Western Sydney Wanderers vs Brisbane Roar 1/1/2020 7:30PM

50 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Is that in the laws of the game is it?  Don't recall it ever happening.  I was thinking otherwise it would be good if the rules allowed a temporary sub to be made for the duration of a play being off in the blood bin.  Isn't that twice now this season we have been scored against with a man off in that situation (DG I think it was )?

As far as I am aware, no. 

On 02/01/2020 at 7:40 AM, ZachMercer said:

Many of the players appear to have bought into this conspiracy theory of us being unfairly targeted (DG, PZ, PS, etc.) and once a player finds a external justification or something to blame rather than accept their own performance then you're in trouble. The reason is because grit (mentality for some) is the combination of passion + perseverance, and once you take away the reason to persevere (because it's outside of your control) you end up with apathy/acceptance.

The biggest f up that Babbel has done is give his players an excuse - that he's backed to protect his own job.

Summed it up perfectly IMHO.  Are you a pyschologist?  Siege mentality can be positive, and dare I say the "Us against them" mindset is part of the DNA of Western Sydney, but it needs to be channelled effectively so as not to become a self destructive force.  The thing is that this negative mindset has crept in to several generations of players and coaches now, so there must be more to it.  It is as if people arrive at the club positive and full of energy but after a while become infected, as if by some kind of virus. 

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

I mentioned in a previous post that even watching him walk, let alone try to run or jump, was painful in that game.

I didn't notice him dragging a leg, but if he is injured, that might explain it.

He certainly looked well past playing at this level.

It reminded me of a kid going through puberty still getting used to controlling his own growing body. Similar to the first time a sheila gets in high heels.

On 02/01/2020 at 8:13 AM, Generator said:

Just let the bloody thing go for FFS

While we are letting things go, is that the dude from Dawson's Creek in your profile picture? :P

On 02/01/2020 at 9:30 AM, StringerBellend said:

I thought I was the woke PC gone mad loon round here

Nah, yeah - you still are ey :)

Is woke a verb or a noun?  It doesn't make sense.  Guess I need to re-watch me Dave Chappelle on Netflix.

Edited by LeeMarvin
On 02/01/2020 at 9:07 AM, 102megan said:

Gambling = bad. 

Wanderers’ season = bad. 

However, the opposite would also be correct.

22 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

with muscat looking like he has an o/s gig lined up I can't see any point in sacking babbel now. there is no obvious local replacement (that I can see/think of) so it would be another foreign appointment who would spend the rest of the season confused by the league (scheduling, reffing, cap, visa system, heat etc) and it would be a waste of time and money for very little benefit as I reckon most of the players will be gone before the start of next year anyway.

Agree with the first part of your statement but not so sure about the second.  To me on paper we have the best squad we ever have, with all of the senior players having proved themselves at other clubs and the youth through our system.  If we have another total clean out of personnel it will be deja-vu all over again with at least another 2 years of re-building and excuses.

18 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

as much as i hate redmayne he has been going much better with the smurf's than he ever did with us

On that note, just read the Jaushua got a 2 year extension at the Nux...

19 hours ago, BohemianDublin said:

There's no, "right lads, lets get stuck in here and put this game away before half time".

In contrast with Neville on the other side after he scored.

15 hours ago, btron3000 said:

We could come full circle and have been people being "fixed" for their anti-social behaviour, like the shock treatment of the past!

Entering Clockwork Orange territory there...

5 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Agree with the first part of your statement but not so sure about the second.  To me on paper we have the best squad we ever have, with all of the senior players having proved themselves at other clubs and the youth through our system.  If we have another total clean out of personnel it will be deja-vu all over again with at least another 2 years of re-building and excuses.

This response to Lloydy, and a few other posts are spot on (one being Wanderboy's talking about SFC resigning players).

It goes to what I was trying to say last night. 

Whoever becomes the next coach... whenever ..should be told that players like most of our experienced local players stay...build a team around them. They are the starting block  as when Popa built his team.

The idea of another annual "clean out", quite frankly, would disgust me.

