (occasionally) or bad.

I just don't know how ANYONE has the confidence to undertake refereeing at a high level,  what with thousands of people scrutinising their every move.

But refs surely would be likely to doubt themselves every time the VAR swings into action.

Credit to any of them who wave away what the VAR brings to their attention as being a likely mistake. The pressure on them to agree that they've made an error must be huge.

which is why it has to go, let them do their job, there will be mistakes but there is more mistakes now and they are magnified and we have to wait 5mins for them to be made by a bloke sometimes not even in the same state.  Get rid of it and use goalline technology only and mistaken identidy, thats it.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Taurus said:

Can anyone decipher what MB says to DG & MJ as they re-enter the fray?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1210743298601578496

 

Quote

The boss goes, 'Get back into position because if our goalkeeper saves it and you're not there and you could have been, I'll lose it at you'."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/anger-got-the-better-of-me-says-wanderer-star-after-attemped-walk-off-20191228-p53nbj.html

Share this post


Link to post

Too much talk and distraction on VAR.

Too much focus on siege mentality.

Too much silliness and dissent - very suprised at Swegler.

We were very poor in the first half BUT scored a nice goal from a poor defensive pass and a deflection.

We were much better in the second half, we really were. We got stuck in and had a go. Muller has come good.

 

We're caught between playing 3 and 4 at the back. We don't have the quality of players at the back to play 3.

We've conceded too many goals from diagonal balls played in behind our non-existant (or slow) (or out of position) full backs.

If we could have Neville & Jamieson back, along with Riera (for Meier), we'd win this league at a canter.

 

Babbel, just needs to relax and behave like a German. We'll be ok.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I'd have to agree. DG should have kept his hands down as well as facing the ball then there would be no penalty.

I was having a general refereeing assessment at my lowly level on a women's game. As it happened there had been a regulation in our association (which unbeknown to me removed that season) that women were allowed to cover their breasts in general play. Apparently, the FFA had put an edict out that this practice was to stop and it happened that a player did this in the box in the first half. So my assessor on the day duly told me  that players were not allowed to place their over their chests or lower parts for men EXCEPT in a wall, and if the hands came off in a wall, it is handball. 

Remember the furore when Genreau put his hand up to protect his face which the ball hit and a penalty awarded to the opposition.

I think our March referee branch meeting will have 15 minutes dedicated to the handball rule 

With all due respect for you and the other forum members who are refs, this just read to me as “blah blah, stupid rule, blah blah.”

Honestly, as long as we keep refereeing matches as if it’s a legal contract being interpreted by a lawyer, we’re gonna get these terrible decisions. 
 

COMMON SENSE PEOPLE, where has it gone?

Did DG try to block the shot with his hands, or act all innocent while intentionally putting his hands in a position to block the shot?

No. No he did not. Play on.

IT’S NOT THAT ******* HARD.

Share this post


Link to post

OK I just saw the video where Beath explains the decisions:

I actually like the explanation for the first penalty - Beath saw the contact and thought it was "normal". To me, that is akin to shoulder-to-shoulder contact, trying to play the ball legally. I think what he is trying to say is that he missed that Ziegler came into Toure from the front and hence it's no longer side to side contact which is jockeying for the ball, but rather contact that results in Toure being tripped and felled. Fair enough.

Second penalty... ehhhh like I get it, not 100% sure about it but like I get it. I'll have to look at the live vision again but in Beath's opinion, the arm that struck the ball was slightly away from the body and not 'tucked in'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, dcrow said:

In that article, Strebre Delovski, head of referees, says the handball incident was a "flip of the coin" decision. I take that as being there was no clear and obvious error for VAR to overturn. Despite this, Beath wasn't criticised for changing his mind and nor was Ams criticised for referring it to Beath!

Delovski did however criticise Ams for not referring the Duke incident.

Share this post


Link to post

If the VAR is to be used for clear and obvious errors , it should never go back the referee. If it is obvious that it was the wrong decision than it should be overturned. If the VAR are not 100% sure than play on......it would also save a few minutes 😊

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, tardotz said:

If the VAR is to be used for clear and obvious errors , it should never go back the referee. If it is obvious that it was the wrong decision than it should be overturned. If the VAR are not 100% sure than play on......it would also save a few minutes 😊

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh

I have been saying this since day one!!

Let play continue and use the VAR to only bring back anything that is a 100% mistake or violent play.

e.g. Thierry Henry handball v Ireland in WCQ, Zidane headbutt etc.

One of the main benefits of this is that the ebb and flow of football continues unless there is an obvious error.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Taurus said:

Sure did & at a good level during my youth, until knee injuries & the need to work for a living took precedence. 

The current handball rule is a minefield.

I don't want us to go down the path of games such as hockey (where any contact with foot constitutes a freekick) but alas, that's where we are headed with the current interpretation.

Taurus (and others who stated it was a handball) can you help me understand your reasoning please.  I have read the rules, watched interpretations of them and still nothing indicate to me that DG made his body unnaturally bigger and his hand was not in an unnatural position.  There was no deliberate action in his response - he was turning away from the ball...

On your point Taurus, that he shouldn't turn from the ball but cop it because it is only a soft football (or however you described it), last week I think it was Durante was nearly knocked out by a ball in the head, others have had broken noses... so I would see this as a natural reaction to a kick coming fairly close to you.

Anyway, please explain how you interpret the hand ball because I am really struggling to understand your point based on the written rules.  Your later comment that the handball rule is a minefield is very clear.  So was Beath right the first time or second time and why?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, wendybr said:

Somewhat agree.

Not physical punishments....but there IS too much leniency and toleranxe for what really should not be tolerated...in all aspects of society, imo.

But, but, but... when Babs calls players out he is being too harsh and unfair??!!  Should he tolerate slack players who are soft (as Taurus has suggested he has done)? 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

But, but, but... when Babs calls players out he is being too harsh and unfair??!!  Should he tolerate slack players who are soft (as Taurus has suggested he has done)? 

He should discipline his players (if that's  what it takes to create a strong, disciplined and fluent team) and instil discipline in his players (not that he seems a particularly good role model).

But that shouldnt involve "calling out" his players publicly, in my view. That's  for the locker room, or the training pitch, not on national television.

There's a difference between disciplining and humiliating someone, when your job is to guide and mould them.

IMHO.

:)

Share this post


Link to post

By wrapping his arms around himself in an act of self love Georgevski made himself unnaturally smaller. He actively anticipated and took off the table in a split second reaction the possibility of a handball. Why some still defend the penalty is beyond me. "But it made contact" is a dumb retort which will satisfy those types only by the arms being unscrewed from the body. On top of that whatever happened to blind one eyed support for ones club. The cold "balanced" objectivism of these lawyer types we can do without. Fck being fair.

Share this post


Link to post

Isn't the VAR for clear and obvious errors? If it takes Beath 5 minutes of looking at video, differing angles and speed, then it's not clear and obvious. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Benched said:

Isn't the VAR for clear and obvious errors? If it takes Beath 5 minutes of looking at video, differing angles and speed, then it's not clear and obvious. 

I heard or read that sometime between ladt season and this season that IFAB/FIFA removed the clear and obvious but I can't remember where I heard or read it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...