Simon Cox

mack

3 hours ago, Davo said:

Imagine being such a shambles of a club that players spend a season here and decide being a professional footballer isn’t for them anymore.

imagine a club that signs a player who realises hes past playing, then replace him with another player who realises that he's past playing

• 1 month later...

Coxy did a bit of a Q&A a few hours ago on instagram while he was up and trying to get his daughter to sleep, some of his answers to some questions were interesting so I thought I'll share it:

Q: What's coming next football wise? playing or coaching?

A: Open to all options, I want to give back to the next generation of footballers and want to help them on their way to earning a career. But, I'm also open for another season. The phone is always on.

Q: Apart from Duke, who was the best WSW player?

A: I wouldn't of said Duke was the best player. Best player was Dorran or Schwegler.

(I feel Duke might of sent him that question as a joke)

Q: What advice would you give a UK-based player considering a move to an A-League club?

A: 100% Go and experience it. I absolutely loved my time in the A-League.

Q: Would you ever come back to Southend in some capacity?

A: I would, yes. I put my CV to be a first time coach but they wantt someone with more experience 

Q: What team you support?

A: Liverpool FC

Q: Any parts of Australia you missing?

A: The beaches and weather.

Q: Where does the A-League stand compare to other leagues?

A: I always get asked this. The heat is the biggest factor to consider so I'd say top end League 1 and bottom end Championship. 

Q: Would you ever come back to the Wanderers to coach? 

A: I would one day

Q: Thoughts on Matty Derbyshire?

A: A very consistent goal scorer

Q: As fans, we hear alot about the new WSW training facilities, how do they stack up against those in Europe?

A: It would be right up there as one of the best in the Championship for sure.

Q: What are your thoughts on the RBB?

A: When they're allowed to be in the stadium, they create the beat atmosphere I've seen at club level.

Q: Did you enjoy playing under Carl Robinson and what position does the team need to strengthen?

A: A lot of good players so they need to replace as soon as possible. Strikers/Midfielders/Defenders all needed.

(Interesting that he avoided answering about Carl Robinson)

Q: What are the club owners and JT like to deal with at WSW?

A: I got on very well with JT and Lederer. They were very helpful in my decisions to stay and leave when I did.

Q: Be honest, what is the biggest issue why WSW didn't perform last season? 

A: Inconsistency across alot of things. Players Form/Team Selection etc.

Q: Is Tomer Hemed the right signing for Western Sydney? 

A: Could be a good signing if he gets the service.

Q: One thing you would change about A-League?

A: The people who run it.

18 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

Coxy did a bit of a Q&A a few hours ago on instagram while he was up and trying to get his daughter to sleep, some of his answers to some questions were interesting so I thought I'll share it:

A: Open to all options, I want to give back to the next generation of footballers and want to help them on their way to earning a career. But, I'm also open for another season. The phone is always on.

A: I wouldn't of said Duke was the best player. Best player was Dorran or Schwegler.

Q: What advice would you give a UK-based player considering a move to an A-League club?

A: I would, yes. I put my CV to be a first time coach but they wantt someone with more experience 

A: I always get asked this. The heat is the biggest factor to consider so I'd say top end League 1 and bottom end Championship. 

Q: As fans, we hear alot about the new WSW training facilities, how do they stack up against those in Europe?

A: When they're allowed to be in the stadium, they create the beat atmosphere I've seen at club level.

Q: Did you enjoy playing under Carl Robinson and what position does the team need to strengthen?

A: A lot of good players so they need to replace as soon as possible. Strikers/Midfielders/Defenders all needed.

A: I got on very well with JT and Lederer. They were very helpful in my decisions to stay and leave when I did.

Very interesting, I should have known he'd be a Kopite though

23 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Some very interesting answers there.

Credit to the RBB...for the impression they made on Cox, when he didn't see them at anything like their best.

👍👍

One or two derbies were decent. Obviously not as good as their peak, but a lot of potential.

7 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

Yeah, interesting he seemed to dodge the CR question…

12 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

An Irish kopite too @Ossified the worst kind

Well, it's often the Irish way, support Liverpool and play for Everton, ie Seamus Coleman, Kevin Kilbane, Kevin Sheedy etc. A few yrs ago when I visited Dublin (on Derby day) I could see many supporters heading for the Liverpool Ferry's with a mixture of Blue and Red jerseys. And often one would even see this division in families.  

If you were to ask the Irish what was Ireland's most easterly city most would tell you it was Liverpool.

21 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Well, it's often the Irish way, support Liverpool and play for Everton, ie Seamus Coleman, Kevin Kilbane, Kevin Sheedy etc. A few yrs ago when I visited Dublin (on Derby day) I could see many supporters heading for the Liverpool Ferry's with a mixture of Blue and Red jerseys. And often one would even see this division in families.  

If you were to ask the Irish what was Ireland's most easterly city most would tell you it was Liverpool.

Many many Liverpool supporters in Dublin of course. If you fly out of Dublin airport on a Sunday morning you see them staggering off the planes with their plastic bags with tins of lager, many are season ticket holders and do the trip regularly. 

I love Dublin and Ireland in general, I should be there NOW by the way if it was not for covid, that was the plan. Because of my mother’s maiden name I am a GOD in a small Leitrim town :D Everyone says they are related to me :D I can walk on ******* water in that place. 

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Many many Liverpool supporters in Dublin of course. If you fly out of Dublin airport on a Sunday morning you see them staggering off the planes with their plastic bags with tins of lager, many are season ticket holders and do the trip regularly. 

I love Dublin and Ireland in general, I should be there NOW by the way if it was not for covid, that was the plan. Because of my mother’s maiden name I am a GOD in a small Leitrim town :D Everyone says they are related to me :D I can walk on ******* water in that place. 

So there's a lot of shallow pools there!?

• 2 months later...

Coxy officially announced his retirement today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVDpgNOs58U/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here's what he posted: 

Today is the day that every footballer knows will come but never looks forward to. After speaking with my family today I announce my retirement from playing the sport I love. I’ve been fortunate to have lived through a dream and which I’ve been able to share with the people closest to me.

As a young boy from Reading who grew up watching his boyhood club to playing and scoring for them and being a part of the historic 106 club gaining promotion to the promised land. A young lad who dreamt of playing and scoring in the @premierleague to someone who represented @faireland 30 times and being part of the squad that went to Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine for the first time in nearly 30 years.

I made over 500 appearances and scored over 130 goals for clubs and country taking me across the @premierleague @sky.bet.championship @league.one and most recently the @aleaguemen in Australia.

I’d like to say thank you to all the managers who gave me a chance and to all the players and staff that I’ve had the pleasure to meet and play with in my career at @readingfc @brentfordfc @officiallyntfc @officialstfc @wba @officialnffc @bristolcityfc @sufcrootshall and @wswanderersfc, you’ve all been amazing. To the supporters who I’ve played for I hope I did you proud it wasn’t always good times but I can always say I tried my best so thank you for your support.

As much as I’m calling time on a playing career this is not the end in football for me. Since returning from Australia earlier this year I’ve been quietly going about seeking coaching/management roles but I never envisioned it being as challenging as it has been so far. I know that whoever gives me the opportunity to prove myself will see that I’m ready and raring to go with a career’s worth of experience and knowledge to pass on to the next generation of players.

Whilst I’m closing the door and looking back fondly on a career I’ve been lucky to have had, I’m generally excited for to the next chapter in football. Having now completed my UEFA A Licence and a Masters in Football Business & Management the future is really something I’m looking forward to as a coach or as part of the back room management staff.

Thank you
Coxy