What do you guys think about Ernie Merrick coaching us?

Do you think his personality and temperament would suit WSW?

Do you think he has a clear footballing philosophy?

Just throwing names around.

Opinions?

14 minutes ago, WanderingToqui said:

Opinions?

honestly not a fan but my opinion is based on he is the most boring person on the planet maybe he is a good coach but i dont want him to put everyone in a coma with his press conferences, at least with babbel we get some amusement out of them :P

31 minutes ago, wendybr said:

This response to Lloydy, and a few other posts are spot on (one being Wanderboy's talking about SFC resigning players).

Whoever becomes the next coach... whenever ..should be told that players like most of our experienced local players stay...build a team around them. They are the starting block  as when Popa built his team.

The idea of another annual "clean out", quite frankly,p would disgust me.

Concur but on the flip side based off what we have seen this season in the Hypothetical world of what if all players were off contract how many would we want back 

for me the only locks are 

lopar, schwegler, duke & georgevski and a few youngsters wilmering, grozos adam & sullivan

for me anyone else I’m not missing if they decide they move on - few maybes like baccus, jurman 

rest can go won’t be missed based off what we have seen thus far 

amazing isn’t it 12 months ago we were frothing at the mouth about Yeboah and now no one wants him. Football and time can be very enlightening ☺️

1 hour ago, WanderingToqui said:

Opinions?

On face value what would it say about us that we signed a coach whose team is currently running last.

38 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Concur but on the flip side based off what we have seen this season in the Hypothetical world of what if all players were off contract how many would we want back 

for me the only locks are 

lopar, schwegler, duke & georgevski and a few youngsters wilmering, grozos adam & sullivan

for me anyone else I’m not missing if they decide they move on - few maybes like baccus, jurman 

rest can go won’t be missed based off what we have seen thus far 

amazing isn’t it 12 months ago we were frothing at the mouth about Yeboah and now no one wants him. Football and time can be very enlightening ☺️

I'd add Muller to the maybes if he was played in his preferred position as winger.

4 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

From mack's squad development thread......

Expiring Year 2019/20
Alexander Meier (Foreign)
Bruce Kamau
Daniel Lopar (Foreign)
Daniel Wilmering (U21)
Mitch Duke
Mathieu Cordier
Matthew Jurman
Nicholas Suman (U21)
Nick Sullivan
Nicolai Muller (Foreign, Injury Replacement for Majewski)
Pirmin Schwegler (Foreign)
Radoslaw Majewski (Foreign)
Tarek Elrich
Tate Russel (U21)
Tass Mourdoukoutas

How many of these will realistically stay? I would say the none of the visa players bought here by MB would stay if he got sacked.

The rest? Who knows but if we were certain we were going to keep them we would know by now because after jan 1st any club can start negotiating with them. If I had to guess I would say most on this list will be gone (along with MB) and baby baccus will also likely be sold.

Luckily we still have vedran locked down for another 3 years!

Edited by lloydy136

In other news. Mcdonald is joining the Roar.

Bloody hell !!!! We could do with a goal scorer.

McDonald to join Roar after PFA resolves Western United dispute

Former Socceroos and Celtic striker Scott McDonald has agreed terms on an 18-month deal with Brisbane Roar, after the PFA intervened to help extricate him from a short and unhappy spell at Western United.

McDonald’s future with the A-League new boys has been in question since a mid-December fallout with coach Mark Rudan.

And on Friday it became clear that, with the aid of players union mediation, the 36-year-old marksman was free to cut ties with United and add firepower to a Roar front line crying out for goals.

McDonald was left out of Western United’s squad for Friday’s derby against Melbourne City, with Brisbane hoping to have the paperwork finalised on his move north over the weekend.

It’s anticipated that McDonald - who scored once in nine appearances for United on his long-awaited return to Australia - could make his debut in Saturday week’s visit of Melbourne City.

Newcastle Jets and Central Coast Mariners were also in the market for McDonald when it became apparent his relationship with Rudan had soured.

But, it’s understood, the desire to work under legendary Liverpool goal king turned rookie coach Robbie Fowler was always his preference once the PFA acted to resolve a dispute over the terms of his release and facilitate a contract termination.

