Adelaide United vs Western Sydney Wanderers 27/12/2019 7:00PM

15 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

I was saying this last night, if that is now a handball under the new rules (as well as a couple of others) then I have absolutely no understanding of it and I really hope we get a really detailed and clear explanation of it at the preseason refs meetings.

As things stand I don't know how it works and I would have no chance of being able to adequately explain to any players why one was given/not given.

@Lloydy136

The officials can't agree. Based on Delovski, UEFA say handball, AFC say no. As it has been referred to FIFA, I guess this one will be seen in referee foul identification videos. How nice of Beath and Ams to give them footage for a worldwide audience.

"It's a flip of a coin, really," Delovski said. "We're just waiting on the technical decision from FIFA on it. UEFA are saying it's handball, some people in AFC are saying it's not handball. We have a split decision on it. It's one of those ones, it can go either way."

10 hours ago, Benched said:

Isn't the VAR for clear and obvious errors? If it takes Beath 5 minutes of looking at video, differing angles and speed, then it's not clear and obvious. 

I’ve always been of the opinion that any VAR review by the on field referee should have:

- a time limit 

- no slow motion or zooming in 

- be of a similar angle to where sir was standing during the play

You scrutinise anything for long enough and in intensive depth and of course you’ll start to alter your view of it. That’s not how referring works and the game is not played at a snails pace.

Also, why should one call receive a viewing party over the several dozen others that occur throughout a game?

The other thing I’d be doing is scrapping all the technicalities around what can and can’t be reviewed because it happened this way or that way or happened here and there and when. That’s the thing that really shits me because it’s makes the whole thing redundant if it’s selective in its use...

VAR aside we still allowed Adelaide back into the game. I thought we were lucky to be 1-1 at HT. We were the better side 2nd half but as in previous games we get the lead then capitulate late in games. I still remember the Roar game where we were up 2-0 and gave away the game in extra time. ( Thanks Vedran ) Worrying habit for our team.

For me........Lopar is the difference between us being where we are and not sitting on the bottom of the table. One of our best ever signings. 

On 27/12/2019 at 10:55 PM, Taurus said:

We lack leadership

I was wondering the other day if the captaincy is hampering Duke's on field performance.  It is almost like he is trying too hard because he wants to show leadership and score goals as well.

23 hours ago, wendybr said:

With my school teacher hat on again :lol:....there should be far less tolerance of dissent, imho.

At all levels of the game.

General levels of respect /courtesy throughout society are in sad decline. Kids towards parents, kids towards teachers, players towards officials etc.

Do I recall you once saying that you teach a lot of Chinese kids?  If so, I can see from some recent remarks in this thread why the PRC trusts you with the education of their future generation of leaders... :P

22 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Spoken like a member of the national party 

Except, I would hope that that Nats still support corporal punishment. We don't need wishy washy sensitive new aged inner city Bolshi ideology in the regions thank you. 

23 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Military service would fix it

Not in today's military.  It has become another instrument for "progressive" social engineering regardless of consequences for battlefield effectiveness.

17 hours ago, tardotz said:

......it would also save a few minutes 😊

This match kinda felt like watching an NFL game with all the stop-starts for drinks, VAR decisions etc.  At least they didn't change the full set of players after every 4 plays.

7 hours ago, sonar said:

VAR aside we still allowed Adelaide back into the game. I thought we were lucky to be 1-1 at HT. We were the better side 2nd half but as in previous games we get the lead then capitulate late in games. I still remember the Roar game where we were up 2-0 and gave away the game in extra time. ( Thanks Vedran ) Worrying habit for our team.

For me........Lopar is the difference between us being where we are and not sitting on the bottom of the table. One of our best ever signings. 

VAR aside, we didn't allow Adelaide back in the game. Had they not got their penalty decisions going for them, we would have held out on a 3-1 win

4 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Do I recall you once saying that you teach a lot of Chinese kids?  If so, I can see from some recent remarks in this thread why the PRC trusts you with the education of their future generation of leaders... :P

Hahaha...

Since the football talk re this game has petered out, it's probably OK to give a roundabout response here...very off topic, I know.

Yes, I currently have only a Yr 11 and a Yr 12 EALD (formerly ESL English) class, with mostly Chinese International students.

And then I do other EALD academic and welfare support

Both classes (and the others I support) are academically a totally mixed bag. From SUUUPER smart, to kids who have academic issues in their own language in their home country, and who could not continue their education back home beyond Yr 9.

So their parents send them here to get into Uni (Lol)

However,  they mostly NEVER present overt behaviour issues, or the casual disrespect you can see from some Aussie kids.

They can be passively resistant to working (mainly because it's beyond them).

But they are generally  polite and respectful.

My personal teaching style is not highly authoritarian at all. But I do see Aussie kids who show incedible disrespect...which is where this conversation started lol.

The idea that it's OK to show disrespect towards adults and towards authority in general can be reinforced on the sporting field these days, by pretty  unsavory displays  - imo.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic