Western Sydney Wanderers vs Brisbane Roar 1/1/2020 7:30PM

9 minutes ago, jockman said:

Amazing what a good nights sleep can do plus couldnt help myself...thanks for the encouragement Wendy....

:good: You won't be the only one who's said he's "out" to return, I'm sure.

Healthier to be venting and sharing your frustrations with the team/club here, rather than hanging out in a bit of a vacuum, if you were to walk away.

:):)

37 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Metallica was energising pre game, but not suited to a walkout song imo.

giphy.gif

lol i dont entirely agree with you but i dont disagree either, with metallica its something we could all sing but not ideal while the kayne west song.........there is just no chance to sing along to that :P but its an interesting conversation either way imo

We just don't look like a team.
Our body language is all wrong.
Arteta spoke about this, as the first thing he changed when he arrived at Arsenal.
Personified last night with Meier/Muller colliding and Ziegler waiting for Lopar to arrive early on.

There are some good bits.
Adam needs to train constantly doing 1on1s against Jurman, so he doesn't get out muscled every time.
Muller is good.
We were better in the first half last night. But there's no self belief.
There's no, "right lads, lets get stuck in here and put this game away before half time".
We have some pace up front, so we have to use it. Break forward quickly.

We have to stop doing very silly things.
Let's defend corners at the back post.
We conceded that goal against Geelong Utd and again last night (and another one I've forgotten).
Meier scares me. He looks like he's having a bad dream about moving to Australia.
Did we do an adequate fitness check on him or just panic buy, based on previous reputation.
Its as it nobody actually saw him play before we forked out the wedge.

I'm not sure about Jetski.
I ilke him and he cares.
But he's 'quite good' at too many positions and not great at any.

You know you have a problem when, you're searching for a goal and the closest comes from Jurman's finessed flick.

If we'd kept Riera, Neville and Jamieson/the little ranga, we'd be winning the league.

It's still an enjoyable night out. Especially last night as the teens didn't bother coming.

Great points there BD, we should be putting more balls behind their left back last night Mo had the pace over him yet we did not deliver enough in that area i thought, we were really good first 30 min moving the ball around and keeping possession which makes it all the more baffling why we dropped off so badly after the break.

if Popa wanted to come back next year i'd say yes but so much to go under the bridge before that could even be contemplated.

2 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Guess i miss the winning (rose tinted specs on maybe), previously on paper Gombau & Babbel at outset looked good on paper and yet did not set the world on fire, just goes to show you got to have a strong manager with a purposeful vision how he wants his team to play and enforce his will.

dont get me wrong popa is a great coach and i would take him if we had the chance to re sign him, i mean one of my favourite players right now is Elrich and he is someone we used to have, went to a different club and came back so it can work

1 minute ago, WHACKO said:

We have  this knack of turning more than capable players into mediocre ones. Yet they leave us and fit in quite well at other teams. We then wonder whey we let them go and then want them back. Some not all obviously.

as much as i hate redmayne he has been going much better with the smurf's than he ever did with us

Shoulda kept Gombau. Instead we sacked him because of player power and bought a guy who hasn't been able to adapt to our wacky league structure (plus pissing off the refs and FFA), and hasn't got a real plan for how his football team is meant to operate.

Took Gombau one season to take Adelaide from 6th to 3rd and win a trophy.

Babbel took a team who finished 7th, made them a much worst 8th, and have yet to offer a comprehensive good performance so far this league season. Meier is officially a flop barring a major second half resurrection.

1 minute ago, mack said:

Shoulda kept Gombau. Instead we sacked him because of player power and bought a guy who hasn't been able to adapt to our wacky league structure (plus pissing off the refs and FFA), and hasn't got a real plan for how his football team is meant to operate.

Took Gombau one season to take Adelaide from 6th to 3rd and win a trophy.