The move provides a fresh platform for McDonald to showcase his ruthless instincts - and slick involvement in build up play - at a club buoyed by Wednesday’s 2-1 win at Western Sydney Wanderers.

With just 12 goals scored in 11 games, Brisbane sit three points off the playoffs in ninth spot.

The belief is that McDonald’s guile in the final third could help change the course of their season.

23 minutes ago, WanderingToqui said:

In other news. Mcdonald is joining the Roar.

Bloody hell !!!! We could do with a goal scorer.

McDonald to join Roar after PFA resolves Western United dispute

Former Socceroos and Celtic striker Scott McDonald has agreed terms on an 18-month deal with Brisbane Roar, after the PFA intervened to help extricate him from a short and unhappy spell at Western United.

McDonald’s future with the A-League new boys has been in question since a mid-December fallout with coach Mark Rudan.

And on Friday it became clear that, with the aid of players union mediation, the 36-year-old marksman was free to cut ties with United and add firepower to a Roar front line crying out for goals.

McDonald was left out of Western United’s squad for Friday’s derby against Melbourne City, with Brisbane hoping to have the paperwork finalised on his move north over the weekend.

It’s anticipated that McDonald - who scored once in nine appearances for United on his long-awaited return to Australia - could make his debut in Saturday week’s visit of Melbourne City.

Newcastle Jets and Central Coast Mariners were also in the market for McDonald when it became apparent his relationship with Rudan had soured.

But, it’s understood, the desire to work under legendary Liverpool goal king turned rookie coach Robbie Fowler was always his preference once the PFA acted to resolve a dispute over the terms of his release and facilitate a contract termination.

The move provides a fresh platform for McDonald to showcase his ruthless instincts - and slick involvement in build up play - at a club buoyed by Wednesday’s 2-1 win at Western Sydney Wanderers.

With just 12 goals scored in 11 games, Brisbane sit three points off the playoffs in ninth spot.

The belief is that McDonald’s guile in the final third could help change the course of their season.

No thanks. We don’t need another old striker who can’t score.

14 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I’m a bit torn in the Meirer thing, obviously it’s not working 1 goal from a marquee is nowhere near enough. But it also drives me mad that a large chunk of our crowd yelling or him to run more, call for yeboah to get on as he runs and then cheer as he runs around like a headless chicken. I’m not arsed if our striker runs he just needs to score 

Yeboah’s first contribution summed him up, takes the ball go past a man keeps going, runs to the by line, mis controls the  ball and they get a goal kick 

Meier obviously hasn’t been great but it doesn’t help that very few of his teammates have the intelligence to utilise him properly. He’s a typical big target man who likes to hold the ball up and lay it off which he has been trying to do relentlessly if you watch him carefully. Muller seems to be the only one who occasionally picks up on this and non-coincidently has gotten a threatening shot away on these occasions. The rest of our midfield and wingers seem to think that at 35 and already not blessed with great speed, they can thread a through ball through and Meier will take it 20-30 m towards goal and skin 2-3 defenders. It’s little things like this I’m referring to when I keep saying that I don’t think the players are being smart. 

Re Yeboah - Can’t fault his effort but his touch and general ball control has progressively worsened as the season rolls on. It was atrocious the other night. For me he also becomes a liability when he fatigues because he still wants to keep giving 100% but his way of doing so is to just randomly throw himself about the field in the hope of getting in the way of something.

On 02/01/2020 at 7:04 PM, wendybr said:

What is that... seriously?

Over and over and over again it's happened, with Aaron Mooy being one of the first examples, and now look at him!

Throughout the A League, we would have players that are playing well enough to still be ours.

It's been said before, but it is the worst feature of this club (and it's a bad feature).

Already we are talking about a player clean out next year, with anew manager.

Can't it be that we have passionate players who play for the shirt and for the people of the area - Daniel G, Tarek and  Mitch D  come to mind - and they should form the spine of the team going forward.

Rather than finding a foreign coach who gets to turf out players he doesnt want, bring in a mob of his compatriots (,Gombau and Babbel both did it) and somehow, despite their collective skills, not build a competitive, cohesive squad, who work together.

I know what's wrong in that area...but don't know if it happens elsewhere (I think not, in the effective teams), or how to fix it.

PS would it be a problem to have a proprtion of the team Aussies, and then a significant proprtion of the team say German speaking (ours)  Spaniards (Gombau) Fowler with his pommie imports?

Not sure that makes sense...thinking aloud ( so to speak) and would love insights into how to build team loyalty and continuity.

Mentioned yesterday that ANOTHER player cleanout would disgust me...and that whatever international players are retained or brought in, I think some passionate locals like Mitch and Daniel (and even Tarek if he's up for it) should form the loyal local heart of the team. Plus the youngsters.

I should have added that Matt Jurman should stay too.

This confirmed it.

20 hours ago, wendybr said:

The idea of another annual "clean out", quite frankly, would disgust me.

We need to hold on to our best players and performing players but holding on to non performing players for “stability” won’t get us anywhere 

Take last seasons clear out who would you wanted to keep?  With hindsight maybe ABJ?

10 hours ago, hughsey said:

Meier obviously hasn’t been great but it doesn’t help that very few of his teammates have the intelligence to utilise him properly. He’s a typical big target man who likes to hold the ball up and lay it off which he has been trying to do relentlessly if you watch him carefully. Muller seems to be the only one who occasionally picks up on this and non-coincidently has gotten a threatening shot away on these occasions. The rest of our midfield and wingers seem to think that at 35 and already not blessed with great speed, they can thread a through ball through and Meier will take it 20-30 m towards goal and skin 2-3 defenders. It’s little things like this I’m referring to when I keep saying that I don’t think the players are being smart. 

Re Yeboah - Can’t fault his effort but his touch and general ball control has progressively worsened as the season rolls on. It was atrocious the other night. For me he also becomes a liability when he fatigues because he still wants to keep giving 100% but his way of doing so is to just randomly throw himself about the field in the hope of getting in the way of something.

Exactly

Yeboah reminds me

of sotirio, he’s a good athlete but I’m not sure he’s had football sense

21 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

We need to hold on to our best players and performing players but holding on to non performing players for “stability” won’t get us anywhere 

Take last seasons clear out who would you wanted to keep?  With hindsight maybe ABJ?

It's not just for stability, for continuity.

I hope, one day, we'll  have a Leigh Broxham or two...ie people who play their whole careers at our club.

If you're asking ME about who I'd have kept from last year....well...lol.

I hardly bother to learn their names these days, because by the time I do, they'll have received their marching orders. :unknw:

Of course we kept some of the right ones....like Mitch. He's the sort of player Im talking about.

6 minutes ago, wendybr said:

It's not just for stability, for continuity.

I hope, one day, we'll  have a Leigh Broxham or two...ie people who play their whole careers at our club.

If you're asking ME about who I'd have kept from last year....well...lol.

I hardly bother to learn their names these days, because by the time I do, they'll have received their marching orders. :unknw:

Of course we kept some of the right ones....like Mitch. He's the sort of player Im talking about.

End of season 4 was when we let the wrong players go

NTS,

Bridge (although he came back)

Andreu and Alberto

Jamieson

Castelan 

Season 4 team just needed a striker

last season I can’t think of anyone who left that was performing, maybe Reira, we could do with ABJ in the current team, Meirer would be on a heap more 

Edited by StringerBellend
10 hours ago, hughsey said:

With regard to Meier, agree but surely this comes down to the coach - we’ve signed this fella to do blah and this is what I want you blokes to do to facilitate him.....yet we see nothing like this on the pitch, well rarely anyway. It’s just bizarre at times and reflects poorly on the manager and assistant

I wonder whether this Summer's weather conditions (for training)  in Western Sydney are taking a toll?

I know Perth and Adelaide have more prolonged heat waves and hotter Summers... but we've had weeks of smoke as well.

Damned sure I wouldn't want to be out on a training pitch today!