Babbel took a team who finished 7th, made them a much worst 8th, and have yet to offer a comprehensive good performance so far this league season.

pretty much 100% agree, if we bring in a coach we need to give them time for them to bring in their own team, he did better than babbel is doing tbh and this is babbel's team..........its just not very good :P

Just now, mack said:

Without Lopar I reckon Babbel is sacked already.

credit where credit is due, that signing was genius, but i agree, when i first heard of the signing i thought signing an oversea's goalkeeper was pointless.........then again i thought bulut and yeboah would be awesome signings so maybe its good that i am not coach :P

40 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Great points there BD, we should be putting more balls behind their left back last night Mo had the pace over him yet we did not deliver enough in that area i thought, we were really good first 30 min moving the ball around and keeping possession which makes it all the more baffling why we dropped off so badly after the break.

if Popa wanted to come back next year i'd say yes but so much to go under the bridge before that could even be contemplated.

Popa back , got to be joking. Walked out on us a week before the start of the 2017/18 season and took two assistant coaches with for a turkey job in Turkey. To a club that had 8 coaches in 32 months and got sacked after 10 weeks. Plus has lost 4 grand finals and won none. Let him be anywhere but here.

3 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Popa back , got to be joking. Walked out on us a week before the start of the 2017/18 season and took two assistant coaches with for a turkey job in Turkey. To a club that had 8 coaches in 32 months and got sacked after 10 weeks. Plus has lost 4 grand finals and won none. Let him be anywhere but here.

Knew that would be an hand grenade i soon as i pressed 'enter', as i mentioned maybe rose tinted specs there.

1 hour ago, WHACKO said:

We have  this knack of turning more than capable players into mediocre ones. Yet they leave us and fit in quite well at other teams. We then wonder whey we let them go and then want them back. Some not all obviously.

What is that... seriously?

Over and over and over again it's happened, with Aaron Mooy being one of the first examples, and now look at him!

Throughout the A League, we would have players that are playing well enough to still be ours.

It's been said before, but it is the worst feature of this club (and it's a bad feature).

Already we are talking about a player clean out next year, with anew manager.

Can't it be that we have passionate players who play for the shirt and for the people of the area - Daniel G, Tarek and  Mitch D  come to mind - and they should form the spine of the team going forward.

Rather than finding a foreign coach who gets to turf out players he doesnt want, bring in a mob of his compatriots (,Gombau and Babbel both did it) and somehow, despite their collective skills, not build a competitive, cohesive squad, who work together.

I know what's wrong in that area...but don't know if it happens elsewhere (I think not, in the effective teams), or how to fix it.

PS would it be a problem to have a proprtion of the team Aussies, and then a significant proprtion of the team say German speaking (ours)  Spaniards (Gombau) Fowler with his pommie imports?

Not sure that makes sense...thinking aloud ( so to speak) and would love insights into how to build team loyalty and continuity.

19 minutes ago, wendybr said:

What is that... seriously?

Over and over and over again it's happened, with Aaron Mooy being one of the first examples, and now look at him!

Throughout the A League, we would have players that are playing well enough to still be ours.

It's been said before, but it is the worst feature of this club (and it's a bad feature).

Already we are talking about a player clean out next year, with anew manager.

Can't it be that we have passionate players who play for the shirt and for the people of the area - Daniel G, Tarek and  Mitch D  come to mind - and they should form the spine of the team going forward.

Rather than finding a foreign coach who gets to turf out players he doesnt want, bring in a mob of his compatriots (,Gombau and Babbel both did it) and somehow, despite their collective skills, not build a competitive, cohesive squad, who work together.

I know what's wrong in that area...but don't know if it happens elsewhere (I think not, in the effective teams), or how to fix it.

PS would it be a problem to have a proprtion of the team Aussies, and then a significant proprtion of the team say German speaking (ours)  Spaniards (Gombau) Fowler with his pommie imports?

Not sure that makes sense...thinking aloud ( so to speak) and would love insights into how to build team loyalty and continuity.

Getting the foreign imports right is key in the A League, our foreign recruitment of late has been patchy at best and disastrous in a few seasons 

10 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

Many of the players appear to have bought into this conspiracy theory of us being unfairly targeted (DG, PZ, PS, etc.) and once a player finds a external justification or something to blame rather than accept their own performance then you're in trouble. The reason is because grit (mentality for some) is the combination of passion + perseverance, and once you take away the reason to persevere (because it's outside of your control) you end up with apathy/acceptance.

The biggest f up that Babbel has done is give his players an excuse - that he's backed to protect his own job.

6 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

we are an emotional wreck as a team. teams tend to take on the persona of their manager over time. we lose and MB goes to the press conference and swears, blames others and carries on and our team follows suit on the field. this is why we give up leads, give away poor, soft goals and don't handle adversity at all. it has happened week after week.

compare that to popa's determined stoicism which was reflected on the field with resilience to stay mentally tough and solid even when negative stuff was happening which allowed us to win games we probably shouldn't have - under MB it is the opposite.

BINGO

10 hours ago, sonar said:

We all have this thing within us called....."free will". It's like candidates in an election........you can choose to believe what they say..........or not believe........ the same with those promoting you to gamble.

The final decision is up to the individual. 

There's no such thing as free will.  Our brains are electronic impulses that tell us what to do. We have no control over it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/theres-no-such-thing-as-free-will/480750/

So when Beer is being an annoying **** that won't let that one thing rest, it's not his fault.  

6 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

with muscat looking like he has an o/s gig lined up I can't see any point in sacking babbel now. there is no obvious local replacement (that I can see/think of) so it would be another foreign appointment who would spend the rest of the season confused by the league (scheduling, reffing, cap, visa system, heat etc) and it would be a waste of time and money for very little benefit as I reckon most of the players will be gone before the start of next year anyway.

It would give them time to understand all the idiosyncracies of the A-league, maybe?

10 hours ago, Beer said:

Beside the point. 

If I came up to you on the street and told you to take these “fantastic drugs” you might say no thanks the first time. 

But if I kept following you, encouraging, even imploring you to take those drugs, you’d get to the point where you’d be telling me in pretty colourful ways to f*ck off. 

What about if you had your kids around, or maybe your friend who’s a recovering drug addict? You might even get a bit defensive on their behalf. 

Long story short, I’m not a fan of some people actively encouraging, imploring, others to spend their hard earned money on magic **** beans - ie - a total load of German sh*t.

Y'know, I'd get just as annoyed at the dude who followed me down the street for the next three months telling me that the dudes who were trying to sell me drugs were wankers. And then I'd tell that guy to f*ck off.

You've made your point, numerous times. Time to let it go bro, it's not healthy.

7 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

There's no such thing as free will.  Our brains are electronic impulses that tell us what to do. We have no control over it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/theres-no-such-thing-as-free-will/480750/

So when Beer is being an annoying **** that won't let that one thing rest, it's not his fault.  

Interesting.

Beer is an annoying ****. Is that a word of your own choosing or an electrical impulse that made you call him that.? 

Edited by sonar
1 minute ago, sonar said:

Interesting.

Beer is an annoying ****. Is that a word of your own choosing or an electrical impulse that made you call him that.? 

:lol: Everything that has caused my brain to evolve into what it currently is made me call him that. I have the illusion of free will because my brain told me that I came up with it after it had already thought of it.

I think that's how it works. 

5 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Getting the foreign imports right is key in the A League, our foreign recruitment of late has been patchy at best and disastrous in a few seasons 

This I get, but it doesn't explain why we are a bit "on the nose" to previous local players, whom seem to relish and rise up playing against their old club, or bag us anonymously in the media.

Here's a thought.... behind the curtain could we be a really crappy club to play for? I grew up out west and know the community to be hardworking, humble and grateful. Did our ACL win suck all the humility out and create an environment focused on winning at all costs to return to precious dizzy heights? 

2 hours ago, theseeker said:

How many GF’s we been in since he left champ? I don’t necessarily want him back but FMD people have short memories.

5 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

:lol: Everything that has caused my brain to evolve into what it currently is made me call him that. I have the illusion of free will because my brain told me that I came up with it after it had already thought of it.

I think that's how it works. 

As I said interesting.

In a football perspective would the "electical impulses" defence stand up to a match review/judicary panel after a send off.? :D

Rhyan Grant comes to mind......."it wasn't me but my electric impulses that made me go in studs up. I'm innocent"......